Emma Johnson (Emma's Rectangle)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i can't believe this girl had the AUDACITY to claim she didn't get a day off on saturday because she baked a bleeping cake. get a grip

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
I know everyone is handling this pandemic differently but I was a bit concerned for Emma in the vlog this week. Not sure how NHS Is handling therapy with lockdown (in the states) but I couldn't help but think she might really need some. It could do her a world of wonder for her mind.

Reactions: 3
Why does she always write things like "lots of food" "so much food" in her video titles and then eat... a totally normal (even small) amount of food? Everyone eats, it's not noteworthy.

Reactions: 8
i can't believe this girl had the AUDACITY to claim she didn't get a day off on saturday because she baked a bleeping cake. get a grip
And it took her all day to make it bless her. What a tough Saturday shift that was 🙃

But seriously don’t sit and complain about having to stand in your kitchen and bake a friggin’ chocolate cake on a Saturday for your “job” while there’s people in proper jobs who are physically and mentally exhausted working through the pandemic. Not the “exhausted” she claims to be.

I work in mental health so I’m not undermining how she feels but she is lives in such a privileged position that most aren’t. I just can’t stand hearing these youtubers complain when every other person has no choice but to carry on even when times are tough because their lifestyle or work doesn’t allow them to just not go to work or randomly pick a day to take off and watch Netflix.

Reactions: 12
I do think YouTubers/influencers do get more stick than they should for mental health, whilst they might have a more privileged life than the majority of people and their jobs may be easier, it doesn’t mean they’re not allowed to suffer from mental health issues, I know it seems unfair that they seem like they sit on their butts and watch Netflix and just bake and whatnot, it doesn’t mean they aren’t allowed to feel demotivated and struggle.

There have been many celebs who have suffered with mental health and have been close to suicide/have committed suicide when on the outside they look like they have easier lives than most, just because they seem privileged doesn’t mean they’re not allowed to struggle. I don’t want to stick up for Emma and I do agree that her life does seem easy and all she does is stew apples, but she is allowed to have bad days and struggle mentally

Reactions: 4
I do think YouTubers/influencers do get more stick than they should for mental health, whilst they might have a more privileged life than the majority of people and their jobs may be easier, it doesn’t mean they’re not allowed to suffer from mental health issues, I know it seems unfair that they seem like they sit on their butts and watch Netflix and just bake and whatnot, it doesn’t mean they aren’t allowed to feel demotivated and struggle.

There have been many celebs who have suffered with mental health and have been close to suicide/have committed suicide when on the outside they look like they have easier lives than most, just because they seem privileged doesn’t mean they’re not allowed to struggle. I don’t want to stick up for Emma and I do agree that her life does seem easy and all she does is stew apples, but she is allowed to have bad days and struggle mentally
I agree that influencers and celebrities can certainly suffer with poor mental health, even when their lives sometimes seem easier than most, but is there not a tendency nowadays for people to use the words "struggle" and "bad mental health days" for just being a bit lazy and demotivated.

I can't diagnose anyone, and I don't know what Emma is going through - but from what we see of her daily life and from the privilege she has, it does feel as though she is suffering with a bad case of laziness, rather than genuinely suffering from a mental health issue.

Reactions: 7

No one is taking away how she feels or saying she isn’t allowed to struggle or have bad days. I just personally feel that youtubers etc should at least acknowledge the privileged position they are in when they are talking about taking days off for their mental health etc due to their career allowing for that flexibility that’s all.

Particularly during the pandemic when many people in various professions will have been struggling with burnout but can’t take days off for their mental health at the drop of a hat even though they need them. I think it’s just decency to perhaps just acknowledge at the end your privilege knowing most of your viewers won’t have the options or flexibility you do.

Reactions: 6

oh no don’t get me wrong, I know everyone can suffer poor mental health and I’m not saying she can’t or doesn’t, but she is in a more privileged situation than most of us. I’m very happy she feels better this week, nobody deserves to feel mentally not-okay, but that doesn’t excuse the fact that she has new excuses for missing uploads every single week without fail

Reactions: 4
I agree that influencers and celebrities can certainly suffer with poor mental health, even when their lives sometimes seem easier than most, but is there not a tendency nowadays for people to use the words "struggle" and "bad mental health days" for just being a bit lazy and demotivated.

I can't diagnose anyone, and I don't know what Emma is going through - but from what we see of her daily life and from the privilege she has, it does feel as though she is suffering with a bad case of laziness, rather than genuinely suffering from a mental health issue.
You do make some good points, but she has been open about struggling in the past with extreme sadness and anxiety and has recently been experiencing night terrors etc which can be quite dehabilating. Personally, I would say that I’m in a privelleged position in which I’m not a key worker and I work from home and I found the first lockdown very hard and when I wasn’t putting in 100% effort at my job some might of seen me as lazy but really my mental health wasn’t the best and was impacting my work - I’m not saying it’s a good excuse but a lot of people probably do feel similar. Someone mentioned Steph Toms and she has been very open with her mental health struggles but always says throwing herself into her work helps and it keeps her mind off of things, some people may go the other way and struggle to get things done because they feel low and demotivated.
I know YouTubing seems to be just talking to a camera but if you don’t feel great and feel low it probably seems obvious when you aren’t in a great mood and people probably just don’t want to draw attention to their audience, like I wouldn’t want to film a make up tutorial when I feel low/tearful. But also I do think she lacks a level of work ethic too, which might contribute to her stress/anxious feelings (been there done that too)

Reactions: 3
Sooo no video tonight... at this point you really couldn't make it up

Reactions: 5
Sooo no video tonight... at this point you really couldn't make it up
I don’t get why she doesn’t just stick to the weekly vlogs on a Sunday and then if she can be arsed do another mid week video as a bonus, like she clearly doesn’t care

Reactions: 6
#workethicbossbabe
Defo next thread title 😂

Also can I just add that editing footage from like 1.5years ago(?!) does not justify a lack of video for today surely?! WHAT THE HELL DOES SHE DO WITH HER DAYS?!? You’ve had over a year to edit and post this footage?!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Since being furloughed for most of the year, I think I finally kinda get why influencers are always so tired. I do so little now that sometimes I wear myself out by lunchtime doing general life admin like cleaning or meal prepping. I'm trying to actively do more things to stop myself falling down that spiral. Maybe influencers just need a few more hobbies? (at least I hope being more active will make me feel better)

Reactions: 17
Honestly lockdown has highlighted Emma needs to give up her YouTube 'career'. She needs something in her life to give her structure, her channel growth has been stagnant for a very long time and her 'content' is dire. As someone who used to genuinely enjoy her channel but has now unfollowed, Emma it's time to throw in the towel and see YouTube as a hobby as your heart is definitely not in it.

Reactions: 11
Since being furloughed for most of the year, I think I finally kinda get why influencers are always so tired. I do so little now that sometimes I wear myself out by lunchtime doing general life admin like cleaning or meal prepping. I'm trying to actively do more things to stop myself falling down that spiral. Maybe influencers just need a few more hobbies? (at least I hope being more active will make me feel better)
I 100% believe having little to no routine really does that to you. I get like it during my annual leave at times, especially at the moment and you cant fill your days like we used to. My ex was also self employed and was always in that mind frame too. I totally believe keeping your mind busy really really helps.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.