Food and Drink #34 Big Pea!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It looks like we finally have some warm weather coming up next week. A string of 26 and 27 degree days coming my way and I finally get to wear my KISS dress. Yeah, I've decided it's a dress. duck it, I'm 55 years old and I'll wear what I damn well want to.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
It looks like we finally have some warm weather coming up next week. A string of 26 and 27 degree days coming my way and I finally get to wear my KISS dress. Yeah, I've decided it's a dress. duck it, I'm 55 years old and I'll wear what I damn well want to.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Working people who are sick- why is there always a guilt attached? I was never sure if it was a Victorian style “you must have done something to deserve it” or a general capitalist “you’re trying to shirk“ people get sick it’s a fact, why all the suspicion and blame?
I once worked at a company where any sick days you took were taken out of your holiday allowance. And there was a zero tolerance policy on wfh. Needless to say it was incredibly toxic and all those attitudes took a lot of shaking off.
Since Covid, I’ve been predominately working from home and I find it slightly easier to actually take advantage of flexi time offered by my company and also take sick days when I need them. I think it’s because I can always offer to log back in if I’m feeling better? (I know, I know. But the guilt). Also it’s probably the first time I’ve worked in a truly non-toxic environment.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
I know this isn’t an airport but signing off for a bit. Again. 💃. I might buy a myself a blue tick while I am gone.

Having to disconnect Wi-Fi for decorating reasons and my data on my sim only is limited to say the least. Who knows what will happen for a week without Wi-Fi? Maybe dog and I will go to Starbucks and pretend to work like the students and use their free one so I can like all the jelly cat posts.

Anyway…

If I don’t come back it’s because I have frog taped myself to the dog.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
I think that loads of us, whether wfh or not, just have realised that bleeping yourself up over work just isn't worth it in the last couple of years, hence this "quiet quitting" trend that the papers have got very fond of

obviously, disability and other reasons notwithstanding, we need to have work in order to get money to live. it bleeping sucks. and so much of working life is just bullshit

I feel extremely lucky to have my job, where I am basically unsupervised, trusted to get on with it and I pretty much have very little contact with anyone

it suits me so well and I let out a lil cheer earlier when we got an email to say the planned directorate time out that was gonna be this month won't happen till early next year. I actually fell asleep at the last one, pre-pandemic, somewhat ironically while we were getting a talk from a "sleep expert"

soz, this turned into a bit of a rant and I'm not even sure if I've made a point
Reply rant incoming! The Financial Times had a comment piece by Sarah O'Connor in September when "quiet quitting" first became a popular theme, and I loved this bit:
'I would suggest that if your staff turn up every day and do exactly what you ask of them, they aren’t “quiet quitting”, they’re “working”. '
I have honestly found it lifechanging to be ill without needing to report it to HR by a set deadline, with an estimated date of return and then keep up with regular reports to my line manager, and I'm trying my best not to waste my energies by being resentful about my own experience of returning to work after major life-changing illnesses (cancer, sepsis) while complying with the need for regular sick notes, visits to occupational health etc - and I had brilliant, supportive line managers who did their best. One of the things that I'm coming to terms with is my own role in this, I'm one of those people who consistently over-performed and turned up early, stayed late, answered emails from home, because I took my job very seriously and cared about the people I was working for. I think a shorter working week would be a way of beginning to dismantle this culture and help us all to find a bit more balance?
Have been thinking about balance a lot this week, I am not Jack Monroe but managed to fall down the stairs in my not-bungalow on Saturday night - miraculously unhurt apart from some spectacular bruises, but in a very seasonally appropriate way (thin veil time of year) I've been quite shaken by the awareness that there were other possible outcomes which were really not good at all, it's taking me a while to settle with this. Bruises are fading now, so hopefully the unrest will pass with them. I've tried your tip about just knitting with no other distractions @Sglodion and it was really helpful, very counterintuitive for me but it was a really good way to re-set. Will add this to my growing list of 'ways Tattle has changed my life for the better' (which is a real list, and may even become an excel sheet at some point).
Re: fireworks - I've noticed over the last few years that October is really noisy, but it actually seems to peak at Halloween, then it's quiet until the actual 5th November (& that seems, fingers crossed, to be more organised displays) - it's as if domestic fireworks are getting transferred to being a Halloween thing rather than a Guy Fawkes commemoration? Our current cats are young and really quite unbothered (but neither of them are lap cats, we joke about them being lockdown cats).

