Fathering Autism #20. Toe Thumbs & Crooked Pinkies. Hiding Behind Doors to Make a Stinky

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you think this attitude is a USA thing? I'm like you - treat the patient that's in front of you that moment, making sure their needs are met. Holding someone down or drugging them just because they're being challenging just seems so wrong. I'm from Canada and I just can't comprehend this approach to patient care.
With all the emergency situations we have, I would say that this is a called for approach. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Fun fact: before this whole Coronavirus thing, the number one reason people were going into the ER (here in my city) was due to scooter accidents! I think I may have mentioned this before. We have them all over the place in my city and it got so bad to where they mandated that you can’t ride them on sidewalks/pavements anymore ... but the accidents keep happening. So, yea... these fools especially how obese they are ... they are bound to get into an accident. Of course I’m not wishing that on them, but they are too big to be riding them in the first place. Those things are no joke!

I can’t imagine the Pig having to maneuver around an accident waiting happen ...with her giddy self... and A would be too consumed with working the cameras and go pros to where he wouldn’t even see anything happening ... lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
The key thing with stimming is to a) find out the reason behind it (a person doesn't stim because they want to, they do it because of a neurological imperative), and b) re-direct a harmful stim as opposed to stopping it. So say, for example, your kid is head banging. This obviously can't continue, so while you're trying to find the root cause you focus on harm reduction - padded headbands, pillows/cushions behind their head, etc.

In terms of investigating, oh jesus, just pick something and go from there. When are they doing this? Throughout the day? At bed time (very common)? When you ask them to do something in particular? Before eating? After eating? Before/during/after toileting? Just at school? Just at home? When they're told no? When they have to go outside/inside? When they have to be around people or a particular person? When they're happy/sad/angry? Around animals? Check their vision, their hearing, their digestion (head banging is VERY common in autistic kids with IBS, sensitive stomachs, celiac, etc). And on and on and on until you think you've got it. Then address the situation(s) in what ever manner you think is appropriate (avoiding that activity/place if possible, self soothing, modified learning, etc) and try to redirect the stim into a non-harmful activity if it continues to happen.

It's not easy. I would never pretend that it is. But to give your kid/student/patient their happiest, healthiest life - this is what you gotta do.
I agree with what you've said and I was talking about similar things in the last thread about her routine and schedule being thrown off and that in turn setting off things such as her acting out, throwing tantrums, being confused and being stressed out. Maybe I chose the wrong word using 'want'. I meant it more in the way of allowing the child to total free reign to do whatever... not always in the sense of "I want to do this or that." but also that something comes to their mind and they act on it or they focus on the tactile sensory aspect regardless of whatever else may be involved. I know that stimming is largely a physical response to stimuli and it is done to try to self-sooth or self-regulate. To use a simple example, if I get a mosquito bite and scratch it - it's not because I want to do it, I have to do it in order to feel better.
My point was that I don't think it's right to just stand back and let her stim however she feels she has to if it's something harmful or dangerous.
I don't think it's suppressing who she is as a person to prevent her from hurting herself or others.
As I also said in the previous thread, Asa keeps changing things up like the place where she learns, which activities she's doing and in which order, the also overwhelming Abbie with too much input from Asa, Pricilla and Summer all at once, Asa always rushing her, not giving her a chance to do it herself, critiquing every little part of the activity -- taking all of that into account, I am not surprised at all that Abbie gets overwhelmed and acts out.
Or like in today's vlog when she was clinging onto Asa in the kitchen. It was out of the ordinary behavior and they just sort of stood around saying "I wonder why she's doing that? That's weird!"... but didn't go any further than that.

• Heart
Where I'm at and where I grew up it's mostly volunteer for both fire and paramedics. They try to have some trained ppl but it's a crapshoot if you get that person. Where I lived in VA nearest hospitals were an hour away with volunteers only for paramedics but they had to have one person each "shift" who could start an IV and give morphine. Guess it all depends on the area and good luck with your parents
Back in the early 80’s, I had family members who would listen for the emergency call on the 2 way? radio & head off to any fire emergencies. They were just small town volunteers. Didn’t know this still existed in the US.

I thought those were pills on her eyes! The donut earrings really got me! 🤣

I agree with what you've said and I was talking about similar things in the last thread about her routine and schedule being thrown off and that in turn setting off things such as her acting out, throwing tantrums, being confused and being stressed out. Maybe I chose the wrong word using 'want'. I meant it more in the way of allowing the child to total free reign to do whatever... not always in the sense of "I want to do this or that." but also that something comes to their mind and they act on it or they focus on the tactile sensory aspect regardless of whatever else may be involved. I know that stimming is largely a physical response to stimuli and it is done to try to self-sooth or self-regulate. To use a simple example, if I get a mosquito bite and scratch it - it's not because I want to do it, I have to do it in order to feel better.
My point was that I don't think it's right to just stand back and let her stim however she feels she has to if it's something harmful or dangerous.
I don't think it's suppressing who she is as a person to prevent her from hurting herself or others.
As I also said in the previous thread, Asa keeps changing things up like the place where she learns, which activities she's doing and in which order, the also overwhelming Abbie with too much input from Asa, Pricilla and Summer all at once, Asa always rushing her, not giving her a chance to do it herself, critiquing every little part of the activity -- taking all of that into account, I am not surprised at all that Abbie gets overwhelmed and acts out.
Or like in today's vlog when she was clinging onto Asa in the kitchen. It was out of the ordinary behavior and they just sort of stood around saying "I wonder why she's doing that? That's weird!"... but didn't go any further than that.
That too happy & smiling lion w/ the doll body is just weird to look at. Between the TV, busy patterned floor, bright unnatural lights, camera, new location, goofy toy that made no sense w/ color matching....I can totally understand why she went into sensory overload! Why can’t they see it? I cannot freaking stand his post it note obsession. Give it up. It’s worthless & going no where. (reiterating & venting about that lion!) lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
He parented that yellow lion situation totally differently because the ST was watching. He would’ve just let her take a break, rather than trying to take it further & find out why she’s so whacked out & maybe dizzy. Well duh, whether she can control it or not, she stares at those bright kitchen lights A LOT. She’s potentially hurting her eyes. I keep repeating that if she blings out her eyes, then guess what, no work. If she’s not squinting to hide herself, she’s staring into lights.

