Fathering Autism #14

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He replied

Defensive. He is really getting rattled now.

1. This was the leghumper I was talking about last week. This person posts a ton of time stamps that have nothing to do with what they are trying to say. It’s weird & pointless. Assuming they are low functioning.

2. Is this low functioning leghumper really trying to scorn them for having kids & then saying they never get alone time? lmao.
Oh my. Low functioning leghumper, that has really tickled me

We had to keep our kids home this weekend from my grandparents house. They ALWAYS go over there bc, my grandparents love having them and they love going. (My grandparents are in their 80's and my kids are 11 and 1 years old.) My grandmother has bad allergies and has had a flare up but, we can't be 100% sure it's not the virus, so, we kept them home. The kids were crying and my grandma was upset but, we had no choice. This tit isn't a joke. Nobody should be taking chances with this tit.
I usually have my grandchildren every weekend. It’s been a month since I have held them and it’s killing me. I see them on FaceTime every day but I can’t cuddle them or smell their hair or tickle my grandsons feet ( which he loves ) it’s so hard

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
After ASSa said something like “Marriage or being married has definitely been a challenge”😂😂😂
OMG I was dying laughing at 🐽🐷’s reaction😂😂😂😂
Here are some screenshots right after he said it...His face reacting to her reaction 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️😂😂in that first pic 😂
B4464CD1-C5C1-42D9-B683-810A0118166F.jpeg
9798C6A7-03EA-45DD-8CB9-7A814E2E9DE7.jpeg
DD333402-E8E0-4F59-930C-0481C8811C6B.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 15
Seriously. The family acts like the Coronavirus and the precautions needed are just inconveniences. They don't have a Memory game in the house?
They could make one with cut up paper with simple drawings or index cards... wait that takes too much work.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Isaiah loves Abbie, but I promise, deep down he resents her a bit too. Its only natural. His life has been taken over by all things Abbie....thats their job alone, not the job of a sibling.
I want to offer my perspective. As a sibling of someone severely physically and mentally impaired (Rett Syndrome), I never resented her. I resented my parents for making me take care of her instead of being allowed to go be a teenager and have fun with the few friends I did have. If my mom wasn't around my dad made me take care of my sister. Started around the age of 11, when she was 7. I love her and I'm extremely close to her, I'm the 3rd caregiver now and voluntarily give my parents breaks, but as a child I would get angry that I had to give up my time on the weekends, or even have homework interrupted to care for her, when my dad was perfectly capable. My older sister doesn't help with her at all, as she moved out when she was 16 (sis was 5 and I was 9), and our younger brother (he's 3 years younger than her) only had to sit with her after school in his teens and into adulthood until parents got home from work, never any intimate care.
I imagine this might be how Isaiah feels. He may resent them but it's not Abby's fault her parents are lazy and self-centered. He should not be expected to be her caregiver when they are gone unless he genuinely wants to. I want to be my sister's guardian when that time comes but he may not want that and it shouldn't be expected of him.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Do you think it's because of "autism" or her Severe IDD?
Welcome, btw.😁
I'm not exactly sure whether that belongs to IDD as well but it's definitely an autistic trait. Many people with autism have a hard time generalizing skills regardless of their intellectual capabilities.

Reactions: 8
Hello to everyone here. I'm a lurker who found this site after the whole "other daughter" controversy broke. Even before that, I was very much on my way out the door as far was watching their channel was concerned. Their noticeable inconsistency regarding healthy diet and disciplining Abbie was starting to get to me even before their big move into the new house.

Anyways, I decided I wanted to add my two sense on some of Abbie's behaviours. While I'm aware Abbie is I.D.D and Autism, the likes of Carly Fleischmann were also thought to have significant intellectual impairments. Many of Carly's behaviours mirror Abbie's, from the food stealing, to the ripping sheets off of beds, to the eloping, staring off into space, and so forth.

Here is quote from her father Arthur Fleischmann, who gave a talk at Holland-Bloorview hospital in Toronto on the subject of Carly:
"Carly talked a bit about the early days when she would hit herself, and she would say, 'Sometimes it was because I was in pins and needles. I was in a lot of pain; but sometimes, I was trying to stop myself from doing what I knew I wasn't supposed to do. So if I had the urge to dump something or break something, you would see me hit myself, and it's cause I didn't want to do it'. And she would cry, and say 'I'm so upset because I know I'm not supposed to do it'. And everyone's telling me, 'That's naughty. Don't do that, Carly. Don't do that". And again, she's going, 'I know. Like I know not to do it. Can't you help me stop doing it'. And so you can imagine the frustration of a life where she's compelled to do these things, and everyone's scolds her like she's naughty, and like, that's not helping. So she's scolding herself, and she's frustrated, and in pain.."