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Reply rant incoming! The Financial Times had a comment piece by Sarah O'Connor in September when "quiet quitting" first became a popular theme, and I loved this bit:
'I would suggest that if your staff turn up every day and do exactly what you ask of them, they aren’t “quiet quitting”, they’re “working”. '
I have honestly found it lifechanging to be ill without needing to report it to HR by a set deadline, with an estimated date of return and then keep up with regular reports to my line manager, and I'm trying my best not to waste my energies by being resentful about my own experience of returning to work after major life-changing illnesses (cancer, sepsis) while complying with the need for regular sick notes, visits to occupational health etc - and I had brilliant, supportive line managers who did their best. One of the things that I'm coming to terms with is my own role in this, I'm one of those people who consistently over-performed and turned up early, stayed late, answered emails from home, because I took my job very seriously and cared about the people I was working for. I think a shorter working week would be a way of beginning to dismantle this culture and help us all to find a bit more balance?
Have been thinking about balance a lot this week, I am not Jack Monroe but managed to fall down the stairs in my not-bungalow on Saturday night - miraculously unhurt apart from some spectacular bruises, but in a very seasonally appropriate way (thin veil time of year) I've been quite shaken by the awareness that there were other possible outcomes which were really not good at all, it's taking me a while to settle with this. Bruises are fading now, so hopefully the unrest will pass with them. I've tried your tip about just knitting with no other distractions @Sglodion and it was really helpful, very counterintuitive for me but it was a really good way to re-set. Will add this to my growing list of 'ways Tattle has changed my life for the better' (which is a real list, and may even become an excel sheet at some point).
Re: fireworks - I've noticed over the last few years that October is really noisy, but it actually seems to peak at Halloween, then it's quiet until the actual 5th November (& that seems, fingers crossed, to be more organised displays) - it's as if domestic fireworks are getting transferred to being a Halloween thing rather than a Guy Fawkes commemoration? Our current cats are young and really quite unbothered (but neither of them are lap cats, we joke about them being lockdown cats).
Completely related to your comment on work and re adjusting after illness. Also agree quiet quitting isn’t quiet quitting it’s just not doing stuff unpaid and unacknowledged.

Sorry to hear about your incident with the stairs - are they carpeted by any chance? I shared this on F&D last year but my husband fell down ours and it was super scary, we watched it back and it’s not like he tripped on himself it was just due to wearing socks on carpet. Tbh now I’d never have carpet on stairs again it freaks me out after that!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Completely related to your comment on work and re adjusting after illness. Also agree quiet quitting isn’t quiet quitting it’s just not doing stuff unpaid and unacknowledged.

Sorry to hear about your incident with the stairs - are they carpeted by any chance? I shared this on F&D last year but my husband fell down ours and it was super scary, we watched it back and it’s not like he tripped on himself it was just due to wearing socks on carpet. Tbh now I’d never have carpet on stairs again it freaks me out after that!
The stairs are carpeted - very ancient and currently on the list of things which need to be changed! (Although not the carpet's fault in this case, it was my ill-judged attempt to turn around mid-step that started the fall)

• Heart
Reactions: 15

That's surprising, I've always felt nervous going up wooden stairs in socks. Thought carpet would have more grip? Or is that the problem, that the foot slips inside the sock?

