Emetophobia - any fellow sufferers? What do you do to cope?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
without getting into a debate about the NHS, although it is a wonderful organisation it is also seriously underfunded and woefully under resourced and stretched to the absolute limit. Mental health services in particular are stretched beyond measure; you have to wait for a long to time be referred to see a counsellor/therapist etc - months, sometimes even years on a waiting list.
Agreed, I had to wait several months but you are monitored in that time (at least with the self referral I was) with a weekly check list about how you're feeling so you're not forgotten about in that time. It's worthwhile getting the ball rolling to get help.

I've suffered with emetophobia as long as I can remember and I'm 30 now, I've decided to finally get help and have booked my first hypnotherapy appointment after seeing the recommendation on this thread. It takes over my life and to make things worse I work in a hospital (only as admin) but I'm constantly on high alert in case I see or hear anyone being sick. Thankfully I'm not too phased by being sick myself (which is lucky really as I had Hypermesis Gravidarum in my pregnancy 3 years ago which means I was sick constantly for almost the whole 9 months) but other people being sick near me absolutely terrifies me.

I have a 3 year old daughter who I feel like I'm failing because I can't be there for her properly when she's unwell. She caught her first bug in July and luckily it was fairly mild/short lived but I basically abandoned her and hid upstairs while my fiance cared for her and cleaned up after her :( it makes me feel so guilty which is why I'm trying the hypnotherapy now. It's a very debilitating phobia but it's nice to know I'm not alone

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've suffered with emetophobia as long as I can remember and I'm 30 now, I've decided to finally get help and have booked my first hypnotherapy appointment after seeing the recommendation on this thread. It takes over my life and to make things worse I work in a hospital (only as admin) but I'm constantly on high alert in case I see or hear anyone being sick. Thankfully I'm not too phased by being sick myself (which is lucky really as I had Hypermesis Gravidarum in my pregnancy 3 years ago which means I was sick constantly for almost the whole 9 months) but other people being sick near me absolutely terrifies me.

I have a 3 year old daughter who I feel like I'm failing because I can't be there for her properly when she's unwell. She caught her first bug in July and luckily it was fairly mild/short lived but I basically abandoned her and hid upstairs while my fiance cared for her and cleaned up after her :( it makes me feel so guilty which is why I'm trying the hypnotherapy now. It's a very debilitating phobia but it's nice to know I'm not alone
Please come back and tell us how you get on. I'm seriously considering hypnotherapy.
I can totally sympathise with the guilt, I had to abandon my daughter in a hospital waiting room (with my husband of course!) because I was so frightened one of the other kids would start being ill. It's just so life consuming isn't it.
I really hope the hypnotherapy is a success for you!

Reactions: 1
I'm in a situation whereby my daughter has told me 2 kids were ill at school today...any tips for coping with the anxiety?!

I don’t have any tips but I totally know how you feel. I went to a playgroup with my 5 month old baby the other day (forced by my mum. I didn’t even wanna go!!) and one of the mums there said her whole house was struck with a bug at the weekend.

I overheard it and since then I’ve been clock watching making sure we are in the safe zone time wise. It’s exhausting

had to go to hospital yesterday for an allergic reaction and threw up like 4 times, I have such a phobia of being sick but I got through it 😪💔 keep playing it over in my mind though

I don’t have any tips but I totally know how you feel. I went to a playgroup with my 5 month old baby the other day (forced by my mum. I didn’t even wanna go!!) and one of the mums there said her whole house was struck with a bug at the weekend.

I overheard it and since then I’ve been clock watching making sure we are in the safe zone time wise. It’s exhausting
That's why I avoided baby groups when my daughter was small! Totally sympathise with you!
Whats the safe zone?
I hate being on so on edge so much, this is the worst feeling. I'm not going to sleep and feel like crap tomorrow 😭

had to go to hospital yesterday for an allergic reaction and threw up like 4 times, I have such a phobia of being sick but I got through it 😪💔 keep playing it over in my mind though
It's just the worst isn't it 😢

That's why I avoided baby groups when my daughter was small! Totally sympathise with you!
Whats the safe zone?
I hate being on so on edge so much, this is the worst feeling. I'm not going to sleep and feel like crap tomorrow 😭

It's just the worst isn't it 😢
The safe zone for me is working out how many hours until I won’t come down with it. I read online it can take 72 hours for a bug to take effect.

