Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

megsmagoo

VIP Member
I passed! Thank the lord 🤣🤣 2 minors. I got pull up on the right and reverse 2 car lengths woo!

so happy 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 9

ponyta

I'd highly recommend the DVLA theory test app. I used it when I was learning a few years ago and really learnt a lot.

Reactions: 8

Bronx

For years I was adamant I was going to learn in an automatic, despite everyone I knew telling me to learn in manual. One day someone I barely knew told me this and it still sticks with me to this day. They told me that if I was in a situation where i needed to get out of somewhere quickly and had to borrow a car, or a world disaster happened (think of any disaster film) and I could only drive an automatic; I’d be screwed. Gears are very very easy once you understand how they work, and it doesn’t take long.

Reactions: 8

Hairraiser

VIP Member
And YouTube ‘DGN driving school’. He films a student during a mock test and pauses at each manoeuvre, minor fault, major fault and tells you what to do to correct it etc.
I passed my test over 3 years ago and I still watch his videos I love them! Good luck!

Reactions: 7

TruffleTrifle

A tip for anyone who is looking at an intensive course. I did one over 6 days (5 days of 4 hours driving and 1 day with the lesson) it was great for getting used to just driving without the break between lessons. By the end I could drive perfectly fine and do my manoeuvres. (I had had a few months of lessons prior to this but hadn’t driven for a year and wanted to get my test done before my theory test expired)

However, the week build up to the test made me more and more nervous. Every small mistake I blew out of proportion in my mind. I failed my intensive course test and had to do it again which I passed the day before my theory test expired. I didn’t take any lessons the weekend before it (I knew I could drive so I wanted to reduce any chance of getting anxious if I made a mistake) I took it at 8:15am on a Monday, so there wasn’t time to do much beforehand except drive to the test centre which meant I wasn’t freaking out about it.

If you really struggle with anxiety (as I do) I wouldn’t recommend doing the test at the end of the intensive course it as it definitely amplified every fear and panic that I had. Do the intensive course but give yourself a week or so before you take the actual test. Trust me!

Reactions: 4

Mercedes12

VIP Member
I learned in a manual, passed theory first time but didn’t pass driving test until 4th attempt.

To this day I’d rather have a root canal filling than take a driving test. I thought it was the most nerve wracking thing in the world! The nerves completely let me down first 3 times😆

Despite all the turmoil, would be lost without my car. Has allowed me the freedom to move to a new area, get a new job and lots more. I’m so glad I didn’t give up after the first few failed tests!

If you’re struggling just persevere, I promise it’s a lot less nerve wrecking when you can drive on your own ! I still get nervous now if someone I don’t know well is in my car as I feel like they’re watching me 😂

Reactions: 4

megx

I had a LOT of lessons in a manual and struggled with it so I’m looking forward to starting lessons in an automatic. My issue is I have a lot of nerves when driving so being about to take something away like the gears makes me feel less nervous

Reactions: 3

megsmagoo

VIP Member
I learnt on manual and have been passed for a year! I bought an automatic car straight away, never looked back! Took ages to pass mainly bc I didn't like my first 3 instructors, they were all very money focused and I could tell straight away. Eventually found one I liked and he was GREAT. Passed within 6 months of lessons and first time! Finding the right instructor for you really is key.

Also, to add, I honestly believe everyone should have a car. It gives so much freedom! I love that I don't have to rely on anyone or pay expensive bloody train tickets anymore!
If I have children the day they turn 17 I’m going to get them doing lessons 😂 I wish my parents did but we lived in central London so the thought never really crossed my mind - I’m 30 now and it’s tedious paying someone to tell me what to do, but maybe I’m just a stubborn mule lol

Greygardener

Chatty Member
I've been driving for four years but been talking to my teenage sister about her lessons.

Firstly, I'd say after you've had a few lessons, get your theory done and out the way asap. Its valid for 2 years, get it out the way and it isnt a stress anymore.
Secondly, be honest with your instructor. If they ask you to do something you dont feel ready for, tell them. If you want to try before they suggest it, ask. Worst they can say is no.
Thirdly, when you're in a large metal box learning to control it with hundreds of other people also controlling metal boxes which could literally kill you, no question is a stupid question. Ask any questions you have without worrying that it's silly.
Last, you dont have to be a mechanic but try and get a basic understanding of the stuff under the hood. It will make your life easier.

When you do your practical test, remember you can ask them to repeat things. Check your mirrors frequently, pretend you're on a regular lesson. If you make a mistake, dont point it out, carry on unless they tell you not to.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone!

