Emetophobia - any fellow sufferers? What do you do to cope?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just found this thread and I relate so much to it and everyone’s experiences. I’ve never considered myself to be emetophobic, especially since having kids because I can deal with them being sick quite well, but I have a lot of anxiety around it - it’s like waiting for them to be sick when they’re a bit peaky is worse than when they actually are sick. Also if one is ill, I’m then on edge waiting for the other one, myself or my partner to catch it.

I hate being sick myself too and will do anything to avoid it, even if it means feeling extremely nauseous for a long time when actually being sick would probably give me some relief.

These are things I do when I’m feeling sick or just feeling some anxiety around it;

Distraction - mainly watching ‘comforting’ films or TV programs I’ve seen loads of times before, usually rom coms or sitcoms. I tend to do this more at night time when I find my anxiety is worse

Mints, chewing gum or boiled sweets - I keep some in my bedside table and my handbag just in case I ever feel a bit queasy and find a lot of the time they do help

Fresh air - I keep my bedroom window open pretty much all year round, if I’m feeling really anxious/nauseous I’ll stand by a window (or outside if I can) and take some deep breaths and try to ground myself

Breathing techniques - I concentrate on my breathing, I’ll count to 4 as I breathe in, count to 2 as I hold my breath and count to 4 as I breathe out. I’m pretty sure I read these specific timings as being useful somewhere ages ago which is why I use them but I don’t think it’s medically approved as such 😂

Travel sickness tablets - I don’t use this all the time but we occasionally have these in the house because my partner gets travel sick when he’s a passenger in a car (but this isn’t often!) I find that when I know they’re in the house, I feel less anxious in general because I could take one if I feel sick and it would probably help. Just writing this down is making me want to buy some, ‘just in case’

I’m sure most of you use these techniques already because we all find our own coping mechanisms but thought I’d share my tips anyway 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 4
This condition took over my life as a child and teenager and I still get so nervous everytime someone says they are sick.

I generally try and keep busy and this might sound mad but I repeat constantly that I’m strong and well and not going to be sick.

People can have their views but self belief for me is important.

Hugs to everyone to suffers.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
@Izzyt88 thank you for those tips, I hadn't thought of the mints but I think I'll do that. I'm also a windows open all year round person - well as much as I can!

I got about an hours sleep last night if that, I just couldn't switch off the worry. I had to pull my duvet up over my head because even hearing the kids move in bed makes me worried. There's still kids off school today i think, and my daughter's teacher & our lollipop lady are off, this really makes me uneasy.
I've just booked for a call back from my GP because I feel like the anxiety is getting out of control and I'm feeling really miserable. Hopefully she can help me 🤞

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Half of me is really pleased to have found this thread, and the other half regrets it, as my anxiety about being sick is through the roof now.

I have had this phobia since I was a child. I asked my GP for medication, and he prescribed me Prochlorperazine 3mg Buccal Tablets. I haven't had to use them for a while but when I have felt sick in the past, I take one of those (dissolve it under your upper lip and try and distract myself. I agree with standing outside in the freezing cold is very helpful. Breathing in cold air helps, and if it's summer you can also use the fridge or freezer to get a blast of coolness.

I feel for anyone who has this debilitating phobia. I have been known to faint when my children were sick, that's how bad it is.

I'm off to distract myself now.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I haven’t read through the thread, so I apologise if it has already been answered. However, I’m looking for advice regarding my 10yo who suffers from this. Is progressively getting worse the older she gets. Mainly evolves with others being sick. Does anyone know how I can offer any advice on how I can help her cope, as i know it can be very debilitating the same older you get & I want to be able to help early on. Thank you

Half of me is really pleased to have found this thread, and the other half regrets it, as my anxiety about being sick is through the roof now.

I have had this phobia since I was a child. I asked my GP for medication, and he prescribed me Prochlorperazine 3mg Buccal Tablets. I haven't had to use them for a while but when I have felt sick in the past, I take one of those (dissolve it under your upper lip and try and distract myself. I agree with standing outside in the freezing cold is very helpful. Breathing in cold air helps, and if it's summer you can also use the fridge or freezer to get a blast of coolness.

I feel for anyone who has this debilitating phobia. I have been known to faint when my children were sick, that's how bad it is.

