Fathering Autism #24 Pullups, messy hair and dirty feet. Hambeasts can’t parent but they sho can eat!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm starting to wonder about JSA as time goes by. I agree that the teachers/staff at JSA must know Abbie's limitations. Maybe they just bring her along even tho she won't be participating as much or get as much out of it because it's easier to take all of the students rather than having someone stay back with her?? Maybe they make certain allowances during lessons depending where students are at with their capabilities?? Maybe they don't want to have to deal with the fuss that Asa would kick up if he felt they were singling her out??
My guess would be that they try to focus on what would be a positive learning experience for every student even and just scale it that way. For Abbie, I think even just being out in social environments where teachers can try to instill some sense of what is appropriate/inappropriate in a store or work on letting her make choices probably does help her. She can learn to be patient when other students are doing things, or even just a bit of expanding her worldview by taking her to new places. We've all seen how absolute tit A&P are at that - under normal circumstances, the only places Abbie knows exist are coffee shops, bakeries, and the post office. And even in those places the family is all about giving her options and then ignoring her answer, all speaking to her at once, prompting different and confusing things, and ultimately teaching her nothing.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
All the more reason for them to be doing PT with her. To try to keep her muscles from weakening/wasting away even more. They just seem to choose strange things to focus on when working with her and ignore other things that would actually benefit her more.
Abbie does have quite a lazy streak to her, but it isn't the cause of her low muscle tone. It certainly doesn't help it, that's for sure.
It's just sad because we've seen in those throw back videos of her when she was 6 or 7 how much more active she was and how much better she was able to move around.
Yes! They could do many of things she was doing in PT at school. They need a big yoga ball, Asa could make a balance beam and wobble board which would help her core, legs and balance. They should be doing PT with her, absolutely.

If they ever get the pool fixed they could get her doing laps for treats! Swim to this side, get an m&m, swim to other side get a jelly bean. LOL

• Heart
Reactions: 11
My guess would be that they try to focus on what would be a positive learning experience for every student even and just scale it that way. For Abbie, I think even just being out in social environments where teachers can try to instill some sense of what is appropriate/inappropriate in a store or work on letting her make choices probably does help her. She can learn to be patient when other students are doing things, or even just a bit of expanding her worldview by taking her to new places. We've all seen how absolute tit A&P are at that - under normal circumstances, the only places Abbie knows exist are coffee shops, bakeries, and the post office. And even in those places the family is all about giving her options and then ignoring her answer, all speaking to her at once, prompting different and confusing things, and ultimately teaching her nothing.
AnP actually do take Abbie out and about. I’ve seen them take her to the movies, hockey game, volleyball (summer’s) meets, waterparks, hiking, camping, Walmart, Target etc.

There is no expanding Abbie’s “worldview.” You can’t expand on what you don’t already possess.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
If all of a sudden a switch was turned on and Abbie began to type. Her first sentence: "Dad...please shut the duck up"

or on a sadder note: "Please listen to me":(

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I think you're right. That sounds like it would be the most likely scenario. I also agree that even if she can't do some of the more advanced or complex things, it's still good to socialize her, teach her how to interact (as much as she's able to understand that), and for her to become more accustomed to being out in various places.
It just frustrates me that A&P, a lot of the time, seem to be undoing the work that JSA has put in with Abbie. Mainly Asa and his refusal to listen and his insistence on doing things HIS way. He claims he's aware of her sensory processing disorder and how that affects her but he's constantly doing things in opposition to that. So does P. Isaiah seems to be a bit more aware of it than the clueless toads she has for parents.

Reactions: 10
Bad idea Becca. I really wish she would keep it professional and appropriate for her future.

I cannot believe the fans buy the pics. They aren't saying she is doing it herself, but they are implying it by saying she is trying to pedal. Nope. He probably had Summer place Abbie's foot on the pedal and quickly got the shot...and there is Isiah pushing the bike.....and not in the shot. They are such fakers.

Good grief
I wanted to do a laughing emoji on the “pedal” picture. I didn’t want the leghumpers to attack me though. I call bullshit on it all. She doesn’t know a pedal from a hole in the ground. They do not accept her limitations.

• Haha
AnP actually do take Abbie out and about. I’ve seen them take her to the movies, hockey game, volleyball (summer’s) meets, waterparks, hiking, camping, Walmart, Target etc.

There is no expanding Abbie’s “worldview.” You can’t expand on what you don’t already possess.
You're right that Abbie will never become super aware or even an average level of awareness. But the thing is, when it's A&P doing it, they're setting her up to fail when she doesn't have to with their crappy methods. They ignore her sensory issues, their method when taking her out to these places is mostly exposure therapy type of approach. It's mostly about doing what they want to do and just kind of hoping she doesn't have a big enough meltdown that they have to leave.

Reactions: 9
A & P want to do big VLOGGABLE activities that make the fan$$$$ "heart melt". and to "tears". They dont want to focus on more boring activities that she really needs.. like potty training, physical therapy, discipline.

They want her to suddenly be able to ride a bike and handle a credit card like a typical teen so the fanz$$ies can swoon about it.

What bothers me is the elusion they are creating for the fan$$Zies is not what is best for Abbie... meanwhile there is Abbie stuck in a diaper for the rest of her life and will eventually be an adult that will be very hard to handle.

