Driving lessons/experience

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A tip for anyone who is looking at an intensive course. I did one over 6 days (5 days of 4 hours driving and 1 day with the lesson) it was great for getting used to just driving without the break between lessons. By the end I could drive perfectly fine and do my manoeuvres. (I had had a few months of lessons prior to this but hadn’t driven for a year and wanted to get my test done before my theory test expired)

However, the week build up to the test made me more and more nervous. Every small mistake I blew out of proportion in my mind. I failed my intensive course test and had to do it again which I passed the day before my theory test expired. I didn’t take any lessons the weekend before it (I knew I could drive so I wanted to reduce any chance of getting anxious if I made a mistake) I took it at 8:15am on a Monday, so there wasn’t time to do much beforehand except drive to the test centre which meant I wasn’t freaking out about it.

If you really struggle with anxiety (as I do) I wouldn’t recommend doing the test at the end of the intensive course it as it definitely amplified every fear and panic that I had. Do the intensive course but give yourself a week or so before you take the actual test. Trust me!

Reactions: 4
Yes that's correct.

I did it the other way round - I learn by cramming, always have done. So I did a 5 day intensive course first. Oh god it was the most knackering thing I've ever done, and I could not have done a test at the end of that. So I did the intensive, then did a 2 hour lesson once a week for 4 weeks before my test. Gave me the time to go away and have a break /read up on things and prepare. By the time my test came round (first thing in the morning) I felt more than prepared tbh.
I did auto because I doubt I'll be in a post apocalyptic situation in which I must drive a manual to escape... And it's still better than not driving at all, which is where I would be otherwise. 🤷‍♀️
Completely relative and personal to each person though - the debate of auto vs manual is one I've learnt to ignore 🤣
I’ll have to have a look and see what there is around me to see if this in an option!!

I didnt realise automatic cars were such a big thing here that people did lessons just on that, that's surprised me.
I’m quite surprised at the number who are just learning/have learnt auto, I was always very much encouraged to learn manual even if I chose to drive an automatic once I’d passed. Everyone I know who drives automatic has a manual license. No judgement to any of you at all by the way - I don’t blame you at all!! Why not keep it simple! I do think automatics are becoming more popular anyway & I completely understand that!

Reactions: 1
This has helped me by reading this!! I did lessons when i was 18/19 and had a bad experience while doing a practice practical test since then i havent drove since im 30 next year and my provisional just expired last weekmy parents and people around keep saying just do it or i regret it which i do regret it so much the fact my younger brother drives and i dont kicks me in bloody teeth tbh!

Ive been reading for months on intensive courses and i wanted to do it this year and now its just putting me off again 😭 i need bloody do it otherwise i never will!!

Sorry needed a rant about it 😂😂

I was supposed to have my test last Friday 😭 gutted to have postponed but it’s been rebooked for the 10th July (hopefully).

Also an automatic learner! I did manual and then stopped for 2 years so was at a point where I just wanted it done. I also got a lot of ‘oohh you should be learning manual blah blah’ from people who drive automatics and said they wouldn’t go back to manual 😂🙄

PRAYING I pass in July, we’re desperate to move but need a car to drive to and from work, my partners also learning but he’s doing manual. His test is on the 15th July but failed his first one unfortunately! It’s so expensive too but I guess that will be replaced with the car costs if we do!

I've been having a lesson a week since October - so I've had about 20 lessons. My uncle who is a driving instructor is teaching me and I'm finding it okay. I've never wanted to learn how to drive but understand it will definitely help me when I have children and if I wanted a career change or to move further away from work as I walk there and back currently... At first I absolutely hated it and found it so stressful and tiring but just before the lockdown I really felt I was coming on leaps and bounds and had started doing manoeuvres and driving around the test area roads..

Still haven't done my theory but can pass the majority of the questions and practice tests online (I use a theory practice app also, worth every penny spent on it) so the first thing I'm going to do when you can book them is exactly that.

Fortunate enough to be using this time to save every last spare penny to be able to buy my first car, so I can hopefully start practicing more often!

How many lessons (or hours spent on learning) is the average? I'm hoping I'm a little over half way through my learning now and would like to have passed before October! Also, does anybody think it would get me there quicker if I upped the lessons to twice a week?

I've been having a lesson a week since October - so I've had about 20 lessons. My uncle who is a driving instructor is teaching me and I'm finding it okay. I've never wanted to learn how to drive but understand it will definitely help me when I have children and if I wanted a career change or to move further away from work as I walk there and back currently... At first I absolutely hated it and found it so stressful and tiring but just before the lockdown I really felt I was coming on leaps and bounds and had started doing manoeuvres and driving around the test area roads..

Still haven't done my theory but can pass the majority of the questions and practice tests online (I use a theory practice app also, worth every penny spent on it) so the first thing I'm going to do when you can book them is exactly that.

