Food & Drink #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes about the MM threads! I dipped my toe into them after finding this place thanks to Jack on Twitter. They absolutely dislike her, talk about her giving Harry blowjobs in public, (sure) and think Kate is a goddess (hmm). I want to find a thread with a similar vibe to Jack's, but haven't yet (except this one obvs).
the cleaning with mario one is hilarious I don’t follow him but once you’ve seen a bit of him they are so funny and not mad or nasty

@Nottonightbabe and @help i need some help! (if you’re on this thread?) sorry to hear it’s a struggle at the minute I’m just coming through a period of it and it’s tit. The world is mad at the minute isn’t it? Everything feels unsettled I felt better during lockdown when we knew where we stood xx

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Anyone else remember Hedgehog crisps? They were great. I am also very fond of marmite crisps, also good in a sandwich.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
@Nottonightbabe and @help i need some help! (if you’re on this thread?) sorry to hear it’s a struggle at the minute I’m just coming through a period of it and it’s tit. The world is mad at the minute isn’t it? Everything feels unsettled I felt better during lockdown when we knew where we stood xx
Babe, same. I feel like lockdown and the straightforward rules of it helped my anxiety so much in a way I didn't even recognise at the time. Now I'm back to making my own decisions and thinking about things, plus the extra mind-admin (so well described by @heretoreaditall2019 before) is creeping back up again and it's making me feel shakey in a way I haven't felt for months. @Nottonightbabe and @help i need some help! - hope you're doing ok. x

And I get cross with myself too, because none of it is really a big deal. All I need to do today is remember stuff I need to take with me as I'm off to my partner's for a few days, but it's his birthday, so there's presents, and food and just *extra* to remember. Even though I know he would be a bit annoyed at me for worrying about it, because he knows what I am like and would much rather I forgot things and was calm, than remembered everything and arrived in a state!

Also venturing out into the world means remembering extra bits and rules (masks etc). My mum and I were saying yesterday it's like the days of going out with a baby/toddler, where you have to plan a trip out like a military operation instead of grabbing your keys and going. Feel a bit daft complaining about it, because it's not exactly the worst thing in the world, but I don't know, it's just extra and I liked the calmness of before.

Anyway, I think we should all be extra kind to ourselves and realise that the weird times are properly not helping and to take it easy, generally and on beating ourselves up. I'm now off to write lists obsessively and not take my own advice. :rolleyes:

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I just realised I didn’t read the last 6 or so pages of thread #2 so skimmed through. @HarderFaster I apologise for being the person to add to JM thread#53 what the most liked title was. I was annoyed the mods had started the thread and not our lovely @Pocahontas so I just copied and pasted the most liked one without clicking who the poster was. Yours was a far better suggestion too!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I just realised I didn’t read the last 6 or so pages of thread #2 so skimmed through. @HarderFaster I apologise for being the person to add to JM thread#53 what the most liked title was. I was annoyed the mods had started the thread and not our lovely @Pocahontas so I just copied and pasted the most liked one without clicking who the poster was. Yours was a far better suggestion too!

Do not blame yourself! 😂❤

Reactions: 7

Ahahaha honestly, no hard feelings. To gain perspective I should just look at the actual books I've published 😂 but Tattle is its own petty microcosm.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
S'up Fraus! Had to do quite the Grunka as yesterday was taken up by A&E times as my inflammatory visual impairment is back so paid a visit to my wonderful eye hospital. Not all bad, got to sit in my fave chair yesss, got my treatment and a couple of belated happy birthdays when confirming my details :LOL:they are top babes there and I'm so lucky to receive treatment at such an excellent place<3

@Flumps your cakes are wonderful! I also have the same Tappit set as you :love: I gave up doing fondant/sugarpaste cakes aside from little accents as I was so tit at sculpting urgh. I'm a buttercream witch haha. I learned lots from/collect old books too. Congrats to your OH on the job!

Can confirm trying to get decent return on your cakes is a bleeping nightmare, and I am/was only ever a hobby baker who was often asked why I didn't sell. Largely people just don't want to pay what it actually costs and don't value your time.
In regard to insta cake people, there is a local bakery to me that do some direct copies of other people's designs without crediting them as inspo, which bothers me a lot.

There are trends in cake like anything else but it's poor form to rip off directly like that without saying where the idea came from IMO. I have used someone else's base design with very minor tweaking, but tagged and credited her when I posted the cake on insta. She actually replied to say she liked my version too which was v kind of her.

Crisps: Salt and Vinegar are my main fave, stronger the better. I concur with the Mccoys/Golden Wonder mentions above, plus Flavarings are my current jam, combining the strength with a maize snack base 10/10 chefs kiss.
Special mention to Wotsits, RIP Weenie Wotsits and Wafflers. Monster munch used to be good but are a bit insipid now. NikNaks are great still though. Kettle Chips I agree with all above inc the plain ones are the best of the lot.
Tyrells Furrows are great, crinkle anything is preferred. Seabrooks too, and special mention to LIDL crinkle premium big bags and the occasional Crusti Croc (what does this even mean haha)

Thoroughly enjoyed the highlights on the motherthread last night, I began to detach from it during the kitten time, and agree the general sentiment has changed significantly.

