Earning more than your partner

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Heā€™s 34ā€¦ā€¦

no. Iā€™m sorry but no. Donā€™t have a child with this guy, he sounds like a manchild.

get out of this and find yourself a mature, responsible grown up who can and is willing to behave like an adult.

ETA: you need to completely stop financially supporting him. Heā€™s just taking the piss out of you.

Reactions: 18
By the way you described him, I would have assumed he was early 20s, not 34.

Write off the Ā£100 and cost of the holiday, I don't think you'll see that money again. Do you have a supportive girlfriend or family you can trust to talk with on the pregnancy side of things?

Reactions: 5
I donā€™t think you can expect your partner to care about having a lavish lifestyle - not everybody cares about designer and if that bothers you then maybe he isnā€™t the partner for you

However, that aside I think you need to sit down and have a serious conversation with him about his lack of ambition in life, especially considering you have a baby on the way. You probably shouldā€™ve addressed this before having a baby with him and before it got to the stage where heā€™s quitting work because he ā€œcanā€™t be botheredā€ and getting fired because heā€™s always calling in sick. Maybe thereā€™s something deeper going on? Like depression? Why would you book a holiday with him knowing youā€™d have to pay for everything but then being unhappy youā€™ve had to pay for everything? Surely you shouldā€™ve told him to pay for half upfront and then if he didnā€™t refuse to go? I think youā€™ve let him behave like this for far too long which will make it harder to resolve. And maybe he shouldnā€™t be wasting his money on cigarettes and champagne but rather supporting your child (I had a nosey at your other posts) šŸ™ƒ

Last edited:
I donā€™t think you can expect your partner to care about having a lavish lifestyle - not everybody cares about designer and if that bothers you then maybe he isnā€™t the partner for you

However, that aside I think you need to sit down and have a serious conversation with him about his lack of ambition in life, especially considering you have a baby on the way. You probably shouldā€™ve addressed this before having a baby with him and before it got to the stage where heā€™s quitting work because he ā€œcanā€™t be botheredā€ and getting fired because heā€™s always calling in sick. Maybe thereā€™s something deeper going on? Like depression? Why would you book a holiday with him knowing youā€™d have to pay for everything but then being unhappy youā€™ve had to pay for everything? Surely you shouldā€™ve told him to pay for half upfront and then if he didnā€™t refuse to go? I think youā€™ve let him behave like this for far too long which will make it harder to resolve. And maybe he shouldnā€™t be wasting his money on cigarettes and champagne but rather supporting your child (I had a nosey at your other posts) šŸ™ƒ
I think this guy is just taking the piss personally. Sheā€™s seemingly been just paying out for everything, heā€™s a lazy man child who is happy to just sponge off her and behave like a teenager. Iā€™ll bet that the second she cuts him off financially, he will be off like a rocket.

Reactions: 9
Omg, whatever you do do NOT start paying rent for this guy! Heā€™s taking you for an absolute ride, who even cares if he had good intentions when you got together, he certainly doesnā€™t now. I would never say to someone ā€˜just get an abortionā€™ but as you yourself raised it as an optionā€¦if youā€™re not 100% sure, then remember that having a baby is the biggest commitment you can ever make to another person. You will be tied together for life. If you want to move abroad, bear in mind that he can apply to the family court to stop you from doing this because of the child, and he will have the right to bring those proceedings forever. I would get out ASAP personally.

Reactions: 17
34 wow šŸ˜³ I was full on expecting him to be no older than 25.
I agree with you, you do have som tough decisions to make but you wonā€˜t be alone. Find a close friend or family member as maybe they can also help with some advice, get some consultation for your pregnancy, and weā€˜ll all be here whenever you feel like ranting x

Reactions: 3
Can you afford to raise a baby on your own? Because obviously he wonā€™t be contributing financially at all if he canā€™t even take care of himself. Can you afford to pay for the lifestyle of all 3 of you? And importantlyā€¦ do you want to?

Could you take the job in Singapore and keep the baby too? Does it have to be one or the other?

Reactions: 1
It's weird because when I first read your original post I wondered if he had mental health issues. Prior to covid what was his working situation like? The reason I ask is because my anxiety and fear absolutely went through the roof and if we didn't own our business I'm not sure if I would've been able to go back to work.

I do think you need to have a serious chat with him about what is going on.

On a side note would you consider him being a stay at home dad and you being the breadwinner? This might work for you especially if he does have some MH issues that makes it hard for him at the moment to keep a job. Or is he just a laid back person who isn't particularly ambitious? That might also be a turn off for you

In terms of an abortion that is a decision only you can make.

Goodluck and keep us up to date!

PS - absolutely pissed myself laughing about the bag for life comment.

Reactions: 4
So how is he going to support you on maternity leave? Will you be going back into work after 6 months because he doesn't have a job? Can you support the 3 of you? What about in the future when 3 may become 4? I did think this was a wind-up post at first because I have no idea how an independent, successful woman would stick around with a lazy, lying man-child.

Wowwww

nothing wrong with one person earning more than the other , usually one person ina relationship earns more than the other.

everyone has issues weā€™d be lying if we said we didnā€™t. The alarm bells for me are his lack of willingness to work, provide and pay his own way in life. If youā€™re pregnant now and heā€™s not making moves to secure a financial stability for your family then you need to consider all your options and what your willing to tolerate. It might not bother you him not working, staying at home to look after baby etc however it might really bother you.

I think you need to sit down with him and explain all your expectations and ask him what his are too, meet somewhere in the middle and take it from there. Know your worth and donā€™t settle for any less!

