Feathering the empty nest

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t judge her decision, but for me as a parent who has lost a child themselves for me both my children are equal. They both deserve to be spoken about and celebrated. I know I’m speaking from an incredibly privileged position because I have my rainbow with me and I understand her fear, but I don’t think you can make decisions about ‘what to do and what to share’ before that baby is even with her safely. I don’t think she should be sharing the decisions yet with people who have supported her since day dot.

Her instagram isn’t a safe place for people who have lost a child, even seeing the words ‘pregnant’ can be so incredibly painful and raw for those who have lost a child. She shares pictures of her bump, which people know is from this pregnancy. That isn’t making your platform safe for those who are grieving. It doesn’t add up to me, I’m currently doing 4+4 and getting 9 here.

But I’m not Elle, what I may do and what others may do is completely different to how she is thinking she may do things.
You can still celebrate a child without plastering them all over social media though, surely. Honestly don’t want to imagine what she went through. It’s almost too difficult to think about so I think in this instance we should maybe just let her do what she wants to do and give her control of what she puts out there. She had no control last time, she was powerless. Honestly, anyone who has had to endure personal hardship deserves a very wide berth imo.

Reactions: 17
If I put myself in Elle’s shoes, may be she doesn’t want to share because she doesn’t want to jinx it. She doesn’t have to, she owes it to no one, her baby her choice and all that. I can only imagine having an IG like this takes a lot of work, I struggle to get time to post a pic of my kids on there once a month or so!!! I see it that she’s taking time out, in her little bubble, everything she’s been through and struggle to have a rainbow baby, she deserves, like any parent going through this, some time out. If she posted pics of her baby, then got sent stuff people would judge her. She’s been upfront about this, so I think good for her. The pressures enough for parents with newborns. Unfortunately she never got to take Teddy home, I think she wants to take this baby home and enjoy every precious moment and good for her! She owes nothing to any of her followers, it’s her account, her platform and I’m pretty sure she will carry on supporting all these charities like she has done, but she’s entitled to her own maternity leave and if she want to leave her baby out of the lime light then good for her. Again if she didn’t a lot of you would judge her, she may be different once babies here but it’s her choice because it’s her child, not instagrams!!
🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼

I just can’t help but think how difficult it is to talk about annoucing/talking about this baby when they arrive when she never got to do that last time, it must be like a big old jinx

Reactions: 7
I think everyone is missing the point in discussing teddy’s name so openly and the book title, when she lost her son she also lost lots of friends and people actively avoided her. The book and insta page were to raise awareness and try to remove some stigma from infant and baby loss.
hopefully a completely different situation to motherhood she’s about to embark on.
I’m quite confused by all the comments in this thread as all over forums on Instagramers criticise showing their faces and names. I don’t blame her, we all know her full name, the area she lives etc there’s no need to divulge it as lovely as it would be.
And maybe she will, I would imagine given losing teddy and the other babies her anxiety will be through the roof right now. As for not giving anything back that’s incredibly unfair and I’m sure the NICU ward couldn’t agree with this.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I think Elle is fab and I love her decision not to accept any #gifts for the baby (I’m looking at you carasuthers). I was so happy to read that she was expecting, even though I don’t even know her! That’s said, I won’t lie, I’m a little disappointed that I won’t get to follow the rest of her journey but; I understand that it’s completely up to her what she decides to share.

She must be so so anxious right now and I really feel for her and pray that she gets to bring this little one home with her. I’m the end, that’s all that matters.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
If I put myself in Elle’s shoes, may be she doesn’t want to share because she doesn’t want to jinx it. She doesn’t have to, she owes it to no one, her baby her choice and all that. I can only imagine having an IG like this takes a lot of work, I struggle to get time to post a pic of my kids on there once a month or so!!! I see it that she’s taking time out, in her little bubble, everything she’s been through and struggle to have a rainbow baby, she deserves, like any parent going through this, some time out. If she posted pics of her baby, then got sent stuff people would judge her. She’s been upfront about this, so I think good for her. The pressures enough for parents with newborns. Unfortunately she never got to take Teddy home, I think she wants to take this baby home and enjoy every precious moment and good for her! She owes nothing to any of her followers, it’s her account, her platform and I’m pretty sure she will carry on supporting all these charities like she has done, but she’s entitled to her own maternity leave and if she want to leave her baby out of the lime light then good for her. Again if she didn’t a lot of you would judge her, she may be different once babies here but it’s her choice because it’s her child, not instagrams!!
Absolutely she deserves to take mat leave and enjoy her baby bubble, I said I would miss her posts when she went off.
In her reply to this comment on IG (which has now strangely been removed), she said she will announce the safe arrival (but no name or face) and then would be going off, and when she returned at the end of the year her posts would still be house, garden and boris. And still a safe place for bereaved parents, so no baby related content (but she’s posted bump pics?!) anyway....
The girl has thousands of people rooting for her, I cried reading her book as I’m sure many others did too. She is only where she is today and was able to write that book because her baby died, and she was open online to thousands of people. And good for her. Of course it isn’t our right to be let in on her life, but we have already got past that point. We all just want to see her “happy ever after”. It just seems strange to think after all that, all her struggles over the years, she will now have the one thing she has always wanted, and it will be like that new baby isn’t even there. It’s mad. I KNOW she is thinking about parents who are in her situation, but she’s not really thinking about her “fan base” 😂 and is totally slamming the door on all her cheerleaders. I can imagine the onslaught of constant questions in her future and unless she drops off the face of the earth there’s no avoiding that

