Eoghan McDermott - Irish radio stars face social media allegations.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Public knowledge hasn't exploded yet. Not everyone is aware of the allegations etc.
If you Google his name there are questions about hm leaving rte etc, but nothing much more. It's only when you add in allegations, reddit or twitter it all opens up.
I'd imagine that until it becomes more of a headliner, he will keep quiet.

Reactions: 6
I can’t believe it! I know a lot of ppl don’t like him but I never minded him. Really the last thing I expected but I suppose you never know. Mad that it all started with a post on Reddit and this is all coming out

Reactions: 5
Thats your opinion. That girl felt it was right for her - you don't know why, she could have tried legally, she could have tried with the Gardai.

If it is, what you purport, just a social media post - why has Eoghan basically disappeared and RTE removed his name from everything?

This hasn't come out of the blue - you can see on twitter people were alluding to it for quite a few years.
The girl in question did go to the guards. They told her not to persue it because he would more than likely get off because of who he is and it would be even more traumatic for her. The current system was built on misogyny and is not fit for purpose. If it was victims wouldn't feel the need to expose predators in this way. Unfortunately this is the only way to hold these abusers accountable and prevent it happening to others. I fully understand why she did it this way. It was her only option.

Reactions: 26
Oh absolutely its my opinion, which I'm entitled to just as much as you are.

Maybe he has owned up to it and that's why rte have taken everything down or maybe due to the extent of the allegations its easier for them to wash their hands of him so their not seen to be supporting him.
All I was saying is guilty or not his career is now ruined over these allegations and there's no coming back from it.

Good! He's ruined enough lives with his behavior towards women. Losing his career should be the very least of the consequences he should face.

Reactions: 8
I’m wondering how it took 11 years? Like one year is a long time, never mind 11. I understand she might have been traumatized but it just seems like a very long time before coming forward
It's normal for victims to take a long time to process what happened to them. She was a child when it happened and probably didn't have an understanding of the power imbalance between them. At 16 I didn't have a clue.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
This type of reaction makes me very uncomfortable. That girl allegedly suffered severe trauma by a very clever, manipulative and powerful (to her) older man while she was a teenager. The same man hid in plain sight using our national broadcaster as a place to showcase himself as some "woke" moral beacon. It's not up to you or me or anyone else to judge how she chose to tell her story. I have been told by the Gardai when I was a teenager not to pursue a sexual assault as it would be "he said, she said" or "do you really want the hassle of all that, sure just put it behind you" etc.. Where else did she feel she could turn if this is the advice she got from the Gardai? Where would you go? Things aren't always that simple. This black and white approach to such complex, traumatising experience is not helpful in encouraging women to speak out about abuse.
THANK YOU FOR THIS 👏🏼
Nobody knows what has happened to initiate this girl to speak out in the way she has.

Unless you have experience with sexual abuse / assault you have zero idea how you would navigate the situation.
There could be a million reasons why she has chosen this route. One of them being her incling that there are more victims & she is hoping they will come forward too

If he was a random neighbour she wouldn’t have the “public jury” that she has now through Twitter, tattle etc. All I’m saying is that if she followed the system they would both get space to put their version of what happened forward and if he is then found guilty there will be consequences that will follow his name and passport forever.
It’s a tough road and to peruse but the outcome could give her claim longevity rather then being a storm on social media. Everyone retweeting and sharing her story will move on with their own day to day stuff.
Maybe she has followed the system & was shot down by the Gardaí. Maybe her decision to put it out there was to encourage other possible victims to come forward and take their own case against him which will be anonymous 🤔
Or maybe she doesn’t feel strong enough to take a case at all but needed to get it out of her head.

I think she’s really brave to do what she has done, and just by reading what she said on Reddit I really do feel her story is true. I was physically attacked and raped by my boyfriend many years ago and I never pursued it with the police/law. I regret that so much. I was terrified I wouldn’t be believed and the fact that he was my boyfriend ... that that somehow blurred the lines and that I was at fault in some way. It wasn’t just a random attack on the street... and I know that really knocked my confidence in how I would come across if I reported it. I feel like her story is similar in that respect, in that they had some form of a relationship. It was only years later that I felt brave enough to speak out about it and was told there is a six year limit in reporting such things. This is another country though where it happened and where I live now. But maybe now that she feels strong enough to speak out about it but is limited in what she can do at this stage... Either way I hope she gets whatever resolution she/they are looking for.
I’m so sorry that this happened you 💔

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
At the end of the day there is no proof that this happened. There is no DNA evidence or CCTV as far as I know. It is absolutely her word against his (although he has not said anything). I know other women have also come out but again there is no proof. He could deny it if it didn't happen and it would be a case of who people believe. I know a lot of people in Ireland seem to really dislike him though and no one has come out to defend him. I think RTE and all connected are just hoping things will blow over and he can quietly dissappear without them having to address it. Maybe they will arrange another party to deflect headlines from Eoghan
Even with DNA evidence it's still her word against his. That's why these crimes are so hard to prove. One will say it was consensual and one will say it wasn't. It's very difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that wasn't consensual. And the predators get away it time and time again. However a 16 year old cannot consent to sex. The % of women who make false allegations is miniscule in comparison to the % of women who have been sexually assaulted, and almost none result in a conviction. You have to ask yourself why this is? We have to stigmatise sexual assault more than we stigmatise speaking out about it. We have to do better for our girls. We have to require more of men. We have to stop doubting victims. There is absolutely nothing to gain by making false allegations, the fact that in sexual assault trials the victim becomes the person on trial, where every detail of what she was wearing, what she drank, why she was alone is scrutinised and vilified, it's so wrong and it has to be changed. If outing predators publicly is the catalyst for change then so be it. Change does not come from staying silent and allowing the courts look after it. That's what has been happening for years and the current statistics are the result. Not good enough.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
I keep thinking of one of the Terenure College abuse victims who spoke so well on the news in the last couple of weeks when his abuser was finally charged and jailed after decades of whispers and coverups. He urged anyone who had been the victim of abuse, no matter how long ago, to come forward.
Maybe that's what encouraged her to speak out.
At the end of the day it doesn't matter why she decided to speak now, and we should all be careful about questioning her "motivation" etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I’m wondering how it took 11 years? Like one year is a long time, never mind 11. I understand she might have been traumatized but it just seems like a very long time before coming forward
I was abused 35 years ago, I still haven’t found the strength to speak out . How dare you victim blame & how dare you assume a year is an acceptable time frame to speak up. Idiot

