Emily Clarkson (em_clarkson)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This won’t apply for em and her baby but as she’s got a male name , with the gender pay gap …..that cv will be more likely to get an interview for a job thinking it’s a male cv etc . But it’s a stupid name for a little girl .
Love the bed in the bathroom analogy 😂❤

Reactions: 3
This won’t apply for em and her baby but as she’s got a male name , with the gender pay gap …..that cv will be more likely to get an interview for a job thinking it’s a male cv etc . But it’s a stupid name for a little girl .
Love the bed in the bathroom analogy 😂❤
then that suggests the employer is sexist… and when Arlo turns up for an interview, she will instantly be rejected for being a girl (if they weren’t looking to hire a girl) thus wasting Arlo’s time. Yet another inconvenience

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Nothing quite says “I’m a raging narc” parent, like giving a child and completely outlandish, ridiculous and inappropriate name.

It just screams “me me me”. “Look how cool and alternative I am” “I’m not a regular mom I’m a cool mom” “look how creative I am” 🙄

zero thought given to the child that actually has to go through life with a misgendered dog name.

Reactions: 5
Nothing quite says “I’m a raging narc” parent, like giving a child and completely outlandish, ridiculous and inappropriate name.

It just screams “me me me”. “Look how cool and alternative I am” “I’m not a regular mom I’m a cool mom” “look how creative I am” 🙄

zero thought given to the child that actually has to go through life with a misgendered dog name.
People often assume I'm a male by my name and are surprised when they meet me and I'm actually a female.... it's fine. I feel it's more on the person who makes that assumption tbh. Arlo is pretty unoffensive.

If she was called Bambi, or some other equally ridiculous name then I could see your point.

People often assume I'm a male by my name and are surprised when they meet me and I'm actually a female.... it's fine. I feel it's more on the person who makes that assumption tbh. Arlo is pretty unoffensive.

If she was called Bambi, or some other equally ridiculous name then I could see your point.
why is it on that person though?

if someone is called John, which by large is used overwhelming for males, then it’s a fair assumption to assume they are male.

if a parent decides to name a female child John, then they know what they are doing. It’s totally on the parent for making that decision.

maybe you don’t mind having a male name. But that’s personal to you.

john isn’t an offensive name, neither is Arlo. But it’s in poor taste and pretty narcissist IMO to name a female child, by an overwhelmingly male name.

there are SO many names to chose from, both female and gender neutral. IMO is very telling and reflective of the type of person a parent is, based on how they name their kid.

for context, in the western world typically the last name (if you were a member of an aristocratic house for example, or your trade aka smith) was a big bigger indicator of your identity than a given name. One of the reasons why we get repetition quite a lot - aka eight king Henrys. If we went in a Time Machine 500 years ago and spoke to someone, their primary identity would be their trade or family house or title. They wouldn’t express themselves through individual taste in say, music or art. It would be bound yo

its a fairly recent social phenomenon, the focus on the individual identity as opposed to wider social groups. This can be a positive - aka less loyalty to big company workplaces and more of a focus on the individual experience. But with this focus on individuality comes the more extreme narcissism. This is especially true of celebrities or people who actively seek being active in the public eye, because as a group these people typically have more narcissist traits.

The strong desire to be seen as so individual that you are “special” and hence the growth in popularity of “outlier” given names for kids and alternative spellings of more traditional names.

Last edited:
why is it on that person though?

if someone is called John, which by large is used overwhelming for males, then it’s a fair assumption to assume they are male.

if a parent decides to name a female child John, then they know what they are doing. It’s totally on the parent for making that decision.

maybe you don’t mind having a male name. But that’s personal to you.

john isn’t an offensive name, neither is Arlo. But it’s in poor taste and pretty narcissist IMO to name a female child, by an overwhelmingly male name.

there are SO many names to chose from, both female and gender neutral. IMO is very telling and reflective of the type of person a parent is, based on how they name their kid.

for context, in the western world typically the last name (if you were a member of an aristocratic house for example, or your trade aka smith) was a big bigger indicator of your identity than a given name. One of the reasons why we get repetition quite a lot - aka eight king Henrys. If we went in a Time Machine 500 years ago and spoke to someone, their primary identity would be their trade or family house or title. They wouldn’t express themselves through individual taste in say, music or art. It would be bound yo

its a fairly recent social phenomenon, the focus on the individual identity as opposed to wider social groups. This can be a positive - aka less loyalty to big company workplaces and more of a focus on the individual experience. But with this focus on individuality comes the more extreme narcissism. This is especially true of celebrities or people who actively seek being active in the public eye, because as a group these people typically have more narcissist traits.

