Experiences with setraline

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes, that’s what I mean. I took it at night yesterday without water and I’m suffering. If I take it at night, I can’t really fall asleep. Not sure what to do again.
If this happens you should eat two apples. Strange advice but it works. As long as you take it I future with lots of water you will be fine.

Reactions: 1
For anyone who has had bruising as a side effect- are you able to continue taking it?

I have started getting huge bruises on my legs, I’m going to speak to my doctor (when I can eventually get through…). If it is likely to be the sertraline causing it, I don’t think I’m in a position for the time being to try and come off of it or try and change due to family stuff going on which is going to be difficult enough to navigate anyway.

• Wow
I bruise like a peach anyway, but when I first started taking Sertraline I woke up with a subconjunctival haemorrhage (burst blood vessel in my eye) which looked awful and had never happened to me before. Citalopram also made me bleed more if I cut myself so, I don't know if it's all SSRIs. It seems to have subsided with time though.

I've been on 50mg Sertraline since March and haven't noticed any side effects apart from the horrible night sweats for a while.

I was sweating like a pig at night for 12w on 50mg. I'm now on 100mg and only sweating a couple of times a week. Anyone else experienced reduction in sweating despite an increase?

I'm desperate for this to help with PTSD, OCD/anxiety etc. I feel completely joyless. I don't look like me in the eyes anymore. Please let this medicine work.

Sending love to all.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I was sweating like a pig at night for 12w on 50mg. I'm now on 100mg and only sweating a couple of times a week. Anyone else experienced reduction in sweating despite an increase?

I'm desperate for this to help with PTSD, OCD/anxiety etc. I feel completely joyless. I don't look like me in the eyes anymore. Please let this medicine work.

Sending love to all.
If sertaline doesn’t work for you (give it 3-6 months) then speak to GP about trying another. I may be wrong but I think sertraline is a pretty generic anti depressant that most GPS prescribe first for Patients… I’ve heard good things about citalopram.

you deserve to feel joy and to feel like you again, maybe sertraline isn’t the right meds for you. Hang in there

I'm currently going without, just with doctors/pharmacies hours over christmas/new year...not intentional just me not getting them picked up on time. So unwell with flu like symptoms, feel dreadful!!!!!! Honestly stick with it give it a chance people. And if its not right for you it's not the only anti depressant out there. 💕

If sertaline doesn’t work for you (give it 3-6 months) then speak to GP about trying another. I may be wrong but I think sertraline is a pretty generic anti depressant that most GPS prescribe first for Patients… I’ve heard good things about citalopram.

you deserve to feel joy and to feel like you again, maybe sertraline isn’t the right meds for you. Hang in there
Hey. I've been on citalopram before and it didn't help.

Sadly I'm having to wean off Sertraline because after my last dose increase I've experienced horrendous tremors and akathisia. Doc is keen to try me on something else. I've been on a dozen meds in the last 20 years - escitalopram worked for 7 years to a reasonable degree.

I wish you all the best with this medicine. Here's hoping I can find "the one" and get some peace at last

🧡🤞🏻

I'm currently going without, just with doctors/pharmacies hours over christmas/new year...not intentional just me not getting them picked up on time. So unwell with flu like symptoms, feel dreadful!!!!!! Honestly stick with it give it a chance people. And if its not right for you it's not the only anti depressant out there. 💕
sounds horrible! Can you call 111 and explain and see if an out of hours doctor can prescribe you some? I’ve always been told never to stop taking them abruptly :(

Hey. I've been on citalopram before and it didn't help.

Sadly I'm having to wean off Sertraline because after my last dose increase I've experienced horrendous tremors and akathisia. Doc is keen to try me on something else. I've been on a dozen meds in the last 20 years - escitalopram worked for 7 years to a reasonable degree.