Frauen must have thought I was in a state of perpetual amazement over the last week as I kept accidentally 😲 reacting to posts. I have big man hands (even though I am a bird (in traazers)) that are not suited to a smol phone screen.

It's finally burger time! The bloke who delivered it had already legged it by the time I opened the door which was a shame as I'd put on my least flattering joggers and fox slipper socks specially to lure him in.

not peas or potatoes.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 44
Frauen must have thought I was in a state of perpetual amazement over the last week as I kept accidentally 😲 reacting to posts. I have big man hands (even though I am a bird (in traazers)) that are not suited to a smol phone screen.

It's finally burger time! The bloke who delivered it had already legged it by the time I opened the door which was a shame as I'd put on my least flattering joggers and fox slipper socks specially to lure him in.

View attachment 1701876
I’m sorry you missed out on your very own burger boy but on the plus side that looks tasty and not a pea in sight!

• Haha
Reactions: 19
That's surprising, I've always felt nervous going up wooden stairs in socks. Thought carpet would have more grip? Or is that the problem, that the foot slips inside the sock?
So apparently you’re not meant to wash socks in fabric conditioner because of this! I’m not sure if it was this thread or someone IRL who told me this? But makes sense as that’s how hinch breaks ppls hips by telling them to spray fabric conditioner on their carpets! In his instance he just slipped, he was treading close to the edge so imagine there was little margin for slippage hence just going straight down? If we weren’t selling that house at the time I’d have ripped all the carpet up the next day as we never felt ok again!! We now have wooden stairs - ours are an oiled finish so slippier than paint or raw or maybe even a runner but I feel ok with them in socks? They’re much bigger than my feet whereas the old stairs were probably more 1:1 which probs helps / maybe I’ve just not been traumatised by them yet so still living in blissful ignorance?

@traumatised sideboard glad you got the burger 🎉 I can’t applaud the choice of onion rings over fries tho soz

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Ok weird me-rail - I have dry feet (who doesn’t?) but if ai keep them properly moisturised, I slip on carpet 😳 they slip inside of slippers or socks😐

• Wow
Reactions: 18
Wooden stairs- you are more likely to have a sock slip on the wood
Carpeted stairs - you are more likely to have your sock stick to the carpet and your foot slip inside it
So I suppose it depends on your feet/socks/dashing about habits as to which way you prefer to fall lol
What does freak me out is carpeted stairs going straight to a laminate hallway floor, I'm sure the change in footing on the final step is an accident waiting to happen.

• Heart
Have you ever tried a foot mask Hotes? They're kinda gross but amazing. You put little lotion filled booties on your feet for a bit and then you sort of.......moult over the course of a week or two.

It's grimly satisfying to have bits of skin coming off and you have baby soft feet after. I do mine every six months (and whenever I know I'm not seeing my boyfriend for a bit 😂) and put thick socks on in the evening to erm..... keep the skin contained when I sleep. I know people may find this disgusting so have spoilered!

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Have you ever tried a foot mask Hotes? They're kinda gross but amazing. You put little lotion filled booties on your feet for a bit and then you sort of.......moult over the course of a week or two.

It's grimly satisfying to have bits of skin coming off and you have baby soft feet after. I do mine every six months (and whenever I know I'm not seeing my boyfriend for a bit 😂) and put thick socks on in the evening to erm..... keep the skin contained when I sleep. I know people may find this disgusting so have spoilered!
Yes but if I get baby soft feets, I turn into bambi

• Haha
Reactions: 21

Seconding this! Very weirdly satisfying. I soaked mine every night in a basin, apparently it's meant to help the peeling. Also a moisturizer with high urea % is great in the meantime. Hotes you should try it, then when your feet are soft just stick velcro dots to them to avoid slipping x

@heretoreaditall2019 that makes sense, I never use fabric softener so maybe that helps. Although now that I'm thinking about it, I might have been wearing socks the last time I fell down the stairs 🤔 Next time I fall I'll report my sock status

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.