Dr Jessica Taylor

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I nearly edited my last post to add this at the end šŸ¤£. I have a short fringe and she makes me question my decision, although I'm pretty sure my friends wouldn't be seen with me if I had that sort of hedge trimmer job.

Sure you did Jess šŸ˜‚.
That story is up there with Jack Monroe 'finding' that Burberry scarf in a puddle... :censored:

• Haha
Reactions: 12
She has said something about an academic slating her. I can't remember if it was bullying or something else.
It's definitely not just one. I'm a former academic and I think her 'work' is completely lacking rigour. Someone else has highlighted this but her presentation of stats is misleading and unethical, when she said X% of women rather than X% of those who answered etc. She will definitely have done stats on her PhD so there's no excuse.
The alarm bells started to ring for me when I read her poor explanation of why she doesn't publish her work in academic journals etc. Her reason sounds convincing to the average person - I'm not denying that accessibility with academic work is a problem, but there are ways around it, such as publishing only in open access journals or paying for open access to those where it isn't free. The fact that her 'work' has no institutional oversight, isn't peer reviewed and looked at by any ethics committee or colleagues etc basically makes it useless. Anyone can make up any old results in those circumstances, there is a reason that academia has these 'bureaucratic' processes and it's to ensure people don't get away with e.g. stealing people's stories and presenting it as academic work without consent. They're not perfect but it's better than nothing.

The way she tells half a story is intentional I think - it's meant to make your mind fill in the gaps.
I was going to say this, she definitely hints at things to lead your mind a certain way with the safety of being able to say 'well you made that assumption, I never said it.'

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I'm so glad this is coming out. I always felt she was 'off' - and couldn't work out why because she is doing 'such good work'. I was a bit šŸ§ when she got all chummy with The Slumflower/Chidera Eggerue.

Reactions: 11
I'm so glad this is coming out. I always felt she was 'off' - and couldn't work out why because she is doing 'such good work'. I was a bit šŸ§ when she got all chummy with The Slumflower/Chidera Eggerue.
Chidera is another one saying precisely duck all original, like she invented feminism. Absolute delusions of grandeur but anyone questioning it is racist, of course.

• Heart
I really think sheā€™s been diagnosed BPD and not liking her own diagnosis is her reason for all the bollocks she spouts about BPD not being real etc. Sheā€™s so full of bullshit that itā€™s unreal.

I also find it utterly bizarre that she presents herself as this anti sexual abuse type personality when she clearly groomed Jaimi.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I really think sheā€™s been diagnosed BPD and not liking her own diagnosis is her reason for all the bollocks she spouts about BPD not being real etc. Sheā€™s so full of bullshit that itā€™s unreal.
Spot on. She reminds me so much of the BPD people I know. I have lots of empathy for them but they are often manipulative fantasists constantly trying to rewrite the narrative of their own lives to portray themselves as the hero or victim in every situation. Never any grey areas.

Reactions: 13
Dr Jess's research is SO "groundbreaking" that she has published 21 articles (none of them are published in peer review journals and most are self-published) with only 40 citations (most likely self-citations). She has zero credibility in the field of forensic psychology

1651585198178.png

• Wow
Spot on. She reminds me so much of the BPD people I know. I have lots of empathy for them but they are often manipulative fantasists constantly trying to rewrite the narrative of their own lives to portray themselves as the hero or victim in every situation. Never any grey areas.
I think thatā€™s why so many of us see Jack Monroeā€™s behaviour as really similar to Jess. Iā€™m not sure whether JM fits the criteria for BPD, but there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that sheā€™s in that Cluster B zone. She fits basically all of them.

The fact that her 'work' has no institutional oversight, isn't peer reviewed and looked at by any ethics committee or colleagues etc basically makes it useless.
Iā€™m interested that youā€™ve said that because she has a LOT of books for sale - mainly guides for parents and schools around CSA/CRE and ā€œreflexive journalsā€ (not even sure what they are tbh) for professionals working with traumatised people.

Thereā€™s one co-authored with Jaimi and that one in particular had alarm bells ringing with me. Getting your girlfriend on board to write one of your books? Is she qualified? I could see then that these books are basically self-published vanity projects and I doubted VERY much that there was peer review or editing or consultation with any external agency or charity? The cover art looks slick and is exactly in the style of academic/medical publishing. But is she actually a charlatan?

Attachments

Reactions: 10
I actually think she makes really good points about the way in which womens trauma is overdiagnosed and treated as illness and can be used against them to remove their rights. But I think her lack of transparency and lackadaisical approach to the truth undermine her credibility.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Iā€™m interested that youā€™ve said that because she has a LOT of books for sale - mainly guides for parents and schools around CSA/CRE and ā€œreflexive journalsā€ (not even sure what they are tbh) for professionals working with traumatised people.