I've suffered emetophobia for years. I've let it affect my life in that I don't drink alcohol, eat chicken cooked by others etc. For a while, in my early 20s, I wouldn't leave the house as I was constantly panicking that I was going to be sick.

What I can say is that I am nearly cured... the cure was chemotherapy so I don't recommend that 🤣 I was sick several times a day for 4 months straight. It just became second nature so my brain now realises being sick isn't actually that bad. I'm nearly cured as I still hate seeing others being sick. I dread the day my kids get a sick bug 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I've suffered emetophobia for years. I've let it affect my life in that I don't drink alcohol, eat chicken cooked by others etc. For a while, in my early 20s, I wouldn't leave the house as I was constantly panicking that I was going to be sick.

What I can say is that I am nearly cured... the cure was chemotherapy so I don't recommend that 🤣 I was sick several times a day for 4 months straight. It just became second nature so my brain now realises being sick isn't actually that bad. I'm nearly cured as I still hate seeing others being sick. I dread the day my kids get a sick bug 😭
Oh gosh, poor you. I'm so sorry you had to go through chemo, I wish there had been a better way for you to have some help getting cured.
Totally sympathise with your feelings about chicken and alcohol - I do drink, but not to an excess.

We had a kid's party yesterday and one of my daughter's friends was there who has just had a bug, he didn't look 100% to me...although that was probably the phobia making me think that. I wanted to just run away from all the kids but I had to ride it out for my daughter. We've got another party this weekend but thankfully it's an outside one so lots of fresh air between the kids!

My youngest has a sickness bug 😭😭😭 my partner is working so yours truly has been carer today. Absolutely exhausted and full of anxiety for the night ahead.

My youngest has a sickness bug 😭😭😭 my partner is working so yours truly has been carer today. Absolutely exhausted and full of anxiety for the night ahead.
Take deep breaths and keep a window open if you can (weird, but cold air coming through helps me for some reason if I feel funny)

I am dreading these days. My baby is only 5 months old and I am on my own 48 weeks of the year due to husbands deployments and stuff. Apart from the odd day or two.

you will be fine x

Oh gosh, I missed your post, sorry! I hope you have been ok! It's awful isn't it. Fingers crossed your little one is on the mend and feeling better. I always try and tell myself "this too shall pass" but it's nigh on impossible to see that when you're going through it isn't it.

I'm very similar, I eat meat but I can't eat chicken because I'm terrified it'll be under cooked, and you won't ever catch me touching it.
Ugh, I hate when people behave like I'm being dramatic about not liking it. Why can't people understand it's a real, genuine fear? No one calls people who are scared of flying dramatic do they!
Oh they do call nervous flyers dramatic, believe me. 😩 I used to be scared of flying, thankfully now overcome that one.

Until an individual suffers with a chronic phobia, few people understand what they are like. Similar with panic attacks. The worn out response of “snap out of it” or “your life is one big drama” just make you feel like tit even more. No wonder people are afraid to speak out when you hear responses like that. 😩

I'll never eat chicken from a restaurant because of my emetophobia. From experience a lot of restaurants don't cook chicken thoroughly enough imo and i've been ill from uncooked chicken from an Italian. If I cook a whole chicken at home i'll add an extra 10-15 minutes onto the cooking time and get my partner to check it's cooked too.
I have a huge fear of Noro and this time of year always puts me on edge - makes me want to wear a mask for this reason!
I've had Noro many many years ago (an entire wedding party caught it) It is a very extreme bug but it usually doesn't last long.
My big thing is panic attacks and being unable to breathe if I think i'm going to be poorly.
I do exactly the same thing when it comes to cooking chicken. I would rather eat an overdone chicken than have anything semi-raw.

