Eleanor Lecocq #4 Eat, Shop, Manhunt

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If she decides to live in the US permanently and continues on the path she’s in now (re: dating with no commitment and spending like there’s no tomorrow) she’s going to have a very difficult life. Unlike most other countries the US doesn’t have financial safety nets when you’re old and unfortunately many of us (speaking from a middle class perspective) weren’t educated about investing for retirement and/or cannot afford to put away a portion of our paychecks to our 401ks because we’re too busy spending it on kids, home expenses, loan debt, etc. I’m fortunate that I’ve set up a couple IRAs and contribute to my 401K but I have friends who can’t and for some who have families to support and dont have the highest paying jobs, I don’t judge them for not being able to. I also have friends who don’t save and argue that they’ll work until they die but you can’t rely on your age and body. You never know how sick you’ll get or if you become disabled. Hell, I’m trying to do everything “perfectly” with my finances but I know if I got terminally ill I could become broke within a year or two.

Regardless about anyone’s feelings for Ginette, I do feel bad for her because it looks like she did everything right in terms of investing but she spoiled her daughter to the point where they’re both codependent on each other. Ginette should be enjoying her retirement but it seems as if she’s pissing her money away for spendthrift Elle who absolutely has no idea what she’s doing with herself.

If Elle is trying to rely on a man to support her, I’m sorry but she’s too late in the game...5 years ago she might have stood a chance but even then she’s not pretty enough (sorry) and doesn’t have the personality needed to draw these type of men. Her only shot now is to find a socially awkward, physically unattractive man who will probably be much older and is already paying alimony to his ex wife.

I also wanted to add why Elle’s 1950s Stepford wife mindset bothers me so much and I may have touched on this on GG. One of the many aspects of feminism was allowing women to work and not have to rely on men financially so that we could be independent and have more life choices. Because of our being able to work, we don’t have to worry about hoping to meet a man who makes enough to take care of us. We can escape a bad relationship or marriage if we have to. It was more difficult to do that a century ago and most likely you became a social pariah if you left your husband.

That said, there’s nothing wrong with being a kept woman and honestly, I am jealous that there are some women who don’t have to work or worry about money because their husbands make bank. But it’s a slap in the face for someone like Eleanor who likes to brag about working hard and having all these businesses when really they’re just overpriced, kiddie arts and crafts projects whilst she waits for her rich Prince Charming to walk into her life and take care of her.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I also wanted to add why Elle’s 1950s Stepford wife mindset bothers me so much and I may have touched on this on GG. One of the many aspects of feminism was allowing women to work and not have to rely on men financially so that we could be independent and have more life choices. Because of our being able to work, we don’t have to worry about hoping to meet a man who makes enough to take care of us. We can escape a bad relationship or marriage if we have to. It was more difficult to do that a century ago and most likely you became a social pariah if you left your husband.

That said, there’s nothing wrong with being a kept woman and honestly, I am jealous that there are some women who don’t have to work or worry about money because their husbands make bank. But it’s a slap in the face for someone like Eleanor who likes to brag about working hard and having all these businesses when really they’re just overpriced, kiddie arts and crafts projects whilst she waits for her rich Prince Charming to walk into her life and take care of her.
Being a kept woman is an interesting life experience, but doesn't seem to be the most fulfilling or happy judging by what I can see.

I have a few older friends who live that life and I don't know a single one whose very emotionally healthy and happy, and they all have very little in common with their spouses. And these are ladies with drivers, multiple maids, etc so life is pretty cushy. I'm sure it's much more happy and fulfilling in more equal situations. These women are all nice looking but no one is striking or modelesque and their husbands range from average to somewhat unattractive. I would imagine that if both people were very good looking, successful, with similar interests, that it'd be a much happier match but that's not a situation that Elle can be in given her circumstances.

All I know is men these days expect A LOT more and so do truly eligible women. To Elle's credit, she doesn't seem to be too picky about personality, common interests, or looks in her men but I bet she's aware of it. Doesn't sound like a fun way to live.

Elle is definitely an insult towards feminism.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Being a kept woman is an interesting life experience, but doesn't seem to be the most fulfilling or happy judging by what I can see.

I have a few older friends who live that life and I don't know a single one whose very emotionally healthy and happy, and they all have very little in common with their spouses. And these are ladies with drivers, multiple maids, etc so life is pretty cushy. I'm sure it's much more happy and fulfilling in more equal situations. These women are all nice looking but no one is striking or modelesque and their husbands range from average to somewhat unattractive. I would imagine that if both people were very good looking, successful, with similar interests, that it'd be a much happier match but that's not a situation that Elle can be in given her circumstances.

All I know is men these days expect A LOT more and so do truly eligible women. To Elle's credit, she doesn't seem to be too picky about personality, common interests, or looks in her men but I bet she's aware of it. Doesn't sound like a fun way to live.

