Fallen out with neighbours

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Looking for some advice or someone to say something that will stop me dwelling on this. It’s getting us down to the point that we don’t see any option other than to move.

we moved into our house 7 years ago and bought an absolute wreck - the house had been lived in by an old lady who for the last few years she lived here was restricted to living downstairs. We have had to completely renovate and have also built an extension - all done above board. Neighbours we are not attached to opposed our planning permission but it went through as they had no valid grounds to oppose - ironically we have built exactly what they did 10 years previous. We advised that we were planning on doing work a year before it started and they were very nice at the time saying that they understood we needed space for our growing family, I told them an architect was coming to do some drawings and said that we would endeavour to keep it as stress free for them as possible. I could write pages and pages about the problems they caused during the build (at one point she phoned my employer and made up a false complaint about me) but at all stages we tried to rise above it, explain our situation calmly and clearly and consulted them when appropriate until they became too controlling for this to be possible. I was heavily pregnant at the time and them threatening injunctions etc was very upsetting and stressful. The neighbours the other side have always kept themselves to themselves, failed to engage in the party wall process at all and just pretend like we don’t exist. Sent a nice bottle of wine and chocolates over at the end of the work to say sorry for any disruption and it wasn’t even acknowledged.

Being ignored has been getting us down- especially at the end of 12 weeks of limited social contact with anyone so my husband and I discussed that we would adopt a ‘kill them with kindness approach’ continue to wave and say good morning etc. My husband has said hello this morning and was completely ignored.... it’s really getting me down - it upsets me that people have such strong negative feelings towards us but we don’t know why/ can’t do anything to try and explain our position.
We have two children and friends round occasionally but always try to be mindful of the neighbours and are as considerate as we can be - I ensure that the children don’t shout and scream in the garden and despite I am sure making a few naive errors (doing DIY on a weekend etc when we first moved in) have always tried to be as good neighbours as possible. Our adjoining neighbours have had a tough few years so I suspect that things that are in the grand scheme of things low level annoying to most, have perhaps been more irritating to them 🤷🏻‍♀️ However our feeling is that we can’t let other people dictate how we live our lives, especially when we always endeavour to not upset people.

We are so upset by it we really see no option but to move, but I am not sure it’s the best decision for us at the moment. I wondered if anyone had some advice that could help us to get a thicker skin and learn to live with it. It just feels like such a toxic situation to be living through.
We also had problems with our neighbours !!!! We also had a extension, both sides signed no problem.. we were always polite and I would always send Christmas cards and go out of my way to speak to people down the street. My teenagers made friends with the neighbours children and they would make cakes, go out into town, cinema and have sleep overs .... then they grew apart because they went to college and made different friends. My children still spoke via text. Then the whole family stopped speaking to us !!!! They see us and don’t make any eye contact !!!!! In fact I’ve seen one of them in the supermarket and they will turn around and walk away !!!!!
Then one day we were doing DIY and my neighbour on one side of us knocked and told us to stop !!!! I laughed thinking he was joking !!!! He came right up to my face and said !!!!!! Can you not do DIY at a reasonable hour !!!! It was 5pm and we were putting up a shelf !!!!! Which I would of understood if it was maybe 10pm.... I’ve never spoken to him since !!! He did apologise but to me it’s to late you don’t treat people like that....I use to be the same with the kids making noise telling them to stop shouting and be quiet ..... I don’t anymore.... I’ve lost all respect for the neighbour who shouted at me....and yes maybe I am selfish.... but there neighbours!!!!!
I was like you wanting to move but what happens if you move and you have the same thing... there just neighbours at the end of the day not friends !!!!! Also every Thursday when we clap for Carers those neighbours don’t come out and clap !!!!!! I’d rather keep my distance from those sort of people !!!!!! In our old area our neighborhood was great.... so just to show it’s not us and it’s not all people 👍🏻

Reactions: 1
Don't let this get you down. I live in a flat with someone above and below and I dislike them both.
The one upstairs got petty because I use to ignore him but (not saying this is you) there was something about him which was off and I was right, the guy has literally stalked me for 5 years. It's a long story but I'm very taken back by talking to any neighbours due to what I been through

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Unfortunately you’re inbetween 2 sets of very petty people. I used to think adults grew out of this sort of behaviour when they leave school - but the older I’ve got I’ve realised some adults are incredibly immature and will take an instant disliking to you for pathetic reasons. You’ve done nothing wrong, you sound more considerate than most neighbours. Try to ignore them if you can but if it’s too much you could consider moving if that was part of your long term plans anyway?
It’s honestly stories like this that make me terrified to buy a house. I’m quite socially anxious and don’t know how I’d cope if I ended up living in a really nosy and bitchy community.

