Eoghan McDermott - Irish radio stars face social media allegations.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree however, following the system can be extremely daunting for a young person even years later when the abuser is established and 'famous' so this, coupled with others having similar experiences could give the victim the strength to follow the system.
True but now everyone knows so there's no way he'll get a fair trial if it goes to court and he'll walk.

Reactions: 7
True but now everyone knows so there's no way he'll get a fair trial if it goes to court and he'll walk.
I must say this is what I find worrying. Seems to be 5-6 women who have been his victims and the victim alliance have stated outright they are helping these women with the criminal and civil suits. I’ve probably said before but in 2007 I had a sexual assault happen me (not rape to be clear and I apologise to anyone who thinks I should use a different phrasebut to me it was sexual assault but I got away). I knew him and a week later he wrote to me, a vague letter saying sorry and a cheque for €1000 which in 2007 got you more than it would today. I went to the guards and I was asked did I really want to take him on, that he was a big rich businessman and he had invested in half the town and it would be hard to prove.the scared young girl I was fled of course from the guards that day. so in 2012 I visited a fabulous female solicitor with the apology note I had kept in my car for years and the cheque I never chased. I started a civil claim with her and it got settled out of court for a decent amount of money. I had awful anxiety around relationships and trust for years and even driving through that town used make me vomit .sorry for the long winded story I’m trying to say you may not always have a criminal case or charge but there is a lot you can do civilly in terms of personal injury with the right support

• Heart
Reactions: 96
I must say this is what I find worrying. Seems to be 5-6 women who have been his victims and the victim alliance have stated outright they are helping these women with the criminal and civil suits. I’ve probably said before but in 2007 I had a sexual assault happen me (not rape to be clear and I apologise to anyone who thinks I should use a different phrasebut to me it was sexual assault but I got away). I knew him and a week later he wrote to me, a vague letter saying sorry and a cheque for €1000 which in 2007 got you more than it would today. I went to the guards and I was asked did I really want to take him on, that he was a big rich businessman and he had invested in half the town and it would be hard to prove.the scared young girl I was fled of course from the guards that day. so in 2012 I visited a fabulous female solicitor with the apology note I had kept in my car for years and the cheque I never chased. I started a civil claim with her and it got settled out of court for a decent amount of money. I had awful anxiety around relationships and trust for years and even driving through that town used make me vomit .sorry for the long winded story I’m trying to say you may not always have a criminal case or charge but there is a lot you can do civilly in terms of personal injury with the right support
You poor thing, that's awful. Glad you got the fucker in the end x x

Yeah i guess your story has reminded me of the McGregor case that's going on at the mo with the girl who was raped in the hotel. Hopefully the girls will get some sort of acknowledgement from all of this.

Reactions: 14
So sorry that has happened to you
Xx

Reactions: 3
Been waiting all day for this thread to start! Terrible for the poor girl. Can’t believe how he carries on with all his moral high ground and holier than thou attitude if this is his real personality. He’s so offensive in every way. Doireann can get to duck as well. She gives me a pain in the bajingo that one. God help us if they decide to give that weapon zamparelli extra air time tho 😬
You poor thing, that's awful. Glad you got the fucker in the end x x

Yeah i guess your story has reminded me of the McGregor case that's going on at the mo with the girl who was raped in the hotel. Hopefully the girls will get some sort of acknowledgement from all of this.
But she didn't get him. He settled out of court and threw money at her. I can't believe the attidude of the Guards. This makes me so angry.

Reactions: 9
It makes me so nervous that he was such an advocate for feminism and calling out abusers. I feel like this has been happening so much in the past year, so many Irish men putting themselves at the front of female causes to cover up for whatever they have done in their past. They are using our spaces and our causes as protection for themselves, to cover up and hide - it makes me feel sick. This surface level feminism carry-on is becoming all too common in these awful men.

Reactions: 19
But she didn't get him. He settled out of court and threw money at her. I can't believe the attidude of the Guards. This makes me so angry.
In fairness I don't think there's much a guard can do in these situations. The laws need to change first. There's no way of convicting a sexual assault like theirs unless there's cctv and you went straight to the guards with DNA after it happened. Or unless the person admitted to it to Gardai.

Reactions: 4
I’m sorry now............ actually I’m not! I don’t think reddit is a place for anyone to tell their story like this one, it’s a way to stir it up publicly. Go to the guards, the court....... follow the system!
This type of reaction makes me very uncomfortable. That girl allegedly suffered severe trauma by a very clever, manipulative and powerful (to her) older man while she was a teenager. The same man hid in plain sight using our national broadcaster as a place to showcase himself as some "woke" moral beacon. It's not up to you or me or anyone else to judge how she chose to tell her story. I have been told by the Gardai when I was a teenager not to pursue a sexual assault as it would be "he said, she said" or "do you really want the hassle of all that, sure just put it behind you" etc.. Where else did she feel she could turn if this is the advice she got from the Gardai? Where would you go? Things aren't always that simple. This black and white approach to such complex, traumatising experience is not helpful in encouraging women to speak out about abuse.

