English Channel migrant crossing crisis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But that's not everyone? Most people do not attend rallies. Most don't even express their opinions because they know it will get them called names and have horrible assumptions made about their character.
Glad we agree on something

This whole thread is full of at least 3 people saying that the system should be changed but that human rights should be respected at the same time. I’d argue that being called a name normally comes when it becomes obvious that the person’s argument is misinformed and the underlying theme is that they simply hate asylum seekers. Easy to spot with some conversation, even if the person prefers to deny it

• Angry
Reactions: 4
I hope you’re not referring to me, I’m not in the least misinformed the last thing communities need is gang warfare kicking off , having to feel intimidated or having thugs influencing young people to do their dirty work, we see it first hand where I live it’s something communities have tried to stamp out for years ,normal people don’t deserve it nor should they be put off from saying so .

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Interestingly there seems to have been a case on the time condition of this but it seems to be limited to refugees

The fact the poster had heard about also seems to have come from Katie Hopkins judging by my short Twitter search
Yes I saw that report. To be honest it's a bit confusing. The general eligibility condition for anyone not a UK citizen or from the EU, EEA or Switzerland is that you have to be what is known as 'habitually resident' and lived in England, Scotland or Wales for the last 2 out of 3 years. There is a specific exception to those conditions for people who came from Ukraine which implies that the rule applies to other refugees. However it's not clear. The thing that is clear is that asylum seekers can't claim PIP.

I hope you’re not referring to me, I’m not in the least misinformed the last thing communities need is gang warfare kicking off , having to feel intimidated or having thugs influencing young people to do their dirty work, we see it first hand where I live it’s something communities have tried to stamp out for years ,normal people don’t deserve it nor should they be put off from saying so .
Sorry to see some think community unrest is funny 🙄

• Sad
But that's not everyone? Most people do not attend rallies. Most don't even express their opinions because they know it will get them called names and have horrible assumptions made about their character.

I feel we should be able to hold those who attend rallies and intimidate people in hotels as being a whole group on their own. I feel they should not be seen as typical even though they are very loud.
There's a whole range of opinions about the issue but there's been nobody on this thread who is trying to pretend that the current situation is desirable or even satisfactory. However the reasoning behind that general disapproval is instructive. There are people who are against any form of immigration and others who feel that the situation is being made worse, probably intentionally, by the government failing to deal with it properly. There are also people who appear to have a specific dislike of asylum seekers and some of those who seem to hold that view for reasons that IMO are illogical, based on ignorance of the facts or misinformation. And of course it's possible that one or two are simply racist.

The same situation applies when it comes to solutions. Some believe that the asylum process has to be reformed so that applications are processed quickly and fairly, that successful applicants are helped to integrate into UK society and that those that are unsuccessful are removed from the country quickly but humanely. Others adopt a much more robust attitude ranging from the simple but obviously nonsensical 'send them back where they came from' to those that seem to prefer 'legal' solutions such as those proposed by the government or trailed by Tory MPs i
e.g. mass criminalisation, 'Catch-22' policies, deportation to a third country, leaving the ECHR and withdrawing from the UNHCR Convention on Refugees.

Of course it doesn't mean that everyone who has a concern about the asylum situation is a racist or right wing bully. However it doesn't help dispel that appearance when opinions are peppered with right-wing memes and supported with quotes from right-wing 'commentators', right-wing media or even undisputed fascists.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Maybe some of those mentioned above were to show how the situation was progressing, not as a show of support, but of course the ridicule continued until ( surprise, surprise) Sky news and the BBC happened to report on the Knowsley demo 🙄 only then did the seriousness of the situation grasp those that continue to paint everyone as right wing bigots for mentioning what was brewing…and continue to ignore genuine points put to them as to why community situations are deteriorating.

Reactions: 1
This is the article I read, so why was the police presence increased at the school? Doesn’t that say something to you or are you still throwing the right wing / racist card at concerned parents because they feel that men filming their children is wrong 🙄
View attachment 1971899
The article includes quotes from the Police ... "Enquiries established that a group of men had been in the vicinity of the girl while she was walking on Preston Road, Standish, at around 8pm on September 7. The girl had not been approached by the men ... The local Neighbourhood Police Team has investigated this report and conducted several reassurance visits with the family, and it has been established that no offences have been committed. In order to reassure the local community, officers have increased patrols in the area and are continuing to work closely with our colleagues from Wigan Council and all other local community partners to offer assurance to residents at the hotel and the wider community. The incident has been closed". It's quite a way down the page so perhaps you missed that bit when you claimed nothing had been done.

