Food & Drink #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For those who have an Ocado delivery, this is currently on offer

View attachment 185229
it is usually priced at £4.25 and although it is delicious, that's a bit spendy for me. Until 28th July this, and a couple of sister products, are £2.50. I love it in a large tumbler with a few ice cubes. Heartily recommend
May treat myself to an Ocado delivery soon. Love ordering from there as the range is so good but I've been put off by the high delivery charges of late.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm trying not to laugh.

Ocado have just informed me I'm on their priority delivery list for vulnerable customers.

It's the end of JULY.

I've been on the list for other supermarkets since March. I even emailed them in April to ask if they would be able to update their records as I was on the vulnerable list and got a snotty reply essentially saying I was taking the piss/it was impossible that I could be, as they'd already done all the work necessary (oh, and if I didn't like it, go to their website and log in to send another message - which their system didn't allow for people who weren't on the priority list).

But now, they've managed it.

They had been the only company I'd ever used since internet supermarket shopping first started. Well, them and Riverford (until the local delivery guy left), anyhow. I raised two kids and fed them, six cats, two dogs and three bouyfriends all on their deliveries. Only ever had two issues in all those years.

Oh, well.

I wonder what we can cook today with a buggered oven, no slow cooker and a stack of vegetables in the fridge?

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I'm trying not to laugh.

Ocado have just informed me I'm on their priority delivery list for vulnerable customers.

It's the end of JULY.

I've been on the list for other supermarkets since March. I even emailed them in April to ask if they would be able to update their records as I was on the vulnerable list and got a snotty reply essentially saying I was taking the piss/it was impossible that I could be, as they'd already done all the work necessary (oh, and if I didn't like it, go to their website and log in to send another message - which their system didn't allow for people who weren't on the priority list).

They had been the only company I'd ever used since internet supermarket shopping first started. Well, them and Riverford (until the local delivery guy left), anyhow. I raised two kids and fed them, six cats, two dogs and three bouyfriends all on their deliveries. Only ever had two issues in all those years.

Oh, well.

I wonder what we can cook today with a buggered oven, no slow cooker and a stack of vegetables in the fridge?
OT but so jealous you have six cats 😍 I have one and would love more but can’t really afford it atm

Reactions: 7
I'm trying not to laugh.

It's the end of JULY.

Oh, well.

Yeah I think Ocado’s response to the pandemic has been truly dire so I’m sadly not surprised, I think there was a 2/3 week period where they weren’t trading at all with site & app shut to fix it all? I’m still reserving slots up to 3 weeks ahead because I don’t trust that they’ll still be available if I don’t! And you still have to finalise your shop 2 days before it’s due rather than the standard 1!

Most excitingly they’re getting M&S food on site in October!!! I still can’t imagine being out and about in society properly by then so it’ll be a lovely treat tbh.

Reactions: 12
Hopefully, because it's the end of term, she's just busy and readying herself for another epic catchup?

Lunch today is

Charentais Melon
Goats' Cheese
Tomatoes
Olive oil, apple cider vinegar and thyme dressing.

Reactions: 6
Re Ocado, I couldn’t get into my account until a couple of weeks ago. This was after I had emailed them months ago to ask to be informed when delivery would be available again. I did not spend hundreds of pounds a week or month with them so I think this is why they didn’t make me a priority customer. I was locked out of my account in mid March when I had a prebooked order for the 19th so even when I got back in, after being in a queue for more than 4 hours, I could not edit the order so ended up getting many items I didn’t want any longer. I have noticed that their prices have gone up a lot and have still not placed an order. I like that their minimum order is only £40 whereas Waitrose is £60, but I’ve decided to order more tinned things via Waitrose in case deliveries go belly up come Brexit time.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
There’s a Taco Bell in my town (triangulate me) but I haven’t been. When I was in America donkeys years ago I liked the diner chain Johnny Rockets. I’m sure only tourists went there but it was like being in Grease. I was veggie then but not vegan and I had a milkshake/coke float thing that was divine.
I used to live in a town with a Taco Bell, the food is okay but a bit generic fast food. Even the ‘fire’ hot sauce is only mildly spicy and I say that as someone who can’t handle much spice. They do apple Tango with unlimited refills though, which kept me going back

I went to Johnny Rockets on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship years ago. All I remember is the salty apple pie which was amazing!

Reactions: 4
I used to live in a town with a Taco Bell, the food is okay but a bit generic fast food. Even the ‘fire’ hot sauce is only mildly spicy and I say that as someone who can’t handle much spice. They do apple Tango with unlimited refills though, which kept me going back

I went to Johnny Rockets on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship years ago. All I remember is the salty apple pie which was amazing!
I liked the unlimited Lipton peach iced tea refills that I had at the Fulham Taco Bell. I’m easily pleased. I also had their vegetarian burritos.

Reactions: 4
I had a McDonalds breakfast this am for the first time in forever and it was joyous. Sausage McMuffin and hash brown mmmm.

Better cook something a bit more virtuous for dinner.