I'm off to distract myself now.
Oh I'm sorry we've triggered you! Hopefully it might be helpful to know you have people to talk to if things get difficult x

I haven’t read through the thread, so I apologise if it has already been answered. However, I’m looking for advice regarding my 10yo who suffers from this. Is progressively getting worse the older she gets. Mainly evolves with others being sick. Does anyone know how I can offer any advice on how I can help her cope, as i know it can be very debilitating the same older you get & I want to be able to help early on. Thank you
Oh gosh, I really feel for her. It's very difficult to offer advice, but if my 6 year old is poorly I just tell her it's her body doing what it's got to do. I keep reassuring her that's she doing great and that she will be over it soon. However, I guess this is more for her to stop her getting my fear...
As a sufferer, to be honest, not a lot helps me. I have tried telling myself to stop worrying, to stop wasting your time worrying about something you can't control, but it's just not that simple. I would try and get her some professional help to see if she can get the phobia under control early. I've suffered for around 35years and it's not getting easier. One thing I would say is don't ever dismiss this phobia (I'm sure you don't) . People always say "oh I don't like being ill either" but it's waaaaay much more than not liking it. I'm sorry I can't offer more - I mean, I created the thread to try and get coping tips because it's just so hard. I really, really hope your daughter can get it under control soon xx

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Looking back, being dismissed/not understood/ supported didn't help,had I have had this it may have helped,and knowing of there being other people who felt the same,that it was a thing,and I wasn't weird,would of also been amazing too -so much help out there also therapy etc now,as much support as possible and she will become stronger than the fear I'm sure x

I just had the most relieving talk with my GP! I was so sure she was going to dismiss me and tell me to sit tight for the CBT to come through, but she actually listened to me and acknowledged there's more that needs to be dealt with.

I urge anyone who is finding things are getting too much to talk to your doctor - and if they don't listen, ask to speak with a different doctor. I'm going to be starting some medication for the worsening anxiety, and my doctor is going to get in touch with the CBT team I self referred to and ask them to try and get me through to therapy sooner. There is help out there, please don't suffer in silence xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I just had the most relieving talk with my GP! I was so sure she was going to dismiss me and tell me to sit tight for the CBT to come through, but she actually listened to me and acknowledged there's more that needs to be dealt with.

I urge anyone who is finding things are getting too much to talk to your doctor - and if they don't listen, ask to speak with a different doctor. I'm going to be starting some medication for the worsening anxiety, and my doctor is going to get in touch with the CBT team I self referred to and ask them to try and get me through to therapy sooner. There is help out there, please don't suffer in silence xx
I'm so pleased to hear this

• Heart
I'm so pleased to hear this
Thank you, I feel so relieved. It's not an instant fix and it's definitely not a cure for the phobia, but it's a step in the right direction to being able to live with it. And I've been able to eat & drink for the first time in about 18 hours as well, much to my husband's relief.

Oh my goodness, I've just had a call for CBT, I'm crying tears of happiness over here! I'm not saying this to brag at all, but I'm showing anyone who needs help that it will come.

Please speak up, help is available for those who are desperate xxx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
My 17 month old is walking around doing sicky burps this morning.
He’s got continued silent reflux so I’m not too worried but they sound disgusting.

I am so mentally and physically drained and burnt out I can’t cope this is awful

• Heart
My 17 month old is walking around doing sicky burps this morning.
He’s got continued silent reflux so I’m not too worried but they sound disgusting.

I am so mentally and physically drained and burnt out I can’t cope this is awful
It's not helpful when kids do things that trigger us is it - I know it's not on purpose, but it's just something else isn't it. I totally get that drained feeling, it makes everything so much harder doesn't it.
Have you talked to anyone about how you're feeling?

Glad to see this thread, I’ve had a quick skim through.
I’m not too bothered about people being sick in my presence.
I’m just always very anxious when sickness bugs go around and will limit going out, bleach everything etc.
My worse thing is actually being sick. I can’t physically do it. I even had two pregnancies and I wasn’t sick in them. My son had a sickness bug when he was 5 month old and that was the first time I was sick in 13 years. I now haven’t been sick for about 8 years. I have felt sick plenty of times and been poorly but I’ve got to the point that I know how to kind of keep it from coming up after the horrible watery mouth thing. Which I think makes me feel worse as I’m suppressing the need to expel! No one else can understand my phobia but it’s such a cause of constant anxiety I always have to have mints or chewing gum as they’re like my safety blanket if I ever feel a bit poorly.
Luckily my kids who are 7 & 11 are proper pros when it comes to being sick and just sort themselves out, they don’t make a big deal of it at all! They’ve not been sicky kids either luckily. I’d still call my mum now if I was sick.

• Heart
I’m glad this thread exists. Im panicking today.