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I also admire her decision not to advertise baby stuff but that is also a privilege in that she can afford to say no. That’s absolutely not a criticism of Elle - she’s just doing what she feels is right in her circumstances.

I’ve also seen some comments about her saying she’s not replying to DM’s. To be fair to her, she needs to prioritise her mental health right now. I can imagine she receives some pretty harrowing messages from newly bereaved parents and feels pressure to reply. As far as I can see, she has no qualification or training to counsel people and can only show her particular set of circumstances so it isn’t appropriate anyway. I get the impression she wanted to meet people who had gone through the same thing when she first started out and her following was manageable but there is no way that is sustainable when she has 155k following her! It must feel a bit awkward to say she can’t reply but I don’t see what alternative she has. Spend a much longed-for pregnancy glued to her phone?

Reactions: 11
I also admire her decision not to advertise baby stuff but that is also a privilege in that she can afford to say no. That’s absolutely not a criticism of Elle - she’s just doing what she feels is right in her circumstances.

I’ve also seen some comments about her saying she’s not replying to DM’s. To be fair to her, she needs to prioritise her mental health right now. I can imagine she receives some pretty harrowing messages from newly bereaved parents and feels pressure to reply. As far as I can see, she has no qualification or training to counsel people and can only show her particular set of circumstances so it isn’t appropriate anyway. I get the impression she wanted to meet people who had gone through the same thing when she first started out and her following was manageable but there is no way that is sustainable when she has 155k following her! It must feel a bit awkward to say she can’t reply but I don’t see what alternative she has. Spend a much longed-for pregnancy glued to her phone?
Agreed, she’s putting herself first, and with what’s happened I see no issue. I would be taking zero risks and not putting any mental or any other pressure on myself. It’s bad enough there’s a worldwide pandemic to worry about. I

Yes, completely agree, she doesn't have to share anything.... If she did share then it would be the opposite of she's selling her child's privacy like most of the instamums do everyday for a living. She can't win either way.
I think most of these instamums/influencers can never win. Get criticised for everything they do. Yes it’s a price you pay for having that sort of account/Insta fame, but lots of people out there following these accounts, do have not any sort of understanding of others, and live in their own judgy (Perfect or not so perfect!) world. In Elle’a case, she set out to help others to help herself to get through, what can only be described as one of the worst moments to happen to someone. She then goes on to write a book to help others and yet those those who like to judge think she owes it to them to let her know her babies name and face! It’s her life, she used Instagram to get people talking about and understand, and highlight the support for those who have experienced the loss. Whatever type of account they have, used for whatever reason, not one of them has to share their child’s details/images if they choose not too.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m not judging her for not wanting to share her baby once it’s born, if that’s right for her and her family then good for her! What I have an issue with is that she didn’t need to share this pregnancy in the first place if she (understandably) has major anxiety around it all and wanted to keep her page about what it was intended for. No one would have been the wiser! She could have protected herself and her struggles. By putting it out there then raining it back in seems all rather contrived and a bit attention seeking.

Obviously people will ask questions, send messages, especially now, but it didn’t need to be that way. Also making a point of letting everyone know she won’t be accepting gifts/ads etc for the new baby....but throughout the years has accepted gifts/done ads/been paid to promote companies or products which have no relevance to what her account was about!? That’s where I find the whole thing full of double standards!

• Angry
  • Heart
I’m not judging her for not wanting to share her baby once it’s born, if that’s right for her and her family then good for her! What I have an issue with is that she didn’t need to share this pregnancy in the first place if she (understandably) has major anxiety around it all and wanted to keep her page about what it was intended for. No one would have been the wiser! She could have protected herself and her struggles. By putting it out there then raining it back in seems all rather contrived and a bit attention seeking.