Reactions: 9
I had a McDonalds breakfast this am for the first time in forever and it was joyous. Sausage McMuffin and hash brown mmmm.

Better cook something a bit more virtuous for dinner.
I love making sausage/ham/bacon and egg muffins.

Packet of muffins from the shop. Split and put in the toaster.

Take sausage out of its casing and squish - you'll get at least two from a single sausage - and put in the pan on a low heat. Or stick bacon on to cook.

If you're having ham, put it in the pan with an egg, as it'll heat through quickly.

Put a slice of decent cheese on the bottom muffin layer, add meat, add egg, add another slice of cheese.

And frozen hash browns are dirt cheap for a bag.

The taste is pretty much the same, but there's no waiting around in MaccyD's and isn't quite such a greasefest as the fast food option.

Of course, you then need wanky orange juice to pretend that you're eating healthily, but it's still preferable in my mind to having to endure the outside world at that time of the morning.

Tonight's dinner is going to be steak fajitas. Well, steak strips, spices, onion and sliced peppers, at any rate. I'm leaving it up to Mr D to sort out the fine details, as he's hardly cooked this week and I don't want him forgetting how to.

• Heart
I’m making Katsu curry from scratch with sticky rice. Smells good so far! Open to any expert tips from the esteemed cabal 🙌

ETA for the first ever time!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Batch of cupcakes to slap the lemon icing onto? I'd do a normal cupcake batter with some additional lemon zest, fill the cases a third full, pop in a 1/2 tsp or so of lemon curd and then top with more batter. Then you have a lovely lemony centre, with the cream cheese icing on top. Or you know, a spoon works too. Or squidge it between digestive biscuits and you have an emergency cheesecake type thing.

Delia is properly reliable for cakes. Nigella normally is too. And online the BBC food recipes seem well tested.
Agree with Flumps that the liquid to dry ingredients seems odd
Also using buttermilk in a cake batter is meant to provide rise through the acidity of the buttermilk? I seem to remember. Two-and-a-half tsps of baking powder seems a bit much. I hate using too much baking powder as I think anything more than a teaspoon leaves a really bitter / dry aftertaste. Plus granulated sugar is weird as it won’t cream as well with the butter as caster?
shame about the icing - but yep on cupcakes would be yummy!

I always find Delia, Mary Berry or Nigella pretty failsafe for cake recipes also!
Thank you @Flumps and @Pocahontas - I made some lemon cupcakes this morning from a nice BBC food recipe and whacked the lemon icing on them. Sorted! Much happier - the lemon cake was a request from my husband who doesn't normally eat cake so I was trying very hard to please. Been waiting until I'd tasted them to say thank you but I'm very grateful for the encouragement :)

Does anyone remember when the BBC were threatening to shut down the food section of their website? I'm so glad they didn't.

• Heart
  • Wow
I’m making Katsu curry from scratch with sticky rice. Smells good so far! Open to any expert tips from the esteemed cabal 🙌

Just practical ones.

Assuming you're righthanded, get your flour/potato starch/cornflour in one largish flat container, your beaten egg in another and your panko in another. Set up a draining/cooling rack or your grill pan on the side with kitchen roll underneath to catch any drips.

1. USE YOUR RIGHT HAND. Put the chicken in the flour and dust it off once it feels dry.

2. USE YOUR LEFT HAND. Put the floured chicken into the egg and then, using a fork in your RIGHT HAND drop it into the panko/swirl around a bit to cover.

3. USE YOUR RIGHT HAND. Make sure the panko covers the chicken. Put chicken on a plate. Repeat until all pieces of chicken are done.

4. Wipe hands and start placing them in hot oil. If you don't have a temperature controlled fryer, the oil is hot enough when, if you stand a wooden chopstick in the oil, you get little bubbles around it about the same size as those in fizzy drinks.

5. When the chicken comes to the surface (like it's been swimming and come up to breathe), it's cooked through. You could slice it into pieces then if you like actually having bite size stuff to eat with chopsticks. I do.

Means you don't end up with gunky egg/flour/panko fingers, nothing gets burned, you don't get poisoned and the chicken stays crispy whilst you sort out plates/bowls and sauce.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Ooo one of my favourites! Good luck with it.

Is now a good time to admit that I don’t actually do much cooking?! My husband loves to cook and bake so he does the majority in our house.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
@TheDragonWithAFlagon lovely Dragon, I am a beastly vegetarian. My crispy thing is out of the freezer, alas. Thank you so much for this though, as I have screenshotted it for aubergine etc purposes in future. Have made the sauce myself though (attempts to redeem freezer laziness) xx

Ooo one of my favourites! Good luck with it.

Is now a good time to admit that I don’t actually do much cooking?! My husband loves to cook and bake so he does the majority in our house.
I haven’t had it since I wasn’t veggie. So I’ve used a crispy fake chicken thing. Excited!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I randomly ( ina. Hungry haven’t eaten shop, will I ever learn) bought veggie charms strips yday so I’m trying those in pitta with veg.. anyone tried them? Cannot remember the brand but I got in fridge section of Waitrose

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.