Mr Fleischmann mentions in the same speech that the food stealing and ripping sheets off of beds thing was a compulsion Carly's brain was screaming at her, rather than the impulsive bad behaviour of a younger child. If she didn't obey the compulsion, it would physically hurt her.

There have been times in previous vlogs where Abbie is hitting herself for seemingly no reason. In one old vlog, Brandy is over for therapy. Cilla is next to Abbie who is hitting herself off camera (Asa says as much). They claim they hadn't denied her anything; yet here she is banging on her legs. Is it for the same reason as Carly? Who knows. Maybe she's trying to resist a compulsion like Carly was. We can't say for certain she wasn't. We just don't know.

Carly herself gave an interview where she said the following:
Question: Can you describe how you feel inside? Do you think this is different from kids who don't have Autism?
Carly: The problem is I don't know what other kids without autism are feeling. I have fights with myself every day. Right when I wake up to when I go to sleep. I can't even go in the washroom without telling myself not to pick up the soap and smell it or fight with myself not to empty all the shampoo bottles."

So again, we must ask ourselves the question: how many of Abbie's behaviours is she really unaware of? When she dumps things over or constantly grabs other people's food, she may be more aware than we're willing to admit.

Carly also ventures onto the topic of why Autistic kids appear to cry or laugh for no reason.
Question: Do you ever scream for what seemed like no reason? Like you showed a happy face, and everything was calm and relaxed, but you just start screaming? My daughter sometimes does it and I am trying to figure out why. Thanks!
Carly: I love this question. She is audio filtering and breaking down sounds noises and conversation throughout the day. Other than screaming, you might see crying or laughing fits and even anger. It's our reaction from finally understanding things that were said and done last min; last day, last month. She is fine and tell her to keep it up.

How many times have we seen this with Abbie? The laughing fits and crying for no apparent reason (eg. the fairground vlog, where she's crying at the end, where Asa says Abbie all of a sudden got upset for no reason).

Special needs activist and documentary film maker Dan Habib has always said, "Assume competency". His son Samuel has cerebral palsy, and is wheelchair bound. People constantly talk to Samuel like he's a child, which apparently pisses him off to no end. Dan Habib has encountered many special needs individuals, including those with I.D.D and Autism, throughout his career, who were talked to like babies when they were absorbing everything.

Cilla, Assa, and Summer constantly speak to Abbie like she's a baby. More so Cilla and Summer, than Asa. If it ever comes out that Abbie is more aware, God will they feel badly, and so they should.

Furthermore, Temple Grandin's mother has stressed the importance of consistency when it comes to schooling kids with Autism, like her daughter. Something A and P sorely lack.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
Do read Temple Grandins advice for autistic children during coronavirus isolation - keep to a schedule, keep them occupied and not sitting on the sofa for hours. If anybody knows about autism it is her.

Abbie has been sent numerous toys and games which you see being opened and then never seen again. Now surely is the time to get them out and interact with her and they just may find something she can focus on for more than 5 seconds

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I know this is a gossip site and I respect everyone's opinion but I have to speak up and advocate for Abbie. Abbie is a vulnerable child.
The words used to describe her are appalling. And defending the hatred filled statements with it's not her fault it's her parents is a smoke screen for the blatant discrimination and hatred of a child with intellectual disablities. Go ahead and call A&P all the nasty things your mind can muster, hell I'll even join in, but I can't be apart of this cruelty directed at a child. Here are some examples of what has been said about Abbie:
She is a beast, gross, lazy, spoiled, a monster, a bully, obnoxious, she has a crappy attitude, scary, an asshole, disgusting, and a walking vegetable.
She does not belong in public, she shouldn't be in public, she isn't fit to be in public. And my personal favorite 😡 she would be better off in an institution. Shall we go back to the fifties?
View attachment 106366

I would like to ask you if you would say those things about your children, or your grandchildren, your nephews or nieces or any child for that matter?
YES! Thank you for addressing the blatant ableism in this forum! Don't get me wrong, we have all had ableist thoughts at one time or another, without realising, but the best thing we can do is educate ourselves and other people! I'm on my laptop so can't type any emojis, but if I could I give you (the re quoter) lots of clapping emojis!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Do read Temple Grandins advice for autistic children during coronavirus isolation - keep to a schedule, keep them occupied and not sitting on the sofa for hours. If anybody knows about autism it is her.