Obviously people will ask questions, send messages, especially now, but it didn’t need to be that way. Also making a point of letting everyone know she won’t be accepting gifts/ads etc for the new baby....but throughout the years has accepted gifts/done ads/been paid to promote companies or products which have no relevance to what her account was about!? That’s where I find the whole thing full of double standards!
Absolutely 100% agree with you. I for one don’t give a flying f*** if she doesn’t share news of the baby on her page, but what irks me is how she’s happy to work the gram for all her middle-class freebies but plays hard to get to those who have helped her achieve the platform she’s now has. She clearly loves the attention 🙄

• Heart
🙌 couldn't agree more. On other tattle threads parents get slated for showing their kids, now it's the opposite 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 13
I think it’s one thing to show the rest of her life which allows her to get ads etc, but the baby hasn’t consented to having it’s entire life broadcast from day 1 on social media, why should she be pressured to do this? Also, it would have been quite difficult to hide an entire pregnancy! And why should she? To me, it represents hope. And hope is so important around loss. I really respect what she does regarding fundraising and awareness and she is not a grief counsellor, simply a parent sharing their experience to hopefully help others, so I agree with her not responding to every single (and can you even imagine how many she must get??!) DM about loss and anxiety, instead she tries to deal with issues as a whole on her page. Of all the ‘influencers’ she is definitely one of the best

Reactions: 12
Absolutely she deserves to take mat leave and enjoy her baby bubble, I said I would miss her posts when she went off.
In her reply to this comment on IG (which has now strangely been removed), she said she will announce the safe arrival (but no name or face) and then would be going off, and when she returned at the end of the year her posts would still be house, garden and boris. And still a safe place for bereaved parents, so no baby related content (but she’s posted bump pics?!) anyway....
The girl has thousands of people rooting for her, I cried reading her book as I’m sure many others did too. She is only where she is today and was able to write that book because her baby died, and she was open online to thousands of people. And good for her. Of course it isn’t our right to be let in on her life, but we have already got past that point. We all just want to see her “happy ever after”. It just seems strange to think after all that, all her struggles over the years, she will now have the one thing she has always wanted, and it will be like that new baby isn’t even there. It’s mad. I KNOW she is thinking about parents who are in her situation, but she’s not really thinking about her “fan base” 😂 and is totally slamming the door on all her cheerleaders. I can imagine the onslaught of constant questions in her future and unless she drops off the face of the earth there’s no avoiding that
Jesus duck. The only reason she is where she is, is because her son died...I'm almost certain she'd rather have her son with her than her book.
I think in this instance people need to have a word with themselves. You are owed absolutely nothing, and what people share about their life is up to them. The attitude on this thread of "you've got us so invested, we deserve the rest" is all a bit twisted.
I hope and pray for this babies safe arrival and for their parents to have all the time in the world with them. Instagram is owed absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
I think it was important for her to share this pregnancy, Most parents that have lost a child pray for that rainbow baby and let’s face it Elle has had her fair share of loss and lack of hope I’m sure.
And the difference in her printing gifts for herself and the house is she is compliant to it. And obviously happy to do so. Flogging stuff with your longed for rainbow baby would be distasteful.

I used to like her so so much and can’t believe I’m about to write this but she is just as bad as the others. She has a friend replying to her DMs saying how stressed and anxious she is (totally understandable) but the same day is doing Hello Fresh cooking vids. If you’re that concerned and worried then leave now and protect yourself, dont do 8 stories in a row about a beaded necklace.

and before i get roasted i think its devastating what happened to her son but as people have pointed out on here before there are some baby loss accounts that just focus on that as their main cause. She has had an increased amount of jo malone, white company, ivy trips, hello fresh etc over time and by that merit becomes an influencer. i have zero opinion on her sharing the new babys name/face. Hope all goes very well for them with a healthy baby.

• Heart
I used to like her so so much and can’t believe I’m about to write this but she is just as bad as the others. She has a friend replying to her DMs saying how stressed and anxious she is (totally understandable) but the same day is doing Hello Fresh cooking vids. If you’re that concerned and worried then leave now and protect yourself, dont do 8 stories in a row about a beaded necklace.

and before i get roasted i think its devastating what happened to her son but as people have pointed out on here before there are some baby loss accounts that just focus on that as their main cause. She has had an increased amount of jo malone, white company, ivy trips, hello fresh etc over time and by that merit becomes an influencer. i have zero opinion on her sharing the new babys name/face. Hope all goes very well for them with a healthy baby.
1000%!!!!!

Reactions: 3

Indeed! She seems to have all the time in the world to play with her freebies and promote her mates necklace business. 🙄

Reactions: 5
She’s also still following Susie Verrill which is a big no-go for me😂 mind you she hasnt had a single BAME parent on her guest blog. Not one. So I dont know why Im surprised.

Maybe she thought she could handle keeping up her instagram ads in her last few weeks of pregnancy, hence all the hellofresh ads. I agree with what everyone has said she doesn’t owe Instagram anything. I think her announcing her pregnancy gave those struggling a symbol of hope but she doesn’t want to make the whole page about the new baby, because it is essentially about Teddy. Maybe she feels if she starts to upload photos of the new baby then Teddy’s memories will start to erase?
I had a PAL with my first one and it was absolutely petrifying, her mind is probably not in the right state. I wish her the best of luck and I really do hope she and nico gets to bring their 🌈 home