Fallen out with neighbours

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Looking for some advice or someone to say something that will stop me dwelling on this. It’s getting us down to the point that we don’t see any option other than to move.

we moved into our house 7 years ago and bought an absolute wreck - the house had been lived in by an old lady who for the last few years she lived here was restricted to living downstairs. We have had to completely renovate and have also built an extension - all done above board. Neighbours we are not attached to opposed our planning permission but it went through as they had no valid grounds to oppose - ironically we have built exactly what they did 10 years previous. We advised that we were planning on doing work a year before it started and they were very nice at the time saying that they understood we needed space for our growing family, I told them an architect was coming to do some drawings and said that we would endeavour to keep it as stress free for them as possible. I could write pages and pages about the problems they caused during the build (at one point she phoned my employer and made up a false complaint about me) but at all stages we tried to rise above it, explain our situation calmly and clearly and consulted them when appropriate until they became too controlling for this to be possible. I was heavily pregnant at the time and them threatening injunctions etc was very upsetting and stressful. The neighbours the other side have always kept themselves to themselves, failed to engage in the party wall process at all and just pretend like we don’t exist. Sent a nice bottle of wine and chocolates over at the end of the work to say sorry for any disruption and it wasn’t even acknowledged.

Being ignored has been getting us down- especially at the end of 12 weeks of limited social contact with anyone so my husband and I discussed that we would adopt a ‘kill them with kindness approach’ continue to wave and say good morning etc. My husband has said hello this morning and was completely ignored.... it’s really getting me down - it upsets me that people have such strong negative feelings towards us but we don’t know why/ can’t do anything to try and explain our position.
We have two children and friends round occasionally but always try to be mindful of the neighbours and are as considerate as we can be - I ensure that the children don’t shout and scream in the garden and despite I am sure making a few naive errors (doing DIY on a weekend etc when we first moved in) have always tried to be as good neighbours as possible. Our adjoining neighbours have had a tough few years so I suspect that things that are in the grand scheme of things low level annoying to most, have perhaps been more irritating to them 🤷🏻‍♀️ However our feeling is that we can’t let other people dictate how we live our lives, especially when we always endeavour to not upset people.

We are so upset by it we really see no option but to move, but I am not sure it’s the best decision for us at the moment. I wondered if anyone had some advice that could help us to get a thicker skin and learn to live with it. It just feels like such a toxic situation to be living through.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
If kill them with kindness isn’t working. Play them at their own game. Totally ignore them, has your building work stopped or do you still need to discuss stuff with them?

• Heart
Reactions: 21
If kill them with kindness isn’t working. Play them at their own game. Totally ignore them, has your building work stopped or do you still need to discuss stuff with them?
Stopped a year ago. To be honest I just think I need to grow a thicker skin. I get quite socially anxious and so overthink even simple social interactions so this is a nightmare situation for me because I hugely overthink what we have done to upset people and then invariably get angry when I come to the same conclusion that we really haven’t done anything wrong 🤷🏻‍♀️ I wish there was an easier way to grow a thicker skin!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I know how you feel. We had fairly friendly neighbours when we first moved in, then came the odd jokey comment about DIY noise when we started our renovations. We had a big job done and they were annoyed about the noise so I went round to apologise with chocolates etc. They don’t really talk to us now unless we’re leaving or entering our houses at the same time, and during lockdown when we’ve been in the garden a lot, it’s made things feel quite awkward.

Like you this is probably me feeling anxious and overthinking it, but it is a shame. Surely people can expect a bit of DIY when houses haven’t been touched for 15 years ish 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think some of it is jealousy and nosiness, our family member did the big job last year and three of our neighbours asked for a quote but none of them have maintained the exterior of their house for years or had anything done since. I think they asked purely to find out what we paid for it, which funnily enough was less than usual because we got mates rates 🤦🏻‍♀️ My next house will be detached and ritual I swear.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I know how you feel. We had fairly friendly neighbours when we first moved in, then came the odd jokey comment about DIY noise when we started our renovations. We had a big job done and they were annoyed about the noise so I went round to apologise with chocolates etc. They don’t really talk to us now unless we’re leaving or entering our houses at the same time, and during lockdown when we’ve been in the garden a lot, it’s made things feel quite awkward.

Like you this is probably me feeling anxious and overthinking it, but it is a shame. Surely people can expect a bit of DIY when houses haven’t been touched for 15 years ish 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think some of it is jealousy and nosiness, our family member did the big job last year and three of our neighbours asked for a quote but none of them have maintained the exterior of their house for years or had anything done since. I think they asked purely to find out what we paid for it, which funnily enough was less than usual because we got mates rates 🤦🏻‍♀️ My next house will be detached and ritual I swear.
This makes me feel so much better to know that we are not the only ones and also to rationalise that we need to stop racking our brains to understand what we have done wrong - it could just be jealousy 🤷🏻‍♀️ Who knows!