Reactions: 7
So I don't know if this is the right post so I moved in to my flat 2 years ago in may my neighbour above me his wife had just died and I'm going to be real he's really not a nice person since IV moved in he has blared his TV all hours and cleans on his hands and knees at 2am and screams and shouts and I hear every conversation he has I could be in my living room he's in the bedroom and I can stiill here every word he says anyways the council and the mp is involved and they have told me to stay where I am but so lockdown came we already had him kicking in doors buzzing non stop for 3 hours he tried my neighbour
door she apparently called the police but now I don't think she did but he went out in the street with his housing coat on and socks screaming help me help me all because he lost his phone in his bed and couldn't be bothered to look for it he managed to get 3 males in to his flat to look for this phone . 2 weeks later the same carryon but he had put his phone down the toilet and was going nuts because I couldn't sort it in both times my neighbour who has been best mate with him never came out and she was at home as she was phoning me and texting me we both phone social workers because of other worries and now my neighbour is like his best pal because i called her out for been 2 faced him at her door like nearly in the door and she's called police and social and there acting like best pals anyways my mental health has went down the drain and all I can hear him on the phone crying like I don't know what to do he woke me up this week at 2 am screaming and crying and i phoned social workers then and nothing has been done I'm left with it also think my other neighbour is like trtikf to make it worse

Sorry for my rant and how bad my punctuation is

I am sorry for everyome having problems but in a way its good to know om not the one. I have had problems with my neighbours for 8 years. They are horrid people that like to intimate people. The man offered my husband a fight as he thought The music which was pepper pig for my boy was to loud. They rang the police when i had family around numerous times saying we were talking to loud. They have now got cctv out the back facing into r garden. They have 3 grown men and a grown woman living there and I have 2 kids that play out the back. I have no privacy they have done to be spiteful as there is no way of gettimg into r back garden no need for the camera I question why they want to see into my back garden. But I try ignore them now as we found by other neighbours 4 people have moved because they have bullied them. There son was in the same year as myself and my husband we r 33 now and he is extremely odd both her sons r unfortunately. So all my love to anyone who is having problems with their neighbours I know how mentally draining it is. Xxx

Reactions: 5
I am having problems with my neighbours too and just reading some of these stories make me feel like my own issues are so tiny!

There is a cat that already has an owner (is very much loved) but the two below us have been feeding him every morning and evening before and after they go to work to the point that this cat now meows at stupid times of the morning as he knows he will be a due a free and sits on the cars in the car park from their encouragement. We recently bought a very expensive brand new sports car and have politely mentioned that scratch marks were found on the paint from when the cat jumps up on it and my soft top roof is covered in cat hair. We had tried car covers but he uses it as a scratch post and it got ruined. We now have to park away from our home in a cat free zone which is less secure and we don’t feel is very fair.

We asked them politely not to feed him due to the noise and him pestering people for food and the fact he already has an owner but they have carried on doing it and are now deliberately hiding cat food behind their backs when they see us and are still feeding him and calling out for him during the day.

She mentioned to me that my washing machine was a loud at times which I never realised and I stopped doing my washing by 3pm to keep her happy but it’s so frustrating that the same respect isn’t being given in return to us. I have heard her screaming at the man next door to her (not entirely sure what the nature of their relationship is) but again I’ve turned a blind eye to it.

Very frustrating when people can’t see the issues in their own actions but are more than happy to complain when others don’t abide by their rules. It does now make me feel anxious living here as the atmosphere is awkward and uncomfortable which is a shame as I worked so hard to buy it !

Reactions: 3
I am having problems with my neighbours too and just reading some of these stories make me feel like my own issues are so tiny!

There is a cat that already has an owner (is very much loved) but the two below us have been feeding him every morning and evening before and after they go to work to the point that this cat now meows at stupid times of the morning as he knows he will be a due a free and sits on the cars in the car park from their encouragement. We recently bought a very expensive brand new sports car and have politely mentioned that scratch marks were found on the paint from when the cat jumps up on it and my soft top roof is covered in cat hair. We had tried car covers but he uses it as a scratch post and it got ruined. We now have to park away from our home in a cat free zone which is less secure and we don’t feel is very fair.

We asked them politely not to feed him due to the noise and him pestering people for food and the fact he already has an owner but they have carried on doing it and are now deliberately hiding cat food behind their backs when they see us and are still feeding him and calling out for him during the day.

