Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

derr1117

VIP Member
I think her school is working towards having that option - group homes and such. I think it would be good for her too but seriously wonder about the others that would live with her ... I think she would be a bit much? Idk
I’ve worked in a few where the heavy hitters or low functioning had 1:1 staff and the other 3-4 had 1or 2 other staff

Reactions: 3

Jamiebeth

VIP Member
The “Village” that JSA is looking to create, would allow everyone within the community to work, have appropriate oversight, learn, etc. and either live in a group home setting or independently. There are several of these communities popping up around the US. The problem is, by what I can tell, none of these would allow Abbie to work and live in them. They require that the person go through VR services and be able to handle some independent direction without complete oversight constantly...
These “Villages” are also very expensive. They not only require the parents to sign over their monthly funds but they also usually require the family to make several huge payments to secure housing. They are a logistical nightmare for Medicaid and Medicare to bill and depending on the state, if they can even use them. Some that aren’t dependent on Medicaid and Medicare require families to constantly pay monthly too..
In New Mexico or Texas, they did this with an apartment complex. Each 1 bedroom apartment, sold for $650k... Then their monthly funds from SSA and Medicaid were used for upkeep and care of all the individuals.. I don’t even know if they got to open..
The Village runs itself, having some learning to cook, others learning to fix items, etc. If they want to change jobs, they can request it and will eventually be able to try that job..
The biggest issue is that parents facing retirement, to find places like this, have to look at a huge debit, just to secure their adult child’s housing and even then, it isn’t completely secure because some of these never materialize and leave families scrambling to find long term housing...
But as Stripe69 says, Abbie is too IDD to be able to fulfil any useful function as she has nil attention span and would need constant supervision. She cant lay a table, cant peel vegetables, cant clean effectively so sadly would probably not be accepted into such a community.

It’s a shame Abbie will never be able to live in a place like Jen, I’m pretty impressed with it from what I can see...I’m sure that cost back

RocketQueen

VIP Member
Hang fire.... I was going to bed. But saw your comment. Just checked. The comments are still there. Mostly tagged on to in first few comments of the vlog.
I stg I cant see them! WTH??

Oh snap.....ok....didnt know they were buried as replies to "normal" comments. DUH. LOL

From what I’ve seen- that has been really selective and random in its occurrences. I just think FA hasn’t had enough traction yet to get the hammer.
If you look at their view count on their vids- it’s actually relatively low compared to other channels with around 500k subs (I think this is mainly because there are a few hundred thousand people that *used* to be interested, but no longer watch. Also, posting daily leaves less desired than weekly, monthly, etc).

I just don’t think Asa’s channel has the pull he claims to have in order for YT or Facebook to direct its attention.

Just my thoughts on it.

edit: now, maybe with what’s been happening this week with the influx of inappropriate and demeaning comments, they might inadvertently bring that attention, especially since many were quick to attempt to report that one series of disgusting comments.
Ah ok, thanks for explaining!

Thanks for the reference! I hadn't seen this video before.

KingOfTheHalls

This is off-topic, but what ever happened to that motorcycle repair shop that Asa has? I never see it in the vlogs anymore.

KeepinItReal516

Chatty Member
I was always under the impression that it wasn’t good for your hair to tie it tightly when it’s wet, is it me imagining things
No, I follow the same thing you said about not thing too right when wet. But they can at least tidy it up in a lose pony tail. Most of the time her hair looks like shit even when it’s dry.

cucumber

VIP Member
Wet dog in the house? :sick: Poor pup having lay on her bed soaking wet. I'm not surprised they can't look after a dog properly when they struggle to meet the all needs of their children.

Also I peeped a can of alcohol in this vlog. What a great idea to have around when you have a daughter that is known for "stealing" drinks. :rolleyes:
is hat really true???

• Sad

RocketQueen

VIP Member
Unfortunately, this is becoming more common with the increased rates of Autism and IDD and the lack of services. I know most of these stories don't make it into mainstream media.
Oh I agree. But this happened in 1982. There have never been enough services. Sad.

Jigsy

Food gouging, with us is what works. And also watching our Twerks.

Okay I thought I saw the comparison here.

On another note. In response to Abbie and the pets. Obviously she doesn’t intentionally hurt them, and most of the time she rarely interacts with them but in this video she actually grabs Sandy and even Isaiah takes notice and says “Abbie relax”

Starts at 12:11

Notice how dirty the bottom of P'S feet are in this video.

Last edited:

Glowfish

The “Village” that JSA is looking to create, would allow everyone within the community to work, have appropriate oversight, learn, etc. and either live in a group home setting or independently. There are several of these communities popping up around the US. The problem is, by what I can tell, none of these would allow Abbie to work and live in them. They require that the person go through VR services and be able to handle some independent direction without complete oversight constantly...
These “Villages” are also very expensive. They not only require the parents to sign over their monthly funds but they also usually require the family to make several huge payments to secure housing. They are a logistical nightmare for Medicaid and Medicare to bill and depending on the state, if they can even use them. Some that aren’t dependent on Medicaid and Medicare require families to constantly pay monthly too..
In New Mexico or Texas, they did this with an apartment complex. Each 1 bedroom apartment, sold for $650k... Then their monthly funds from SSA and Medicaid were used for upkeep and care of all the individuals.. I don’t even know if they got to open..
The Village runs itself, having some learning to cook, others learning to fix items, etc. If they want to change jobs, they can request it and will eventually be able to try that job..
The biggest issue is that parents facing retirement, to find places like this, have to look at a huge debit, just to secure their adult child’s housing and even then, it isn’t completely secure because some of these never materialize and leave families scrambling to find long term housing...
So do I think Asa and Priscilla wouldn’t hon
Exactly, an 18 at Lane Bryant is not the same as an 18 at Target
& formal dresses run small

So I think Asa and Priscilla wouldn’t honestly wouldn’t give the Medicare money up. I think they abuse those funds on non Abbie essentials.

& formal dresses run small

Littlestpeanut

So far the comments are all leghumpers saying how great the vlog was. And how it is never boring! One even said how she had an alarm set so she can come straight to his channel! Ugh! 😱🤢
Well....that's a bit much and unhealthy lol. (The girl and the whole alarm thing)