Food and Drink #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven't been here forever and you probably all know already, but Aldi do Moser Roth vegan chocolate bars! I bought the classic one yesterday and it's incredible. I'm very excited by this news and just needed to share it, though like our favourite food blogger, I'm probably late to the party and you've all been indulging for months if not years.View attachment 512350
ooh will def be trying these! (not vegan but as most people trying to eat less animal products) my favourite ones from that range (not sure if vegan though) are the dark choc with chilli. the BEST chocolate in existence imo. Aldi chocolate in general is the best of any supermarket i think

• Heart
Reactions: 13
@Nottonightbabe hope you are home safely later today. Best wishes for your recovery over the next few days - you'll feel so much better at home.

For anyone who watches Line of Duty my mate has just sent me a link to the podcast 'Shrine of Duty' and assures me its well written and hilarious. Ill give it a go later and report back.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
@Nottonightbabe - ooh, not fun :( Glad you're on the mend and hope you're home soon. No lambs yet, the earliest ones are technically due on 20th April, but they can go up to five days either side so we could start as early as the 15th. I've been sorting through my lambing supplies box today, throwing out anything that's out of date and making myself a list for when I'm in town on Tuesday. Not too bad - I need colostrum sachets and powdered lamb milk (hopefully won't be needed, but sod's law says if I don't get them I'll need them), iodine (for dipping navel strings) and a new teat for the feeding bottle (again, hopefully won't be needed). Next job is to clean out the horses' field shelter and set up a couple of pens using metal hurdles and shavings, so if anyone has a bad lambing and needs some TLC, they're in out of the weather and easy to treat. Snow and 50mph winds for a week from tomorrow, we're going down to -12C with the wind chill factored in, so from tomorrow they're getting their feed upped again and will be fed twice a day.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
@Nottonightbabe hope you are home safely later today. Best wishes for your recovery over the next few days - you'll feel so much better at home.

For anyone who watches Line of Duty my mate has just sent me a link to the podcast 'Shrine of Duty' and assures me its well written and hilarious. Ill give it a go later and report back.
I’ve heard really good things about SOD (have to use the acronym for comedy 😂), would be interested to know what you think!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’ve heard really good things about SOD (have to use the acronym for comedy 😂), would be interested to know what you think!
I think it’s much better this series. Last series was too much fake laughter and a bit cringe but this is good. There’s also Obsessed with Line of Duty presented by the actor who played Dot. That one comes out straightaway, SoD on Wednesday

• Heart
Reactions: 10
@veryfondoftea I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no good vegan halloumi. I've tried several including some fancy expensive ones and they're all dreadful. Violife feta is decent though, Sainsbury's Free From Greek-style isn't terrible either. Cheese was the last animal product I gave up before becoming vegan because I thought I'd struggle without it but I've never once craved it.

Aldi do so much good vegan stuff but sadly I've been boycotting them since October last year when I emailed them about finding a bean containing five dead black flies in a tin of butter beans and they didn't remotely care about it, even when I pointed out the entire batch was probably contaminated. They did kindly offer me a 35p refund if I took the tin back to the store with the receipt which I'd already told them I didn't have, so that was nice of them.

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 19
So sorry to hear this. You could contact Winston’s Wish for help.
Winston’s Wish were extremely helpful for a friend and her children when their father died. Cruse Bereavement Care will help with loss at any time, not just when it’s recent.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’m mega late but I’m so sorry to hear your news @Flumps sending love to you and your daughter and to anyone else that needs.

We have had to put things on hold. He has sold his house and given his ex her financial spilt. Now she has unexpectedly announced that she is moving back to her hometown which is a six hour drive away, the opposite end of the country. He is devastated and needs time to consider his next move. I think he will move too as he is such a lovely dad. He has been so careful to manage my feelings in all of this while going through hell himself.

Anyone who does April Fools jokes is a prick.
Aww no I’m sorry @Universal i hope things work out for you both.

Hey Fraus, just popping my head in. Haven't been around for a while, as I had a bit of a mishap. During a spell of depression recently, my sodium levels dropped so low I had seizures and landed myself on a ventilator in intensive care 😬
Have been keeping up with the recaps on the MT which has been keeping me entertained! Haven't managed to keep up on here as well though, I hope everyone is all good, will catch up properly with you all soon ❤
@Falkor am especially interested to know if there's lamb news yet! ☺
Aww no @Nottonightbabe hope you’re feeling better soon.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Had the most delicious Japanese takeaway last night fraus. Beef yaki udon, yakitori and tempura prawns. There’s a little restaurant in the middle of my shithole hometown that we spotted last year and it’s an absolute gem amongst the rest of the dump (so far I’ve only managed to move 5 miles away)

@Universal I really hope you and the bloke are able to make it work somehow. I’ve loved your updates.

