Fathering Autism #2 Selling autism, gluttonous lifestyle, and pyramid schemes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
OK, that's it. I am convinced. Abbie can say the word "no." Watch in the latest video (She'll Be Back) starting from about 17:11. She says it a couple of times, and in the right context because they're telling her to go to bed and she doesn't want to.

I have heard her say it enough times now to be pretty damn sure. That said, I think that is the ONLY word she knows. But that's something, right? Why don't they discuss this at all? I wonder if they've been emotionally burned too many times with a glimmer of hope for her progress only to have it turn out to be nothing.
I heard it too. No isn't an unusual first word and it would go along with her mental age.

Reactions: 6
I heard it too. No isn't an unusual first word and it would go along with her mental age.
I’m not sure that her brain, mouth, tongue, & jaw will ever work as one to purposefully say “no.” I see it as more of her moaning & complaining sound. Thinking back into the history of phonics, her neanderthal (sci proved all humans carry the genes now) “naughoughhhwww” is how the word NO was likely formed. Not sure about all other languages. I could be way off. I’m just guessing. Rather than parents to caregivers just sit on the couch w/ her, why don’t they read over the alphabet, phonics learning, flash cards, etc! Imagine being a fly on the wall when it’s just a parent or caregiver. I’m sure they’re just on their phone...& maybe reading here. haha

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Has anyone noticed that they aren't showing Abbie in the car doing that violent rocking? They used to. show that every time she was in the car. Also their "fans". want to see more of Abbie having meltdowns.. are you kidding? Seems like we have seen enough of that.. why do they need to see more?

Also.. they make a big deal about Summer going away for the weekend.. is this the first weekend she has gone away since she moved in? Seems like she would want to do other things besides hang out with them...

Reactions: 7
Well they need to make a video addressing it instead of letting people assume.

I actually just read an article about communicating as a person with non verbal autism.

“Many years of my life were spent in an Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) school. I had to do my drills over and over until I was bored and frustrated with my teachers. Then I would have meltdowns. For me, ABA is not a solution. I experienced long hours meeting goals like pointing to flashcards and pointing to my own nose. I believe people need to be able to set their own goals. No person should be without a voice. I believe in teaching communication first. Meaningful communication means being able to say what I want to say. People must believe we are capable and that our minds are intact.”

So if Abbie actually is saying “No” and all the other words, then they should address it.

It’s becoming confusing to me. On one hand I think it’s wrong to assume she’s talking and put pressure on non verbals to talk.....but on the other hand after reading this article, it seems it could be important to pay attention to those sounds/words.

@Sam-I-Am what do you think?

Reactions: 4

I actually just read an article about communicating as a person with non verbal autism.

“Many years of my life were spent in an Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) school. I had to do my drills over and over until I was bored and frustrated with my teachers. Then I would have meltdowns. For me, ABA is not a solution. I experienced long hours meeting goals like pointing to flashcards and pointing to my own nose. I believe people need to be able to set their own goals. No person should be without a voice. I believe in teaching communication first. Meaningful communication means being able to say what I want to say. People must believe we are capable and that our minds are intact.”

So if Abbie actually is saying “No” and all the other words, then they should address it.

It’s becoming confusing to me. On one hand I think it’s wrong to assume she’s talking and put pressure on non verbals to talk.....but on the other hand after reading this article, it seems it could be important to pay attention to those sounds/words.

I will say, I am not in the ABA ring. I have seen it, we did some modified ABA therapy with a few of the kids. We have 2 children that go to an ABA discipline ran school (not Autism school but the EC classes are ran that way). They are not full ABA all day though... I just believed intense therapy like this would be punishment for anyone.. Especially as when they are toddlers, it is recommended that they do 35-40 hours a week...

Anyways, to answer the question about Abbie, it is back to validating what she is possibly saying... Which at any age, is huge for an individual.

If they even think she is saying "no," "Mom," etc.. which anyone with some ears could hear through the grunts and groans, then they need to validate it. When she gets told to go to bed.. She usually will grunt "no." That needs to be validated with "I know you said no but it is bedtime.." Even a "did you say No?" could be asked. If she shakes her head "yes" then you know she is communicating with you! Even if it is with grunts of no... It is still language.. I wished they would show her yes and no in ASL.. They could adapt it to them even.. It isn't that hard and she would have a yes or no answer... That would be HUGE for her, to make her own decisions and validating her opinions with ASL... Then they could work with yes and no more..

To me, it seems like A & P look at the big picture and don't see the small things that Abbie is picking up on..

Reactions: 9
I will say, I am not in the ABA ring. I have seen it, we did some modified ABA therapy with a few of the kids. We have 2 children that go to an ABA discipline ran school (not Autism school but the EC classes are ran that way). They are not full ABA all day though... I just believed intense therapy like this would be punishment for anyone.. Especially as when they are toddlers, it is recommended that they do 35-40 hours a week...

Anyways, to answer the question about Abbie, it is back to validating what she is possibly saying... Which at any age, is huge for an individual.

