Experiences with setraline

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm coming down from 150mg to 100mg after I developed akathisia. No fun. Slow process to come off it fully as I was extremely unwell last year coming off clomipramine, even though I did it slowly. Then it'll be time for a new med.

Does anyone else sweat MORE the lower the dose is?

Reactions: 1
I'm coming down from 150mg to 100mg after I developed akathisia. No fun. Slow process to come off it fully as I was extremely unwell last year coming off clomipramine, even though I did it slowly. Then it'll be time for a new med.

Does anyone else sweat MORE the lower the dose is?
I'm on 50mg and wake up drenched in the night. I'm not a sweaty person really either, just at night since I started Sertraline.

I feel tentatively OK at the moment (although I think this is circumstantial as much as anything) so I'm scared to change my dose although I feel very sluggish and lacking in motivation.

Reactions: 4
Yeah I had this for the first four months. I’m on 50mg but dr prescribed me 25mg tablets so I could try taking one 25mg in morning and one 25mg in evening. It did make a difference (had to give it time). I’m not back to just taking both in the morning with no problems. He also suggested alternating days to split e.g Monday take 50mg in morning then Tuesday take 25mg in morning and again in evening, then Wednesday take 50mg in morning.

I barely have the tiredness anymore and the insomnia was awful just you like described but it’s gone now completely. I hope you
That’s interesting hadn’t thought of that being an option.
I’ve been on 50mg for almost 5 months now.
I actually feel like I need my dosage increased so when I speak to my doctor about that i may ask her about splitting the dosage in half x

I was on it for about 18 months, after a sudden bereavement and work was horrendous. I was worried about side effects but aside from really vivid dreams, they didnt affect me too much when I started out on them. I didnt seem to benefit very much from them, and although I dont know what I expected, I now feel no different without them. The Doctor told me I was depressed, they gave me Sertraline and sent me on a stress management group 🤔 I hope they work for you- I know some people have really benefitted from antidepressants.
I came off them after speaking to ky GP - they just said reduce the dose but they didn't seem really sure 🤷‍♀️ Be warned tho - the 'brain zaps' when you come off them, I cant quite explain them, but they're wierd and a little unsettling, but apparently its completely normal. I also had the dizziness. Good luck 👍
Interesting this Im hoping to decrease my dosage tomorrow when my dr calls me as im having therapy for my anxiety, I do get very vivid dreams and have been getting headaches and earache where I feel dizzy, I hadnt thought it may be the tablets , I have had a lot of stressful situations happen since Christmas but seem more able to talk things through, I had a sudden hearing loss and had a hard time coming to terms with it as well as other situations

I'm on 50mg and wake up drenched in the night. I'm not a sweaty person really either, just at night since I started Sertraline.

I feel tentatively OK at the moment (although I think this is circumstantial as much as anything) so I'm scared to change my dose although I feel very sluggish and lacking in motivation.
Im the same but im menopausal and not only get sweats at night but at the most random times during the day its embarrassing, but its interesting you mention sertraline giving you this symptom as I never even linked it to this

That’s interesting hadn’t thought of that being an option.
I’ve been on 50mg for almost 5 months now.
I actually feel like I need my dosage increased so when I speak to my doctor about that i may ask her about splitting the dosage in half x
I still have insomnia on 150 mg but as I mention to another tattler im menopausal so it could be that , I was very itchy when I first went on 50 mg only for about a week though and got lots of spots around my mouth

For people who experienced things getting worse before they got better when they started Sertraline, how long did it take? I’ve been on them for 2.5 weeks and at first felt fine but the last few days I’ve felt brutally sad again and I don’t know if this means I need a higher dose, or if it’s normal and in another couple of weeks things should improve? My doctor implied that I might start to feel something after two weeks, but friends who’ve taken it said much longer than that in reality.

For people who experienced things getting worse before they got better when they started Sertraline, how long did it take? I’ve been on them for 2.5 weeks and at first felt fine but the last few days I’ve felt brutally sad again and I don’t know if this means I need a higher dose, or if it’s normal and in another couple of weeks things should improve? My doctor implied that I might start to feel something after two weeks, but friends who’ve taken it said much longer than that in reality.
About six weeks is standard for SSRIs I think, I noticed an improvement in about a month. I still definitely get sad but the "edge" went off the sadness around the month - six weeks mark.

