Food and Drink #37 Happy New Year

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nobody told me there was a season 4 of What We Do in the Shadows hiding on Disney+ so I've spent all day after my lovely 2 hour massage watching that. Saved 2 episodes for tomorrow. Living the dream. I spent all day Monday watching the pirate thing so the week seems nicely bookended by nonsense from the minds of Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement.

Hope all goes well tomorrow @Falkor
There were two episodes of that season in a row that made me actually hurt from laughing, it's absolutely ridiculous. I was Nadja for Halloween last year but couldn't persuade my long haired beardy boyfriend to be either Laszlo or Nandor, it was so rude of him. 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 17
My new favourite tshirt:
1000002878.jpg

The sizing was weird online so the one I got was too small, it's relegated to the nightwear and under jumpers section of my wardrobe.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Slightly random question: Does anybody have any idea how to prune a fig tree that hasn't been pruned for years? I can take a photo if anybody has any advice!
The actual Figs take a long time to mature, so you need to study your fig so you don’t prune the fruiting spurs.

They must be pruned in the winter as they will bleed. Golden rules of pruning, remove dead, damaged or diseased also anything crossing or rubbing.
is it free standing or trained on a wall?

• Heart
Reactions: 13
The actual Figs take a long time to mature, so you need to study your fig so you don’t prune the fruiting spurs.

They must be pruned in the winter as they will bleed. Golden rules of pruning, remove dead, damaged or diseased also anything crossing or rubbing.
is it free standing or trained on a wall?
Free standing. There's nothing particularly dead,but a few which cross and grow inwards.
IMG_20230115_104306.jpg

Reactions: 12
Had an email that's cheered me up, there's a lovely lady in Aberdeenshire who turns fleeces into woven rugs, so I sent her Badger and the other Shetland crosses first fleeces to make something out of. I've just reached the top of her list and she has washed Badger's fleece and says it's beautifully soft with a long staple, so that is going to be made into a cowl to keep me warm in winter and the other five are being turned into a pair of bedside rugs for nice warm toes in the morning.

received_710510397360161.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Remove the crossing, and growing inwards. Has it ever fruited? Are the roots restricted in any way?
It fruited last year but they weren't very good quality or very many. Roots are doing fine, I think. It has just been abandoned for approx 10 years. Thank you for your help.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Nope they normally maintain leaves and juvenile fruit over winter, but I have never seen one planted in an exposed position before, they advise planting in a sheltered position.
Thank you. Mine is next to my fence. It has loads of leaves but hasn’t had any fruit in the time we have lived here. We are pretty north but big fig plants (7-8m) around have had fruit.

I love figs. I wish my fig figged.

(Sorry for derailing further. Tunnel dog was not well early doors. We are all recovering ❤‍🩹.)

• Heart
Good luck with the op Falkor!

Love checking in here to see how everyone is getting on 🙂

I'm making the Bored of Lunch slow cooker chicken noodles again tonight. I agree with the poster who mentioned it's a bit too salty if you follow the recipe to the letter. I put a couple less tbsps of things in and that suits my palate just fine.

• Heart
Figs like a restricted root run, are often planted next to walls or have paving slabs put down into the soil to restrict them. You should feed them spring and autumn.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Best of luck with the op @Falkor

I’m very excited to see how your cowl turns out. I did some spinning once and it’s like magic how a cloud of wool turns into yarn.

• Heart
Best of luck with the op @Falkor

I’m very excited to see how your cowl turns out. I did some spinning once and it’s like magic how a cloud of wool turns into yarn.
Me too :) This isn't actually going to get spun - I was considering making myself some socks, so asked how much it would be to get one fleece turned into sock yarn. £100 per fleece to hand spin!! They would have been the world's most expensive socks! So it'll be washed, carded and then woven as roving.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Hoping everything goes well tomorrow Falkor 🤞

Been sick for the last week and a half 😷 Have a job interview tomorrow for a permanent position at my grad placement and haven't done enough preparation so I'm a bit stressed. Worst case scenario I don't get it and I look for a job somewhere else (possibly abroad?). Next week is just going to be stressful in general as I have a ton of work to catch up on 😬 hoping I get better asap so I'm not honking/snotting/coughing throughout the interview

• Heart
Reactions: 25
i know loads of us love keeping up appearances and there's one of those soft talking-head docs about it on channel 5 rn

and patricia routledge at 93 looks fucken amazeballs tbh
I've been coveting this for a while now...

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Patricia Routledge is a comedy genius.

If anyones not seen her “Kitty” sketches (written by another comedy queen, Victoria Wood), please please watch this.

There are so many laugh-out-loud-funny lines, but my fave is, “ALL THIS in a voice loud enough to blow the froth off a Horlicks two tables away!”

• Haha
  • Heart
Hi darlings, how’s your Sunday going? This Mrs Bucket chat has prompted a memory. I know this is going to sound very strange, but the week before my mother died was one of the happiest times I can remember….not because she was awful but because she was wonderful, funny, brave, irreverent. That last week, all her children were with her, we just walked away from our lives, partners, jobs. We were just there, all together. She knew it was the end and was utterly without fear about it. We had some of the best conversations of our lives with her, about everything under the sun. It was like a cushion of love, if that doesn’t sound too boaky. Anyway, there was an ex daughter-in-law who was very keen to come and stay two days before Mummy died; she wasn’t a popular person in the family even though Mummy always tried to be kind to her (no idea why, she was/is horrible). My brother came into the room where my sisters and I were with Mummy and said ‘Um….Jenny (not her real name obvs) is thinking of booking a flight to come and see you’….and Mummy sighed heavily and said ‘do I seriously have to get up off my deathbed to hoover and polish for Bloody Hyacinth BOOKAY’….and Christ, we laughed so hard.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
Nigella just posted this. Wintering is lovely (I think I’ve wanged on about it before). Brilliant for this time of year as she says. It was too much to paraphrase Nigella so I’ve just copied her post. Sending good luck to @Falkor and @binkbonk for tomorrow.

3D5D077B-C8B7-4414-99F7-1E1A99A5B8C1.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.