Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

half_pint

Interested in how she got such a large following seemingly so quick - what do we think it is about her that brought in such a following? I know her original editing style was considered to be something different in the beginning with her zooms and distortion filters, but her content wasn't that different from many other girls her age on youtube.
I think it was a mix of her editing + trying so hard to seem relatable. Girls who go to soulcycle, starbucks, bath & body works and wear fake lashes to the gym are a dime a dozen on Youtube. Emma did the whole quirky "I don't care about my looks and I'm not afraid to burp on camera" thing and it blew up. It's the only explanation I can think because her videos are super boring & half assed.

Reactions: 21

hermoinelestrange

i’m new to this thread, i think it’s great that she has accumulated such a huge amount of following at her young age but i genuinely don’t understand her videos, maybe it’s just not my type of humour🤷🏻‍♀️😬 when i watch her new videos she just looks really sad and empty it’s really depressing to watch☹
I can only speak for myself but I love her videos as I'm super introverted and a major homebody like her. She honestly seems to be living my dream, a quiet simple life where you can afford to buy whatever you want whenever you want, to travel constantly to NY and Paris and work in fashion with access to exclusive pieces, be mostly free of non work related responsibilities, have endless time to explore hobbies, create art, cook for yourself, have a routine and are healthy etc. Ik realistically no ones life is that simple but her vlogs make it seem nice.

Reactions: 18
Her latest video was of COURSE about food. "cooking"... basically vegetables either roasted or blended.
Maybe its because I've always had an ED, but this girl literally screams eating problems to me.
Why does she keep showing what she eats???? it can't just be me that gets annoyed with it 🥲
This has been bothering me for so long. She very obviously has lost a tonne of weight and lives on 4 coffees a day plus some fruit and maybe some vegetables. How is no one else seeing how problematic this is?

Reactions: 18

macrofriendly

VIP Member
Am I think only one thinking that in her videos she plays up to this whole narrative of being alone/tired/lost etc etc?
Because I am moreso into the podcast and on there she's a lot more upbeat, on the ball and eloquent.
I think maybe a bit of it is her playing a character (and I want to add that I actually have nothing wrong with this - I think that it's part of the job that these influencers do).
I just don't think she would have made it this far, be on runways, getting flown to Paris etc etc if there weren't other cogs turning behind the scenes.
Also I love her Dad just putting that out there. So wholesome.

Reactions: 17

orlyb1310

VIP Member
When she eats all that fruit and salad I know it’s healthy but it all feels so odd and unhealthy ?? Like she’s almost too healthy it’s weird
I feel the same but idk how to word it without sounding ridiculous and envious. It's like she's putting on a performance to show how much she eats and loves food because thats 'relatable' but she doesn't seem like a foodie at all so it just seems inauthentic. Like surely if your body is letting you eat almost 4 whole punnets of berries at once, its because you're lacking something??? She has about two meals on rotation too like you're not fooling anyone that you love your food girlie when you're eating the exact same thing everyday. I think this Emily Mariko who's blowing up on tiktok is a much better role model for the rich, skinny, 'I have my life unattainably together' aesthetic.

kenyounot

When she humble brags by repeatedly shouting, “WHAT AM I DOING” as if it’s so profound of an existence— um, hun you’re flying from one expensive city to the next just so you can walk around, drink coffee, and buy your “safe” foods at Whole Foods so you can eat them in bed.

I still follow Emma because I think she has a unique insight and some untapped potential with her content. But MAN I’m two seconds away from unfollowing. Her lifestyle isn’t inspiring, it’s sad and damaged because of her own internal battles. But due to clever editing and her current image being what’s trendy, young people worship her. It’s too transparent for me anymore honestly…

Claud123

Chatty Member
On her podcasts she’ll mention how appreciative of her audience she is and blah blah blah but she literally does nothing to show that as she provides no insight into her actual life and disappears off of youtube without acknowledging anything. Obviously people are entitled to personal lives and she doesn’t owe anyone anything but for someone who constantly preaches about how much she adores her watchers, i find it quite odd. Also, quite contradictory and hypocritical when she was talking on AG about how being self employed makes it difficult to take breaks and go on holiday but now she’s literally taking a break after taking a break if that makes sense.
Influencers that get that much money as Emma has got, loved their audience cause thanks to them are rich. But as then don't need their money anymore, the 'love' is over. They get too busy spending their money. Emma reminds me to Zoella. She was so engaged with her audience until got super rich then ditched anything related to connect to her audience.