If they even think she is saying "no," "Mom," etc.. which anyone with some ears could hear through the grunts and groans, then they need to validate it. When she gets told to go to bed.. She usually will grunt "no." That needs to be validated with "I know you said no but it is bedtime.." Even a "did you say No?" could be asked. If she shakes her head "yes" then you know she is communicating with you! Even if it is with grunts of no... It is still language.. I wished they would show her yes and no in ASL.. They could adapt it to them even.. It isn't that hard and she would have a yes or no answer... That would be HUGE for her, to make her own decisions and validating her opinions with ASL... Then they could work with yes and no more..

To me, it seems like A & P look at the big picture and don't see the small things that Abbie is picking up on..
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. That would help her better understand choices.

Reactions: 5
They went and got Ab’s dress for the Tim Tebow event. Surprised they didn’t take care of this dress sooner but whatever.

Has anyone noticed that they aren't showing Abbie in the car doing that violent rocking? They used to. show that every time she was in the car. Also their "fans". want to see more of Abbie having meltdowns.. are you kidding? Seems like we have seen enough of that.. why do they need to see more?

Also.. they make a big deal about Summer going away for the weekend.. is this the first weekend she has gone away since she moved in? Seems like she would want to do other things besides hang out with them...
Oh that rocking makes me anxious. It can’t be doing her brain any good because she does it so violently. Also when she does that head thing when she’s excited. As for the meltdowns, they are uncomfortable to watch, I can’t understand why anyone would want to see more of them.

They went and got Ab’s dress for the Tim Tebow event. Surprised they didn’t take care of this dress sooner but whatever.
Glad they got her a new dress and didn't make her wear that ugly brown dress she had to wear at the photoshoot. Which she wore previously on the Christmas mountain trip.
I never understood why everyone else wore new clothes but her. 😞
Yeah I did. Lazy ass parents. IMO.

Reactions: 6
Oh that rocking makes me anxious. It can’t be doing her brain any good because she does it so violently. Also when she does that head thing when she’s excited. As for the meltdowns, they are uncomfortable to watch, I can’t understand why anyone would want to see more of them.
I keep waiting for her to bash her head against the wall.
Blood and pieces of skull everywhere.
You would think she would wear a helmet!
Or redirect her to do a safer thing.

He was trying so hard to evoke emotions. Abbie only cares about her next meal.

Abbie has never worn socks in the entire series. Her feet must smell and no shoes no service used to be posted in food establishments. What a pathetic bunch. I still wonder how she figures right foot from left foot.

New thread: Fathering Autism #3. Selling autism to buy daughter socks

• Haha
Reactions: 4

We have a wonderful group of educated caring people in this group and I feel lucky to be part of the group!

I don't think they would want to acknowledge Abby saying "No." That would expose the fact that they make her do things she doesn't want to do. They would lose their ability to treat her like performing trained entertainment. I absolutely cringe when they tell her to do something in front of people like we would show off a trained animal. Especially making her hug strangers and pose for pictures. She looks miserable. In a recent video Asa is talking to Summer and Becca about Abby right in front of her. She then moved to the corner of the couch away from them and starts rocking in what looks like anger. At one point I thought I heard her say "No." In an appropriate place of the conversation going on. I thought as I watched, "If she understands they just betrayed her and hurt her feelings which is likely why she had that reaction. Poor girl can't even trust who she thought were her friends. Summer makes fun of her, imitates her and laughs at her all the time. Nothing like paying someone and rooming them to make fun of your disabled daughter. Nanny was Abby's only real friend and you see what happened to her. Just wish she would open up to the right person and tell all. It was pitiful watching Abby go from sitting beside her friends smiling to moving away from them to her corner alone..as always.😢

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. That would help her better understand choices.
There are quite a few EXTREMELY intelligent people in this group, with Sam-I-Am being one of them. I’m so thankful there is a place like this where I can come to read ideas and responses that make sense and are not just honey sweet adorations.

Reactions: 11
Lauren was kinda vicious about Ella in her vlog. Priscilla must be rubbing off. John is so much better than Asa. I disagree with his choice about quitting his job, but I’m convinced he’s going back.

Reactions: 1
Where are Summer’s friends and peers? At her age, typically young people are with peers their age, doing fun things, being involved with romantic interests. She never mentions boys or dates, and seems to prefer making cookies with Abbie. That’s all fine, I guess, but is a bit irregular. When I was her age, I had a ton of friends from school and boys were center importance in my world. If I were Summer’s parents I would be concerned.

interesting! (about lauren)

Where are Summer’s friends and peers? At her age, typically young people are with peers their age, doing fun things, being involved with romantic interests. She never mentions boys or dates, and seems to prefer making cookies with Abbie. That’s all fine, I guess, but is a bit irregular. When I was her age, I had a ton of friends from school and boys were center importance in my world. If I were Summer’s parents I would be concerned.
eh...she’s just one of those nerdy young women who will likely marry young & think she has a social life, but never really had one...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.