Food & Drink #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t have time to GL to the end of this thread before bedtime, so I’m just going to say here that these are my top crisps :

Seabrooks Worcester sauce

I expect you’re all talking about something else now as I’m about 8 pages behind.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Yes, I am sure some of my techniques would be frowned upon in proper cake decorating circles. I started years ago (sounding like JM alert) back before fancy cakes were a massive cottage industry, so I bought a few books about making sugar flowers and then just made the rest up as I went along.
Omg you’re brilliant at it - I know what you mean it definitely is a cottage industry and I’ve seen some real shockers advertised locally, but yours are honestly amazing?! Have you ever though about selling them?

I love the artsy~ cakes with pastel smudges and edible flowers too, am aware this is v basic 😳

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Early lockdown DKL days were definitely the most entertaining! It's crazy how many new members there suddenly are...I wonder what triggered so many people to discover Tattle? I first found it by typing 'Father of Daughters twit' into google lol
I think a few came from Mumsnet - before their Jack thread was zapped, someone expressly mentioned tattle. And then I saw a few new members turning up.

Reactions: 13
I think a few came from Mumsnet - before their Jack thread was zapped, someone expressly mentioned tattle. And then I saw a few new members turning up.
I first heard about this place through Mumsnet (dunno why I read it so much, I'm not a mum, and the quality of the AIBUs just gets worse and worse) and came in to check out the Meghan Markle threads. Found them a bit mad, full of conspiracy theories about fake babies and the like, then I noticed that Jack Monroe had a thread...

I think Mumsnet tries to quickly stamp out any mention of Tattle though (not as quickly as they stamp out mentions of MNTrolls, mind!).

• Heart
Reactions: 12
GL-ing, obvs, as got delayed in Mother Thread with the old DKL reminiscences (hilarity ensued — good times, Fraus)

So while I wade through crisps (Tayto, obviously, but also any sweet chilli thing. Not keen on Walkers, but like a poppadom Sensation....) and HOOT at @Alansbigplate ’s reaction to the true nature of a gravy ring, I have been meaning to say that every time I see “Triangulate me” I read it in the voice of Mike Reid doing “Runaround”

1595972271584.jpeg

“TRIANGULATE ME — NAAAH!”

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I first heard about this place through Mumsnet (dunno why I read it so much, I'm not a mum, and the quality of the AIBUs just gets worse and worse) and came in to check out the Meghan Markle threads. Found them a bit mad, full of conspiracy theories about fake babies and the like, then I noticed that Jack Monroe had a thread...

I think Mumsnet tries to quickly stamp out any mention of Tattle though (not as quickly as they stamp out mentions of MNTrolls, mind!).
Tattle to Mumsnet.
🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Right, can everybody just stop being somebody else. Thanks 🙃

I asked where MG was because her posts were looonggg so it was noticeable when they disappeared.

Now I really have to go to sleep. Stop being interesting dear hearts

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Ohhh I'm going to make those straws and report back - new I could count on you flumps!

Also crisps chat: what is the greatest flavour/brand? I personally think a bag of smokey bacon walkers is hard to beat but I know I'm alone on this one...
I think Fiddlers’ Lancashire Crisps are the best. My mum always has them when I go home (can’t get them down here - London). Thin and crispy, just the right amount of salt.

Reactions: 5
Omg you’re brilliant at it - I know what you mean it definitely is a cottage industry and I’ve seen some real shockers advertised locally, but yours are honestly amazing?! Have you ever though about selling them?

I love the artsy~ cakes with pastel smudges and edible flowers too, am aware this is v basic 😳
I had a small business doing it for a while (with a punny name and everythin but it was so hard to charge the prices you need to charge to make it profitable, let alone to pay myself a reasonable salary. I did it in the evenings and weekends and just never got anywhere close to being able to make a leap to full-time. Sadly these were pre-Patreon/Crowdfunder days;)

I peaked around 2011 when a few of my cakes got featured in a book of cake decorating ideas. Which was cool but also a bit silly, just loads of pictures of cakes madeby different bakers. I’m not sure how useful it was to anyone who bought it. But it was kinda cool to pretend I was proper published

Then the market got saturated with loads of people who were hobbyists, which isn’t to say they were crap, not at all (though some were, and dishonest, I had some businesses steal my photos to pass off as my own, that was fun. One had the bare faced cheek to claim it wasn’t my photo, but their cake inspired by mine. Bizarre early social media gaslighting there) but because they didn’t need to make a lot of money from it, they were doing it for fun, it made the market incredibly hard to be profitable in.

So, in the end, I had to give it up as a business because it was driving me crazy from lack of sleep, I couldn’t see it going anywhere, I also was ill for a while then ran away from my marriage and it all got too much

I love edible flowers too. Here have some pretty ones @heretoreaditall2019

I’m off to bed, and will restrain from excessive cake photos in the future. You are all lovely to be so nice to me about them, I have fond memories of them as I lost myself in making them and they were a joy to me in a crappy time. x

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 32
I don’t remember how I found tattle apparently I’ve had an account Nearly two years? I first recall meldrum’s DLP drama but no idea why I ever started following her either. My poor brain not a clue. Used to poke head in and read the mother thread and it had such a lovely vibe then I was reading while DKL was on and hooting at you all

Reactions: 9
There’s new Sizzling Steak flavour Wotsits and they are yum. They taste like beef Monster Munch.

I love crisps. My favourite at the mo are Walkers Max Double Crunch. They do a BBQ flavour and a Chicken & Chorizo flavour which are both addictive.

Also Twiglets. I can eat a massive bag of those in one sitting.
Those Walkers Double Crunch Bold BBQ ribs are my favourite crisps at the moment. I totally forgot to mention them earlier.

Reactions: 4
I had a small business doing it for a while (with a punny name and everythin but it was so hard to charge the prices you need to charge to make it profitable, let alone to pay myself a reasonable salary. I did it in the evenings and weekends and just never got anywhere close to being able to make a leap to full-time. Sadly these were pre-Patreon/Crowdfunder days;)

I peaked around 2011 when a few of my cakes got featured in a book of cake decorating ideas. Which was cool but also a bit silly, just loads of pictures of cakes madeby different bakers. I’m not sure how useful it was to anyone who bought it. But it was kinda cool to pretend I was proper published

Then the market got saturated with loads of people who were hobbyists, which isn’t to say they were crap, not at all (though some were, and dishonest, I had some businesses steal my photos to pass off as my own, that was fun. One had the bare faced cheek to claim it wasn’t my photo, but their cake inspired by mine. Bizarre early social media gaslighting there) but because they didn’t need to make a lot of money from it, they were doing it for fun, it made the market incredibly hard to be profitable in.

So, in the end, I had to give it up as a business because it was driving me crazy from lack of sleep, I couldn’t see it going anywhere, I also was ill for a while then ran away from my marriage and it all got too much

I love edible flowers too. Here have some pretty ones @heretoreaditall2019

I’m off to bed, and will restrain from excessive cake photos in the future. You are all lovely to be so nice to me about them, I have fond memories of them as I lost myself in making them and they were a joy to me in a crappy time. x
Omg thank you for sharing these, it’s so lovely to see what you make, they’re fab and it’s interesting to hear about the business side of it too. You should share these on an insta, you’d build a following easily! I wonder what the cake insta community are like, hopefully less batshit than some other niches. Thankfully more solid than Jackie’s niche.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I’m enjoying trying to work out what’s actually about crisps and what’s triangulation. It’s like “hmm, who might Seabrooks Roast Beef crisps be?” “Ah, no, maybe just crisps”

I love Awkwafina. Babe.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.