• Heart
Reactions: 89
Last summer there was a raft of guys exposed on Irish Twitter as creepy sexual predators. The majority of them had cloaked themselves in being super woke, being involved in Repeal campaigns, massive support for #metoo stories. They had entrenched themselves so much in this woke persona but they were really just trying to disguise their past /current actions.

So many girls came forward with stories about different guys at the time. All of the performative wokeness is similar to the Eoghan hating Weinstein/calling out Hook etc... Shout loud about how great you are now and hope the small voices of your past victims stay unheard.

I feel sorry for Roe if she didn't know, I think she has a genuine voice and I imagine she will get some flack for her brothers behaviour which will be misplaced anger. You'd be frequently surprised how family members are oblivious to the nasty side of their relations. Guys who love their mammy and sisters and treat them like goddesses but knock 7 sorts of shi*e out of their partners behind closed doors. These guys are dangerous because they cultivate this 'nice guy' persona and then use it to gaslight their victims

Reactions: 37
Just listening to 2fm now. Lottie came on to do the celeb news. Jen said "I want tell people about something were talking about ", Lottie said "oh no" really awkwardly 😳 Jen said "no, the thing we were talking about this morning, not the thing we were talking about last night" 😳 That's the closest anyone has publically come to addressing it 😳😳

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
This has made me think of all the tit that’s happened to me and I’d say 99% of girls over the years

Not at all in the same league as this case but unwanted unsolicited attention

You know strangers in pubs/clubs pinching your arse, slapping your arse , shouting stuff at you on streets, catcalling etc, leechy men not bleeping off when you made it clear you don’t want a drink or to talk etc
That feeling walking alone getting a taxi late at night etc
Being scared walking somewhere in the dark even well lit streets

Imagine being a man. They don’t have the same level of fear women on a night out /daily etc

Yes more men probably get physically assaulted random fights etc

• Angry
Reactions: 53
This has made me think of all the tit that’s happened to me and I’d say 99% of girls over the years

Not at all in the same league as this case but unwanted unsolicited attention

You know strangers in pubs/clubs pinching your arse, slapping your arse , shouting stuff at you on streets, catcalling etc, leechy men not bleeping off when you made it clear you don’t want a drink or to talk etc
That feeling walking alone getting a taxi late at night etc
Being scared walking somewhere in the dark even well lit streets

Imagine being a man. They don’t have the same level of fear women on a night out /daily etc

Yes more men probably get physically assaulted random fights etc
You've articulated very well what's in my head. We have come to accept it as behaviour that just happens, it's outrageous. I have received unwanted attention in an email from very senior colleagues at work. It made me very uncomfortable and I spoke to a colleague about it but what do you do? Life could be made very difficult in work if you said anything and sure wasn't it a compliment? This would be the attitude by some. The power balance is still firmly on the side of the man for a lot of us. It's not always as black and white as people make out.

Reactions: 28
It's just crazy! And for them all to just not mention it on air, talk about the elephant in the room. Love to be a fly in the wall in the Rte canteen
If he did do it though, I presume the girl is going down the public shaming route rather than going to court? I don't know much about the legal system but surely all this talk online would prevent him from having a fair trial?
It’s possible she had a moment where she felt she could finally open up and share her story, often things like a process someone should follow gets forgotten about.

I never got Doireanns appeal at all, she’s also not one bit funny.
She is painful to listen to

Reactions: 12
Interesting use of the old inverted commas in this article. Surely it should just be a random assault and not a "random" assault.
1614856315657.png

Reactions: 13
This type of reaction makes me very uncomfortable. That girl allegedly suffered severe trauma by a very clever, manipulative and powerful (to her) older man while she was a teenager. The same man hid in plain sight using our national broadcaster as a place to showcase himself as some "woke" moral beacon. It's not up to you or me or anyone else to judge how she chose to tell her story. I have been told by the Gardai when I was a teenager not to pursue a sexual assault as it would be "he said, she said" or "do you really want the hassle of all that, sure just put it behind you" etc.. Where else did she feel she could turn if this is the advice she got from the Gardai? Where would you go? Things aren't always that simple. This black and white approach to such complex, traumatising experience is not helpful in encouraging women to speak out about abuse.
If he was a random neighbour she wouldn’t have the “public jury” that she has now through Twitter, tattle etc. All I’m saying is that if she followed the system they would both get space to put their version of what happened forward and if he is then found guilty there will be consequences that will follow his name and passport forever.
It’s a tough road and to peruse but the outcome could give her claim longevity rather then being a storm on social media. Everyone retweeting and sharing her story will move on with their own day to day stuff.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.