At the end of the day there is no proof that this happened. There is no DNA evidence or CCTV as far as I know. It is absolutely her word against his (although he has not said anything). I know other women have also come out but again there is no proof. He could deny it if it didn't happen and it would be a case of who people believe. I know a lot of people in Ireland seem to really dislike him though and no one has come out to defend him. I think RTE and all connected are just hoping things will blow over and he can quietly dissappear without them having to address it. Maybe they will arrange another party to deflect headlines from Eoghan
They can check a lot of what’s been claimed , it has been claimed he picked her up from school, others might have seen this, he took her to a bar, he may have paid on a CC, they clocking in and out of the radio station, texts, voice notes etc there are many ways in which someone’s story can be confirmed

• Heart
Reactions: 52
I was abused 35 years ago, I still haven’t found the strength to speak out . How dare you victim blame & how dare you assume a year is an acceptable time frame to speak up. Idiot
Wow! Sorry for asking a question. How am I victim blaming! I asked a question? I did not victim blame, nor have I ever! I’m also not assuming anything, maybe read it again and you’ll see who’s the idiot! Very mature of you!

• Angry
Reactions: 13
Wow! Sorry for asking a question. How am I victim blaming! I asked a question? I did not victim blame, nor have I ever! I’m also not assuming anything, maybe read it again and you’ll see who’s the idiot! Very mature of you!
By questioning a victim you doubts a victim and you blame a victim so yes this makes you an idiot !

Reactions: 14
Agree, no need for that! I have never been abused and I don’t know anyone that has been thankfully. I don’t understand and the ins and outs and I would think “yes 11 years ago ago, why now?” No need for name calling

Reactions: 6
By questioning a victim you doubts a victim and you blame a victim so yes this makes you an idiot !
I asked a question? I did not blame a victim, doubt a victim, or question a victim. Get a life if your on this looking for arguments. People have their opinion of this site. I didn’t give my opinion, I asked a question.

Reactions: 12
I'm so sorry this happened to you. It happened to me over 15 years ago too when I was a very young teenager. I only realised the severity of what happened years later when I was watching a tv show about grooming. I was a baby. My abuser was in his late 20's, he manipulated and coerced me into doing things I was in no way ready for. I won't ever speak out about what happened to me because I don't want to hurt my family. I don't want people to wonder what took me so long. I don't want anyone to doubt my story. So I'll keep it to myself and loudly cheer on those who are braver than me.

Edited to add I still haven't fully processed what happened. People have no idea what sexual assault does to a person. It's much more complicated than people who haven't experienced it imagine.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 47
Agree, no need for that! I have never been abused and I don’t know anyone that has been thankfully. I don’t understand and the ins and outs and I would think “yes 11 years ago ago, why now?” No need for name calling
Thank you Peppy23. Looks like I’m not the only idiot on here

Reactions: 1
I asked a question? I did not blame a victim, doubt a victim, or question a victim. Get a life if your on this looking for arguments. People have their opinion of this site. I didn’t give my opinion, I asked a question.
You questioned the length of time it took her to speak out
You are the reason people don’t speak up because they are questioned and doubted

• Angry
Reactions: 31
I'm so sorry this happened to you. It happened to me over 15 years ago too when I was a very young teenager. I only realised the severity of what happened years later when I was watching a tv show about grooming. I was a baby. My abuser was in his late 20's, he manipulated and coerced me into doing things I was in no way ready for. I won't ever speak out about what happened to me because I don't want to hurt my family. I don't want people to wonder what took me so long. I don't want anyone to doubt my story. So I'll keep it to myself and loudly cheer on those who are braver than me.

Edited to add I still haven't fully processed what happened. People have no idea what sexual assault does to a person. It's much more complicated than people who haven't experienced it imagine.
Everytime I see someone find the strength to speak out I see people question her, why didn’t she say something to someone straight away, why did she go to his house, why did she breath in his direction
The second you question someone who’s a victim you belittle the story she’s telling , it will have taken sometimes years of bursting to speak out, years of feeling dirty, years of feeling damaged to finally speak out & it angers me so much to see women question any word another woman has to say about her story

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Ok yes it’s my fault. Have a nice day
I'm not going to resort to name calling but it is attitudes like this that prevent victims from speaking out. It's not your fault, it's conditioning by society, but you can choose to address the way you automatically think about, by asking yourself why the default is to question the victim when so many women are assaulted and so few predators actually have their lives ruined. Michael Jackson was about to begin the biggest tour of his life before he died in spite of the allegations made against him. Harvey weinstein got away with his abuse for decades because his power silenced his victims. Donald Trump became president of the USA regardless of the number of allegations against him, regardless of his association with Jeffrey Epstein and his victims. And even with all this knowledge you still say things like "But what about the women who lie and ruin men's lives?! We need more proof!!" It's so sad that we still require so much of the victims. Truly heartbreaking.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.