Driving lessons/experience

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I started lessons in an automatic but really struggled. My instructor was a pervy bastard and shouted at me, I used to drive crying and get really anxious and it's totally put me off/shot my confidence down. I would like to get back into it eventually I just don't trust myself at all!
It's so important that you find an instructor yoyre comfortable with! My first driving instructor made me stop at traffic lights, swap seats so he could do it, then swap back. This was even if they were green!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I started lessons in an automatic but really struggled. My instructor was a pervy bastard and shouted at me, I used to drive crying and get really anxious and it's totally put me off/shot my confidence down. I would like to get back into it eventually I just don't trust myself at all!
I had a similar experience, had two male instructors before I found my current one and she’s amazing. Personally I found it more difficult taking instructions from a man 💁🏻‍♀️

Ask for some recommendations from friends/family and google Facebook pages, you’ll find someone you’re comfortable with, it’s trial and error 😊

my instructor put me off too. I was learning manual and I felt like he wasn’t sympathetic to the idea that I was struggling. Everyone learns at different paces and I felt like he rushed me. I was very nervous on the roads and hated it so much. One time i took a little longer pulling off at traffic lights and he was sitting there saying to me “the people behind are getting really annoyed now you need to get going”. Of course saying something like that just made me more stressed and took longer.
in the end I thought duck this I’m not paying you £30 an hour to be rude and unhelpful.

Reactions: 1
I learned in a manual, passed theory first time but didn’t pass driving test until 4th attempt.

To this day I’d rather have a root canal filling than take a driving test. I thought it was the most nerve wracking thing in the world! The nerves completely let me down first 3 times😆

Despite all the turmoil, would be lost without my car. Has allowed me the freedom to move to a new area, get a new job and lots more. I’m so glad I didn’t give up after the first few failed tests!

If you’re struggling just persevere, I promise it’s a lot less nerve wrecking when you can drive on your own ! I still get nervous now if someone I don’t know well is in my car as I feel like they’re watching me 😂

Reactions: 4
I learned in a manual, passed theory first time but didn’t pass driving test until 4th attempt.

To this day I’d rather have a root canal filling than take a driving test. I thought it was the most nerve wracking thing in the world! The nerves completely let me down first 3 times😆

Despite all the turmoil, would be lost without my car. Has allowed me the freedom to move to a new area, get a new job and lots more. I’m so glad I didn’t give up after the first few failed tests!

If you’re struggling just persevere, I promise it’s a lot less nerve wrecking when you can drive on your own ! I still get nervous now if someone I don’t know well is in my car as I feel like they’re watching me 😂
Well done for carrying on!

A friend of mine passed on her 6th attempt, I’m hoping for less than that 😁

Well done for carrying on!

A friend of mine passed on her 6th attempt, I’m hoping for less than that 😁
I vowed to carry on even if it took 10 goes so 4 wasnt too bad 😂

I just knew if I gave up I was wasting all the money I’d spent so far!

I learnt on manual and have been passed for a year! I bought an automatic car straight away, never looked back! Took ages to pass mainly bc I didn't like my first 3 instructors, they were all very money focused and I could tell straight away. Eventually found one I liked and he was GREAT. Passed within 6 months of lessons and first time! Finding the right instructor for you really is key.

Also, to add, I honestly believe everyone should have a car. It gives so much freedom! I love that I don't have to rely on anyone or pay expensive bloody train tickets anymore!

For years I was adamant I was going to learn in an automatic, despite everyone I knew telling me to learn in manual. One day someone I barely knew told me this and it still sticks with me to this day. They told me that if I was in a situation where i needed to get out of somewhere quickly and had to borrow a car, or a world disaster happened (think of any disaster film) and I could only drive an automatic; I’d be screwed. Gears are very very easy once you understand how they work, and it doesn’t take long.
I got told something very similar to this, I never really wanted to learn automatic but this made me adamant to learn manual. Been driving manual for 13 years now, doubt I’ll ever buy any automatic.

A good friend from school, her dad was a driving instructor and she didn’t learn when we all did (17/18) and then went straight in for automatic. She doesn’t drive now at all.

I learned to drive with the AA. Would definitely recommend, I had a lovely instructor. I only needed 10 lessons and passed first time with 2 minors. I did practice a lot with a friend in between lessons though which definitely helped.

I vowed to carry on even if it took 10 goes so 4 wasnt too bad 😂

I just knew if I gave up I was wasting all the money I’d spent so far!
This was my attitude too, I was determined I wasn't going to stop until I had passed ,I was having 2 lessons a week for over a year, I had too much money invested in it to stop ,Keep going, you get there in the end xx

Reactions: 2
A lot of instructors do introductory offers - 3 lessons for the price of 2 and the like. Make the most of that and try a few different ones to find someone that really understands your needs and learning style. Don't feel like you have to do them a service!

