Fathering Autism #11 S.O.S. we need vlog content, gotta make back all the money we spent

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I posed a question, hence the ? Mark. You need to stay in your lane and stop trying to censor my posts.

When I witness, time and time again, a severely IDD child that is being used as fodder for the world to see. For the sole purpose of making money, I will step up. I will advocate for that child. What they are doing is a form of abuse. If you don’t think it is, why are you even on this forum? Abbie needs advocates because the people that are supposed to protect her are using her as their cash cow.
I honestly don’t think Abbie would be better off in a home. The best place for her is with the people who she is familiar with. The said people have spoiled her and created what she is today but I can’t imagine what she would go through in a home

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Hey I don’t mean to be “that person” but ABA isn’t a great tool for autistic people...you could join a FB group for autistic people and parents etc of autistic people called “Autism Inclusivity” or read writings by autistic people too..Many autistic people are very outspoken about the harms of ABA, which is a big reason why they *hate* Fathering Autism, because of how they treat Abbie. P even went in the group after someone snitched about who called CPS on them, and people tried to educate her, and she wouldn’t listen...
It's okay! I understand about its shady history and how it can be used to hurt autistic people. It really comes down to the therapists and the parents.

Many parents I know (I have autistic children myself, so I know many parents with an autistic kid) view the therapy as something to help their child seem "typical". They try and train the stimming out, they deny food, cuddles, etc.

This is harmful. However, most people practiced some form of ABA- if someone does (action or behavior) and you either praise or punish them, that's ABA at it's most basic.

I see ABA as a means to teach my kids skills. I dont believe stopping stims, forcing eye contact, or denial of food. There is no punishment allowed from the therapists. (Punishment is just short time out for harming others)

I have a hard time disliking ABA because of everything it has given us as a family. Both of my kids are on the spectrum. My 7yo is considered high functioning (I dislike these labels, but it helps you to know where he is). He has a very hard time with sensory overload- the feeling of clothes, noise, crowds. We weren't able to leave the house with him for years. I used ABA to give my child the skills to go outside, and later, to stores. My child is now in school (well, he was until quarantine two/ three weeks ago) and can be in a classroom with his peers.

I've heard autistic adults say things like, well just dont take him to places that upset him. While I would never take him to Disneyland, it IS necessary that he be able to go grocery shopping. I wont live forever.

As for his sibling, my other child is 3. He seems to be more affected. I suspect there may be some IDD in there too. He reminds me of abbie in some ways, with the yelling and rocking. He used to purposely hit ththe back of his head against the wall over and over. He was completely nonverbal as well, to the point I was convinced he had hearing issues. Even now at three, he only has the vocabulary of someone under 2. ABA gave us the tools to help him stop self harming and to get the yelling under control. It gave us the direct award to reinforce speech. Having a child who cant communicate is frightening, but we are helping him with that.

The interesting thing about autism is that they dont seem to learn just by watching. We dont need to have such a direct award system for neurotypical kids, and often social praise is enough.

Most kids, for example, pick up on pointing. They see others do it, they understand that they can get an item by gesturing at it. For autistic people, pointing isnt natural. It needs to be taught. I sat with both my kids for *months* teaching them to point at what they wanted. Teaching them to follow my gaze and my pointing- because see, they also dont pick up ok following a gaze. These skills probably dont seem important, but they really are.

It's a tricky, fine line. I dont want my kids to appear NT. But I do want them to have skills to live in this world once I am no longer able to help or advocate for them. I hope that makes sense. All the best 💖

• Heart
Reactions: 19
YES! I noticed it too. He's young enough where he can stop it but he's gonna have to opt outta some of those DD and fast food runs.
On one vlog after football season Isiah and Moobman were using( got an endorsement) some sort of protein powder to help get the weight he had put on for football season.
Am sure he may have tried,but w all the crap they have constantly it became to much to keep doing.
And come on,we all know about the freshman 15! So if he has this weight on now,what will mid freshman season look like for him? Am sure they will all blame the weight gain on the pandemic/isolation,cause ya know,no healthy foods anywhere/or limited.
🙄🙄