Elle is definitely an insult towards feminism.
Personally I’m not sure if I would enjoy being kept; it seems like something fun in the beginning but long term I think it would get old fast.

I just remembered, my coworker’s ex husband is a doctor. His family isn’t generationally wealthy but he made decent money and when they got married he supported her financially and told her she didn’t have to work. She told me she had a nice jewelry collection, lots of designer purses, and a big engagement ring. Over time he became really stingy and picky about how she spent money, not just on herself but with regular expenses around the house and their kid. I’m sure it’s different for other couples but I don’t know if I’d be happy always having to ask for money for basic stuff. Anyway, they divorced after a few years.

I also had another coworker who married into wealth (she was the au pair and when his wife died from cancer, they married 😳). She had a personal shopper, two homes, etc...same thing like my other coworker (husband always asked why she spent money on xx and xy) except her husband expected her to wait on him hand and foot when he came home from work. She left him after 15 years, got nothing out of it but wanted to preserve her sanity while she could. She remarried a nice man who’s not wealthy but makes her happy.

As you said, it’s probably a lot different when both partners are equal; in this case my coworkers are from “lower” income backgrounds and didn’t meet their exes through normal dating circumstances (ie, through friends of friends, college, common interest groups, etc). Although, I dunno, Elle seems pretty determined to find a man and isn’t interested in saving, so maybe she’d like that lifestyle more than my friends did, haha. 😂

Reactions: 8
My mom always told me something I'll never forget: In life (work, relationships, etc...), there isn't anything as free lunch. 😎 I live by this rule and make all my decisions based on this premise.

If Elle thinks finding a man who will treat her well while she doesn't give anything back, she needs to think again. Because she has been used and dumped by so many men in the last 2 years that I'd be embarrassed if I were her.

Reactions: 11
I know this is am unpopular opinion, but I am not of the mindset that Elle should have invested in purchasing a condo. I never understand when I watch one of those house hunting shows and there is a single girl/guy who clearly wants to eventually be married but is buying a property because they think it's what the smart decision is. To me it seems silly because once you meet someone you are going to have to move (or at least I would because who wants to make a life together in someone else's place). Unless you stay in the place a long time you are likely to actually lose money in lots of places. Granted, I am biased because I am older than Elle and my partner and I have always rented as we were never very interested in home ownership, but I always get triggered when people say you are throwing money away on rent because the thing is you need a lot of money to begin with (or rich parents who will help you out) to make a down payment. Neither of us ever had that. Maybe it's because I have lived in expensive cities, but even though we have always lived in places with high rent, we have never seen instances where the monthly cost of owning a home would actually be less than our rent. And, better yet we have never had to deal with any repairs, appliance replacements etc. or empty out our savings for the down payment. We can just call the building mgt to unclog a drain, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with home ownership but I don't expect someone like Elle, looking for a husband, to buy a place of her own. She absolutely should demonstrate she is self-sufficient, though, by renting a place on her own, saving money rather than spending it all on shopping, etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My mom always told me something I'll never forget: In life (work, relationships, etc...), there isn't anything as free lunch. 😎 I live by this rule and make all my decisions based on this premise.

If Elle thinks finding a man who will treat her well while she doesn't give anything back, she needs to think again. Because she has been used and dumped by so many men in the last 2 years that I'd be embarrassed if I were her.
She does seem to take advantage of the men financially while she’s with them (how else can you explain her influx of hauls and spending when she’s coupled up?). But I agree she’s wasting her time and it must be traumatizing to get dumped continuously.

Reactions: 5

I bet the way Elle sees it, she's not asking for a free lunch. She figures she's paying for it with her sex appeal, charm, wit, style, etc. Problem is half those things are diminishing resources and the ones that aren't exist only in her head. She can still get a lunch in exchange for what she's got left, but it's not going to be at Chateu Fancee, its gonna be at Panera.

• Haha
I know this is am unpopular opinion, but I am not of the mindset that Elle should have invested in purchasing a condo. I never understand when I watch one of those house hunting shows and there is a single girl/guy who clearly wants to eventually be married but is buying a property because they think it's what the smart decision is. To me it seems silly because once you meet someone you are going to have to move (or at least I would because who wants to make a life together in someone else's place). Unless you stay in the place a long time you are likely to actually lose money in lots of places. Granted, I am biased because I am older than Elle and my partner and I have always rented as we were never very interested in home ownership, but I always get triggered when people say you are throwing money away on rent because the thing is you need a lot of money to begin with (or rich parents who will help you out) to make a down payment. Neither of us ever had that. Maybe it's because I have lived in expensive cities, but even though we have always lived in places with high rent, we have never seen instances where the monthly cost of owning a home would actually be less than our rent. And, better yet we have never had to deal with any repairs, appliance replacements etc. or empty out our savings for the down payment. We can just call the building mgt to unclog a drain, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with home ownership but I don't expect someone like Elle, looking for a husband, to buy a place of her own. She absolutely should demonstrate she is self-sufficient, though, by renting a place on her own, saving money rather than spending it all on shopping, etc.
I think it definitely depends on where you live! I’m back in Canada and now live in a purchased property but have lived in very expensive cities in the past (think NYC/London/Tokyo sorts of places) and I never considered home ownership either because I just didn’t want to deal with the hassle, high costs, and not to mention the high odds of me relocating within a couple of years.