Remember that podcast where she spoke about how toxic instagram was? then went on to do an instagram sponsorship lol?
Yes. Agree. And I really think social media is as toxic as you make it. You basically build your own algorithm based on what you looked for, what you liked and what you saw. My Instagram for example is full of kitties, puppies, beautiful places I want to visit, quotes, interesting facts, books recommendations. I can easily spend just 15 minutes on Instagram and that doesn't affect my life in a bad way.

If you follow nothing but influencers showing their latest Chanel, Dior and Hermes hauls, their vacations on Dubai and Paris, the latest fashion releases, the girls with edited body compiting for who is skinnier... well you chose a toxic algorithm.

Really, is all about being responsible. Is nobody's fault but yours.

This is really long winded and I probably should have put it as it’s own comment instead of a response but I just realised how much I don’t really like her anymore and she gets away with so much shit lol
Yes, I really don't like how she dissconnected of her audience just because she got a boyfriend. She must be a really difficult person to deal with. She seems the kind of person that gets so much dependence of the other person to be ok. I feel sorry for her bf. Is a big responsability when someone's happiness depends so much on you.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

orlyb1310

VIP Member
I personally think Emma looked gorgeous at the met gala last night. Not sure how it fit in with the theme but the theme was also very loose and lots of people fail to stick to it anyway.

orlyb1310

VIP Member
I do think its reckless for someone with so many followers who clearly struggles with eating to be showing food so often on their channel unless it was to document recovery which it isn't. Young people will be fooled into thinking she's the pinnacle of health and I already imagine she gets loads of comments from guilty girls saying 'I eat 5x what Emma does in a day:cry:'. I wonder if she's less restrictive around her friends and boyfriend and only eats the masses of fruit and roasted vegetables on camera because she thinks its her brand but she does look quite gaunt at the best of times.

• Sad

lethscsmofdero

Chatty Member
has anyone listened to the CHD Podcast ?
No, alexandra coopers a horrid little twat who gives terrible terrible life advice and i’m not sure why she’s not had her platform ripped out from under her yet. from the clips i’ve seen emma’s just regurgitating the same old shit she’s already stated throughout her podcast and youtube. she either does little research on the people she befriends/works with or she just genuinely doesn’t care. I think it’s especially bad taste to go on CHD straight after Jamie lynn Spears.

Emma’s become quite unlikable these past few months and it’s now so obvious how out of touch and generally false she is. On her podcasts she’ll mention how appreciative of her audience she is and blah blah blah but she literally does nothing to show that as she provides no insight into her actual life and disappears off of youtube without acknowledging anything. Obviously people are entitled to personal lives and she doesn’t owe anyone anything but for someone who constantly preaches about how much she adores her watchers, i find it quite odd. Also, quite contradictory and hypocritical when she was talking on AG about how being self employed makes it difficult to take breaks and go on holiday but now she’s literally taking a break after taking a break if that makes sense. this podcast kind of solidified just how out of touch she is. I’ve noticed her advice is just not that great? she was talking about how people should just let themselves be depressed a while ago and just wait it out, and whilst that may work for her it doesn’t work for most people. People love to act as though she’s wise beyond her years but she has pretty much 0 life experience and is incredibly toxic with her ‘advice’.

I’ve seen so many people called out for working with better help due to the numerous complaints about them and their non existent morals, yet Emma receives no backlash. It’s gross that she promotes this whilst admitting she doesn’t go to therapy (when she obviously needs it). She has mentioned on AG that she’s very selective about the sponsorships she does (which one should be if their in her position), but then better help is who she chooses lol? She puts very little effort into her sponsorships and she actually sounded like she’d rather do anything else during the sponsorship segment in her last podcast. Remember that podcast where she spoke about how toxic instagram was? then went on to do an instagram sponsorship lol?

This is really long winded and I probably should have put it as it’s own comment instead of a response but I just realised how much I don’t really like her anymore and she gets away with so much shit lol

• Heart
Reactions: 15

LYRA234

Well from her videos it looks like all she does is eat fruit, hummus, visit whole foods, the gym, buy clothes, fuck up her clothes, read and sleep. It’s very very depressing. I get it, if she doesn’t want to share her life because people are NOSY AF (👀) however, she’s a rich bitch and can just quit! What the hell go live your life, get a different job. Move onto to film making or presenting. Are we really going to get a whole 2022 of videos of her eating in bed? Pleeeeeaaaaaassssseee Emma!

• Heart

orlyb1310

VIP Member
I lost respect for her when she did an AD for that stock market app and literally said in the advert ‘so I haven’t actually used it yet’.

• Haha

Claud123

Chatty Member
I think if an influencer get tired of YouTube, it should just leave YouTube. Announce it, dedicate to other projects and move on. Emma has the money/time to start other projects.

I don't like when a YouTubber like her just keep the audience as a "backup". Only goes back to her audience when needs to promote something. Basically feels like you are there until she wants to sell you something.