• Heart
You know what Asa, since Dunkin won't bite, here are a list of brands that would be PERFECT to $ponsor your $how:
  1. PEPTO BISMOL (Cause ya'll vlogging around the pool, :sick:viewers seriously need it)
  2. TYLENOL (Cause who can watch without getting a headache😤)
  3. ST. JOHN'S WART ( Cause them hands 😖)
  4. DOVE SOAP (Cause them feet 😩)
  5. PREPARATION H ( Cause those 80 hours at the"office" and all that beef and potatoes has got to be.... tough 🤫)
Your Welcome
THIS IS GREAT 🤣🤣🤣🤣😋

• Haha
  • Heart
I myself have often wondered why Abbie hasn’t been taught to sign more. While my Grandson was not as severe as Abbie is,he was non verbal until just after 5. In the beginning he would screech,bang things,kick,etc to get what he needed. It was an endless guessing game for all involved.
When his therapy did start at about 2 or so one of the first things was to teach him to sign. It was small at first..words such as eat,drink,etc. But by age 3 1/2 he had a whole stream of words to “converse” w people. Yes,it was hard,tiring,work day in and day out. His sisters also learned to sign as well so they could “talk” to him and help him.
knowing how to do this was a major shift in his moods,his frustrations,etc. Sure,there were some bad days,but he could in some ways tell others what was wrong( head hurt,bellyache,etc). It wasn’t a cure all be all,but it made his world a bit better and those who took care of him better able to help him.
As I said,he is not/was not as severe as Abbie,nor did he have IDD issues( he did when small bang his head rock back and forth,have meltdowns per se).
Maybe it’s much to late now,I don’t know,but it’s still IMO worth a try.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
While some of what you say has merit....you making a blatant claim that Abbie is abused and should be reported/removed makes all your other points disappear to the wayside. Someone, either a “fan” or someone from one of these gossip sites, has already contacted DCPS with claims of abuse and a caseworker investigated/closed the case. While I do not agree with the exploitation, there is no law against it and at this point it is a parenting choice, Abbie is clothed/fed/has a roof over her head and people in her life who love her......your bold statement about her needing to be removed from them, have you watched Jen from rebranding autism and her experience in various facilities? What happened to Jen is far more common than finding a facility/group home that treats those in it properly. Do I like/agree with everything they do? No! Do I turn and walk the other direction when I see them in public? Yes! Would I ever believe I know more than the mandated reporters like Brandy or the speech therapist, etc that are frequent visitors to Abbie’s world and feel there is nothing to report? Absolutely not! Not only that, as a mandated reporter myself, you go through classes, etc to learn to recognize abuse AND you also learn to NOT report things based on assumptions....in order to make that call, you need to have evidence or have witnessed it directly and none of us have that kind of access to Abbie or the family. Again, I don’t agree with the exploitation and I parent my children differently than they do(meaning I don’t agree with a lot of their choices) but I also know how completely broken our system in general and specifically in Florida is....children have been placed in foster homes , never checked on and been further abused/killed only for it to be discovered several years later. I say that as a licensed foster parent and mandated reporter, there certainly ARE some amazing foster parents but there are a lot that take as many kids as the state will allow/do the bare minimum that’s required just for the extra money and sadly there are those that don’t even do the bare minimum. For example, our home is licensed for up to 3 children(that’s on top of my own four) and we have the additional training to foster medically fragile/complex children.....at this time in our lives we have chosen to only accept children ages 2 and under(that’s a personal choice for our family due to the ages of our kids, as our youngest get older will expand the ages we accept)......all of that to say, in general, we have decided to only accept one placement at a time(except for extenuating circumstances, like a temporary emergency placement for a few days or as respite for another family for a few days). We have had two placements, both from birth, our first had Down syndrome & was adopted by family....our second(current) was placed with us at birth/born addicted to narcotics & HIV+ with zero prenatal care....while we could potentially “handle” more than one for an extended period of time, we feel that focusing on one works best for our family as a unit......anyways, all that to say, the system here specifically is no place for any child or special needs adult. Let me give you just a very minor example, one of our foster friends currently has a placement with similar needs to ours BUT recently it was discovered that baby has a rare genetic eye syndrome that can lead to permanent blindness.....treatment early is imperative to successfully keeping vision and even though a TEAM of Drs have been pushing as hard as possible, the system is so backlogged that it took almost two weeks to have the order for treatment signed. Now while it really is urgent, thank heavens it’s not a life or death thing.....because at two weeks out it could have been too late. And it’s not the foster parents fault, not the social workers fault(she’s a bulldog and really goes to bat for all her cases), not the Drs fault(they did everything they legally could) and not the judges fault(there is a HUGE backlog and lots of things are urgent)......it’s nobodies fault but the broken system. Now take all that into account and you honestly believe THAT is a better situation for Abbie versus home?
Thank you for sharing this. I am learning here everyday 🤝

