Food and Drink #39

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love a bit of satisfying cleaning debris.
---
I quite like watching tonsil stone extractions (but I’m ashamed to admit that).

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
WHY DID I GOOGLE THAT? :sick: :oops:
(I may or may not have watched several more after the first video I found)

I've had tonsil stones once before. They were quite big, but I just popped them out myself. 🤷‍♀️
I didn't realise I could have been monetising it on youtube!

Ninnies.... (dramatic pause).... I have not been procrastinating, I have addressed it head-on, and I am half way through my PIP review form!!

I've claimed PIP for years and DLA before that for various things that basically mean I'm non-functional. Last year I got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after 15+ years of Chronic Fatigue and widespread pain. It's like suddenly everything made sense, which was kind of comforting. Much like my recent not-quite-diagnosed-yet-but-suspected cPTSD, suddenly everything made sense.

Learning so much about them over the past year has made me so much better equipped to tackle this bloody form. I qualified for the highest rates before those diagnoses but I struggled to find the language to describe how my symptoms affected me, I didn't have a 'name' for any of it. It's nice to get to know and understand yourself in such a profound way at the age of 41.

After having to go to appeal last time because they scored me zero for everything and stopped my benefits, I've been dreading the form arriving. But having done half of it so far I'm feeling a bit more positive about it. The guides on the benefits&work website have been updated with loads more detail than there was 4 years ago when I last had to use them. The subscription is worth every penny.
It's disgusting that the site needs to exist. Disgusting that anyone who struggles enough to qualify for PIP (or any benefit really) has to pay to access information on how to jump through the DWP's hoops in exactly the right way to be able to get money that their literal lives depend on... I don't begrudge the subscription, I would willingly pay more if it cost more and I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it. I begrudge the fact that there's a need for it in the first place, that the government has made it so difficult for some of the most vulnerable people in our country to just survive, that those hoops they make you jump through are so riddled with traps and lies and, any reason at all to deny you your benefits. The whole thing makes me so depressed on an existential level... as if I wasn't claiming for lifelong Depression already:ROFLMAO:

Sending all the ninnies all the love ❤❤❤

• Heart
Reactions: 18
New Simon's cat if anyone needs a laugh.
The kitten always reminds me of Susan who is currently sitting on my foot.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
@ElbiePickle or any fatigue/long Covid peeps, if you are doing pacing at all, I had a book recommended last week at my private/charity ME Dr appointment. It’s called “Classic Pacing for a better life with ME” if you look inside on Amazon, you can see from the detailed chapter headings that the author knows their stuff.

• Heart
Eh, lads, my old man has had another stroke. He's at home recuperating by watching Father Ted, Ghosts and Cunk on Earth. Thankfully it was very mild but this is the third in less than two years so it's a bit of a worry.
I'll be heading down to see him in a fortnight or so, I get a free train ticket every year from Disability Services so I'll be getting a train to a larger town near the border then a coach to his town.
The coach ride is nice on the way down, it goes along the coast and through some gorgeous forested areas. Last time I saw a wallaby and a koala leaving the forest together which was really cute. I just have to wait until my payment comes through so I can book my tickets. 🐨 🦘

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
Eh, lads, my old man has had another stroke. He's at home recuperating by watching Father Ted, Ghosts and Cunk on Earth. Thankfully it was very mild but this is the third in less than two years so it's a bit of a worry.
I'll be heading down to see him in a fortnight or so, I get a free train ticket every year from Disability Services so I'll be getting a train to a larger town near the border then a coach to his town.
The coach ride is nice on the way down, it goes along the coast and through some gorgeous forested areas. Last time I saw a wallaby and a koala leaving the forest together which was really cute. I just have to wait until my payment comes through so I can book my tickets. 🐨 🦘
Hope he’s ok MCM. I can recommend Black Books if he’s completed his telly watching.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Sending massive love to you and Old man MaineCoon . Can also recommend Yonderland ( made by the same idiots who made ghosts , assuming you mean the bbc version) .
Is there no way you can get down to see him sooner MCM ? I’ve no concept of how much public transport costs in upside down land, nor of distances involved .