I stand by everything I said on there though, and believe that the content from 'our' end was peppered (black, plenty of) with genuinely helpful advice and came from a good place of critical thought and considered discussion. There was no unbased criticism or personal attacks, and anything factual was supported 100% and any posters who were presented with new information/perspectives took this on board. It doesn't feel the same now. Excuse the essay !

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Space Raiders are my fave crisps ever. Also love any salt & vinegar crisp.

I was just wondering if someone could explain the meaning of ham to me (by DM if needed)? I've worked out various things but don't understand the ham mentions

Reactions: 9
Stop encouraging me. It's the one vaguely creative skill I have, so I will show off. I liked making ones for kids best I think, though I do love making sugar flowers too.

View attachment 195049View attachment 195050View attachment 195051
You are truly an artist Flumps! These are wonderful. Have you ever made a Flumps cake?

Thanks to your avatar I watched some Flumps episodes on YouTube. I hadn’t seen them for 35 years, yet I remembered all the little characters so clearly. Funny how brains work as I can’t remember for the life of me where I put my very important letter yesterday that I now need.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Also venturing out into the world means remembering extra bits and rules (masks etc). My mum and I were saying yesterday it's like the days of going out with a baby/toddler, where you have to plan a trip out like a military operation instead of grabbing your keys and going. Feel a bit daft complaining about it, because it's not exactly the worst thing in the world, but I don't know, it's just extra and I liked the calmness of before.
You'll get used to it, I promise. Masks have become second nature to me now, along with applying gel every time I go into a shop and the rest of it. At first I found it all quite overwhelming, but that changes.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
There was a cake maker in my area who used to advertise in our local forum. It turned out that the pictures she was posting were taken from someone else’s site and she was called out on it. I don’t understand how anyone would have the chutzpah to do that. 😳🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
I’m amazed anyone can make a living from these small businesses. I have one that I’ve recently had to close down as it couldn’t survive without my retail customer orders through lockdown

My business was making handmade items and started off as a hobby. But it takes up so much time on top of a full time job. I would put so many hours in for such little return.

I bet it’s similar to cakes whereby people are reluctant to pay a fair price for a handmade quality item. And there’s always someone on Facebook doing a cheaper, lower quality version.

I’ve decided to just stick to making things as gifts for friends and family. It’s probably more rewarding in the long run. And less stressful.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’m amazed anyone can make a living from these small businesses. I have one that I’ve recently had to close down as it couldn’t survive without my retail customer orders through lockdown

My business was making handmade items and started off as a hobby. But it takes up so much time on top of a full time job. I would put so many hours in for such little return.

I bet it’s similar to cakes whereby people are reluctant to pay a fair price for a handmade quality item. And there’s always someone on Facebook doing a cheaper, lower quality version.

I’ve decided to just stick to making things as gifts for friends and family. It’s probably more rewarding in the long run. And less stressful.
I sew. People CONSTANTLY ask me why I don't sell the stuff I make. I have no interest in it - it would make me enjoy my hobby less, I have a career already, it would be hard to make money from it, and to be perfectly honest, I just wanna make stuff for myself. Especially because one of the main reasons to get into sewing is to make stuff to fit your particular body, which can take time to figure out.

The number of people who act like I'm a selfish witch for not using my hobby time to try to run a tit business I wouldn't enjoy is insane. I actually very rarely mention my sewing anymore, because the reaction is almost always, "Oh, let me give you unsolicited business advice!"

• Heart

I did some sewing and my mum some knitting to make baby items and bunting - I did some stalls and fairs but it was a lot of work for such little reward, I wasn't making any money after paying table fees and for materials, let alone any money for time (hah!). People would come up to the stall, call their friends over, pick up stuff and go "OH ISN'T THAT CUTE. SHAME IT'S SO EXPENSIVE" and then leave. I mean, £4 for knitted booties? £6 for a knitted hat that looks like a tomato? Ughhhhhhhhhh.

The last stall I did was at a Christmas market in my town, I had a teddy bear wearing some of the dribble bibs I'd made and a hat to make the display more interesting. I'd safety pinned the bears bum to table cloth which was good, as the number of unattended kids that came up and tried to grab him and take off? Spending a day smiling and having people tell you they could make all the stuff themselves? Exhausting.

Now my mum and I just make them for my friends who seem to be having a baby boom. Much more rewarding.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I sew. People CONSTANTLY ask me why I don't sell the stuff I make. I have no interest in it - it would make me enjoy my hobby less, I have a career already, it would be hard to make money from it, and to be perfectly honest, I just wanna make stuff for myself. Especially because one of the main reasons to get into sewing is to make stuff to fit your particular body, which can take time to figure out.

The number of people who act like I'm a selfish witch for not using my hobby time to try to run a tit business I wouldn't enjoy is insane. I actually very rarely mention my sewing anymore, because the reaction is almost always, "Oh, let me give you unsolicited business advice!"
It speaks so much to the state of the 21st century economy, where every single thing people do has to be monetised or presented as a side hustle. Nobody's allowed any downtime anymore, we all have to be working or trying to sell stuff in our 'spare time'.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.