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I myself have often wondered why Abbie hasn’t been taught to sign more. While my Grandson was not as severe as Abbie is,he was non verbal until just after 5. In the beginning he would screech,bang things,kick,etc to get what he needed. It was an endless guessing game for all involved.
When his therapy did start at about 2 or so one of the first things was to teach him to sign. It was small at first..words such as eat,drink,etc. But by age 3 1/2 he had a whole stream of words to “converse” w people. Yes,it was hard,tiring,work day in and day out. His sisters also learned to sign as well so they could “talk” to him and help him.
knowing how to do this was a major shift in his moods,his frustrations,etc. Sure,there were some bad days,but he could in some ways tell others what was wrong( head hurt,bellyache,etc). It wasn’t a cure all be all,but it made his world a bit better and those who took care of him better able to help him.
As I said,he is not/was not as severe as Abbie,nor did he have IDD issues( he did when small bang his head rock back and forth,have meltdowns per se).
When she was that age, she was in the back of a shop and ignored most days. They would have them come out and play, when the customers were gone but if they were busy or there was customers, I and Ab spent their time in a small room with a bed and tv. Those ages are so critical to get early intervention started and sadly, it shows how A&P didn’t understand Autism anymore then, than they do now.... She would go to do daycare, where she was finally thrown out of because the demands to keep her safe were to high. Then she was placed in early intervention at their school, I believe they said at 4 years old but every day after the school bus dropped them off, it was back to the small room. Homework was done back their and I know Isaiah couldn’t even try doing Abbie’s homework with her and A&P were to busy... When she hit school, they were upset the school didn’t teach her everything she needed to know but that isn’t their job, when a child has a severe disability, nor do they do that with NT students...
I believe they could teach her more but it would mean A&P and the whole family learning it and constantly teaching and using it around Abbie, which we all know won’t happen.. Consistent isn’t their even weakest suit...

• Heart
Reactions: 13
IMO I honestly believe that if ASA(as much as i dislike him) was not in the picture, that Abbie would have been living in a group home. Priscilla has no control over her at all. As she gets older Asa is not going to be able to control her either. EXAMPLE I will just jump in the pool because i want to. I will grab some random person in public, i will grab food whenever or wherever I please. You can only call it mischief for so long.

• Heart
That brings up an excellent point.
In order for Abbie to advance in sign language, they would have to learn it as well and use it with her. I never see them actually using sign, only responding to what she signs. I wonder if she finds this confusing and would benefit more if they signed (while speaking) along with her/learned it to use in conversation at home to help her learn more??

Pfft, probably wouldn't work well for "the vlog" :cautious:.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
That brings up an excellent point.
In order for Abbie to advance in sign language, they would have to learn it as well and use it with her. I never see them actually using sign, only responding to what she signs. I wonder if she finds this confusing and would benefit more if they signed (while speaking) along with her/learned it to use in conversation at home to help her learn more??

Pfft, probably wouldn't work well for "the vlog" :cautious:.
Personally, I don't think they are intelligent enough to learn ASL or any more modified SL.
Add in their laziness and the result is Abbie today.
IMO

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
IMO I honestly believe that if ASA(as much as i dislike him) was not in the picture, that Abbie would have been living in a group home. Priscilla has no control over her at all. As she gets older Asa is not going to be able to control her either. EXAMPLE I will just jump in the pool because i want to. I will grab some random person in public, i will grab food whenever or wherever I please. You can only call it mischief for so long.
Exactly

Reactions: 8
Me quoting your posts and disagreeing with your stance is not censoring. We are all different people and do not always agree, things can still be discussed. I came across strong because I believe threatening CPS and saying a child needs to be removed from their parents and put in a group home is some serious tit right there. Not only that, CPS is over worked and understaffed, for anyone from a gossip site to call them is a waste of their time.

