Emetophobia - any fellow sufferers? What do you do to cope?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Currently in a minor state of panic. Not feeling 100% has been mentioned by my daughter and now I'm firmly on edge. Trying to stay positive and stay calm...
How's everyone else getting on?

Have you been going to hypnotherapy still? It's so hot today it could very well be the heat (completely understand that doesn't help).

My emet is the worst its ever been, I could easily not leave the house at all and my anxiety is so bad that my mum has had to stay with me a few nights this week

Have you been going to hypnotherapy still? It's so hot today it could very well be the heat (completely understand that doesn't help).

My emet is the worst its ever been, I could easily not leave the house at all and my anxiety is so bad that my mum has had to stay with me a few nights this week
I had to stop the hypnotherapy as I just couldn't give it the dedication it needed. I am now on the waiting list to try CBT again though, hopefully I get seen soon and that helps.
Thankfully things were OK last night. I did have a couple of wines to calm my nerves but I couldn't eat dinner as my appetite just vanished.

Oh gosh, that's tough. You will get through this though. It's so hard to deal with at the time and we can all sympathise with what toyre going through. Hopefully your mum being with you helps. Has something kicked it into high gear?
My husband is off again for 2 nights next week and I'm already nervous.

My mum was meant to be having my toddler tomorrow for a couple of days to give me a break and I’ve been looking forward to it for weeks and weeks.

she’s just phoned to say she’s got a tummy bug and is throwing up so it’s cancelled. I’m bloody desvestated as that’s all I was looking forward to.

but I’m also panicking because she was round mine yesterday kissing and hugging us both. But she wasnt sick till 8am this morning.

do you guys think I’m in the clear? She said she felt fine all yesterday

My mum was meant to be having my toddler tomorrow for a couple of days to give me a break and I’ve been looking forward to it for weeks and weeks.

she’s just phoned to say she’s got a tummy bug and is throwing up so it’s cancelled. I’m bloody desvestated as that’s all I was looking forward to.

but I’m also panicking because she was round mine yesterday kissing and hugging us both. But she wasnt sick till 8am this morning.

do you guys think I’m in the clear? She said she felt fine all yesterday
Hey, I've been on holiday so didn't see your post. How are you doing? I hope you've all been OK and you didn't come down with thr bug 🤞

Yeah, I’m not feeling good about school restarting either. We have a big family wedding in a couple of weeks, and I am already catastrophising about missing it because one of us gets ill.

I'm getting paranoid about all the kids getting back together. Keeping fingers crossed for us all xx

Met up with a friend today and she said her family had a bug at the start of the holidays...so why on earth is my stupid brain trying to set into panic mode?? It was 5/6 weeks ago. I hate this fear so much. Praying the waiting list for the CBT isn't too long, I'm desperate to get some level of control over these horrible feelings.

Just seen on Facebook that there's a big in the tear below my daughter at school. Panic has ensued....😫 How's everyone else getting on?!

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I went to america last week with my friend and she’s just tested positive for covid. We flew home on Monday. So I’m waiting for it to get me now and I am absolutely wrecked with nerves as I had Covid in April this year and threw up with it. I don’t know what caused the vomiting, maybe the high temperature? But it scared me so much and now I’ve got it in my head that if I test positive again, it’s going to be identical again.

I went to america last week with my friend and she’s just tested positive for covid. We flew home on Monday. So I’m waiting for it to get me now and I am absolutely wrecked with nerves as I had Covid in April this year and threw up with it. I don’t know what caused the vomiting, maybe the high temperature? But it scared me so much and now I’ve got it in my head that if I test positive again, it’s going to be identical again.
I had covid 2times and no sick~I hope you don't get covid full stop x

Just seen on Facebook that there's a big in the tear below my daughter at school. Panic has ensued....😫 How's everyone else getting on?!
My trigger is on one,I'm walking through with trepidation,I hate this time of year ~ I bought Lizzie loves charcoal sachets,any sniff of anything and that's a staple, the charcoal absorbs the toxins, etc therefore reduces,eliminating symptoms. Sending strength to all feeling fearful xx

Quoting myself to acknowledge my awful typos! 🙈

I aso had covid without sickness, hopefully you won't get covid or any sickness 🤞

