Equestrian Influencers #14... #howNOTtobeanequestrian influencer

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Meg could use this as an opportunity for going back to basics and demonstrating that you don't need to bit up when your horse becomes stronger, it's disappointing to see that she's just going with more and more severe bits. Don't get me wrong, I am an advocate for using a stronger bit less as opposed to a 'weaker' bit more (which results in the rider hanging off the horses mouth), but to do that you need to be incredibly conscious of what you're doing with your hands which I don't thing Meg is when she panics. Unfortunately she's so intent on getting to event after event that I don't think she'd be willing to relinquish a win to take it right back and go from the beginning.

An educational series from her and her bitting partner on thoughtful bitting would be incredible for her young viewers. I don't think a lot of kids understand how unpleasant a single link snaffle actually can be for the horse despite it being the default option, and a straight bar with a port looks more severe but it's actually more anatomically correct (random example, I'm not advocating for everyone to switch from snaffles to straight bars). I dunno, I just think she could do something very unique with her partners and influence but instead she's going to bit up and up and up and go for the next win.

Reactions: 12
Can we please leave Chloe and Stephen off this thread now that she has her own. Some of us don't particularly feel comfortable reading these things constantly 🙈
I have asked people to not post anything to do with them in here and have created a thread.
If one person tries to say this is unnecessary, please read the most recent article about him. This is serious.

Reactions: 6
Meg could use this as an opportunity for going back to basics and demonstrating that you don't need to bit up when your horse becomes stronger, it's disappointing to see that she's just going with more and more severe bits. Don't get me wrong, I am an advocate for using a stronger bit less as opposed to a 'weaker' bit more (which results in the rider hanging off the horses mouth), but to do that you need to be incredibly conscious of what you're doing with your hands which I don't thing Meg is when she panics. Unfortunately she's so intent on getting to event after event that I don't think she'd be willing to relinquish a win to take it right back and go from the beginning.

An educational series from her and her bitting partner on thoughtful bitting would be incredible for her young viewers. I don't think a lot of kids understand how unpleasant a single link snaffle actually can be for the horse despite it being the default option, and a straight bar with a port looks more severe but it's actually more anatomically correct (random example, I'm not advocating for everyone to switch from snaffles to straight bars). I dunno, I just think she could do something very unique with her partners and influence but instead she's going to bit up and up and up and go for the next win.
I think bitting is all about finding the right bit rather than instantly going stronger or blaming it on a schooling issue and saying the horse needs to be better schooled as everything only needs a simple snaffle. Take London 52 for example, he ran out at pratoni as he was very exuberant and forward, so just imagine him going cross country in a snaffle, he could be running out more often or having an accident due to his forwardness. And absolutely no one can say he needs more schooling or Laura needs to take him out of the universal/wilkie and get back to a simple snaffle as she’s just a tit rider that doesn’t bother making sure her horse’s are well schooled. You first need to work out why the horse is strong and then go from there rather than going oh they are strong whack a stronger bit in.

Reactions: 3
Bitting is something I’d like to learn more about. I’ve managed to always have horses that go well in a basic eggbutt snaffle but my current horse is not so happy. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good online resource?

Reactions: 1
I think bitting is all about finding the right bit rather than instantly going stronger or blaming it on a schooling issue and saying the horse needs to be better schooled as everything only needs a simple snaffle. Take London 52 for example, he ran out at pratoni as he was very exuberant and forward, so just imagine him going cross country in a snaffle, he could be running out more often or having an accident due to his forwardness. And absolutely no one can say he needs more schooling or Laura needs to take him out of the universal/wilkie and get back to a simple snaffle as she’s just a tit rider that doesn’t bother making sure her horse’s are well schooled. You first need to work out why the horse is strong and then go from there rather than going oh they are strong whack a stronger bit in.
I could never ride my horse in a snaffle, he is well schooled but is a strong big bugger! I hate seeing people saying all horses should be able to be ridden in a snaffle. Not only that, I don't like the action of jointed snaffles at all.

Reactions: 3
I have asked people to not post anything to do with them in here and have created a thread.
If one person tries to say this is unnecessary, please read the most recent article about him. This is serious.
Not saying it isn't necessary for something to be done/spoken about, but the article you shared isn't recent it's dated January.

• Angry
Not saying it isn't necessary for something to be done/spoken about, but the article you shared isn't recent it's dated January.
Are you crazy?! He has reoffended AGAIN?! He was in court, he’s out on licence and he still didn’t learn and neither did she. They were at a stables like last week!
---
Are you crazy?! He has reoffended AGAIN?! He was in court, he’s out on licence and he still didn’t learn and neither did she. They were at a stables like last week!
He literally offended last year, got done and is now doing it again. Tell me how this is not recent?

Reactions: 4
---

He literally offended last year, got done and is now doing it again. Tell me how this is not recent?
I don’t really understand what you want people in this thread to do? Everyone’s now aware of the situation so what else are you trying to gain?

