Emma Drew #18 A hot chocolate a day keeps the weight loss at bay

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Are there any money bloggers that are worth a follow these days? - Would like to get tips on saving money rather than pishing 10k on WLS, buying shares in mini marshmallows, toeknee touches & photos of cats that hate me!

(Am less than 2k away from clearing all my debt and would love to turn - into a + this year)
I'm a healthcare worker and I've been working flat out through the pandemic. On many occassions, I found myself burned out and depressed, scouring the internet for crap to buy to make myself feel better. My mental health was poor and I realised that social media was one of the culprits (and one of the reasons I wanted to spend spend spend!). I no longer follow any of the money bloggers for money saving tips since they always advocate buying stuff. It's a bit of a spending trigger for me, seeing them promoting something that seemed a great deal, even if it was something I didn't need.

I would recommend watching a few YT videos on budgeting, get your last few months worth of bank and credit card statements and just go through and add up what you spend. I've always found moneysavingexpert a good resource and the forums are a good place to ask questions. I separate mine into "food", "household", "fixed expenses" (eg. council tax, mortgage/rent), "transport", "utilities" etc then I look at where I can trim. You might want to separate "food" into "groceries", "takeaways" and "coffees & lunches". The more detailed your budget, the better an idea you will have of your spending but the more overwhelming it can be.

I am completely debt free now and I did it without buying expensive budgeting software from mamafurfur or a lovely planner from the money fox.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Another hot chocolate ! Yet struggles to ‘hydrate’. Liquid calories are the way forward for ya gurl in her quest to fail at WLS.

Reactions: 19
I Guess as she has done a blog post of the velvetiser she can now take it off her tax? 🙄

• Angry
  • Haha
I no longer follow any of the money bloggers for money saving tips since they always advocate buying stuff. It's a bit of a spending trigger for me, seeing them promoting something that seemed a great deal, even if it was something I didn't need.
I second this! I have come off SM except for my iPad so my time on it is much less but yesterday I was sent a £10 off a £20 spend via my money saving Instagram account. I nearly made a purchase and then shook myself. I would be £10 down and the person sending me the link would have got a freebie, I didn’t really benefit from it. Most of them only do it for the benefits to themselves, there are a good few who makes £100s from other people using their links and it angers me so much!

Reactions: 12
I’ve never ever known anyone to spend as much time in bed as her. Get up and do something instead of wallowing in your bed with a book - the feed is so depressing I’m done now. Unfollowed. I literally couldn’t take anymore 🤣

I second this! I have come off SM except for my iPad so my time on it is much less but yesterday I was sent a £10 off a £20 spend via my money saving Instagram account. I nearly made a purchase and then shook myself. I would be £10 down and the person sending me the link would have got a freebie, I didn’t really benefit from it. Most of them only do it for the benefits to themselves, there are a good few who makes £100s from other people using their links and it angers me so much!
THIS. I used to always get sucked in with the £10 off but spend £20 so I was actually £10 or more down. I’ve stopped it all (unless it’s something I was already buying) and I just use that very handy tool called google and search for a voucher before buying. I’ve always been very good at finding discounts but I found I spent more following these money saving bloggers... go figure 🥴.

I’m doing a no spend year in 2021, I’ll let you know if I beat Emma’s target of 3 hours

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
THIS. I used to always get sucked in with the £10 off but spend £20 so I was actually £10 or more down. I’ve stopped it all (unless it’s something I was already buying) and I just use that very handy tool called google and search for a voucher before buying. I’ve always been very good at finding discounts but I found I spent more following these money saving bloggers... go figure 🥴.

I’m doing a no spend year in 2021, I’ll let you know if I beat Emma’s target of 3 hours
Have a look at Shoestring Cottage, Jane is on a 'buy only second hand' year and she won't try to sell you anything either

Goals for 2021: brave new world - Shoestring Cottage

Reactions: 5
I’ve never ever known anyone to spend as much time in bed as her. Get up and do something instead of wallowing in your bed with a book - the feed is so depressing I’m done now. Unfollowed. I literally couldn’t take anymore 🤣
My nanny (may she always RIP) always told me you spend enough time laying down when you are dead, so not to waste time doing the same when alive . This has always stuck in my mind so I've never wasted a day in bed. It's A shame Emma doesn't or never has had anyone to encourage her to stop wasting her life away in bed

• Heart
Reactions: 20
If anyone wants to look at another insensitive nobhead, check out living thriftys saving stories 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Emma Drew bingo is strong today - we’ve had a mention of:

Hot Chocolate
Bed
Books
Cats
Cancer
WLS
And my favourite - the infamous Wishlist

• Haha
Reactions: 17
It's miraculous what you can do from your stinking pit...🙄

I admit it, these last couple of days I've been having lazy days, but the difference between me and Emma is that I actually get out of bed and I actually get changed out of my Pj's and I actually do some work as well. I'm not having god knows how many hot chocolates and I'm not constantly posting about eating on social media. Even when I'm unwell I very rarely stay in bed, and to see her post about it constantly just makes me want to tell her what a lazy witch she is...oh I wish she would keep her comments turned on in her stories! 😂😂

Attachments

Reactions: 6
For someone so intent on saving money - why is her to be read pile of books so big?! I’ve counted around 40 books there so if she averaged paying £5 a book there’s £200 sat there being wasted. I LOVE reading but I’ll only let myself buy books when I know my to be read pile has been depleted. Emma’s constantly buying new books so that pile will never go down. It’s all a bout just wanting more and more new stuff to get the shopping buzz for Emma.

(In a related note, I spotted The Guestlist by Lucy Foley on Emma’s pile - I read it recently and loved it. Can highly recommend it!)

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
For someone so intent on saving money - why is her to be read pile of books so big?! I’ve counted around 40 books there so if she averaged paying £5 a book there’s £200 sat there being wasted. I LOVE reading but I’ll only let myself buy books when I know my to be read pile has been depleted. Emma’s constantly buying new books so that pile will never go down. It’s all a bout just wanting more and more new stuff to get the shopping buzz for Emma.

(In a related note, I spotted The Guestlist by Lucy Foley on Emma’s pile - I read it recently and loved it. Can highly recommend it!)
Such a good point! Reading a book is just an excuse to sit there in her filthy blankets I think

• Sick
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.