I wish you all the best with this medicine. Here's hoping I can find "the one" and get some peace at last

🧡🤞🏻
Oh yes that’s what I meant escitalopram (I always thought it was spelt ‘S citalopram’ but now I’ve seen you write it down I realise they’re different)

sounds like your doctor is on it though, hope you find something 💓

sounds horrible! Can you call 111 and explain and see if an out of hours doctor can prescribe you some? I’ve always been told never to stop taking them abruptly :(

Oh yes that’s what I meant escitalopram (I always thought it was spelt ‘S citalopram’ but now I’ve seen you write it down I realise they’re different)

sounds like your doctor is on it though, hope you find something 💓
Tried everything before (inc panic!) and nobody could help me. Annoying but I'm trying not to worry too much, I'll have them tomorrow 🤞

I’ve been on 50mg for about 3 months now, for anxiety. I do feel better but I noticed I’m very irritable and I’m exhausted. The night sweats have gone but I feel so angry and tired that it’s having an effect on my relationship and my work. I don’t know if it’s these or something else. Tried to speak to my doctor but so far no joy.

• Sad
I’ve been on sertraline for 7 years. Before this I used to really suffer with my mental health and needed hospital admissions sometimes. My mental health difficulties are linked to my autism and severe anxiety.

All I can say is that it makes the difference between being able to function and not being able to function. When I started it, the side effects were feeling very tired and feeling a bit sick but these wore off quickly and I felt better much more quickly than the doctor suggested.

I don’t know why there is such a stigma around SSRI medication. It doesn’t have any long term side effects for most people, especially sertraline.

Edited to add: obviously everyone is different and what works for one person won’t necessarily for another.

Reactions: 5
I’ve been on 50mg for about 3 months now, for anxiety. I do feel better but I noticed I’m very irritable and I’m exhausted. The night sweats have gone but I feel so angry and tired that it’s having an effect on my relationship and my work. I don’t know if it’s these or something else. Tried to speak to my doctor but so far no joy.
Have you tried taking it at different times of the day? I had overwhelming tiredness at first but I’m now six months in and it’s all levelled out

Have you tried taking it at different times of the day? I had overwhelming tiredness at first but I’m now six months in and it’s all levelled out
I started off taking it in the morning but I couldn't sleep so now I take it at night. I just feel like a complete zombie.

I started off taking it in the morning but I couldn't sleep so now I take it at night. I just feel like a complete zombie.
I had the same experience when I took it in the morning, however now I take it in the evening & instead I wake up in the middle of the night & can be wide awake for anything from an hour to a few hours.
I don’t understand how it makes me tired during the day but gives me insomnia at night when I actually need to sleep 🥺

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Sertraline used to give me terrible insomnia. I used to sleep for about 2 hours then just be awake the whole night

• Sad
I've been on Sertraline since last March and have suddenly developed insomnia... Last night I slept from 10.30pm til midnight and then was awake for hours, the day before I was nodding off at 5pm but then awake til after 4am. I don't understand why it makes me able to sleep at any time except night. I've never struggled to sleep before. When I do manage to sleep I have wild dreams.

The night sweats are also horrible and still going strong.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I had the same experience when I took it in the morning, however now I take it in the evening & instead I wake up in the middle of the night & can be wide awake for anything from an hour to a few hours.
I don’t understand how it makes me tired during the day but gives me insomnia at night when I actually need to sleep 🥺
Yeah I had this for the first four months. I’m on 50mg but dr prescribed me 25mg tablets so I could try taking one 25mg in morning and one 25mg in evening. It did make a difference (had to give it time). I’m not back to just taking both in the morning with no problems. He also suggested alternating days to split e.g Monday take 50mg in morning then Tuesday take 25mg in morning and again in evening, then Wednesday take 50mg in morning.

I barely have the tiredness anymore and the insomnia was awful just you like described but it’s gone now completely. I hope you

I've been on and off setraline for 10 years at 100mg. Luckily I haven't experienced any side effects buy when I do take it I feel quite numb. The anxiety / low mood goes but then I'm not my 'old' self either I'm just quite emotionless. There have definitely been times where a situation should have made me feel stressed (e.g. having done no work for a deadline) but I'm just neutal and don't care (when I'm taking them).

Reactions: 2