@Nottonightbabe that sounds pretty scary but it’s good to hear you’re feeling a bit better. Hope you’re able to go home today.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Hey Fraus, just popping my head in. Haven't been around for a while, as I had a bit of a mishap. During a spell of depression recently, my sodium levels dropped so low I had seizures and landed myself on a ventilator in intensive care 😬
Have been keeping up with the recaps on the MT which has been keeping me entertained! Haven't managed to keep up on here as well though, I hope everyone is all good, will catch up properly with you all soon ❤
@Falkor am especially interested to know if there's lamb news yet! ☺
Oh no, I hope you are alright now. Sounds scary. Sending hugs 🤗

• Heart
This a good recipe. Shop bought ones are awful.

Hey fraus, looking for some advice re. Giving up cheese and butter (I already don’t have cows milk). I am aware of the horrific practices in the dairy industry but does anyone know is it much of the same when it comes to cheeses like halloumi or feta that aren’t from cows? Is that a ‘better’ cheese ethically or is it still just as bad? I tried Googling and the only thing that came up was from a Peta website which felt slightly biased. Really interested in your thoughts ❤
Edited to add: also, is the not getting enough protein thing an actual worry? I don’t eat eggs at all or meat very rarely and I’m not dead from protein deficiency but if you eat a plant based diet do you actually have to think about more than I do now (not at all)?

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Winston’s Wish were extremely helpful for a friend and her children when their father died. Cruse Bereavement Care will help with loss at any time, not just when it’s recent.
I know quite a few people who’ve found Cruse really helpful. They have a webchat on the website where you can discuss things with a bereavement counsellor (can be anonymous) without going into the full bereavement counselling process (so could be used now) and lots of good resources on the website too. For what it’s worth, @Flumps you sound like you’re handling an absolutely awful situation amazingly. The support you’re giving will be one of the most important things in helping your girl process her grief & confusion.

Also sending best wishes to @Nottonightbabe for a full and speedy recovery. I hope there are brighter days ahead.

• Heart
Oh my LJC @Pocahontas they look perfect. It's my mum's birthday soon so I've spent all evening looking at cake recipes and I'm incredibly hungry. I also watched a documentary about the effects of junk food on the body which I think was supposed to put the viewer off but now I just really want a pizza.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Will you be making the cake yourself? From your buns photos on here it’s clear you’re ahead in the baking game.
The churros were delicious but they kind of hit you a couple of hours after eating them and you go into a sort sugar / fat fugue.
I haven't asked her yet if she wants to do anything for her birthday, if she does I will make one for her. If she doesn't then I'll just make a cake for myself 😂 Careful you don't go on Twitter in the churros fugue state and post something you'll regret in the morning! It's so easy to eat too much fat and sugar too quickly and be filled with regret. I once got laid out for a whole afternoon by an Oreo brownie. Actually it happened twice except the second time I only ate half as I thought that was safer. It wasn't.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I haven't asked her yet if she wants to do anything for her birthday, if she does I will make one for her. If she doesn't then I'll just make a cake for myself 😂 Careful you don't go on Twitter in the churros fugue state and post something you'll regret in the morning! It's so easy to eat too much fat and sugar too quickly and be filled with regret. I once got laid out for a whole afternoon by an Oreo brownie. Actually it happened twice except the second time I only ate half as I thought that was safer. It wasn't.
I put myself in a sugar coma with the golden oreos. They taste sooo good, like custard creams, but better. Ate the whole packet in one sitting, no regrets when the belly ache came :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
Too late, I’ve gone on and tweeted about being able to hear a rainbow (kidding, I left that hellsite cos it got too scary for Poca).

‘Laid out for a whole afternoon by an Oreo brownie’ just makes me picture a really aggressive brownie 😂

• Haha
Well I didn't go home yesterday 😑. Bloods were spot on, but because the consultant didn't look at them I couldn't go anywhere. So I'm due bloods again this morning, and we'll see if they get looked at this time 🤷. So frustrating.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 38
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.