She mentioned to me that my washing machine was a loud at times which I never realised and I stopped doing my washing by 3pm to keep her happy but it’s so frustrating that the same respect isn’t being given in return to us. I have heard her screaming at the man next door to her (not entirely sure what the nature of their relationship is) but again I’ve turned a blind eye to it.

Very frustrating when people can’t see the issues in their own actions but are more than happy to complain when others don’t abide by their rules. It does now make me feel anxious living here as the atmosphere is awkward and uncomfortable which is a shame as I worked so hard to buy it !
I stopped doing everything because my neighbour was banging down and then my housing officer told me do you washing after 3 actually you can do it till 10 at night since all my problems with my neighbour IV found out alot

I am sorry for everyome having problems but in a way its good to know om not the one. I have had problems with my neighbours for 8 years. They are horrid people that like to intimate people. The man offered my husband a fight as he thought The music which was pepper pig for my boy was to loud. They rang the police when i had family around numerous times saying we were talking to loud. They have now got cctv out the back facing into r garden. They have 3 grown men and a grown woman living there and I have 2 kids that play out the back. I have no privacy they have done to be spiteful as there is no way of gettimg into r back garden no need for the camera I question why they want to see into my back garden. But I try ignore them now as we found by other neighbours 4 people have moved because they have bullied them. There son was in the same year as myself and my husband we r 33 now and he is extremely odd both her sons r unfortunately. So all my love to anyone who is having problems with their neighbours I know how mentally draining it is. Xxx
Phone the police about the camera and they should have a sign honestly I won't be putting up with this much long but I would be calling police about that camera as it's not allowed to look on to others property

This thread makes me feel better about my own issues with my neighbours. It’s horrible to not feel like you can relax in your own home or get anxious about going out in case you bump into one you don’t want to. 💗

I moved house because of hole neighbours.

The guy joined to us had 2 dogs he left for upto 12 hours a day and they barked constantly for those 12 hours.

Numerous conversations with him and nothing done. SSPCA wouldn’t do anything as the dogs had shelter and water and they weren’t left overnight. Council wouldn’t do anything cause he owned his house.

Caused my partner to have major anxiety attacks and he had to go and stay with his parents for a while. People might think it’s ridiculous and it’s just barking dogs. Try living next door to it for 6 months.

Other neighbours mother (who didn’t live there may I add) was verbally abusive to landscape gardeners we had in doing our garden whilst we were at work. She was still there when I came home and I seen her spraying weed killer over the fence at the workers, so I phoned the police but nothing was ever done.

I could deal with ignoring the neighbours but there was no way to escape those bloody dogs.

I now have absolutely lovely neighbours on either side, and no dogs!!

Reactions: 4
Looking for some advice or someone to say something that will stop me dwelling on this. It’s getting us down to the point that we don’t see any option other than to move.

we moved into our house 7 years ago and bought an absolute wreck - the house had been lived in by an old lady who for the last few years she lived here was restricted to living downstairs. We have had to completely renovate and have also built an extension - all done above board. Neighbours we are not attached to opposed our planning permission but it went through as they had no valid grounds to oppose - ironically we have built exactly what they did 10 years previous. We advised that we were planning on doing work a year before it started and they were very nice at the time saying that they understood we needed space for our growing family, I told them an architect was coming to do some drawings and said that we would endeavour to keep it as stress free for them as possible. I could write pages and pages about the problems they caused during the build (at one point she phoned my employer and made up a false complaint about me) but at all stages we tried to rise above it, explain our situation calmly and clearly and consulted them when appropriate until they became too controlling for this to be possible. I was heavily pregnant at the time and them threatening injunctions etc was very upsetting and stressful. The neighbours the other side have always kept themselves to themselves, failed to engage in the party wall process at all and just pretend like we don’t exist. Sent a nice bottle of wine and chocolates over at the end of the work to say sorry for any disruption and it wasn’t even acknowledged.

Being ignored has been getting us down- especially at the end of 12 weeks of limited social contact with anyone so my husband and I discussed that we would adopt a ‘kill them with kindness approach’ continue to wave and say good morning etc. My husband has said hello this morning and was completely ignored.... it’s really getting me down - it upsets me that people have such strong negative feelings towards us but we don’t know why/ can’t do anything to try and explain our position.
We have two children and friends round occasionally but always try to be mindful of the neighbours and are as considerate as we can be - I ensure that the children don’t shout and scream in the garden and despite I am sure making a few naive errors (doing DIY on a weekend etc when we first moved in) have always tried to be as good neighbours as possible. Our adjoining neighbours have had a tough few years so I suspect that things that are in the grand scheme of things low level annoying to most, have perhaps been more irritating to them 🤷🏻‍♀️ However our feeling is that we can’t let other people dictate how we live our lives, especially when we always endeavour to not upset people.