The strong desire to be seen as so individual that you are “special” and hence the growth in popularity of “outlier” given names for kids and alternative spellings of more traditional names.
I think you’re thinking too deeply about this

Reactions: 4
I think you’re thinking too deeply about this
I’m explaining why I think it’s a bit narcy.

It’s not something I’ve come up with - as a phenomenon it trends a lot in sociological/anthropological/academic discussion.

Fourquet and Manternach (2019) have called the phenomenon a rise of “mass narcissism”

when a celeb names their kid a dumb or “different name” (think Apple and Gwen Paltrow) it’s the archetypal example of narcissism. Google it and a TON of academic papers and news articles will come up on it.

I’m explaining why I think it’s a bit narcy.

It’s not something I’ve come up with - as a phenomenon it trends a lot in sociological/anthropological/academic discussion.

Fourquet and Manternach (2019) have called the phenomenon a rise of “mass narcissism”

when a celeb names their kid a dumb or “different name” (think Apple and Gwen Paltrow) it’s the archetypal example of narcissism. Google it and a TON of academic papers and news articles will come up on it.

talking of celeb baby names, like Apple Martin - it's weird names like that, used by celebrities, that see a sudden rise in popularity as parents choose "unusual" celeb baby names for their own kids, thinking they are super on trend. same with Molly Mae naming her daughter Bambi - as much criticism as the name has received, Bambi will undoubtedly see a surge in popularity as a baby name. knowing how much Em loves the limelight - constantly using every Jeremy Clarkson headline to focus attention in herself - it wouldn't suprise me if she is hoping that naming her dau Arlo will inspire other people do use the name for their own daughters, thus being able to take credit for starting a trend of using Arlo as a gender-neutral name option.

unisex baby names are pretty popular, so i can see her choosing a more masculine name to make a point about equality and names not having a gender, trailblazing the way for loads of little girls to be named Arlo, like the superhero she is. guaranteed there will be reels about baby names, and boys names vs girls names etc coming soon. she'll be scrolling here constantly, taking notes, absolutely thrilled that the comments about assuming genders based on names are playing right into her hands! 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2
They rlly want me to believe their life is hard and I should listen to their opinions on ANYTHING while they’re trotting about central London middle of a week day looking like THIS

Middle class privilege at its finest
---
They rlly want me to believe their life is hard and I should listen to their opinions on ANYTHING while they’re trotting about central London middle of a week day looking like THIS

I mean look at him.

He looks like every white collar London snob I’ve ever seen.

Do not believe she deserves an ounce of pity or any of the influence she holds. Daddy’s money.

Attachments

• Heart

---

I mean look at him.

He looks like every white collar London snob I’ve ever seen.

Do not believe she deserves an ounce of pity or any of the influence she holds. Daddy’s money.
yup they look like a pretty insufferable couple lol

totally agree.

she gives off spoiled mean girl vibes, he gives off Entitled White Male.

Reactions: 2
Her most recent post - motherhood is easy when you literally have nothing to worry about, no real career and 0 issues standing in your way to being a parent.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Her most recent post - motherhood is easy when you literally have nothing to worry about, no real career and 0 issues standing in your way to being a parent.
I get the message she’s trying to put across but she’s such a smug twit that you just end up rolling your eyes at the whole thing.

Reactions: 5
It's also just not realistic or true. What about women with post natal depression, anxiety, those who don't have help, resources, safety nets.
I also just don't agree with her experience that everyone tells you how awful it's going to be. Instagram especially puts across this sunshine and rainbows narrative, people around you are excited for you and the gap between that and reality can lead to awful experiences of early motherhood which I think we should be more honest about and provide support for.

