Emma Hill #2 Content is reduced, reused, and recycled, but her wardrobe is brandnew

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Grief gives you the right to grieve in exactly the way that is right for you. If receiving messages would cause her more pain, then she’s right to ask people not to send them.

Reactions: 17
I agree it does, but if you are going that route, then don't even mention that your dog has died. Either be public or be private. You can't dip in and out depending on how you're feeling that day. Don't post a heartbreaking b&w photo of your dog's last moments on earth and then tell people not to say anything. It's just bizarre.

Reactions: 16
Grief gives you the right to grieve in exactly the way that is right for you. If receiving messages would cause her more pain, then she’s right to ask people not to send them.
I agree. I actually went to her IG to read the post for myself, and it sounded reasonable to me (and lord knows I don’t miss an opportunity to call her out). She’s grieving and letting her audience know she needs to peace out for a while. The turning off comments and requesting no DMs honestly seems fine; people sending condolences may make her feel worse; she may also feel like people expect her to reply to their well-meaning DMs and she just isn’t up for that.

That's a great idea, but it would involve thinking beyond her own self-important little world, which Emma hasn't quite perfected yet.
There are going to be so many people out there who have been through the distress of losing a pet, and she's denying them the opportunity to say how sorry they are, because she's far too self-centred to realise that it might make them feel better too. Honestly, I am so done with her yeti appearance and salty attitude. I hope she never comes back or stays away so long she fades into obscurity.
Man you are really reaching. Saying that she’s “denying people the opportunity to say how sorry they are” is nuts. As if your grief gives others some kind of “right” to tell you their sob stories so they can feel better? If you’ve ever actually lost a loved one, then that sounds crazy. If someone came up to me after my grandmother died and said “Actually, you needing some space is rude, because it doesn’t allow me to tell you about MY loss” I would have socked them in the jaw.

Reactions: 25
She really does not have the temperament to be an influencer any more (if she ever did). By all means take time to grieve, I would be the same, but how you communicate with your audience matters.

For example - as an influencer you probably need to accept to some degree that people want to say something about this. So if you don’t want DMs (and fair enough) then just let people comment on the post? It’s not intrusive, you don’t even have to read them, just acknowledge them in your next post or video, whenever that is.

I don’t know. It’s a tit time. And she doesn’t ‘have’ to do anything. This way of doing things seems the worst of both worlds though.

• Heart
The easiest way to not get comments and DMs is to not post about it in the first place IMHO.

And it's not 'nuts' to suggest she's denying people the opportunity to reach out to her - not to tell her their 'sob stories' but to offer kindness. Being kind helps the giver as well as the receiver.

Reactions: 7
I don't think there really is a right or wrong way in this situation. I agree with both sides- everyone needs to grieve in their own way and it is reasonable to ask people to "stay away" if it is going to trigger you.

However, like it or not she puts her life out there in the public, and she did choose to share this bit of news. She could have just turned off DMs and comments and said she needs a break. Or she could just say she needs a break and then actually take a break, stepping away from social media (y'know,logging out, not looking at DMs and comments!) so she doesn't get triggered.

Inevitably some well meaning person is going to DM her or comment on some old post either asking where she is, or trying to send words of support. It might be that they hadn't read her posts or seen the story. I highly doubt anyone is going to send their wishes and say how sad they are for them, with malice or ill intention to upset her..... but it will upset her nonetheless.

It is hard to be a public figure, and yet have the expectation you can police how people respond to you (right or wrong).

I do feel sad for her (see even here so many of us are saying this), and I really hope she uses this time to get help. If receiving well intended messages of comfort and support from her supporters (the people who essentially support her livelihood as an influencer!!!!!) is THIS distressing, then I think she really needs to look elsewhere. I can't imagine she loves influencing and content creation this much that she should put her own mental health at risk.

Emma, please, get help.

• Heart
Yes, exactly that. She could have posted that she needed a break and she'd be back soon, then return when she's feeling more able to deal with things and update people about Bean if she felt it was necessary (although she never vlogs anymore so I really don't see that it is).