Reactions: 6
My beautiful neighbours reported me to social services after a row over replacing my front fence .... ruined a summer holiday for us. They are blatantly not adhering to social distancing with non household members then going out to clap for the NHS !! When we are in the garden the wife is constantly in the back bedroom curtain twitching. I could write a book at their disgusting behaviour. It used to upset me but I’ve realised they are the ones with the problem and are ignorant twats. I haven’t spoken to them in years other than to politely ask her to stop staring at my children. I wouldn’t piss on them if they were on fire!! The other side are normal nice people !!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
Ignore them! You can’t make people like you. As long as they aren’t now bothering you and the worst they are doing is ignoring you then just get on with life and enjoy your house. Plus if you move you could have even worse neighbours....

Do people really care that much about neighbours? I mean yes its nice if they are friendly and want to speak, but if not duck them I say (not literally) :giggle:

Reactions: 23
Looking for some advice or someone to say something that will stop me dwelling on this. It’s getting us down to the point that we don’t see any option other than to move.

we moved into our house 7 years ago and bought an absolute wreck - the house had been lived in by an old lady who for the last few years she lived here was restricted to living downstairs. We have had to completely renovate and have also built an extension - all done above board. Neighbours we are not attached to opposed our planning permission but it went through as they had no valid grounds to oppose - ironically we have built exactly what they did 10 years previous. We advised that we were planning on doing work a year before it started and they were very nice at the time saying that they understood we needed space for our growing family, I told them an architect was coming to do some drawings and said that we would endeavour to keep it as stress free for them as possible. I could write pages and pages about the problems they caused during the build (at one point she phoned my employer and made up a false complaint about me) but at all stages we tried to rise above it, explain our situation calmly and clearly and consulted them when appropriate until they became too controlling for this to be possible. I was heavily pregnant at the time and them threatening injunctions etc was very upsetting and stressful. The neighbours the other side have always kept themselves to themselves, failed to engage in the party wall process at all and just pretend like we don’t exist. Sent a nice bottle of wine and chocolates over at the end of the work to say sorry for any disruption and it wasn’t even acknowledged.

Being ignored has been getting us down- especially at the end of 12 weeks of limited social contact with anyone so my husband and I discussed that we would adopt a ‘kill them with kindness approach’ continue to wave and say good morning etc. My husband has said hello this morning and was completely ignored.... it’s really getting me down - it upsets me that people have such strong negative feelings towards us but we don’t know why/ can’t do anything to try and explain our position.
We have two children and friends round occasionally but always try to be mindful of the neighbours and are as considerate as we can be - I ensure that the children don’t shout and scream in the garden and despite I am sure making a few naive errors (doing DIY on a weekend etc when we first moved in) have always tried to be as good neighbours as possible. Our adjoining neighbours have had a tough few years so I suspect that things that are in the grand scheme of things low level annoying to most, have perhaps been more irritating to them 🤷🏻‍♀️ However our feeling is that we can’t let other people dictate how we live our lives, especially when we always endeavour to not upset people.

We are so upset by it we really see no option but to move, but I am not sure it’s the best decision for us at the moment. I wondered if anyone had some advice that could help us to get a thicker skin and learn to live with it. It just feels like such a toxic situation to be living through.
We have lived in our house 12 years our neighbours moved in a couple of years after us. We got along well, hello how are you, took in parcels etc. We were having an extension we are detached, they objected to our planning application and were refused and it went ahead. The wife, blocked access for deliveries with her car, was rude to myself and builders, it was super stressful now I'm just hi, at the most, I wont forget how she behaved but I wont move because of her and I would advise you to do the same. We had our garden landscaped it looks amazing during lockdown I have the byfolds open so she can see in! I think it's just jealousy. Enjoy your extension, some people and petty and jealous

Do people really care that much about neighbours? I mean yes its nice if they are friendly and want to speak, but if not duck them I say (not literally) :giggle:
🤣

• Wow
Reactions: 17
yeah, so I am getting to this point. I think things have changed and some people are just not wanting to be friendly anymore and keep themselves to themselves more. We certainly don’t want to have a beautiful friendship with either side but would rather not have a constant atmosphere - although if we were a bit more inclined to chuck it in the duck it bucket then perhaps the atmosphere would disappear, I think it comes from constantly being on edge!

Reactions: 5

This is so heartbreaking to read! Your home is your sanctuary, you have done everything above board, consulted throughout, been mindful and considerate. The bottom line is, you can’t please everyone! Do not let a bullying neighbour chase you out of your dream home, especially if now isn’t the time to move. If you move, they’ll just do the exact same to the next family. We don’t particularly get on with our neighbour and it bothers my partner more than I, I am more of the opinion of “C’est La Vie!”

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My beautiful neighbours reported me to social services after a row over replacing my front fence .... ruined a summer holiday for us. They are blatantly not adhering to social distancing with non household members then going out to clap for the NHS !! When we are in the garden the wife is constantly in the back bedroom curtain twitching. I could write a book at their disgusting behaviour. It used to upset me but I’ve realised they are the ones with the problem and are ignorant twats. I haven’t spoken to them in years other than to politely ask her to stop staring at my children. I wouldn’t piss on them if they were on fire!! The other side are normal nice people !!
I feel for you on this one - my neighbour shouted that I neglect my children - leave them inside crying whilst I smoke drugs in the garden. All untrue but I think she just said the thing that would upset me the most - mustn’t let it upset me but it’s easier said than done!