I wanted to do a laughing emoji on the “pedal” picture. I didn’t want the leghumpers to attack me though. I call bullshit on it all. She doesn’t know a pedal from a hole in the ground. They do not accept her limitations.
She was most likely thrashing her legs around and they caught a few seconds that made her look as tho she was peddling.. those fans are so easily fooled.

Reactions: 16
You're right that Abbie will never become super aware or even an average level of awareness. But the thing is, when it's A&P doing it, they're setting her up to fail when she doesn't have to with their crappy methods. They ignore her sensory issues, their method when taking her out to these places is mostly exposure therapy type of approach. It's mostly about doing what they want to do and just kind of hoping she doesn't have a big enough meltdown that they have to leave.
I can guarantee that what you described is exactly the approach the teachers take. I can’t imagine the world revolving around Abbie when they have x number of students to take take care of when they take them out. I’m sure she acts the same exact way when she’s out with her class as she does with her family. There is no way that every little one of her desires would be met - other than going to the bathroom.

I can guarantee that what you described is exactly the approach the teachers take. I can’t imagine the world revolving around Abbie when they have x number of students to take take care of when they take them out. I’m sure she acts the same exact way when she’s out with her class as she does with her family. There is no way that every little one of her desires would be met - other than going to the bathroom.
Does JSA take them out much? I saw a few VLOGS where A&P went with JSA on some outings.. to the zoo I think. I wonder if they do take them out if A&P go as well.

Reactions: 4
Didn't say that every single thing is dependent on Abbie or that they're giving in to each and every desire that Abbie may have. That's just unrealistic in any sense.
From what I understand about JSA, each student's experience is more tailored to them and trying to meet their individual needs than it would be at a general public school. They're also supposed to have smaller class sizes which helps with student to teacher ratio. So, they are going to be more attentive to her in comparison to a general public school.

Reactions: 5
There’s no ring lights, filters/face tune in real life. 🤣

I think they’d all benefit from seeing a Therapist on a regular basis. Family Therapy with all of them (minus Abbie) and individual. One on one Therapy for Isaiah I think would be very beneficial. Idk what all is back open in their area, but they could do abcouple individual FaceTime sessions At home. Isaiah could use Summers room for them. (to not be worried about them listening to what he says) Respectful Parents would stay in the house, out of the backyard until his session was over. (I can picture Assa sneaking to the door with his camera, puting the mic right up to the door, to try and hear what he’s saying 🙄😒... he’d probably make it a vlog title and thumbnail 😠
Therapy for Mr. Maassive? It's useless.
This narcisstic and arrogant man wouldn't listen.
He's a hopeless case.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I have man hands, so I shouldn't be talking, lol...but Abbies knuckles look almost arthritic!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I haven't been on here as much just bc, I haven't been watching the vlogs as much bc, I've been having some health issues lately but, I did watch the night time routine one just now and I find it very interesting that Asa always feels the need to over explain everything that Abigail does bc, he knows that it looks terrible for many reasons, so, if he doesn't try and explain it the way he wants folks to see it, they might just see it for what it truly is and to him, that is unacceptable. For example, when Abigail was brushing her teeth (she wasn't really doing much but, standing there looking around with a toothbrush in her hand) he said something like," She isn't aggressive, just more energetic", which is a crock. It's sad that he even has to say things like that to justify aggressive behavior that he refuses to discipline. (I'm not sure if those where is exact words but, it was very similar with the same meaning.) He KNOWS it's bad. For some reason, they all think that they are the most valuable family in the world. They also think that Abigail is above all others with autism, for some gross reason. It's all really odd.

• Wow
Reactions: 17
View attachment 134370

Top left.... 🐷
Bottom... Isaiah
Top Right..... Abbie

February 2019
Omg all their hands... Priscilla's hand looks like its melting here. Abbie's hands have always looked strange to me (I would watch videos then try to get my hand to look like hers but.. my hands have bones and Abbie's look boneless almost).

Isaiah's hand looks a lot like an abbie hand! Wild that his fingers appear to be bending backward

Reactions: 8
Not that I'm a medical expert but it kinda looks like they have hypermobility in their finger joints. Maybe it's an underlying condition? Clearly genetic since we can see that Abbie, Isaiah and P have it.

Reactions: 13
Does JSA take them out much? I saw a few VLOGS where A&P went with JSA on some outings.. to the zoo I think. I wonder if they do take them out if A&P go as well.
I think they go on field trips 1-2 times per month. She has a one on one aide though.

Reactions: 6
Omg all their hands... Priscilla's hand looks like its melting here. Abbie's hands have always looked strange to me (I would watch videos then try to get my hand to look like hers but.. my hands have bones and Abbie's look boneless almost).

Isaiah's hand looks a lot like an abbie hand! Wild that his fingers appear to be bending backward
They should be doing all these OT things in this video with her every day. That exercise on the peanut thing is really good for her neck. I dont understand why she can't do all these things at home. Dummer and Becca should be doing these with her instead of hanging on her and booping her nose all day.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
They should be doing all these OT things in this video with her every day. That exercise on the peanut thing is really good for her neck. I dont understand why she can't do all these things at home. Dummer and Becca should be doing these with her instead of hanging on her and booping her nose all day.
Couldn't agree more! Absolutely nothing stopping those 2 (adult) paid members of the 'team' getting to work on this stuff!

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.