Did anyone have extra lessons after they had passed to learn about motorway driving? I think now thats part of the lessons but wasn't years ago

I learnt on manual and have been passed for a year! I bought an automatic car straight away, never looked back! Took ages to pass mainly bc I didn't like my first 3 instructors, they were all very money focused and I could tell straight away. Eventually found one I liked and he was GREAT. Passed within 6 months of lessons and first time! Finding the right instructor for you really is key.

Also, to add, I honestly believe everyone should have a car. It gives so much freedom! I love that I don't have to rely on anyone or pay expensive bloody train tickets anymore!
If I have children the day they turn 17 I’m going to get them doing lessons 😂 I wish my parents did but we lived in central London so the thought never really crossed my mind - I’m 30 now and it’s tedious paying someone to tell me what to do, but maybe I’m just a stubborn mule lol

Reactions: 3
I passed my test in september in an automatic. I had many lessons in a manual, and despite everyone telling me not too i switched to automatic, and never looked back!
Learning to drive was the most terrifying thing i have ever done. It has taken until now to not feel nervous doing my usual routes. I only drive to work and short distances and i doubt i will ever drive on the motorway. So glad i did it

I passed my test in september in an automatic. I had many lessons in a manual, and despite everyone telling me not too i switched to automatic, and never looked back!
Learning to drive was the most terrifying thing i have ever done. It has taken until now to not feel nervous doing my usual routes. I only drive to work and short distances and i doubt i will ever drive on the motorway. So glad i did it
I thought I'd never drive on a motorway... Then my sat nav failed me and I ended up taking a little jaunt onto the m25 by mistake 😂 realised I was able to do it though, so that really helped my anxieties. Well done on passing! 👍

Try the motorway honestly!! I was a very anxiously nervous driver so you can imagine my horror at anyone trying to get me on the motorway however when I had my auto car around the 2 month mark, I got lost and ended up on the bloody M6 of all motorways! After the initial panic, it was completely fine and within the year, Ive done more than 10+ motorway journeys with others and myself. Actually my fave type of journeys now as my music is so loud with no judgement of others haha! Start off on the A roads on a Sunday morning and gradually build yourself up! The longer you leave it, the more scary you'll make it x

I passed my theory 1st time, but it took me 6 attempts to pass my practical test - nerves just got the better of me and i'd make stupid mistakes.
Even after passing I was a very nervous driver and despite having my licence for about 2.5 years now I have made a handful of journeys outside of my small village, the last of these being over a year ago. The thought of getting behind the wheel these days gives me a full blown panic attack, so I really feel like I wasted so much time and money. I'm hoping that when my partner and I get a new car we can get an automatic as I feel like that would help (as one of the things that makes me most nervous is stalling).

I passed my theory 1st time, but it took me 6 attempts to pass my practical test - nerves just got the better of me and i'd make stupid mistakes.
Even after passing I was a very nervous driver and despite having my licence for about 2.5 years now I have made a handful of journeys outside of my small village, the last of these being over a year ago. The thought of getting behind the wheel these days gives me a full blown panic attack, so I really feel like I wasted so much time and money. I'm hoping that when my partner and I get a new car we can get an automatic as I feel like that would help (as one of the things that makes me most nervous is stalling).
If you don’t get an automatic get a stop start manual. I have one and if you do stall, as soon as your out your foot on the clutch it gets going and your don’t really stop at all. I went through a phase at panicking and stalling at roundabouts and I quickly got over it with this feature. I also have a fear of rolling back and it has an anti roll on it too!

Don't use any apps for the theory test other than the official one, that way you know it's correct. My instructor told me about a previous pupil who failed his theory twice, and it turned out the app he was using was giving him some incorrect information.

On a practical test the examiner will ask you on a couple of occasions to pull over and secure your vehicle, then move away when you are ready. "When you are ready" is the important part, if you are a nervous driver, use this as an opportunity to take a deep breath, have a quick drink of water, or pop a mint in your mouth. Just tell the examiner "I just need a quick drink" or whatever so they know what you're doing.

I tried learning in my 20s and although I could drive the car o.k I couldn't pass the tests because I kept having panic attacks before it basically. So I've never been a car driver and get around now mainly by bike for localish journeys.
What I would say is get an instructor who if hes a man has a very good reputation and isn't a sleaze. I had 2 who were sleazes one put his hand on my arm and tried to feel it. Another kept looking very deeply into my eyes, asked if I was married and said his wife did'nt understand him!. You can really do without this as a young woman. So either get a woman or a man who has a good local reputation.