In Elle’s case though, she was in Vancouver for almost a decade, grew up in B.C., so it seemed like a natural decision to buy property to most of us?And I’m sure momma G could afford to provide her daughter with a down payment. The Seattle move seemed more like an excuse to escape swampland and because she was too humiliated to return to Vancouver, she needed a new pool of men to fish from so Seattle was a good alternative. Just my two cents on her particular situation. Given her current circumstances and goals, she definitely shouldn’t buy any property. Smelley needs to get her life in order first!

I think it definitely depends on where you live! I’m back in Canada and now live in a purchased property but have lived in very expensive cities in the past (think NYC/London/Tokyo sorts of places) and I never considered home ownership either because I just didn’t want to deal with the hassle, high costs, and not to mention the high odds of me relocating within a couple of years.

In Elle’s case though, she was in Vancouver for almost a decade, grew up in B.C., so it seemed like a natural decision to buy property to most of us?And I’m sure momma G could afford to provide her daughter with a down payment. The Seattle move seemed more like an excuse to escape swampland and because she was too humiliated to return to Vancouver, she needed a new pool of men to fish from so Seattle was a good alternative. Just my two cents on her particular situation. Given her current circumstances and goals, she definitely shouldn’t buy any property. Smelley needs to get her life in order first!
And all the money she’s wasted during all the years she’s been out of school for could have also gone towards a downpayment/mortgage and she’d have built equity. It’s true that buying property is not for everyone, but in Elle’s case she would have come out ahead if she had bought a place in Vancouver and she had the means for it. I don’t think Elle is living on credit. She clearly has the money, even if it’s not money she is earning herself. As someone else me mentioned, it’s odd that Ginette buys Elle diamonds and funds her lavish lifestyle. As the poster mentioned, my parents, too, helped me with my downpayment, but they don’t buy me expensive presents. In other words, they have been extremely generous and for that I will be forever thankful, but their generosity has also been mindful and meant to help me make a worthwhile investment. Elle could have had that but instead she just has loads of stuff that will only lose value.

If Elle had purchased a condo in Vancouver, it would have appreciated a great deal and she probably would have made some money from it, especially as she had been in Vancouver for 10 years or so. And let's face it, if you add all her handbag, clothing, shoe purchases over the years and her rent in Seattle, she could have had a nice downpayment and more in Vancouver on a condo.

Reactions: 11
Not sure about your city but where I live in Europe, even if you were to move in with a partner, you can let out your place and the rent you'd get from your tenant would not only cover your monthly mortgage payment but you'd also have some cash left to keep. The property price appreciation is crazy as well so if she decided to sell even after 3 years, she would have made some profit.

🤢 ANOTHER launch?? Come on! And did it warrant buying ANOTHER dress??
Hold on... She is now stringing pearls for those chains that grannies put on their reading glasses to always have them near? 😂 😂 😂 she's so targeting boomer demographics that she should change her channel name to GrannyElle.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Not sure about your city but where I live in Europe, even if you were to move in with a partner, you can let out your place and the rent you'd get from your tenant would not only cover your monthly mortgage payment but you'd also have some cash left to keep. The property price appreciation is crazy as well so if she decided to sell even after 3 years, she would have made some profit.
It's true. I'm looking to buy a house here in the States, but if I move down the road, I want to rent out the first home. It's not entirely passive income, but it's good income.

Hold on... She is now stringing pearls for those chains that grannies put on their reading glasses to always have them near? 😂 😂 😂 she's so targeting boomer demographics that she should change her channel name to GrannyElle.
That's what my money's on. Honestly, there's no creativity in it. Yeah, I might use one for my glasses, but I'd never pay her prices. Plus her "design" style doesn't match my aesthetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I’m of the opposite opinion. After I finished my engineering degree and was single, I purchased a condo for myself to live in, rather than paying rent (I live in Canada.

I think it was a great decision and when I met my now husband one of the first things he asked me was if I rented or owned my home, haha. He is very money conscious, and I don’t know if I would have gotten a second date if I didn’t own my home! Hahah

Now we live in a beautiful home we purchased together (after we sold his home) and we kept my condo as a rental. It’s basically an equity building savings account for us. It’s rented and just sort of takes care of itself paying down the mortgage.