Thereā€™s one co-authored with Jaimi and that one in particular had alarm bells ringing with me. Getting your girlfriend on board to write one of your books? Is she qualified? I could see then that these books are basically self-published vanity projects and I doubted VERY much that there was peer review or editing or consultation with any external agency or charity? The cover art looks slick and is exactly in the style of academic/medical publishing. But is she actually a charlatan?
I'm glad you mentioned this because I was going to highlight it and forgot.
Jaimi has an undergraduate degree in politics. Literally no relevant expertise whatsoever. She's also self funding her PhD I believe, so hasn't even done a master's degree. It beggars belief that her job title is 'Head of Research & Development' at VictimFocus, an undergraduate degree in no way qualifies her for such a position.

Reactions: 16
I think thatā€™s why so many of us see Jack Monroeā€™s behaviour as really similar to Jess. Iā€™m not sure whether JM fits the criteria for BPD, but there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that sheā€™s in that Cluster B zone. She fits basically all of them.
I agree. I think Jess is much more high-functioning and appears way more credible than Jack but the underlying traits are similar.

I remember when Jack was first on the scene maybe a decade ago, a little bit longer? And it was immediately obvious that her story about having to leave her Ā£30k+ was utter bollocks. Jack is way more transparent with her bullshit than Jess is, how she hasn't been cancelled remains a bloody mystery.

Reactions: 7
She is still saying that BPD doesn't really exist, a week or so ago she said so on the Victimfocus blog in reference to Johnny Depp's lawyers calling a psychologist to testify that Amber Heard has it

Reactions: 1
I just looked at her website and she's advertising a lot of jobs, one of which is a Volunteer Researcher. So, you come along and do loads of research and get Ā£0.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
I just looked at her website and she's advertising a lot of jobs, one of which is a Volunteer Researcher. So, you come along and do loads of research and get Ā£0.
Yes there was some chat about this a while ago on Twitter. Jean Hatchet posted an ad noting that the skills and experience needed were postgraduate level and it should be a paid role. Jaimi responded saying it was for women who couldnā€™t receive pay because of benefits but were trying to get work experience (which strikes me as bullshit because if it was properly paid and flexible around childcare as you would expect from a supposedly feminist organisation then it wouldnā€™t matter if it affected benefits, and if itā€™s to gain work experience it would need to be much lower level work).

I do think Jean has a bit of an axe to grind and Iā€™m not really a fan, but Jess and Jaimi do like to frame legitimate criticism as bullying. Jaimiā€™s mum even got into the fray.

This thread is making me realise I spend too much time looking at Twitter beef ha.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Yes there was some chat about this a while ago on Twitter. Jean Hatchet posted an ad noting that the skills and experience needed were postgraduate level and it should be a paid role. Jaimi responded saying it was for women who couldnā€™t receive pay because of benefits but were trying to get work experience (which strikes me as bullshit because if it was properly paid and flexible around childcare as you would expect from a supposedly feminist organisation then it wouldnā€™t matter if it affected benefits, and if itā€™s to gain work experience it would need to be much lower level work).

I do think Jean has a bit of an axe to grind and Iā€™m not really a fan, but Jess and Jaimi do like to frame legitimate criticism as bullying. Jaimiā€™s mum even got into the fray.

This thread is making me realise I spend too much time looking at Twitter beef ha.
Slightly off topic but wasnā€™t there some sort of accusation about Jean and some fundraiser at one stage too?

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Slightly off topic but wasnā€™t there some sort of accusation about Jean and some fundraiser at one stage too?
Vet bills wasnā€™t it? Jeanā€™s another one who does some brilliant things and a lot of good but sometimes engages in questionable squabbles/attention seeking type activity.

Reactions: 9
Who wants research work experience with someone who is a dodgy researcher and someone else who only has an undergraduate degree? The arrogance is astounding, I can't see that experience ever being useful to someone who might want to use it to pursue proper research after

Reactions: 13
Yes, one over questions of her buying a very fancy new bike on her charity rides and one over vet bills for the dog. It was very sad what happened to the poor dog but I always find it weird when objectively well-off people crowdfund for relatively trivial stuff in the knowledge that less well-off people will contribute.

Reactions: 9

Can't you work 16 hours a week before benefits are affected? I've thankfully never had to claim benefits so my knowledge may be innacurate or outdated, but it's gross they're advertising for unpaid work. I'm sure they'd be the first to call it out as exploitative if any other business was doing the same.

Reactions: 6
I was going to say this, she definitely hints at things to lead your mind a certain way with the safety of being able to say 'well you made that assumption, I never said it.'
Sheā€™s not the only one. Iā€™m sure youā€™ve read Jamie Wallis MPā€™s statement about coming out as trans. So very carefully worded to avoid directly saying anything but hoping that the reader will mistakenly infer things.

The Guardian is already repeating as gospel that he was clinically diagnosed with gender dysphoria as a child, despite him not saying that at all in his statement.

These shysters boil my piss.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.