My trigger is on one,I'm walking through with trepidation,I hate this time of year ~ I bought Lizzie loves charcoal sachets,any sniff of anything and that's a staple, the charcoal absorbs the toxins, etc therefore reduces,eliminating symptoms. Sending strength to all feeling fearful xx
[/QUOTE]
Isn't it awful, the kids going back is the worst. Keeping everything crossed for all of us xx

Hello, didn't realise this thread existed. I've been emetophobic since childhood, partly a control thing, partly because I had a mother who screamed bloody murder at me every time I had even a slight bit of sickness 😬 . I've popped my experience below under a spoiler tag in case anyone isn't in the mood:

It got really bad when I was about 16, so I saw the college's counsellor- she chatted to me about possible root causes and how to rationalise what would happen if I started throwing up or someone else did etc. That really helped and it hasn't gotten as bad since. I always get a bit anxious around norovirus season but I can just about manage.

People were talking earlier in the thread about exposure etc. I found that when I was in the thick of the anxiety with the phobia that I couldn't tolerate watching any videos of vomiting (real or otherwise) at all and I'd have to turn it off. As things have gotten better I can tolerate more exposure, but it's more that the anxiety improving that helps me tolerate it, not the exposure that helps with the anxiety if that makes sense?

I cleaned up cat sick the other week and no one died, the world did not end. Likewise, I was being sick a few months ago because of illness and it eventually got better even though it was horrible at the time. Over the years I've found that actually throwing up can take me out of the anxiety of it. at least for a bit, as I realise it's not always as bad as in my head. I do worry about having to take care of others who are unwell. I literally cannot understand how nurses and other healthcare professionals do it. They should be being paid millions.

Hello, didn't realise this thread existed. I've been emetophobic since childhood, partly a control thing, partly because I had a mother who screamed bloody murder at me every time I had even a slight bit of sickness 😬 . I've popped my experience below under a spoiler tag in case anyone isn't in the mood:

It got really bad when I was about 16, so I saw the college's counsellor- she chatted to me about possible root causes and how to rationalise what would happen if I started throwing up or someone else did etc. That really helped and it hasn't gotten as bad since. I always get a bit anxious around norovirus season but I can just about manage.

People were talking earlier in the thread about exposure etc. I found that when I was in the thick of the anxiety with the phobia that I couldn't tolerate watching any videos of vomiting (real or otherwise) at all and I'd have to turn it off. As things have gotten better I can tolerate more exposure, but it's more that the anxiety improving that helps me tolerate it, not the exposure that helps with the anxiety if that makes sense?

I cleaned up cat sick the other week and no one died, the world did not end. Likewise, I was being sick a few months ago because of illness and it eventually got better even though it was horrible at the time. Over the years I've found that actually throwing up can take me out of the anxiety of it. at least for a bit, as I realise it's not always as bad as in my head. I do worry about having to take care of others who are unwell. I literally cannot understand how nurses and other healthcare professionals do it. They should be being paid millions.
Thanks for your story, I'm glad to see things have improved for you. I'm currently waiting for CBT to see if that can help me, u just want to be able to cope.

I've woken up so anxious and I feel a bit miserable with it. I wish I hadn't seen that post yesterday so I was none the wiser. I'm so worried that this bug will go round the school. I hate this feeling so much.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thought I'd check in and see how everyone is getting on.
I'm still on the waiting list for CBT and my hubby is away at the moment so I'm on high alert.
Hope you're all doing OK xx

• Heart
How's everyone doing? My anxiety seems constant at the moment and I'm struggling to relax. It doesn't help that a number of kids weren't in school today...hope everyone else is having an easier time xx

Nope I'm a wreck. My mental health is at all all time low. I'm just waiting for it
Have you thought about trying to see your GP? I know the situation with them is dire but they may be able to get you some help quicker? It's got to be worth a try if you're really struggling. I'm finding some days harder than others at the moment and sometimes I'm convinced it's going to happen.
I've been on the CBT wait list for 5 months now, average wait is 6-9 months so hoping I get something soon.

Hang in there and please come here if you need to chat, we all know how hard this is to cope with xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 2