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Sending massive love to you and Old man MaineCoon . Can also recommend Yonderland ( made by the same idiots who made ghosts , assuming you mean the bbc version) .
Is there no way you can get down to see him sooner MCM ? I’ve no concept of how much public transport costs in upside down land, nor of distances involved .
Thank you, Bubbly D. and Lady Hotes. He loves Bill Bailey!
It's about 5.5 to 6 hours drive away, around 600 kilometres I think? Our car would never make it. I could go on Monday but I have doctors appointments I can't miss coming up. It's going to cost less than $30 to get there and back as I only need to pay for the coach and a train into Southern Cross station in the city, I get really cheap fares as I'm on a pension.
There's an airport near my dad's town but it's only for small planes so it's kind of a mission getting there by flight.
The old man sounded pretty good, much better than the last time he had a stroke. His speech wasn't slurred and he kept on topic instead of going off on tangents. He's a tough old buzzard, he's at home with his sister just across the road and his friends from his wool spinning stitch-and-witch classes close by as well.
I have to get myself ready for the trip as well, I need to make sure I've got some strong pain and dig out my pressure stockings for the long sit. 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 17
That is such a lovely picture, hello Woofer! We are due snow next week in the Othersideup, according to the papers, who like to say that anyway at this time of year.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
That is such a lovely picture, hello Woofer! We are due snow next week in the Othersideup, according to the papers, who like to say that anyway at this time of year.
Someone I used to work with had a husband who was v into spreadsheets and one of his sheets was basically the ratio between the times the express and the local paper had predicted snow and the times we actually got snow.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Thanks @HotesTilaire I will check out the book. Next step will be to concentrate enough to read it.

@MaineCoonMama sending you love and strength. These sorts of things are never easy but it must be so much worse when your dad is far away and not easy to get to. Good luck for your trip, and glad to hear he's doing ok, relatively speaking. ❤

EDIT: Hotes I just read the 'blurb' on that book on Amazon. Just from that it sounds like a great resource to have, so thankspaceyou. It looks like it's really well thought out. They've even thought about people who can't concentrate! 🤣 I'm always somewhat reluctant with books about dealing with illness as there's so much BS out there, but this looks really promising!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Woofer's a great name for him, suits him down to the ground :) A friend of a friend has a palomino (yellow) gypsy cob stallion called Custard, which I love.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Is Woofer a Bernese Dog? Looks happy in the snow.

Elbie-p yes I’ve been told of many so called “brilliant” books, but as I said, even from the chapter headings you can see this one is good. I have it but won’t be starting reading it until about April.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
@MaineCoonMama lots of love to you, I hope he stays in good spirits and you get to spend plenty of time with him when you get there!

Lads I need to ask for recommendations, since this is food & drink, of what to cook for vegan guests on Sunday? Rather than take a punt on a random recipe, does anyone have anything tried & tested they’d recommend for lunch? I briefly considered consulting Veganish, but I haven’t known them long enough for it to be funny to serve them unidentifiable slop just yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
@MaineCoonMama lots of love to you, I hope he stays in good spirits and you get to spend plenty of time with him when you get there!

Lads I need to ask for recommendations, since this is food & drink, of what to cook for vegan guests on Sunday? Rather than take a punt on a random recipe, does anyone have anything tried & tested they’d recommend for lunch? I briefly considered consulting Veganish, but I haven’t known them long enough for it to be funny to serve them unidentifiable slop just yet.
I've made all three of these - the pie I make in smaller tins and freeze.

vegan squash and mushroom pie (I don't bother with step 5, who has time for deep-frying parsley?)

Vegan wellington

Mushroom wellington

• Heart
Reactions: 11

I make this all the time, my omnivore Harold always eats up the leftovers, so it's a winner. (I don't put turmeric in, I put sage in the batter instead, gives a nice stuffing-like flavour.) Lovely with loads of roast spuds and gravy.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.