Driving lessons/experience

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just a thread for anyone who is planning on learning to drive or pick up lessons after lockdown or just talk about their experience if it can help others

Are you going to learn manual or automatic?
Have you taken your theory?
If you’ve had some lessons how are you finding them?

Reactions: 1
Not started any of the above or decided anything (I'm the worst) but I'll be keeping an eye here and will update because I was booking lessons in advance just before lockdown hit. :rolleyes:

I have multi tasking issues - tried in a Manual, and did manage it, but never got enough confidence to put in for my test. Ended up going in for my test in an automatic because I was due to start Uni and wanted to be able to pass quicker. Always said that once I’d gotten my confidence on the road, I’d go back and do my manual, but never did x

I'd highly recommend the DVLA theory test app. I used it when I was learning a few years ago and really learnt a lot.

Reactions: 8
And YouTube ‘DGN driving school’. He films a student during a mock test and pauses at each manoeuvre, minor fault, major fault and tells you what to do to correct it etc.
I passed my test over 3 years ago and I still watch his videos I love them! Good luck!

Reactions: 7
Also, if you can be insured on a family members car it is great practice. I was driving my grandparents car home from work each day and really think it brought on my driving in leaps and bounds. I had put in for my test when I started doing this so had the skills/knowledge to an extent.

I did some lessons with a couple of men but didn’t like either of them.

So I bit the bullet, booked a 5 day driving course in Norwich, stayed in the closest hotel and revised theory in the evenings.

I then looked at the pass rates in the test centres around me and went with the highest one. There wasn’t any availability for 3 months so carried on with another instructor and then passed first time.
Automatic, because life is too short to find the biting point in gears 😅 but auto cars are more expensive to buy (I’m sure)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I Was in the middle of learning, obviously very passed off now. I’m doing automatic, it’s easier and quicker to learn.

I’ve been learning automatic, was just about to book my theory before they were cancelled. Looking forward to resuming driving again, will probably be like starting all over again by the time lockdown is lifted :oops:

I've been driving for four years but been talking to my teenage sister about her lessons.

Firstly, I'd say after you've had a few lessons, get your theory done and out the way asap. Its valid for 2 years, get it out the way and it isnt a stress anymore.
Secondly, be honest with your instructor. If they ask you to do something you dont feel ready for, tell them. If you want to try before they suggest it, ask. Worst they can say is no.
Thirdly, when you're in a large metal box learning to control it with hundreds of other people also controlling metal boxes which could literally kill you, no question is a stupid question. Ask any questions you have without worrying that it's silly.
Last, you dont have to be a mechanic but try and get a basic understanding of the stuff under the hood. It will make your life easier.

When you do your practical test, remember you can ask them to repeat things. Check your mirrors frequently, pretend you're on a regular lesson. If you make a mistake, dont point it out, carry on unless they tell you not to.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone!

Reactions: 3
For years I was adamant I was going to learn in an automatic, despite everyone I knew telling me to learn in manual. One day someone I barely knew told me this and it still sticks with me to this day. They told me that if I was in a situation where i needed to get out of somewhere quickly and had to borrow a car, or a world disaster happened (think of any disaster film) and I could only drive an automatic; I’d be screwed. Gears are very very easy once you understand how they work, and it doesn’t take long.

Reactions: 8
Definitely try get insured on a family members car and go for lessons with them as well. It really gets you more used to driving. However would recommend to only go on quiet roads to begin with as obviously you wouldn’t have the comfort of knowing the instructor also has control if something goes wrong.

I passed nearly 4 years ago. I suffered with awful anxiety at the time and really struggled to understand gears etc. Passed my theory 1st time I would recommend the dvla app for that. I persevered with manual and took my test which I failed 1st time, 2nd time i passed. Once out in my car I hated manual and struggled to drive, after about a year I got the hang of it however this year I switched to automatic and wonder why I never done it sooner, I would not go back to a manual now even tho I am fully capable or driving one now so if you are struggling, there's no shame in taking an automatic test. Yes you can't drive manual but do what you are confident with!

I had a LOT of lessons in a manual and struggled with it so I’m looking forward to starting lessons in an automatic. My issue is I have a lot of nerves when driving so being about to take something away like the gears makes me feel less nervous

Reactions: 3
I did some lessons with a couple of men but didn’t like either of them.

So I bit the bullet, booked a 5 day driving course in Norwich, stayed in the closest hotel and revised theory in the evenings.

I then looked at the pass rates in the test centres around me and went with the highest one. There wasn’t any availability for 3 months so carried on with another instructor and then passed first time.
Automatic, because life is too short to find the biting point in gears 😅 but auto cars are more expensive to buy (I’m sure)
Very well done x

• Heart
I might see if it’s possible to do intensive course after weekly lessons? So if I did all of my lessons and then had an intensive course before my test just to give me that final push

Is it still the rule if you learn in a automatic you cant drive a manual?
Yes that's correct.
I might see if it’s possible to do intensive course after weekly lessons? So if I did all of my lessons and then had an intensive course before my test just to give me that final push
I did it the other way round - I learn by cramming, always have done. So I did a 5 day intensive course first. Oh god it was the most knackering thing I've ever done, and I could not have done a test at the end of that. So I did the intensive, then did a 2 hour lesson once a week for 4 weeks before my test. Gave me the time to go away and have a break /read up on things and prepare. By the time my test came round (first thing in the morning) I felt more than prepared tbh.
I did auto because I doubt I'll be in a post apocalyptic situation in which I must drive a manual to escape... And it's still better than not driving at all, which is where I would be otherwise. 🤷‍♀️
Completely relative and personal to each person though - the debate of auto vs manual is one I've learnt to ignore 🤣

I didnt realise automatic cars were such a big thing here that people did lessons just on that, that's surprised me.