Food and Drink #52

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
aw, loreens great

I didn't like tattoo that much back in may of last year, but it very much improved for me in the autumn lol lmao

ETA

I'm in the wrong thread

loves you all!
I've got tickets to see Loreen on her tour next year, love her 💃🏼

Reactions: 6
You are Jose saramango aicmfp
Are you joking me?

This is a compliment of the highest order. I send cheer to you and your kingfishers; may their conservation be as excellent as your cheese, McChops

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I didn't see any aurora. Was asleep Friday night, looked last night but there was nothing. Apparently though there may be other opportunities through the year as the sun is just hitting the peak of its cycle, so more solar activity ahead 😊.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Hello F&D ninnies! Please can I pick your clever and experienced brains?

I want to get my nan an ipad because she's struggling with the cheap-ish amazon tablet I previously told her she should get (and the one before that lol). I think she'd still struggle with an iPad but it would at least be more durable?

She's early 70s and in terms of her computer literacy, back in the day could use the computer to do her banking, play games, email etc. She has hearing and sight difficulties (but is still able to text, use the tablet to watch stuff and just about email these days), and is bed bound so is dependent on having some kind of tech for entertainment and connection to the outside world.

Do any ninnies in a similar position, or with family members in a situation, have any recommendations for old/disabled friendly ipads on a low budget? Or any kind of tablet really, so long as she'll be able to use it properly! £200 is probably as high as I can go. I can see there's plenty of options for refurbished models but I'm slightly apple-phobic so don't know what I'm looking for and mindful if I get her something that runs too slowly she'll automatically write it off as useless and then that's another £200 down the pan!

• Heart
Mr D is firmly in the doghouse as he’s only just slunk in after his Eurovision party last night with a stinking hangover and has gone straight to bed . I am trying to pretend that I’m all indignant at the fact he’s hungover and has missed time with his kids but really I’m just a bit jealous
---

I want to get my nan an ipad because she's struggling with the cheap-ish amazon tablet I previously told her she should get (and the one before that lol). I think she'd still struggle with an iPad but it would at least be more durable?

She's early 70s and in terms of her computer literacy, back in the day could use the computer to do her banking, play games, email etc. She has hearing and sight difficulties (but is still able to text, use the tablet to watch stuff and just about email these days), and is bed bound so is dependent on having some kind of tech for entertainment and connection to the outside world.

Do any ninnies in a similar position, or with family members in a situation, have any recommendations for old/disabled friendly ipads on a low budget? Or any kind of tablet really, so long as she'll be able to use it properly! £200 is probably as high as I can go. I can see there's plenty of options for refurbished models but I'm slightly apple-phobic so don't know what I'm looking for and mindful if I get her something that runs too slowly she'll automatically write it off as useless and then that's another £200 down the pan!
No advice as I’m from an Apple family, and when I worked in sen/social care , most of our students who used tablets also had apple because they are pretty good for accessibility apps etc , but this site seems to have a pretty good breakdown of the most popular tablets , which might help you narrow down your search

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14

I'd probably look at an Android tablet rather than Apple, then you can get one of a decent screen size within your budget. We got Lenovo tablets for the little ones at Christmas and have been happy with those. Definitely add a decent case whichever you go for 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Some of the older iPads are a bit slow but they have lots of features for sight impaired people. Disclaimer, I'm not really techy but I use my iPad to read books and play games, it was a refurbished buy and has lasted a while.

• Heart

I got 2 secondhand iPads from cex, you can return if they’re not ok, like if they’re scratched and meant to be perfect. I think apple is good for accessibility features.

• Heart

I use an iPad and for a long time it was a refurbished one from cash converters. That meant I got a 1 year warranty.

I’m an Apple wankeruser so for me, I like that the phone and iPad are connected, meaning I can itext on either, same with email.
The accessibility features are great although IDK what android is like. Some features need to be set up so you might have to help out initially.

I had a grandparent who was similar, unfortunately it turned out that the problem was their mental decline rather than the tech they were using, just couldn’t remember how to log on, open email etc. so maybe ask if someone can lend you an iPad for a try-out before you buy?

• Heart
I can't use apple products as I sided with windows. I have a 100 quid Samsung tablet and I stream movies on it . It works.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm an Apple wanker because my friend sold her old iPhone to me for $100. I might have been a wanker prior to that, I'm not really sure.

Sunday Susan.
1715526846692.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I love Susan’s ‘tache!

Alfie is jealous because it would match his goatcatee.

IMG_6078.jpeg

Also thank you everybody for your suggestions! All super helpful. In the spirit of resource sharing, I’ve found an organisation called AbilityNet who do home visits to help those who need it navigate tech/the internet etc. So will see if I can get them out to her once we’ve found her something she can use!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I love Susan’s ‘tache!

Alfie is jealous because it would match his goatcatee.

View attachment 2931191

Also thank you everybody for your suggestions! All super helpful. In the spirit of resource sharing, I’ve found an organisation called AbilityNet who do home visits to help those who need it navigate tech/the internet etc. So will see if I can get them out to her once we’ve found her something she can use!
That is useful, thanks!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Not here yet, but expecting quite a lot overnight.

I signed up for Netflix yesterday on the grounds that they were the only people streaming Anyone But You (watched it on the plane home and we landed 15 minutes before the end) only to find that it's only available in the US :mad: So since I have it for at least a month, what should I be watching? We went for Red Notice last night on the grounds that Ryan Reynolds and Dwayne Johnson is usually an entertaining combination.

(In a happy bit of luck, Amazon Prime sent me a £5 voucher for Prime Video this morning and they had it on offer for £6.99, so I bought it for £1.99 and will be inflicting it on Mr F at some point next week!)

• Heart
I went to collect my glasses today. I now wear or am supposed to, every moment glasses, unless close up stuff. I have to swap then. Thinking I'll carry on seeing the world mainly soft focus. Is that bad for my peepers?

Reactions: 9
Not here yet, but expecting quite a lot overnight.

I signed up for Netflix yesterday on the grounds that they were the only people streaming Anyone But You (watched it on the plane home and we landed 15 minutes before the end) only to find that it's only available in the US :mad: So since I have it for at least a month, what should I be watching? We went for Red Notice last night on the grounds that Ryan Reynolds and Dwayne Johnson is usually an entertaining combination.

(In a happy bit of luck, Amazon Prime sent me a £5 voucher for Prime Video this morning and they had it on offer for £6.99, so I bought it for £1.99 and will be inflicting it on Mr F at some point next week!)
Have you seen Deadloch? That’s prime.

rain was kind of a short shower and now there’s been lightning and thunder once

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.