If you are on a gossip site to advocate anything I question why you are on this site. I am here to gossip. Abbie has a lot of professional people in her life, she is not sequestered in her parent's home. She has advocates, therapists, teachers, doctors, she does not need some stranger from a gossip site advocating for her. Just spreading the word to their silly assed fans, tellin' a joke or two, conversing with members, that's all I am here for.

*driving along in the slow lane giving the peace sign* ☮
We can agree to disagree. I think we all want the best for Abbie. ✌

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Someone here asked why P is so awkward around Abbie. I cacancacant find the post now. But I think it's a really complicated relationship. Abbie was supposed to be their (A&P) child to make everything right again after A's affair and 1st daughter. P hopes for her perfect child (even better it was a girl!) to take away her anger & hurt over the daughter out-of-wedlock. Abbie was gonna be better, cuter, smarter. Everything a mother could dream of.
But the diagnosis. It ruined everything and I think in a way P blames Abbie and Asa. She might feel this is A's "payback" so to speak. And she feels it's so wrong for her to be saddled with her seriously disabled child. She harbors resentment that there is another daughter out there with no disabilities. I think because of this she is unable to feel true attachment to Abbie. I dont know if underneath it all she actually loves Abbie or not, but she doesnt LIKE her. And that's a big difference.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Just came across this on youtube. Look how much happier and alert she was!
Abbie really loved Surfers for Autism. It is so good to see her enjoying something. I hope that they will find more things that she enjoys.

Sadly, did anyone catch Prisilly at 2:11, someone hands Abbie to her and she gets a panic look on her face and looks around like she needed backup. The surfer kids seemed to be handling Abbie just fine however. Was it just me or is it safe to assume that Prisilly's disconnect from Abbie started long ago??

• Heart
Reactions: 14
When she was that age, she was in the back of a shop and ignored most days. They would have them come out and play, when the customers were gone but if they were busy or there was customers, I and Ab spent their time in a small room with a bed and tv. Those ages are so critical to get early intervention started and sadly, it shows how A&P didn’t understand Autism anymore then, than they do now.... She would go to do daycare, where she was finally thrown out of because the demands to keep her safe were to high. Then she was placed in early intervention at their school, I believe they said at 4 years old but every day after the school bus dropped them off, it was back to the small room. Homework was done back their and I know Isaiah couldn’t even try doing Abbie’s homework with her and A&P were to busy... When she hit school, they were upset the school didn’t teach her everything she needed to know but that isn’t their job, when a child has a severe disability, nor do they do that with NT students...
I believe they could teach her more but it would mean A&P and the whole family learning it and constantly teaching and using it around Abbie, which we all know won’t happen.. Consistent isn’t their even weakest suit...
I agree..but here’s the thing..many parents do not know about autism until it hits home w them. It is then up to them to find out as much as possible and to do all they can to help said child. I call LAZY on their part. They have blamed everyone else for Abbies non progression except for themselves.

I have seen many parents who have taken on the responsibility to not only educate themselves,but fully immerse themselves into doing all they can w any tool available. Many do this on their own as services are hard to come by.

These 2 should crown themselves as the King/Queen of Excuses.

• Heart
Abbie really loved Surfers for Autism. It is so good to see her enjoying something. I hope that they will find more things that she enjoys.

Sadly, did anyone catch Prisilly at 2:11, someone hands Abbie to her and she gets a panic look on her face and looks around like she needed backup. The surfer kids seemed to be handling Abbie just fine however. Was it just me or is it safe to assume that Prisilly's disconnect from Abbie started long ago??
Omg..

Look at Abby! She was so much better then. Is her current state really because of how little A&P have done with her or just what happened naturally as she got older?

I'm crying at the difference. There was hope. Now I dont see hope.

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.