I think that Elle could definitely have invested in a condo, which would have gained huge value in Vancouver over the last decade. Her nomadic, shopping addicted lifestyle isn’t appealing to new partners. They see $50k + in bags and no home? Doesn’t indicate a great set of priorities.

my husband and I are well established money wise, lots of investments and we Use any extra money to pay down our mortgage faster (goal is to have our house paid for in 3 more years at age 36/35). He hates that I love luxury handbags but we have an understanding that if all of our other obligations and priorities are taken care of then it’s not unreasonable to purchase 1-2 bags a year. I’ve almost convinced him Chanel is a real investment! Hahahah

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I'm sure she'll drop some comments about how as a busy lawyer and professor she's reading all day long and needs to keep her glasses handy. But yeah . . . . The Ricktastrophe really did age her 30 years.

• Haha
🤢 ANOTHER launch?? Come on! And did it warrant buying ANOTHER dress??
Who wears their glasses on pearl necklaces (or any other necklaces, for that matter) anymore?! As I said before, it's Grandma goes to bingo lol.

Literally pick ANYTHING that is fashionable and Elle will like the opposite.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Who wears their glasses on pearl necklaces (or any other necklaces, for that matter) anymore?! As I said before, it's Grandma goes to bingo lol.

Good God I suggested face mask chains as a joke in an earlier post and she made this monstrosity? This looks eerily similar to that...I hope I didn’t give her the terrible idea. 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️

Knowing her, she’ll pair it with some hooker heels for contrast. Grandma up top, turning tricks down south. Keeps it “interesting” I guess. 😆🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
I’m of the opposite opinion. After I finished my engineering degree and was single, I purchased a condo for myself to live in, rather than paying rent (I live in Canada.

I think it was a great decision and when I met my now husband one of the first things he asked me was if I rented or owned my home, haha. He is very money conscious, and I don’t know if I would have gotten a second date if I didn’t own my home! Hahah

Now we live in a beautiful home we purchased together (after we sold his home) and we kept my condo as a rental. It’s basically an equity building savings account for us. It’s rented and just sort of takes care of itself paying down the mortgage.

I think that Elle could definitely have invested in a condo, which would have gained huge value in Vancouver over the last decade. Her nomadic, shopping addicted lifestyle isn’t appealing to new partners. They see $50k + in bags and no home? Doesn’t indicate a great set of priorities.

my husband and I are well established money wise, lots of investments and we Use any extra money to pay down our mortgage faster (goal is to have our house paid for in 3 more years at age 36/35). He hates that I love luxury handbags but we have an understanding that if all of our other obligations and priorities are taken care of then it’s not unreasonable to purchase 1-2 bags a year. I’ve almost convinced him Chanel is a real investment! Hahahah
... Your real estate ownership story is uncannily similar to mine (except for the husband part — I was the one with the requirements, not him. I taught him about investing and saving), like down to the owning, selling, and renting parts. Great engineer minds think alike? 😅

... Your real estate ownership story is uncannily similar to mine (except for the husband part — I was the one with the requirements, not him. I taught him about investing and saving), like down to the owning, selling, and renting parts. Great engineer minds think alike? 😅
I think home ownership is great but not always possible or realistic for everyone. I live in a major city in Canada and the average house here is well over a million dollars which is a lot if you don't have help from parents or you're older/more established (I'm paying a much cheaper rent than market to my family because they're nice and didn't want anything from me, I just offered) and I have lots of friends who do struggle with that down payment if their families don't help out. With the unstable economy, lots of people also worry about their job security and having a guaranteed monthly expense that's on the higher end (i.e mortgage) would be way too much for some people and I do see some people moving out of my city as result of high real estate prices, and I really feel for them. When I lived abroad, it was even more expensive so I understand why some people don't want to or can't deal with that, especially if they are prone to moving. Dealing with tenants can be quite a nightmare as well.

All that being said, if Elle bought fewer ugly shoes and handbags and had just some help from Ginette, she would make A LOT of money from that investment. Vancouver real estate has gone insane and she would've stayed there for good without the Rickets disaster so it made a lot of sense. Poor investment decision for Elle looking back.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I think when Elle first started off on youtube, she wasn't that bad. She lived with her mom in Victoria and moved into her 1 bed room apartment in Vancouver. She hauled at Walmart, Target and Michael Kors. She was kinda cute and relatable. If she had remained like that, stopped being so desperate with guys, worked hard at her job, continued working on finding a proper law job, and stopped moving around so much, she wouldn't be where she is today. Instead, what we're seeing is the self-destruction of a smart (book-smart) girl who was spoiled rotten by her mother and who makes very very poor life decisions. Remember, she's been on youtube since 2012 or something - almost what 8 years? She's shown very little growth in terms of her career or her life since then. If she continues, she's going to be a mess when she is old.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.