And the ST talking to her from behind her back was also adding to the sensory overload. Too many cooks in the kitchen!

Attachments

Reactions: 16
That too happy & smiling lion w/ the doll body is just weird to look at. Between the TV, busy patterned floor, bright unnatural lights, camera, new location, goofy toy that made no sense w/ color matching....I can totally understand why she went into sensory overload! Why can’t they see it? I cannot freaking stand his post it note obsession. Give it up. It’s worthless & going no where. (reiterating & venting about that lion!) lol
Asa seems to be very selective when he talks about or acknowledges Abbie's SPD and how it affects her. There is just way too much going on. The tv should be off during lessons, try to minimize the amount of distractions and sensory input, stop changing up the places where she does her lessons. The only time a change of environment would work is if it's in relation to the thing being taught. But even so, do it on a schedule at the same time every time so that she can know when to expect that change of environment happening.
I agree that he needs to move on from the post it color matching exercise. I don't see how it helps Abbie unless they tell her to get the blue cup from the cupboard or something like that. If he wants to have her match something, maybe it could be cup to cup, bowl to bowl, spoon to spoon. Something that is more geared towards something she can actually get use out of.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
He parented that yellow lion situation totally differently because the ST was watching. He would’ve just let her take a break, rather than trying to take it further & find out why she’s so whacked out & maybe dizzy. Well duh, whether she can control it or not, she stares at those bright kitchen lights A LOT. She’s potentially hurting her eyes. I keep repeating that if she blings out her eyes, then guess what, no work. If she’s not squinting to hide herself, she’s staring into lights.

And the ST talking to her from behind her back was also adding to the sensory overload. Too many cooks in the kitchen!
I believe she was just wanting to get food ... hence her trying to run in the direction of the fridge. She was probably so confused as to why she was in the “eating” area and here he is trying to make her do some work matching some damn colors. Ok can someone tell me what is the point of these color matching activities ? She doesn’t even know numbers ... she doesn’t know most stuff outside of eating and music. So what are they trying to accomplish at this point? Right now they need to be teaching hygiene, not jumping in the pool with clothes on, how to avoid strangers (as opposed to forcing her to hug them), how to eat properly and not grab others’ food etc... all the numbers, colors and stuff like that needs to go cause it’s too late imo

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Didn’t he say she cannot do ‘air learning’ or something like that? She won’t point to a color on her ipad, yet supposedly knows a few colors. So he had a bright idea that if he brings something tangible into the mix, like a post it, then she can function better.

But if they want her to get a blue bowl from the cabinet, are they always going to find something blue first? I’m not sure if she is able to pick out the requested color item even 50% of the time. She might be around 25% of the time, & in Silly’s tone, “and that’s ok.” (This is my guess from what he shows us).

• Haha
I hope they encourage her to do it.
I think it's fuking awesome and I want to see it more!
She doesn't know it's not socially acceptable, no but she does not know much of anything.
She surely has no clue her no class daddy is putting that out for the world to see.
I wish Ass would have more respect for Abbie and edit that out. He says he spends hours editing yet he continues to show things that are unflattering to others in house.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

'THE one where Abbie picks her nose to the point of bleeding'
If I’m speaking with 2 or more ppl & the person who had previously brought up something that “was a good point,” & relevant to the discussion, I’d let that person share. But Assa, NOPE! He brings it up & talks for Prisss. And continues talking & talking over her. I’m halfway wondering if he’s also triggered by her crooked lips & lisping though?

He called the blog designer on the way home to say he’s writing a killer review! Pathetic.

Oh the parallel with their feelings over the play vs. our feelings over his special needs child exploitation on social media. Darn right we have opinions over their profiting off Abbie.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Summer feeds her like a baby. I guess it’s a best friends thing.

Ugh I hated that vlog she was waving the cookie at her saying “What is this, you want this” like she is a dog.

He showed that he hasn’t got a clue what he’s doing and how thoughtless he is towards Abbie. And as for them standing around laughing I thought that was awful and disrespectful. They should have been looking to try and find out what was causing this. I agree that the light and the acoustics in the kitchen are too much for her. They could use a lamp when shes in the room and they could put kitchen mats on the floor in the kitchen.

Hey Tonia. Stop lying or we’ll think you’re on their payroll. You know damn well it’s 2 little skin tags. (Maybe she successfully pulled them off?) Heck, Assa even said that’s what it was when she began picking at the one on the side of her neck. Some fan you are.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.