Oh this thread triggered me last week 😅I'm a die hard completely all consumed emtophobe. If there was a risk assessor job out there
For assessing risk re vomiting,and factors to reduce anything to do with it and it being anywhere near me,I'd be the best risk assessor around.

keeping this positive,im a mum with a 7year old and a 2year old.Im
Older because my phobia almost stopped me having any children,morning sickness fear,children fear. I never went on trips with
School,never drank,didn't party because 20/20induced vomiting wasn't for me. I have never been on a girls holiday,have done a couple of hen parties,had to have my own room,a safe space to retreat too,didn't do sleep overs.
I did enjoy life with trepidation eventually,my independence allowed me to flight from any situation I found threatening. I learnt what was more triggering for me over the years and
I've had hypnotherapy,counselling,and not much has helped but life exposure has eventually helped a little and so Damn proud I fought hard to overcome fears with having children. I have the same problems with food
,won't order chicken or rice dishes,won't let anyone cook meat for me,have to cook for my family,I wear disposable gloves to touch raw meat,I don't use by use by dates ,that's too far gone for my head. Meat is a trigger yes,other people feeding my kids is, car journeys are without screens and books,my kids won't get travel sick,if my littles don't want breakfast I know something is up,I wouldn't send to school,because car journeys trigger me big time not being able to run away.
I'd never leave my child though I'd just really struggle through.
I have a special kit
With a bucket special cleaning fluid disinfectant,mask etc for emergencies,i stay away from crowded places and soft plays unless it's a quiet time,planes are scary,i have
My head
Phones for escape,vics
For nose,eye mask for escape. I could write a book. And
Reality of life im
V
Lucky that
My risk prevention and careful ways do keep me away from my fear as in it's a rare situation. I don't dislike the
Way I am either and lucky for me my husband is also very cautious too,and we muddle through it
All. He takes over if I need to escape for a second then I compose myself and carry on. Also in the midst of a tummy upset etc i always try to remember it's nearly over if it's begun. I could go on for days. The thread and how people cope was actually very interesting so I just put a few down for me,but honestly it's so intertwined in To my life I didn't realise how much I'm still controlled by the phobia x love to all here x

Oh this thread triggered me last week 😅I'm a die hard completely all consumed emtophobe. If there was a risk assessor job out there
For assessing risk re vomiting,and factors to reduce anything to do with it and it being anywhere near me,I'd be the best risk assessor around.

keeping this positive,im a mum with a 7year old and a 2year old.Im
Older because my phobia almost stopped me having any children,morning sickness fear,children fear. I never went on trips with
School,never drank,didn't party because 20/20induced vomiting wasn't for me. I have never been on a girls holiday,have done a couple of hen parties,had to have my own room,a safe space to retreat too,didn't do sleep overs.
I did enjoy life with trepidation eventually,my independence allowed me to flight from any situation I found threatening. I learnt what was more triggering for me over the years and
I've had hypnotherapy,counselling,and not much has helped but life exposure has eventually helped a little and so Damn proud I fought hard to overcome fears with having children. I have the same problems with food
,won't order chicken or rice dishes,won't let anyone cook meat for me,have to cook for my family,I wear disposable gloves to touch raw meat,I don't use by use by dates ,that's too far gone for my head. Meat is a trigger yes,other people feeding my kids is, car journeys are without screens and books,my kids won't get travel sick,if my littles don't want breakfast I know something is up,I wouldn't send to school,because car journeys trigger me big time not being able to run away.
I'd never leave my child though I'd just really struggle through.
I have a special kit
With a bucket special cleaning fluid disinfectant,mask etc for emergencies,i stay away from crowded places and soft plays unless it's a quiet time,planes are scary,i have
My head
Phones for escape,vics
For nose,eye mask for escape. I could write a book. And
Reality of life im
V
Lucky that
My risk prevention and careful ways do keep me away from my fear as in it's a rare situation. I don't dislike the
Way I am either and lucky for me my husband is also very cautious too,and we muddle through it
All. He takes over if I need to escape for a second then I compose myself and carry on. Also in the midst of a tummy upset etc i always try to remember it's nearly over if it's begun. I could go on for days. The thread and how people cope was actually very interesting so I just put a few down for me,but honestly it's so intertwined in To my life I didn't realise how much I'm still controlled by the phobia x love to all here x
I can relate to an awful lot of what you've detailed here, but there is some that is more extreme. I'm glad you feel proud that you managed to have your kids despite living with such a phobia, you should! I'm also glad that you are happy. I absolutely hate my emetephobia, how it makes me feel and how it makes me behave. It would be nice to be at peace with it if I can't get rid of it xx