She’s such a twit. What’s the quote again? “Better to be silent and thought of as a fool, than speak and remove all doubt”

Such mixed feelings about today’s totally unnecessary post. Great she’s feeling great but it just comes over as smug. Also, her immense happiness has to be measured with her recognising her huge huge privilege, but it’s not, as always. Imagine you are a single mum, in a tit house with no money worried about how you’re going to afford maternity leave. Or maybe you’re in an ok place but your partner is straight back to work and you’re struggling to recover from birth, or your partner is a dick, you have no support. I could go on and on and on and on. She has ZERO clue. I don’t see how her post is helpful to anyone, no one needs to know but she can’t help oversharing

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Such mixed feelings about today’s totally unnecessary post. Great she’s feeling great but it just comes over as smug. Also, her immense happiness has to be measured with her recognising her huge huge privilege, but it’s not, as always. Imagine you are a single mum, in a tit house with no money worried about how you’re going to afford maternity leave. Or maybe you’re in an ok place but your partner is straight back to work and you’re struggling to recover from birth, or your partner is a dick, you have no support. I could go on and on and on and on. She has ZERO clue. I don’t see how her post is helpful to anyone, no one needs to know but she can’t help oversharing
sad thing is, it’s not just poverty stricken single mums who aren’t getting paid mat leave.

It’s also hard working mums in “good” jobs whose income haven’t gone up as quickly as inflation, who are being hit with rising costs but aren’t eligible for the little help there is available. Who have maybe suffered difficult births because the NHS is so overstretched. Who won’t enjoy post natal classes or baby support provisions because local services and support has been cut by councils after decades of austerity and in the midst of a cost of living crisis. They might be worried about going back to work because the childcare costs are astronomical. Depression, illness and struggling to cope are all directly linked to poverty - of which more and more of the U.K. is entering into, even hard working people, educated people. People more hard working and educated than Em.

she doesn’t have to worry about work, or ever returning to it because let’s face it - she never really started. She doesn’t have to stress about her body because she knows she’s got the time and money to invest in however much exercise she feels like. She can afford the best, most convenient food she wants. She lives in a pretty big house next to tons of amenities. So of course she’s going to find it easier than most mothers, because most people don’t benefit from all of that.

her husband is relatively well off, but even if he wasn’t - she has two very wealthy parents. Em will never have to stress about not paying the mortgage, because if the worst came to pass and she found herself alone and in poverty - she could run to Frances who has a few spare rooms knocking about in an idyllic part of the country, and who is probably already on hand to be nanny (although sadly this will mean leaving her professional trolling on Em’s behalf and online bullying campaigns behind, maybe).

the reason she got so many “negative” comments is because birthing a child and having a new born is extremely difficult for the vast majority of women, even the middle classes now. She is part of a small, small minority who are worry free and, sorry, but to me - it’s smug and tone deaf af to post that. She looks like an utter tool.

it’s great she’s not struggling, good for her. But it’s the astounding lack of humility and self awareness that gets to me. Enjoy your life Em, lord knows you haven’t earned a jot of it but hey, you’ve got to take what life throws at you.

why providence decided to bestow wealth, influence and good fortune on the underwhelming specimen that is Emily Clarkson, I will never understand.

she literally comes across like such an idiot;

83954550-94CF-4B69-8166-DB2E29327576.jpeg

“GUYS pregnancy is a PIECE OF PISS just be like me and sell improve and run to mum at every inconvenience PARTICULARLY if you’re povo.. as ✌WANKY ✌as this sounds just FIND RICHER PARENTS and mooch off their success like me. What a babe (I am. I love me 😘)”

Not to mention that a pregnant woman with HG in a ‘normal’ job wouldn’t have had the luxury of just deciding not to work with no consequence because they were feeling rough, they’d have had to continue going to work or had a level of absence that would have exhausted company sick pay at most organisations that offer it, and potentially had to start their maternity leave early so spending the first weeks of that time not even with their baby here yet and the timer already ticking down to the unpaid part.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Not to mention that a pregnant woman with HG in a ‘normal’ job wouldn’t have had the luxury of just deciding not to work with no consequence because they were feeling rough, they’d have had to continue going to work or had a level of absence that would have exhausted company sick pay at most organisations that offer it, and potentially had to start their maternity leave early so spending the first weeks of that time not even with their baby here yet and the timer already ticking down to the unpaid part.
yep. I doubt Em is even aware of that concern of most pregnant women; if you take off sick leave too close to your due date, it can “kick start”’your mat leave.

ive watched some exhausted and unwell pregnant women suffer through illness at work because of it. these were educated, fairly well paid women in office jobs as well. Some of them at least had supportive managers who let them WFH and take it easy. But it’s luck of the draw if your manager is understanding and supportive, and if you’re allowed to WFH.

She hasn’t got a clue how the vast majority of women live. And great for her, one less woman struggling to navigate their way through life. But Jesus, I wish she’d take a back seat and stop lecturing us all as if she has any right to, or has the vaguest idea of the realities of life.

Very good point!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.