Earning more than your partner

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think in loving, respectful relationships you can share what you have and have no resentment or feeling of inequality. I earn double what my OH does and both our wages go into our joint account which pays for everything including our child/bills/food etc, if we want to buy something for ourselves we either purchase it straight from there or move some money into our personal accounts. No one needs permission and neither of us take the piss with big purchases without discussing it first. It just works and I certainly don’t feel I’m entitled to more because I earn more. This does not sound like one of these situations, he sounds like an asshole. It doesn’t sound like he respects you at all.

Reactions: 8
Wow how he hasn’t already given you the massive Ick I’ll never know 🤢
In fairness I think when you’re in the situation you’re almost blind to how bad it really is it’s only when you take a step back and talk about it to someone else you realise wow It really is bad!!

Reactions: 8
In fairness I think when you’re in the situation you’re almost blind to how bad it really is it’s only when you take a step back and talk about it to someone else you realise wow It really is bad!!
Exactly this. My friends wife sounds like this guy. He’s finally realising how bad his situation is but they now have a kid who she does nothing for and the child gates are from stopping their two year old from getting to her when she wants to watch her soaps. Get out, get out now.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
It's one thing lacking ambition and giving up your job / not working. Expecting your partner to sustain your lifestyle is another and something for the couple to deal with.

Arsey behaviour is something no-one needs to put up with .

A Bag For Life? This is a troll post, right?
The bag for life proper tickled me

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I misread this thread as ‘eating more than your partner’ and thought, yes I’ve found my people 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Like others have said, regardless of what you earn it's his lack of willingness to be equal in this relationship that is the problem. He does not sound like he would be a supportive, proactive, reliable father. You said this was the right time to have a baby - perhaps age-wise, yes, but relationship-wise, no... imagine if your own father had been like this? If one of your friends was thinking of having a child with someone like him, what would you say to them? Have the bag-for-life-free holiday, go to Singapore (am jealous!) and even have the baby if you really think it's right... but ditch the guy. It sounds like he brings nothing to your relationship except stress and frustration. He'd be like having two dependants, not just one.

Reactions: 2
I have been in a very similar situation with an ex, except I wasn't pregnant. We moved in together and it was a nightmare. We rented a house and he constantly blamed me for him having no money... because if we hadn't moved in together then he would still be living at his parents rent free 🤣

He hated his job and nearly lost it a few times due to being late. He didn't drive, often missed the train and relied on me to drive him to work... otherwise there was the threat that he would be sacked and it would be my fault!

That's two of many red flags that made me leave and I suggest you do the same. You will move on and be with someone who treats you with respect and pulls their weight. Don't settle for shitbag men who have been babied all their life.. they just drain you.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the holiday.

I feel like I was in this situation. Met a guy, he worked initially for the first 2 years, started using me as a cashpoint (Yes, I was stupid), quit his job because he didn't like the early mornings, although I was pregnant at the time. He's now 35 and he hasn't worked for 8 years. I only ended the relationship last year, was emotionally and mentally abusive.Claims benefits. He sees our son but doesn't pay a penny towards his upbringing and still messages me off random accounts begging for money, doesn't drive, and also uses a bag for life, could be the same person 😂 I joke. Honestly, you can do so much better. He's a freeloader, he's not a man. Kick him out. As for the pregnancy, if you feel like you can do it alone, do it. Although, that ties you to him for the rest of your life.