And I didn't throw the 'right wing / racist card at concerned parents'. I quoted one of the 'concerned parents' saying ... "The last thing we want is all the right-wing thugs using this as an excuse to bring their toxic messages to Wigan again and whipping up racism.”. You surely wouldn't want to deny her the right to express her concern.

The article includes quotes from the Police ... "Enquiries established that a group of men had been in the vicinity of the girl while she was walking on Preston Road, Standish, at around 8pm on September 7. The girl had not been approached by the men ... The local Neighbourhood Police Team has investigated this report and conducted several reassurance visits with the family, and it has been established that no offences have been committed. In order to reassure the local community, officers have increased patrols in the area and are continuing to work closely with our colleagues from Wigan Council and all other local community partners to offer assurance to residents at the hotel and the wider community. The incident has been closed". It's quite a way down the page so perhaps you missed that bit when you claimed nothing had been done.

And I didn't throw the 'right wing / racist card at concerned parents'. I quoted one of the 'concerned parents' saying ... "The last thing we want is all the right-wing thugs using this as an excuse to bring their toxic messages to Wigan again and whipping up racism.”. You surely wouldn't want to deny her the right to express her concern.
That’s the concern I’ve been raising throughout the entire thread but you keep going back to right wing agendas, the school also issued a stranger danger warning to parents following that encounter and another incident a week later, yet you fail to acknowledge these things are happening, why would the police increase patrols around an area if there was no reason to do so ?

Attachments

That’s the concern I’ve been raising throughout the entire thread but you keep going back to right wing agendas, the school also issued a stranger danger warning to parents following that encounter and another incident a week later, yet you fail to acknowledge these things are happening, why would the police increase patrols around an area if there was no reason to do so ?
No they couldn't have done because "nothing was done" was it?

Here's one of your 'comcerned parents' at a not at all right-wing / racist organised protest again asylum seekers ...

twitter_b7523da6eb633923a39ab6e1ac4de814.jpeg

No they couldn't have done because "nothing was done" was it?

Here's one of your 'comcerned parents' at a not at all right-wing / racist organised protest again asylum seekers ...

View attachment 1972378
As the Manchester Evening news can’t be uploaded here’s the same article in the DM ..,Again you seem to be drawn back to far right protesters and comparing them to concerned parents, can’t you tell the difference 🙄
---
Perfect example of what’s going on, two different agendas here, one of concern the other of hate but some can’t seem to tell the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
As the Manchester Evening news can’t be uploaded here’s the same article in the DM ..,Again you seem to be drawn back to far right protesters and comparing them to concerned parents, can’t you tell the difference 🙄
---
Perfect example of what’s going on, two different agendas here, one of concern the other of hate but some can’t seem to tell the difference.
I don't know why you're posting the same story again, it doesn't help your claim that "nothing was done". Quite the opposite. Why would you claim "nothing was done" when both articles make clear it's palpably untrue? I can't help noticing that you didn't post either of the articles when you made that allegation.

And I don't doubt that local residents don't want asylum seekers in hotels near them. No doubt they also don't want asylum seekers in holding camps or migrant detention facilities near them either. Unfortunately the huge number of people currently in limbo due to the failure of the government to deal with the issue have to be somewhere.

I don't know why you're posting the same story again, it doesn't help your claim that "nothing was done". Quite the opposite. Why would you claim "nothing was done" when both articles make clear it's palpably untrue? I can't help noticing that you didn't post either of the articles when you made that allegation.

And I don't doubt that local residents don't want asylum seekers in hotels near them. No doubt they also don't want asylum seekers in holding camps or migrant detention facilities near them either. Unfortunately the huge number of people currently in limbo due to the failure of the government to deal with the issue have to be somewhere.
What’s untrue? Did the school post fake emails ,there wasn’t a heightened police presence because pupils were being photographed and filmed and men were hanging round schools and the general area?
That doesn’t mean communities should have to put up with it , it’s government failure nothing to do with locals ….
I did post SS and articles😐

Last edited:
Saw there’s a landlord event coming up they must be looking into the private rental market instead of hotels.
I don't know much about Serco but I do know people absolutely hate them.

I don't know much about Serco but I do know people absolutely hate them.
It looks pretty tempting if you’re a landlord.
---
Just googled them and it seems there’s lots of concern being expressed on how businesses and tenants will cope with Serco taking over a lot of properties, people in Skegness were sacked and hotels have lost trade.

Last edited: