Equestrian Influencers #25 Tina not happy with her lot & chases a Badminton House Photo

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I mean absolutely no disrespect to equine physios in what I'm about to say, but I do find it a bit concerning that people seem to be turning to them instead of vets. Meg said she's had the physio out to Bear twice but not the vet, and Lucy said she had the physio out to Ember when he started crabbing sideways the minute she got on. Where is the vet in all this? Is it just that physios are cheaper or what? I'm out of the horse world for a long time so if anyone has better insight on this I'd love to know your thoughts
I agree, so many people go to physios and if they don’t find anything, they assume they’re fine. I’d say it’s cost - it’s what £60 for a physio appointment whereas a vet appointment starts around £60 and can go into the 1000s so easily. Sometimes I think it’s a bit of an ignorance is bliss thing. The physio said their horse is fine so they don’t want to go down the route of investigations and find something they don’t like. But physios don’t have the tools or training vets have. They’re great for maintenance or rehab alongside veterinary help but they shouldn’t be used as a diagnostic tool. People have it completely the wrong way round - it should be vet refers to physio rather than physio refers to vet!! I know someone whose physio said their horse was completely sound; two days later, the vet said he was 1/10 lame!!

Reactions: 4
Agreed, and the tail swishing hasn't just been minimal, it's been persistent. Though I'd Imagine she'd argue that she was chasing the PSSM diagnosis as the reason for this.

In one of her stories (I think) yesterday, she'd said she had a few options from the vets, but she didn't like them and was chasing a more holistic route from advice of another vet, what do people think of this?
I do think starting with the least invasive option might be good and just seeing if it works. If it doesn’t move onto the next treatment option

Reactions: 2
I mean absolutely no disrespect to equine physios in what I'm about to say, but I do find it a bit concerning that people seem to be turning to them instead of vets. Meg said she's had the physio out to Bear twice but not the vet, and Lucy said she had the physio out to Ember when he started crabbing sideways the minute she got on. Where is the vet in all this? Is it just that physios are cheaper or what? I'm out of the horse world for a long time so if anyone has better insight on this I'd love to know your thoughts
There are physios and other practitioners who can do stuff that vets can’t and of course there are vets and vets.

'my' vet was a horse breeder, and they were on call for HOYs. I have been severely underwhelmed since he retired, and haven’t found a replacement. there are several lame horses at the yard and the vets are clueless.

Reactions: 1
Some of them are qualified vets and then go on to become physios. My dentist is a vet who is now just a practicing equine dentist.

Karla really showed her true colours in the tattle podcast. Her and her mate are allowed to slag people off and comment on their riding positions but nobody on here is!? You can’t say stuff like Ben Maher rides like he’s got a brush or whatever it is up his back or you’d buy Ellen Whittaker mirrors as you think she is vein then cry and moan on a podcast someone has made a comment about you.
Is the Gareth Huges one the beyond the stable? I used to listen to the horse and hound podcast but haven’t for a while as Spotify don’t automatically play it anymore and theres only so many hours in the day. Equiratings also have a podcast I think I may have listened to all mine seem to be true crime atm 😂

I don’t see a problem with a holistic route, but it has to be the correct route and help the mare.
when the vet route is a neurectomy I have to disagree with it. It’s only temporary and all is does is get rid of pain signals, the damage is still there and done. If a suspensory can’t be rehabbed that’s a candidate for euthanasia, not a patch job.

But her income isn’t competing and producing the horses, it’s basically advertising. I think she has more commitments to other things than she makes public. There will be a fair bit of behind the scenes stuff going on aswell.

Your last sentence is strange to me. Not everything with horses is about competing.
This. Technically I have three - my boy who is 25 and two that I Iook after for a friend and currently have the rides of and we rarely compete! I mostly hack and school and I still enjoy setting us goals and working on different things with them.

But her income isn’t competing and producing the horses, it’s basically advertising. I think she has more commitments to other things than she makes public. There will be a fair bit of behind the scenes stuff going on aswell.

Your last sentence is strange to me. Not everything with horses is about competing.
I agree with this last bit of comment, but in all fairness Meg hasn’t bought/bred her ponies to be sat in the field or happy hackers, she’s bought them to event competitively.
However in Megs defence as you’ve written above, I also want to add that she hasn’t rushed them, she’s spent a lot of time training BTS etc. A lot of her income is from vlogging her horses! Mega full time job is pretty much Working her horses and advertising.

Reactions: 1

I know it isn’t, but Meg has been all about competing which is why I find it odd that with three fit and capavle
Horses she’s done so little of it.

when the vet route is a neurectomy I have to disagree with it. It’s only temporary and all is does is get rid of pain signals, the damage is still there and done. If a suspensory can’t be rehabbed that’s a candidate for euthanasia, not a patch job.
I don't think there is anything wrong with a neurectomy in certain cases to buy a horse some years as a happy hacker and/or retirement.

See this all the time and I do think a lot of it can be down the owner not wanting to go down the vet route and finding out something is really wrong. It's cheaper to get the physio out, be told they're tight due to x,y,z and can carry on.

Whizzy welsh is the perfect example of this, she has read on here numerous times the mare needs a vet work up. Instead she's had a lot of physio visits says she's fine because the physio said so, the physio looked at her. I actually think deep down Hannah knew something was a miss with the mare but wanted to really believe the pony was fine so she could carry on riding, competing.

Reactions: 9
There was a video a while ago from whizzy Welsh where the physio had some electric pulses attached to the ponies rump and they joked saying she was twerking. The pony had her ears flat back, it looked awful.

Also some of these physios aren’t qualified or registered with the ACPAT, they’re just message therapists. The qualified physios require vet’s agreement before treatment if the horse is presented lame to them.

Reactions: 8
You guys guessed it right about Bear being used as click bait, 300 comments and she will release a video of Ellie jumping Bear. Was this before or after they decided to take things slowly with Bear?!

Reactions: 6
Also some of these physios aren’t qualified or registered with the ACPAT, they’re just message therapists. The qualified physios require vet’s agreement before treatment if the horse is presented lame to them.
Massage therapists belonging to accredited bodies have to follow this rule too. If the horse is presenting ill in any way a vet must allow treatments to go ahead.

Physios have their place, along with massage therapists. Although my personal opinion is if the horse is sound, with well fitting tack and a regular shoeing schedule they're not needed. I've never felt any of mine feel different or better after seeing the physio. That being said others do feel they make a difference and use regularly. I'd question if a horse needs regular physio to stay happy in work there is more going on and needs to see a vet.

Physios, massage therapists aren't trained to spot lameness, and subtleties that go along with that, poor performance issues, contact issues, the list goes on. And to be fair I don't see physios claiming to. The problem is with the owners putting physios/massage therapists on a similar level to a vet instead of using them for as a nice extra for the horse, part of treating the horse as a whole.

Reactions: 9
You guys guessed it right about Bear being used as click bait, 300 comments and she will release a video of Ellie jumping Bear. Was this before or after they decided to take things slowly with Bear?!
Yep! And the fact that Meg has fallen off Bear makes it even worse because she’s shown she’s pretty nervous of her now…. But still, get someone else to ride her so they can make content from it! Talk about using your highly anxious pony for someone else’s humour and money making!!

Reactions: 3
Ellie is an adult….
Ellie is also a competitive rider who has obligations to sponsors and the owners of her horses (aka Luncinda in some instances)

I assume terms of contract would involve not putting yourself in certain situations, as with professional sports people often not being allowed to Ski etc