We are so upset by it we really see no option but to move, but I am not sure it’s the best decision for us at the moment. I wondered if anyone had some advice that could help us to get a thicker skin and learn to live with it. It just feels like such a toxic situation to be living through.
Crumbs this is like reading our current situation, so much so I wondered if your post was older than it was and related to my neighbours before we moved onto this new estate.
I’m so sorry you were in such a pickle but hope things have much improved now a year on? Have you managed to feel less anxious? I’m in a right knot at the moment unable to sleep because of it and the fact I’m getting so stressed is making me cross with myself!

• Heart
Crumbs this is like reading our current situation, so much so I wondered if your post was older than it was and related to my neighbours before we moved onto this new estate.
I’m so sorry you were in such a pickle but hope things have much improved now a year on? Have you managed to feel less anxious? I’m in a right knot at the moment unable to sleep because of it and the fact I’m getting so stressed is making me cross with myself!

Hiya! Try not to stress about it! We are now 2 years down the line and about to start a lost conversion in the new year (they don’t know this yet!!). The anxiety etc has hugely lessened - I just don’t care anymore! The situation is much less tense and whilst we do all tend to ignore each other, my husband has commented that the woman next door has been ‘warm’ when he has handed over parcels wrongly delivered to us for them etc. the advise I would give is stay cool as a cucumber and reasonable. This worked for us as now 2 years on, we have no embarrassment and feel like we can rise above it. If I were my neighbours I would be mortified! Just stay classy!

Our neighbour came round fuming I thought he was going to have a heart attack. We’re newish to the road and currently having a wrap around extension. Upto now he’s been ok but he’s furious we’re going for a different tile on the roof we’re semi detached and have tried to stay sympathetic with style but the colour grey he’s disgusted with, he’s rang the council to complain.I haven’t slept it’s upset me so much, our other neighbours have said we should have just told him to F off

• Sad
  • Heart
Our neighbour came round fuming I thought he was going to have a heart attack. We’re newish to the road and currently having a wrap around extension. Upto now he’s been ok but he’s furious we’re going for a different tile on the roof we’re semi detached and have tried to stay sympathetic with style but the colour grey he’s disgusted with, he’s rang the council to complain.I haven’t slept it’s upset me so much, our other neighbours have said we should have just told him to F off
Sounds like a silly man with too much time on his hands, taking his annoyance at something else out on you! Let the council do their thing and be sure to look him in the eye when you see him, even if you’re shaking inside.

• Heart
As long as you are following approved planning, he can't object to anything x

Reactions: 2
Stopped a year ago. To be honest I just think I need to grow a thicker skin. I get quite socially anxious and so overthink even simple social interactions so this is a nightmare situation for me because I hugely overthink what we have done to upset people and then invariably get angry when I come to the same conclusion that we really haven’t done anything wrong 🤷🏻‍♀️ I wish there was an easier way to grow a thicker skin!
Well I wish you lived near us we'd welcome a friendly neighbour we have 2 kids with asd who don't like to go out much so spend alot of time at home we also live near some weird people speak one day and not the next 🤨with not having family either we would love some community spirit although cant see that happening where we live 🤷‍♀️think them days are over its not like it was years ago plus I always think people who are super ignorant to the point of not saying hi are probably hiding alot 🤭don't take it personally its hard not to I know 😔 ignore them back and rise above it your too good for them by the sounds of it 👍❤

• Heart
I’ve written on here before about nightmare neighbours who made us ill. Anyway thankfully we managed to move to a new place, quite swanky and guess what?! Nightmare neighbours! They are professionals with their own businesses, in their late 50s, but they party hard. It’s 3.30am now and they are blasting music and banging about.
Are we just really boring?! Or are we just unlucky to have moved next to nightmares again? I’m 30 years younger than them and starting to think everyone’s partying except us?!

• Sad
Maybe go around with a bottle for a chat..Don’t be like me and stay somewhere and have to pay 75k this week for a house you hate because of neighbours MOVE

Maybe go around with a bottle for a chat..Don’t be like me and stay somewhere and have to pay 75k this week for a house you hate because of neighbours MOVE
Thanks, after my experience of nicely approaching my last neighbours I’m fearful! I have PTSD and they were family that have tried to ruin our lives and we had to sell.
Are other people partying though? Am I boring?!