Iā€™ve a dear friend who was in a similar situation. She is hugely successful in her career she earns over 70k a year, she had a mortgage and car etc before she met her partner. When she met him he worked In a minimum wage job but turned up none the less and paid his way etc once he moved in with her he started taking a lot of sick days. She got pregnant had the baby and he quit his job while she was on maternity! He told her he was gonna go self employed so she bought him all the equipment he needed and itā€™s just sat there! She also paid for him to learn to drive and a first car. He then started drinking really heavily so she didnā€™t want to leave baby with him when she returned to work so she paid nursery fees, he then wanted to surprise her so he used her bank card to book them a holiday over her babyā€™s first birthday WITHOUT THE BABY!!! The holiday cost Ā£4K!!! He didnā€™t even ask her he just done it. Iā€™m telling you this story so you can see why itā€™s important to lay down firm boundaries

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Soā€¦ we had the chat and it didnā€™t go very well šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø. Last week Iā€™d asked him to stop smoking when I was around him as Iā€™m a smoker too and Iā€™m finding it really hard, he replied with ā€˜you canā€™t tell me what to do you bleeping knobheadā€™ so when I went to his tonight he lit a cigerette within 10 mins and then had another one ten mins later and I just saw red. I asked him about getting a job and just said that he hadnā€™t tried today as heā€™d spent the whole day making me dinner and I didnā€™t seem at all grateful šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø, it was a stew that definitely didnā€™t take all day! I tried to ask how he thought we were going to manage in the future.. he said Iā€™m just being moody and miserable because he thinks I miss cigerettes ā€¦ wtf šŸ˜‚.

So, I left and Iā€™m going on the holiday on my own minus the Bag for Life! Thanks for everyoneā€™s support! Youā€™re all so rightā€¦ writing it all down makes me realise how ridiculous this situation is.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Soā€¦ we had the chat and it didnā€™t go very well šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø. Last week Iā€™d asked him to stop smoking when I was around him as Iā€™m a smoker too and Iā€™m finding it really hard, he replied with ā€˜you canā€™t tell me what to do you bleeping knobheadā€™ so when I went to his tonight he lit a cigerette within 10 mins and then had another one ten mins later and I just saw red. I asked him about getting a job and just said that he hadnā€™t tried today as heā€™d spent the whole day making me dinner and I didnā€™t seem at all grateful šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø, it was a stew that definitely didnā€™t take all day! I tried to ask how he thought we were going to manage in the future.. he said Iā€™m just being moody and miserable because he thinks I miss cigerettes ā€¦ wtf šŸ˜‚.

So, I left and Iā€™m going on the holiday on my own minus the Bag for Life! Thanks for everyoneā€™s support! Youā€™re all so rightā€¦ writing it all down makes me realise how ridiculous this situation is.
Ugh, so sorry to hear.

Well at least you know now before baby comes and you make a more serious commitment.

Enjoy your holiday, you clearly deserve it!

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Iā€™m going to be blunt here.
This relationship is going absolutely nowhere. Heā€™s a lazy, childish waste of space and im afraid it looks like heā€™s with you simply to use you as a human ATM. They way he has spoken to you tonight is completely out of line and his behaviour regarding the smoking just shows a lack of respect for you as his partner and as the woman carrying his unborn child.
I canā€™t tell you what to do regarding your pregnancy but be under absolutely no illusion here - he doesnā€™t care a damn about either one of you and he will be gone long before that child is born if you do decide to have the baby.
my honest advice? Get rid of him, start a fresh and move on with your own life. Heā€™s a waste of space.

He expects you to be grateful for a meal he threw together with food YOU paid for, in a house YOU pay for, with electric/gas YOU pay forā€¦.!! Heā€™s an idiot!
whoā€™s paying for the cigarettes heā€™s smoking?

get Rid of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
Good for you! Thatā€™s a massive step in the right direction. I hope you manage to relax and reflect on everything whilst away. Put him on a do not disturb setting so he doesnā€™t disrupt your peace.

As for mental health, he seems like many men who ā€œget counsellingā€ to get their partner ā€œoff their backā€ because his actions clearly demonstrate he has no intention of making any positive changes in his life right now.

It sounds ridiculous but decent people do get caught up in these ā€situationshipsā€ so you must be kind to yourself.

My sister earns an unbelievable amount and her fiancƩ works in a supermarket on minimum wage. And they love each other, treat each other, share everything.

The things that annoy me are when people canā€™t be arsed to try. He canā€™t drive? So your going to be the driver forever, driving yourself to the labour ward? Heā€™s been let go from 2 jobs, and is now not attending his newest one? Heā€™s found his meal ticket in you and is not making any effort

Ahhh mate no no no. Anyone who thinks itā€™s ok to verbally assault you, who thinks itā€™s ok to smoke round you while youā€™re pregnant (never mind youā€™d requested he didnā€™t as well) is no good. Get rid of him.

Yeah definitely get rid of him ASAP. I wouldnā€™t ever put up with a man swearing at me, itā€™s verbal abuse and itā€™s disgusting and it seems very aggressive. I wouldnā€™t like to see if that behaviour escalates when youā€™re living togetherā€¦

Honestly he sounds like a man child, if you moved in together youā€™d probably have two babies to look after. He probably wouldnā€™t contribute a penny and he probably wouldnā€™t lift a finger around the house or with the baby.

run far far away.

Reactions: 6
You won't be able to change him, when people show you who they are and what they're like - believe them. Getting out now is the best thing you can do for yourself as he will only gaslight you and drag you down to his level if you stick around.