Abbie has been sent numerous toys and games which you see being opened and then never seen again. Now surely is the time to get them out and interact with her and they just may find something she can focus on for more than 5 seconds
Great idea but it's not gonna happen.
It would take effort on the part of the hambeasts.
We all know the E word is not a word they are familiar with. IMO.
Those things were probably tossed in the garbage when they moved anyway.
Very few things that resemble toys made it to the new house.
What did make it is hidden away in Abbie's room.

Reactions: 10
I don’t think they speak to Abbie like a baby at all. Baby talk to me is the same as talking to a dog, I know it’s unnecessary, but babies & dogs do react to a higher pitch. I think a few here might be taking Abbie’s life a bit too seriously.

Reactions: 2
YES! Thank you for addressing the blatant ableism in this forum! Don't get me wrong, we have all had ableist thoughts at one time or another, without realising, but the best thing we can do is educate ourselves and other people! I'm on my laptop so can't type any emojis, but if I could I give you (the re quoter) lots of clapping emojis!
I don’t want to get involved with all the differences of opinions but I really think we should draw a line under things and move on,
People all have their own views and as can be seen from the posts the last couple of days, they vary enormously. It is pointless trying to change people’s minds if they are set on their opinion and all it does is cause disharmony in a place that
Is a forum for gossip.
Let’s all agree that we disagree on certain points .

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I liked the mom...I’m so sad he died..does anyone know how? That is sad 😢
Yeeah I found these

I love how they advocate for the use of AAC (compared to the Maa$$' who keep Abbie's words limited and don't giver her device often/didn't use it often enough when she was younger)
But just one quick thing, remember the autistic community doesn't like the puzzle piece! I think it's @10fingers10toes who has an incredibly great neurodiversity symbol as their profile pic, great job!! (Just saying that because the background of the above links have puzzle pieces so just keep what I said in mind) :)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
@Coreander ,

My thoughts on the points you've brought up. In regards to Carly Fleischman, yes, I agree she is an example of most people underestimating someone with autism. I agree that there is a possibility that Abbie is in a similar situation. However, I think that possibility is quite small. Abbie has been diagnosed with IDD and she exhibits many traits of IDD people. From what I've observed in the vlogs, and I think Asa may have mentioned this once or twice, Abbie has never shown a desire to communicate in the way that Carly does. Abbie has never attempted to write out her thoughts (whether that's on a laptop or on paper) IIRC, Asa may have mentioned opening up a writing program on a laptop, explaining what it's for and asking her if she wants to write (or type). Abbie showed no interest. Now, I don't know how many times they tried that with Abbie. If it was only one or two times, maybe she just wasn't into it. I don't know.

Ultimately, there is no way for us to know exactly what goes on in Abbie's mind. But from what I've seen, I really doubt that she is like Carly.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
This is definitely crossing a line! You have the right to your opinion, which you have expressed in quite a nasty way (which is why I find it ironic you calling A&P nasty fuckers), but to call Abbie 'a little witch' is going too far.
It's quite clear how you feel towards Abbie, your anger and almost hatred towards her is quite apparent. She is by no means an angel but she is not deserving of so much of your anger towards her and she most certainly is not deserving of being called a little witch. Can you really not control your emotions that you call an IDD person a name like that??
Honestly!
What gives you the right to try and censor anything that anyone else says? Hmm?? Honestly what gives you that right? Answer the question bc, I really want to know. I really don't think your going to be able to come up with anything of value here. You say folks can have their opinions but, in the same paragraph, you try and say that I shouldn't!!! I think we have some ppl that overstep boundaries here and your one of them. Your not my doctor, so, how can you so freely diagnose me with "anger" issues? Hmmmm?? You have no right and you know that. It's one thing to say you don't agree but, a whole nother thing to try and censor someone. Sounds like your the only one that got angry there. Did I make you mad?? Awww. Just like I said before, the whole reason I came here is to say things that won't make you mad, isnt it?? I'm just here for you arent I?

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.