• Heart
I can relate to an awful lot of what you've detailed here, but there is some that is more extreme. I'm glad you feel proud that you managed to have your kids despite living with such a phobia, you should! I'm also glad that you are happy. I absolutely hate my emetephobia, how it makes me feel and how it makes me behave. It would be nice to be at peace with it if I can't get rid of it xx
Thank you-I'm pretty set in my ways now though ,it's not ideal,i am happy every day,mindfulness helps,it's not always been easy to say that. I am without a doubt controlled by the phobia -it makes me
Definitely controlling-if I really think in depth,I've learnt to mask and hide and divert allot of thoughts and feelings xx my little girl has a fear over our dog or animals in general being sick,cats with hairballs,owls regurgitate so that's put her off them. I don't have any concern with animals at all,I always wanted to be a vet when I was growing up. I absolutely hate the idea I may have contributed to this fear,I never ever share my phobia,she knows I'm cautious,fresh food etc,but her fear caused her to cover her ears if she feels vulnerable. Absolutely gutting to see,she's ok,depends how anxious she is,I noticed this was a big problem towards the end of lock down and never ever before. Out of nowhere-but the year of home learning had some kind of anxiety effect on my daughter. And it came out very very strangely ☹Now she's back with her fiends in a school setting her worries are no where near as bad. Is that inherited from me?have I influenced her fear? Questions I've wondered lately x

Thank you-I'm pretty set in my ways now though ,it's not ideal,i am happy every day,mindfulness helps,it's not always been easy to say that. I am without a doubt controlled by the phobia -it makes me
Definitely controlling-if I really think in depth,I've learnt to mask and hide and divert allot of thoughts and feelings xx my little girl has a fear over our dog or animals in general being sick,cats with hairballs,owls regurgitate so that's put her off them. I don't have any concern with animals at all,I always wanted to be a vet when I was growing up. I absolutely hate the idea I may have contributed to this fear,I never ever share my phobia,she knows I'm cautious,fresh food etc,but her fear caused her to cover her ears if she feels vulnerable. Absolutely gutting to see,she's ok,depends how anxious she is,I noticed this was a big problem towards the end of lock down and never ever before. Out of nowhere-but the year of home learning had some kind of anxiety effect on my daughter. And it came out very very strangely ☹Now she's back with her fiends in a school setting her worries are no where near as bad. Is that inherited from me?have I influenced her fear? Questions I've wondered lately x
I mean, I'm no professional of course, but I doubt it's from you if you have tried to keep your fear from her. I've done the same as I couldn't bear to pass this on to my kids. It sounds like she's coping better being back at school so that's a positive. I'm the same, cautious in front of my kids but I explain it's good hygiene and being sensible - which it is, we don't eat food that's dropped on the floor and we wash our hands when we come in from school for example. I would never show my true worries in front of them, just as you wouldn't xx

• Heart
I am emetophobic and currently living in a nightmare. Youngest got the dreaded stomach bug 3 weeks ago. Then exactly one week later she was sick again. The next day I had the worst diarrhoea of my life. The next day my eldest was sick. Then exactly a week later I had the shits again and was scarily close to being sick. Now this morning, 2 weeks later my youngest has been sick again. When does it end! I'm too scared to sleep!