Im alone with my toddler who is VERY active. My parents who I call on a lot are on holiday, I’ve got no one else and I’ve had a bad upset tummy 3 times today. And now of course that’s made me feel ropey and scared I’ve got a bug.

Fucks sake, honestly this exhausts me too much.
im sure im ok and it’s just tiredness or because I had a greasy meal last night.
I’ve taken an anti sickness tablet and a propranolol

• Heart
I’m glad this thread exists. Im panicking today.

Im alone with my toddler who is VERY active. My parents who I call on a lot are on holiday, I’ve got no one else and I’ve had a bad upset tummy 3 times today. And now of course that’s made me feel ropey and scared I’ve got a bug.

Fucks sake, honestly this exhausts me too much.
im sure im ok and it’s just tiredness or because I had a greasy meal last night.
I’ve taken an anti sickness tablet and a propranolol
I'm sorry I didn't see your post yesterday. I hope you're doing OK. It's so hard to be rational isn't it and your mind just jumps to the worst all the time. Hopefully you got some decent rest last night and you feel better this morning. It's absolutely exhausting isn't it.

I finally started my anxiety medication yesterday. I put it off because one of the side effects can be an upset tummy which panicked me. Spent all night last night after taking the first one awake worrying about not feeling well 🙄 ugh, it's so hard isn't it. I'm persevering and have taken it this morning instead so hopefully tonight will be better and I'll feel the effects soon.

Maybe give your Dr a call and have a chat, or self refer for some therapy? There's options out there of help to deal with this, we don't have to go it alone xx

Thank you xx

Honestly I just feel like I’m going from bad to worse right now. My parents are on a short 4 night break away abroad (4 hours by plane). And they fly home tomorrow afternoon but mum text me earlier to say dad had thrown up a few times. My dad hasn’t vomited in over 30 years!! So this was a shock and in my head I’m thinking it must be something bad (contagious) for him to vomit.

Now I’m worried my mum is gonna get whatever it is and they’ve gotta fly home tomorrow. And I’m staying at their house on Friday night for a firework party local (obvs I just won’t go if they both feel unwell). But I’m worried about my mum and dad potentially having to travel whilst unwell and then drive home from the airport. Is that silly?

In a way I’m hoping it’s just something he’s eaten so it’s not contagious but I’m so scared and nervous right now.

I'm sorry I didn't see your post yesterday. I hope you're doing OK. It's so hard to be rational isn't it and your mind just jumps to the worst all the time. Hopefully you got some decent rest last night and you feel better this morning. It's absolutely exhausting isn't it.

I finally started my anxiety medication yesterday. I put it off because one of the side effects can be an upset tummy which panicked me. Spent all night last night after taking the first one awake worrying about not feeling well 🙄 ugh, it's so hard isn't it. I'm persevering and have taken it this morning instead so hopefully tonight will be better and I'll feel the effects soon.

Maybe give your Dr a call and have a chat, or self refer for some therapy? There's options out there of help to deal with this, we don't have to go it alone xx

Thank you xx

Honestly I just feel like I’m going from bad to worse right now. My parents are on a short 4 night break away abroad (4 hours by plane). And they fly home tomorrow afternoon but mum text me earlier to say dad had thrown up a few times. My dad hasn’t vomited in over 30 years!! So this was a shock and in my head I’m thinking it must be something bad (contagious) for him to vomit.

Now I’m worried my mum is gonna get whatever it is and they’ve gotta fly home tomorrow. And I’m staying at their house on Friday night for a firework party local (obvs I just won’t go if they both feel unwell). But I’m worried about my mum and dad potentially having to travel whilst unwell and then drive home from the airport. Is that silly?

In a way I’m hoping it’s just something he’s eaten so it’s not contagious but I’m so scared and nervous right now.
I hope it's something he ate for you too. I guess it depends if your mum is poorly too. I totally get that you'd avoid going for the weekend, I would be exactly the same. It's definitely not silly to worry about them travelling, it's not silly at all.

Hopefully you've heard from them know and have a better idea of the situation. I hope it's good news 🤞 xx

I hope you are feeling ok with medication! What a fabulous step to take xxx

Thank you xx

I understand your thinking,I tend to over ask what how why's,and actually it's such a trigger,and rather than ask I just give a wide berth , I hope your family are ok but save you worrying,maybe delay your visit x

Thanks @Penny for them. It took me 2 weeks to build up to taking them! I'm not noticing any change yet but it can take about a month for them to start taking effect. Hopefully I notice a real difference 🤞 xx