Instead, she uploads upsetting pictures and emotional posts but then tells everyone to keep quiet and not speak to her. I completely understand the need for space, but as you say, if she can't handle even kind words of support, then maybe just not put it out there in the first place.

It's true that you can't control other peoples' actions, whether or not you're a public figure. But the criticism that she owes her followers a chance to offer condolences after a very sad life event is misguided. If my beloved pet died, I really wouldn't give a tit about what my coworkers would say, even though my company signs my paycheck. I'd tell my boss that I needed time off because I can't just disappear without warning, and then maybe tell a few close teammates so they don't wonder where I went. But am I obligated to tell the other 200+ strangers I work with, to offer them a chance to say something nice to me? Certainly not. Emma doesn't have a "few close coworkers" to give a heads up to. She told her audience what happened as a courtesy, and that's really all that's needed.

As for allowing comments but just not reading them... Maybe she doesn't want to see a notification that says "You have 300 Instagram comments" or accidentally read a comment from some clueless person asking "Where is your sweater from?" I get wanting to just shut off all that noise for a while.

Anyway, it's clear that there's disagreement about how she should have handled this, but for once in the history of my Tattle account, I will stick up for her on this matter.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I do agree she’s allowed to grieve in any way she needs, but it’s extremely privileged to be able to take weeks off after losing a pet.

I do agree she’s allowed to grieve in any way she needs, but it’s extremely privileged to be able to take weeks off after losing a pet.
Maybe it is privileged but it’s the way it should be. I’m glad for her that she can do it.

Reactions: 13
Do we know how much Emma paid for her knock off Eames lounge chair flown in from Italy?! There’s an authentic vintage one available in my area and I want to make sure I’m better than Emma at sourcing MCM furniture 😂

Very sad about Bean, but yet again, she shows she’s incapable of communicating in a non-snarky way. So important to set boundaries, especially during difficult times, but does she have to do it in such an unappreciative way?!

Reactions: 10
Do we know how much Emma paid for her knock off Eames lounge chair flown in from Italy?! There’s an authentic vintage one available in my area and I want to make sure I’m better than Emma at sourcing MCM furniture 😂

Very sad about Bean, but yet again, she shows she’s incapable of communicating in a non-snarky way. So important to set boundaries, especially during difficult times, but does she have to do it in such an unappreciative way?!
So true she could have just said thanks for the well wishes but am signing off for a few weeks to take some time that’s all it needed to be, she just comes across as very cold and mean! Her relatives and friends (Not sure she actually has any) must b totally drained by her!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Just seen her post and I don’t think its meant in a bad way.m, she worded it nicely

i grieve the same way, i can’t really have anyone be too nice or message me or want to wish me well etc.. it just makes all so much more painful, i just don’t wish to keep being reminded so i really do feel for her.

didn’t realise she had bean for so long! my heart does break for her atm.

Reactions: 7
Just seen her post and I don’t think its meant in a bad way.m, she worded it nicely

i grieve the same way, i can’t really have anyone be too nice or message me or want to wish me well etc.. it just makes all so much more painful, i just don’t wish to keep being reminded so i really do feel for her.

didn’t realise she had bean for so long! my heart does break for her atm.
For me it’s the “I just can’t deal with that, I just need some time”. Like okay, got it, but as @Emmas83 said, a simple “we thank you for your understanding during this time, and we’ll be back soon”. Maybe I just read it in Emma’s snarky voice so it I interpret it that way 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I get what you mean about the posting but then requesting no-one messages, she probably could have left it a couple of weeks and just stayed quiet till she felt up to it. Can come across a bit like that type of person who posts cryptic messages on Facebook, you know the type..

"Oh, today has been the worst"

"What's up hun?"

"I Don't want to talk about it"

If you don't want to talk about it, don't post it on social media. Simples.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I suppose it comes down to the 'why do people post on social media?' question. Regular people, and even influencers (aside from the ads and the spon), do they post for attention, engagement, because they need to offload?
If you upload to IG or write a FB post or tweet, people are going to engage with it (especially something as emotive as Emma's picture of her and Bean, which would have been very triggering for many people). It's the social bit of social media, except Emma doesn't seem to get that.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.