• Heart

gargamel

I get that she’s very charismatic and her videos are enjoyable to watch but I don’t see the whole ‘relatable’ thing at all. She only ever talks about such first world problems and it really winds me up when she spends hours all day in bed and then wonders why she’s tired all the time lol. Drinking copious amounts of coffee isn’t going to help that!

LYRA234

Why is she following NOBODY on Instagram besides Chamberlain Coffee? It’s pretty odd. Like, to not even follow a single one of your friends’ accounts just to be nice/polite. I’ve honestly always thought she seemed quite self-obsessed and egocentric, and this kind of emphasises that again.

I don’t think that’s why, I imagine she has a private Instagram for her actual friends. I’m getting the impression Emma is done with allowing the general public see into her personal relationships. Like her YT videos prepping for parties, always the food, never mentioning who is coming etc.

ChatNoir

When I first discovered her I remember thinking that she has a very strange relationship with food. It looks like she's been brought up in a home in which her parents tried to eat as healthily as possible and have accidentally implemented wrong information about food to her daughter. Whenever she mentions food she had growing up it's always substitutes, like chickpea pasta instead of regular pasta. If she has something slightly more caloric she calls it unhealthy and I truly believe it might be because of this. If a child is used to her parents avoiding completely certain stuff she will eventually do it too, and as a child she didn't have the capacity to differentiate between something being caloric and something being healthy/unhealthy. So she now has this warped idea of food which combined with being on the public eye and all the pressure that comes with SM has probably developed into an ED. Like honestly, if pasta was unhealthy Italy would not exist.

For example, back at home she buys all this pre cut fruit and veg which I find strange. Like, those precut carrots have to have some sort of preservative which is definitely not great or healthy. If she truly worried about eating healthy she would buy fresh veggies instead of all these precut/prepackaged in plastic shit she always buys.

There's this video of her when she was like... 15/16? in which she makes cookies with uncommon/substitutive ingredients (which she simply had at home) that turns out to be a paleo recipe... Not saying that this is bad at all, it just looks like she's been very conscious about food since a young age and has affected the way she see's it and consumes it, making her obsessed with (sometimes falsely) healthy food.

Last edited:
  • Sad

antiblogger

so she quits youtube now that shes a real 'celeb'. she cant be interacting with the peasant fans who put her to where she is and made her super rich. but she still stays around to promote her coffee and whatever else. I think its so sad that young girls look up to someone like this. youtube promoted emma in the first place she wouldnt have done it on her own. i dont blame her for wanting out but it just brings to light how people get fooled into thinking that this person cares about them or tht they have any chance of being like her because they dont, youtube picked her out and promoted her so tht people would think they have a chance of being liek her and create videos like her but she basically won the lottery because it doesnt happen for most other people. please people stop following these people. they dont care about you. they want money and thats all.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

emmax1234

Her latest video was of COURSE about food. "cooking"... basically vegetables either roasted or blended.
Maybe its because I've always had an ED, but this girl literally screams eating problems to me.
Why does she keep showing what she eats???? it can't just be me that gets annoyed with it 🥲

Reactions: 13

Claud123

Chatty Member
I am honestly not surprised and kind of glad if she's not friends with Olivia and Amanda anymore. You can tell she's a bit more mature than both of them and on a different brain wave than the other girls, and that's fine. I feel like I'm somewhat similar to Emma and personally I could not tolerate the other girls. Emma needs to spend time around probably people that are a few years older than her to match maturity levels.
I agree. Her latest podcast made a lot of sense to me, on enjoying the time alone. Im the kind of person that enjoy my time alone too. When she talked about the difference to go to a place by yourself and going with someone else was soooooo truth!. I can relate with that and reminds me how different is to go shop by yourself and with someone else. When I run errands with my husband he rush me to hurry up. When I go by myself I take my time and enjoy the place I go to. When I go to shop with my mum she wants me to find things for her and I can't concentrate on what I want. When I go to a restaurant with a friend sometimes they don't like it and I do or contrary. Is a completely different experience to do things by yourself.
I was suprised to hear that from a 20 yo girl. She learnt that at an early age I would say (I probably learnt that on my 30s and Im 40 now).

I also think lately she is showing less and less on her days. Like the Boston trip, she flew from Paris to Boston to meet her boyfriend (I think). She went to his concert (I think) and she was with a bunch of people. But the Boston video vlog she posted makes her look like she was alone the whole time and locked on her bedroom mostly of the time. She seems to be travelling that much lately to be with her bf (who is on tour).

My impression of her is that she doesn't post much on real-time / real-events, which in my opinion is really smart for security reasons. And to avoid paparazzis.

Reactions: 13