Reactions: 3
yeah, so I am getting to this point. I think things have changed and some people are just not wanting to be friendly anymore and keep themselves to themselves more. We certainly don’t want to have a beautiful friendship with either side but would rather not have a constant atmosphere - although if we were a bit more inclined to chuck it in the duck it bucket then perhaps the atmosphere would disappear, I think it comes from constantly being on edge!
How often do you see your neighbours though? its not worth getting down over it . You clearly havent done anything wrong so if they are such twats to behave like that they arnt worth talking to anyway.

Reactions: 4
How often do you see your neighbours though? its not worth getting down over it . You clearly havent done anything wrong so if they are such twats to behave like that they arnt worth talking to anyway.
Rarely I suppose.
Am trying to Be mindful that the situation. Is heightened currently as everyone spending more time than usual in gardens and I feel constantly on edge when out the back with the kids and feel like I am being judged (one side accused me of neglecting my children) or by making too much noise and making either of them hate us more. I totally appreciate this is ridiculous as if they feel so strongly about us then the situation is unlikely to change!

Reactions: 2
Rarely I suppose.
Am trying to Be mindful that the situation. Is heightened currently as everyone spending more time than usual in gardens and I feel constantly on edge when out the back with the kids and feel like I am being judged (one side accused me of neglecting my children) or by making too much noise and making either of them hate us more. I totally appreciate this is ridiculous as if they feel so strongly about us then the situation is unlikely to change!
Theres one thing not speaking but its another thing accusing you of things you havent done. All kids make noise you cant stop a child from shouting etc my neighbours kid is always screaming and shouting but it doesn't bother me.

We have lived in our house 12 years our neighbours moved in a couple of years after us. We got along well, hello how are you, took in parcels etc. We were having an extension we are detached, they objected to our planning application and were refused and it went ahead. The wife, blocked access for deliveries with her car, was rude to myself and builders, it was super stressful now I'm just hi, at the most, I wont forget how she behaved but I wont move because of her and I would advise you to do the same. We had our garden landscaped it looks amazing during lockdown I have the byfolds open so she can see in! I think it's just jealousy. Enjoy your extension, some people and petty and jealous

🤣
Thank you for this - it’s genuinely helping to know that we aren’t the only people this has happened to and that in all likelihood we haven’t done anything heinous to upset people. One neighbour was very similar to the one you describe, making life exceptionally difficult for builders etc. Doesn’t help she is a compulsive liar. Also very aware that we could move and the same thing happen as it seems so much more widespread than I had ever realised!

Reactions: 1
You just have to ignore them and enjoy your home and your family.At the end of the day they are nothing to do with you.
We ignore one side who are very elderly pensioners, the old man started screaming and swearing at me when I was gardening/having a small garden fire twice.I think he has some type of dementia that they cover up. I had to get the PCSO's to talk to them in the end.Other problems were their family parking on my drive, its not a shared drive either, and the woman coming round all the time to talk about her families health problems for hours on an end. It was too much and I found them really overbearing.I'm not getting in that situation with neighbours again, its just going to be hi and bye.
The other side we don't see apart from when they are sunbathing naked in the back garden

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Thank you for this - it’s genuinely helping to know that we aren’t the only people this has happened to and that in all likelihood we haven’t done anything heinous to upset people. One neighbour was very similar to the one you describe, making life exceptionally difficult for builders etc. Doesn’t help she is a compulsive liar. Also very aware that we could move and the same thing happen as it seems so much more widespread than I had ever realised!
I took it personally, as you know having any kind of building work done is stressful, the mess expense etc. She made life very difficult, but she had in the past told me both her mother and sister have severe depression, I think her state of mind had alot to do with her reactions. I just enjoy my home, its improved our family life dramatically. Enjoy your home, I like previous quoters worry if neighbours like me or not, we get on really well with neighbours the other side. Enjoy yourself and your home, your neighbours sound miserable 😉

Reactions: 1
That sounds tough. I suffer from anxiety, particularly social anxiety too so I can totally relate and I’d probably be over thinking too. But I would do as others have said, and just ignore them the way they’re ignoring you, it sounds like you’ve been decent neighbours, no body can be perfect all the time and sometimes houses need work done to them so to get pissed at that is ridiculous. Pay them no more mind and enjoy your home.

Like other people have said, play them at their own game and ignore. Yes it’s nice to have a good rapport with the people living around you, but imo it’s not the end of the world. It isn’t like the olden days when your neighbours were your village unfortunately, most people just get on with their own business now without making it anybody else’s. I am polite to my neighbours, but it never extends past a brief chat in passing. My neighbours on my other side have never spoken a word to us.