About six weeks is standard for SSRIs I think, I noticed an improvement in about a month. I still definitely get sad but the "edge" went off the sadness around the month - six weeks mark.
Thank you for this! Appreciate the reply. Good to know. I’ll hang in there!

• Heart
Hey again! I remember you saying you were visiting the doctor in the depression thread around the same time as me - I see we’re both on the sertraline train now! 👀 I feel exactly the same as you right now 💜

I’m about three weeks in and feeling awful this weekend. It’s like the tablets have removed some of the physical signs of my anxiety like panic attacks, raising heart etc, but the intrusive thoughts and compulsions are all still there? Feel like a bit of a zombie. Really hoping things improve soon!

• Heart
Hi @aidil I just wrote a huge message to you then accidentally clicked an ad. Haha

Late summer I started on 50mg and stayed on that for 3 months. Unlike you I found the mental noise lessened but the physical side effects actual got worse temporarily. Racing heart upon waking and randomly through the day. I didn't want to increase my dose because I was being stubborn and stupid. I went up to 100mg and stayed on that for a month. It didn't change anything so I was upped to 150mg. On day 12 I began to experience tremors so my GP put me back to 100mg with a view to bringing me off the medicine altogether. It turns out the tremors are not related to Sertraline at all. I've been dealing with physical health issues, (it doesn't rain but it pours), and my rheumatologist is confident that tremors and muscle spasms are associated with that and not Sertraline.

I think I need to go up to 150mg again and give it longer now I know it wasn't what caused my tremors.

In my experience 3 weeks has never been long enough on any medicine I've taken to gauge if it will be "the one". (I've taken various medicines for mental illness since I was 15 and I'm now 35).

Best of luck to you 👍

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hey again! I remember you saying you were visiting the doctor in the depression thread around the same time as me - I see we’re both on the sertraline train now! 👀 I feel exactly the same as you right now 💜

I’m about three weeks in and feeling awful this weekend. It’s like the tablets have removed some of the physical signs of my anxiety like panic attacks, raising heart etc, but the intrusive thoughts and compulsions are all still there? Feel like a bit of a zombie. Really hoping things improve soon!
Aw, thank you for remembering! And sorry to hear you’re feeling similar. I’ve got a physio appointment shortly and after that I think I might go back to bed or at least sit on the sofa and not move. People did warn me I might feel worse before I feel better but for some reason I thought that would be straight away and not after a couple of weeks. It just scares me to think that maybe I’ll never feel better. I’m also heartbroken and hopeless after a breakup and being around my happy coupled up friends is unbearable and I can’t think about anything other than how lonely and tragic I am.

Thank you to whoever mentioned splitting their dose, I now no longer feel like a zombie 🙌🏻

Hi, I have just been prescribed setraline. I have been struggling with being tearful all the time and it is starting to affect my work and home life.

The dr thought it would be best to start me on 25mg daily and and up it gradually. Im worried about the side effects as I hate feeling groggy.

Hi, I have just been prescribed setraline. I have been struggling with being tearful all the time and it is starting to affect my work and home life.

The dr thought it would be best to start me on 25mg daily and and up it gradually. Im worried about the side effects as I hate feeling groggy.
You might be ok! I had a bit of sickness at first but they have been a miracle cure for me. I have stopped crying all the time, my concentration has improved and I just feel better. I hope they work for you!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
You might be ok! I had a bit of sickness at first but they have been a miracle cure for me. I have stopped crying all the time, my concentration has improved and I just feel better. I hope they work for you!
Thank you. He was going to prescribe propanolol but once I mentioned my social anxiety he quickly changed his mind to setraline.

Im so glad they are working for you 🙂

I felt groggy / spacey for about five days max, and that was on 50mg. So I’m crossing my fingers you don’t experience too much of it. Can honestly say I’ve barely noticed any side effects. Keep us posted and wish you all the best! Signed, a fellow tearful person ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I felt groggy / spacey for about five days max, and that was on 50mg. So I’m crossing my fingers you don’t experience too much of it. Can honestly say I’ve barely noticed any side effects. Keep us posted and wish you all the best! Signed, a fellow tearful person ❤
Oh thank you so much and I'm so glad that the grogginess didn't last for you. I got sent home from work this morning after bursting into tears and I thought that I really need to do something about this as it's really not professional x 😩

I hardly ever cry since starting Sertraline. Used to be a daily occurrence. It hasn't really occurred to me until reading this thread!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I take 200mg a day and have done for a long time!
I don't suffer too badly with side effects, I do feel very sleepy but adjusted over time.