Reactions: 13
Christ, it's getting more tedious than reading about Meg. It is being handled by the relevant authorities so surely leave them to it? The livery has quite rightly booted her off. If a new investigation does open up, having stuff all over SM can put it in jeopardy.

Reactions: 9
The difference is, Laura Collett doesn’t use her hands to balance and doesn’t yank London in the gob all the time. A bit is only as strong as the hands. Remember when Meg yanked Dee in the gob forgetting she was in a strong bit and poor Dee almost went to a dead halt!

• Sad
Reactions: 7
---

I don't understand why you personally have to be so involved? The awareness has been raised, it'll be dealt with appropriately by the authorities (hopefully). Your comments on here aren't going to do jack tit other than fulfil your personal vendetta you seem to have with them 😅 The pair of them are sick in the head but at some point you need to leave it be.

Reactions: 7
Bitting is really interesting - I come from a driving and riding background so am an advocate for stronger bits when used correctly and in the right hands. I think if more people understood bit mechanics and horse anatomy the approach to bitting would be very different and the single jointed snaffle wouldn't be the default choice. If anyone is looking for bitting advice, find a local consultant - each horse is so unique that you need to learn first hand before drawing from online resources imo.

Reactions: 5
The difference is, Laura Collett doesn’t use her hands to balance and doesn’t yank London in the gob all the time. A bit is only as strong as the hands. Remember when Meg yanked Dee in the gob forgetting she was in a strong bit and poor Dee almost went to a dead halt!
She doesn’t balance on her reins over a fence either unlike Meg and thousands of other riders. To me this picture shows she uses her reins to balance and it’s really common to see. But you will always get some daft twit saying any horse that can’t do everything in a snaffle is badly schooled and the riders tit.

Attachments

Bitting is really interesting - I come from a driving and riding background so am an advocate for stronger bits when used correctly and in the right hands. I think if more people understood bit mechanics and horse anatomy the approach to bitting would be very different and the single jointed snaffle wouldn't be the default choice. If anyone is looking for bitting advice, find a local consultant - each horse is so unique that you need to learn first hand before drawing from online resources imo.
Finding a consultant in small town Australia isn’t the easiest task which is why I was hoping to do a bit of learning myself 😬 we don’t have access to the professionals as easily as it seems people do in the uk

Finding a consultant in small town Australia isn’t the easiest task which is why I was hoping to do a bit of learning myself 😬 we don’t have access to the professionals as easily as it seems people do in the uk

Claire is local to me in the UK and she has recently started doing some things online. She's helpful to chat to if you want resources!

Reactions: 2
It’s quite new in the uk. Before you’d have to research yourself and try 2000 bits before you got the correct one. If it was around when I was at college I think I would have trained to be a bit and bridle fitter/consultant

Meg never used to be like this as a rider though. She would always jump well with Bear, and back in the day with her other ponies she never had an issue really. I’m not sure why it is now, if it is a perfectionist thing or if she is more nervous these days. They take on these sponsors, not because they genuinely use them, but because they get freebies and there events paid for, which would be maybe half the reason she’s using expert bits? Same with the Wine thing she’s doing, I’m sure they paid for her travel for that vlog in order for her to promote the wine 😂
I find it hilarious and ridiculous.
not making excuses or defending her or anything but I’m thinking it may be the ‘getting older’ fear I know myself and so many others who didn’t care and would ride anything when younger now not so much. I know when I was younger I’d gallop around fields in wellies in whatever tack I found but now it’s safety stirrups body protector as I know I don’t bounce and can’t afford to be injured off work. So not sure if the over bitting/spurs/over control may be something Like that? 🤔 not saying it’s right to do just a theory!

It’s quite new in the uk. Before you’d have to research yourself and try 2000 bits before you got the correct one. If it was around when I was at college I think I would have trained to be a bit and bridle fitter/consultant
I’m at the trying 2000 bits stage 😅 Which is also very expensive because the tack shops around here won’t take returns if it’s been in a horses mouth

I’m at the trying 2000 bits stage 😅 Which is also very expensive because the tack shops around here won’t take returns if it’s been in a horses mouth
Really?! Perhaps once you've swotted up you need to be your area's local bitting consulant!!

not making excuses or defending her or anything but I’m thinking it may be the ‘getting older’ fear I know myself and so many others who didn’t care and would ride anything when younger now not so much. I know when I was younger I’d gallop around fields in wellies in whatever tack I found but now it’s safety stirrups body protector as I know I don’t bounce and can’t afford to be injured off work. So not sure if the over bitting/spurs/over control may be something Like that? 🤔 not saying it’s right to do just a theory!
Used to walk over to get pony in and then tie rope round neck to head collar, hop on bareback and canter back. No tack, no hat, nothing, loved it, wouldn’t dream of it now 😂😂😂😂😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.