Fortunate enough to be using this time to save every last spare penny to be able to buy my first car, so I can hopefully start practicing more often!

How many lessons (or hours spent on learning) is the average? I'm hoping I'm a little over half way through my learning now and would like to have passed before October! Also, does anybody think it would get me there quicker if I upped the lessons to twice a week?
If it helps I did one two hour lesson per week from mid September to april, so six months. However, I took 3 goes for my theory 🙈 and passed my practical with only 2 minors. If I had passed my theory first time I'd have done my practical in February, so four months. Around 20 lessons, 40 hours, that was from complete beginner. That's why I say definitely get the theory sorted early on so you can focus completely on practical.

If it helps I did one two hour lesson per week from mid September to april, so six months. However, I took 3 goes for my theory 🙈 and passed my practical with only 2 minors. If I had passed my theory first time I'd have done my practical in February, so four months. Around 20 lessons, 40 hours, that was from complete beginner. That's why I say definitely get the theory sorted early on so you can focus completely on practical.
I've had a couple of two hour lessons when I've had to catch up on missed weeks (christmas and holidays) and don't really like them because I stress myself out when things don't go well! 40 hours seems okay, that would put me just under half way there which I feel I am at this point. I definitely need to just get this theory out of the way ASAP! Did you have any practice outside of your lessons?

I’ve had about 35ish hours, boyfriend has had 40. We both did the theory earlyish to get it out the way. I think 40 is about the average but I think I’ll probably have about 10 more when I can to get ready for the test after the break, hopefully won’t be terrible 🙄

I’m quite surprised at the number who are just learning/have learnt auto, I was always very much encouraged to learn manual even if I chose to drive an automatic once I’d passed. Everyone I know who drives automatic has a manual license. No judgement to any of you at all by the way - I don’t blame you at all!! Why not keep it simple! I do think automatics are becoming more popular anyway & I completely understand that!
I learnt by driving manual I think once you get the hang off it its really easy TBH. I remember when I first started having lessons I thought Im never going to learn how to use the gear stick but you do eventually get the hang of it.

I learnt by driving manual I think once you get the hang off it its really easy TBH. I remember when I first started having lessons I thought Im never going to learn how to use the gear stick but you do eventually get the hang of it.
Completely agree! I remember feeling so overwhelmed by the gears & clutch but did get the hang of it quickly. I’ve driven manual ever since & it’s amazing how you don’t even think about it isn’t it 😂

Reactions: 2
As I live in Norway and manual is pretty normal here, I learned how to drive a manual and am now driving both a manual and automatic. As for learning how to drive I would recommend driving A LOT before taking lessons. If my parents and I were going to the store or something, I would drive them. That way, I got a lot of experience and we didn't waste a lot of time just driving and spending gas without really having a place to go. If we had to be somewhere at a specific time, we just drove 10 minutes earlier so that I could relax and take my time while driving there. Try to make it a routine. Drive several times a week. I did really well on my driver's lessons and test, so that's thanks to driving a lot beforehand. I failed my theory test the first time, I found a really good website with a similar test after failing. I did the test about 10-20 times several days in a row, so after a few days I kept getting 0 wrong answers several times in a row - I knew I'd pass on my 2nd attempt and I did. Hope this helped some of you! Good luck!

I failed my test in a manual twice and vowed never to get behind the wheel of a car ever again. Several years later I decided to give it another go and learn in an automatic with a view to taking the manual test a few years later. That was 20 years ago and I've never bothered to learn to drive a manual, automatic is soooo much easier. Because I was so nervous about taking my test I had a couple of sessions of hypnotherapy beforehand and I stayed calm all the way through it and passed with only 2 minors (one of them was one that particular examiner picked everyone up on).

I had a LOT of lessons in a manual and struggled with it so I’m looking forward to starting lessons in an automatic. My issue is I have a lot of nerves when driving so being about to take something away like the gears makes me feel less nervous
Be prepared to have a panic everytime you approach a junction or roundabout because it will feel like you're going to stall at first until you get used to the fact you don't have to worry about the clutch etc. You do get used to it quite quickly though, and its sooooo much easier!!

Reactions: 2
Out of interest what’s the range of prices driving lessons cost where you all live?

Out of interest what’s the range of prices driving lessons cost where you all live?
I live in Birmingham and pay £23 as my instructor is a relative, he charges £25ph usually!

I started lessons in an automatic but really struggled. My instructor was a pervy bastard and shouted at me, I used to drive crying and get really anxious and it's totally put me off/shot my confidence down. I would like to get back into it eventually I just don't trust myself at all!

I passed my theory test 1st time, but it took 3 attempts to pass my driving test, the best thing I ever did, and wish I had done it earlier ( I was 56 when I passed )