Greygardener

Chatty Member
I started lessons in an automatic but really struggled. My instructor was a pervy bastard and shouted at me, I used to drive crying and get really anxious and it's totally put me off/shot my confidence down. I would like to get back into it eventually I just don't trust myself at all!
It's so important that you find an instructor yoyre comfortable with! My first driving instructor made me stop at traffic lights, swap seats so he could do it, then swap back. This was even if they were green!

• Wow

Peachy9

VIP Member
Is it still the rule if you learn in a automatic you cant drive a manual?
Yes that's correct.
I might see if it’s possible to do intensive course after weekly lessons? So if I did all of my lessons and then had an intensive course before my test just to give me that final push
I did it the other way round - I learn by cramming, always have done. So I did a 5 day intensive course first. Oh god it was the most knackering thing I've ever done, and I could not have done a test at the end of that. So I did the intensive, then did a 2 hour lesson once a week for 4 weeks before my test. Gave me the time to go away and have a break /read up on things and prepare. By the time my test came round (first thing in the morning) I felt more than prepared tbh.
I did auto because I doubt I'll be in a post apocalyptic situation in which I must drive a manual to escape... And it's still better than not driving at all, which is where I would be otherwise. 🤷‍♀️
Completely relative and personal to each person though - the debate of auto vs manual is one I've learnt to ignore 🤣

Reactions: 2

Fairypop

VIP Member
I learnt by driving manual I think once you get the hang off it its really easy TBH. I remember when I first started having lessons I thought Im never going to learn how to use the gear stick but you do eventually get the hang of it.
Completely agree! I remember feeling so overwhelmed by the gears & clutch but did get the hang of it quickly. I’ve driven manual ever since & it’s amazing how you don’t even think about it isn’t it 😂

Vixta

I’ve been learning automatic, was just about to book my theory before they were cancelled. Looking forward to resuming driving again, will probably be like starting all over again by the time lockdown is lifted :oops:

Flipping Hell !

Chatty Member
I vowed to carry on even if it took 10 goes so 4 wasnt too bad 😂

I just knew if I gave up I was wasting all the money I’d spent so far!
This was my attitude too, I was determined I wasn't going to stop until I had passed ,I was having 2 lessons a week for over a year, I had too much money invested in it to stop ,Keep going, you get there in the end xx

Boredinstagrammer29

I did some lessons with a couple of men but didn’t like either of them.

So I bit the bullet, booked a 5 day driving course in Norwich, stayed in the closest hotel and revised theory in the evenings.

I then looked at the pass rates in the test centres around me and went with the highest one. There wasn’t any availability for 3 months so carried on with another instructor and then passed first time.
Automatic, because life is too short to find the biting point in gears 😅 but auto cars are more expensive to buy (I’m sure)

• Heart

Mrs_Bee

I failed my test in a manual twice and vowed never to get behind the wheel of a car ever again. Several years later I decided to give it another go and learn in an automatic with a view to taking the manual test a few years later. That was 20 years ago and I've never bothered to learn to drive a manual, automatic is soooo much easier. Because I was so nervous about taking my test I had a couple of sessions of hypnotherapy beforehand and I stayed calm all the way through it and passed with only 2 minors (one of them was one that particular examiner picked everyone up on).

I had a LOT of lessons in a manual and struggled with it so I’m looking forward to starting lessons in an automatic. My issue is I have a lot of nerves when driving so being about to take something away like the gears makes me feel less nervous
Be prepared to have a panic everytime you approach a junction or roundabout because it will feel like you're going to stall at first until you get used to the fact you don't have to worry about the clutch etc. You do get used to it quite quickly though, and its sooooo much easier!!

Emmalj44

I did some lessons with a couple of men but didn’t like either of them.

So I bit the bullet, booked a 5 day driving course in Norwich, stayed in the closest hotel and revised theory in the evenings.

I then looked at the pass rates in the test centres around me and went with the highest one. There wasn’t any availability for 3 months so carried on with another instructor and then passed first time.
Automatic, because life is too short to find the biting point in gears 😅 but auto cars are more expensive to buy (I’m sure)
Very well done x

• Heart
Reactions: 1

Prodcon21

Chatty Member
I have multi tasking issues - tried in a Manual, and did manage it, but never got enough confidence to put in for my test. Ended up going in for my test in an automatic because I was due to start Uni and wanted to be able to pass quicker. Always said that once I’d gotten my confidence on the road, I’d go back and do my manual, but never did x

Reactions: 1