Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yep I’m sorry to hear they are ending it too, but it sort of makes sense to me based on how long they’ve been doing it. It must be so much work to keep on top of everything every week, as well as do other work / writing etc

Honestly, maybe it’s easy for me to say because I haven’t listened for a while, but definitely seems like a good time to end it.

Also, perhaps this is really mean of me, but it’s the best move for Dolly career-wise to remove her association with Pandora, at least in my opinion.

Almost all of us are in agreement that Dolly is more talented, more self-aware, has more of an interesting take on things. She is more primed for the sort of cultural commentator/millennial spokesperson than Pandora, for sure, and I expect she’s in demand in some circles. I also think the bulk of criticism of them being “posh podcasters” has really been at Pandora downplaying her background, as evidenced by this thread. In comparison, Dolly is of more of an expected privilege level for someone in the London-centric publishing and media world, and without Pandora, I can’t imagine the tag will stick.

Ultimately, Dolly has actually achieved a lot more individual success than Pandora during The High Low years. If I were to advise Pandora, I’d tell her to now angle for a Sunday Times home section column and/or a Homes & Gardens magazine editorial role, or go back to fashion editorial. She could do both with her eyes closed and it would hugely lessen the public scrutiny of her if she sticks to what she knows.

Reactions: 24
Honestly, maybe it’s easy for me to say because I haven’t listened for a while, but definitely seems like a good time to end it.

Also, perhaps this is really mean of me, but it’s the best move for Dolly career-wise to remove her association with Pandora, at least in my opinion.

Almost all of us are in agreement that Dolly is more talented, more self-aware, has more of an interesting take on things. She is more primed for the sort of cultural commentator/millennial spokesperson than Pandora, for sure, and I expect she’s in demand in some circles. I also think the bulk of criticism of them being “posh podcasters” has really been at Pandora downplaying her background, as evidenced by this thread. In comparison, Dolly is of more of an expected privilege level for someone in the London-centric publishing and media world, and without Pandora, I can’t imagine the tag will stick.

Ultimately, Dolly has actually achieved a lot more individual success than Pandora during The High Low years. If I were to advise Pandora, I’d tell her to now angle for a Sunday Times home section column and/or a Homes & Gardens magazine editorial role, or go back to fashion editorial. She could do both with her eyes closed and it would hugely lessen the public scrutiny of her if she sticks to what she knows.
I think this is a bit harsh on the old Pandy, she had two babies during the HL years, and sorry but I cannot stand the idea of people being better off "sticking to what they know" - I know it's not you saying that, it's that people will be less critical of her if she does, but F that!

Reactions: 5
I think this is a bit harsh on the old Pandy, she had two babies during the HL years, and sorry but I cannot stand the idea of people being better off "sticking to what they know" - I know it's not you saying that, it's that people will be less critical of her if she does, but F that!
Oh I agree she’s done extremely well, especially having her children while doing The High Low, I just think that she doesn’t have the writing talent to continue down the path she attempted with her book and her recent woeful Evening Standard article about Chrissy Teigen.

Perhaps it’s mean but I just don’t think she has the talent or courage to be a cultural commentator. By writing (or talking) about the things she is passionate and knowledgeable about, like home design/fashion/literature, then there is a passion, conviction and authenticity that she isn’t able to muster when she writes about pop culture, millennial issues etc.

Obviously she’s better at talking about that stuff than writing about it, but it’s just that doing another podcast now along the same lines of The High Low would be a mistake - it would only be compared unfavourably to THL.

Reactions: 6

By sticking to luxury fashion and interiors, she’ll receive less criticism (she’s been quite open about how she struggles with criticism) and probably achieve more success - of course she doesn’t have to stick to one thing but it is hard to appeal to the masses with a background, experience and views like hers.

If Pandora had kept her personal life more private, it would have helped her image with a wider audience. Showing off every inch of her ££££ house solidified her status within the elite, but irritated many listeners who live very, very differently. I think she realises this and it is probably the reason she has withdrawn from Instagram a bit and is constantly talking about finding stuff on eBay for a tenner! That said, it’s not just about her wealth, many HL podcast reviews mention her snobbishness.

Curious as to what Dolly will do next...

Reactions: 7
I hope that Dolly will take some time now and work on her writing. If she wants to be a novelist, she needs to get better. Yes Ghosts sold well, but it’s absolute rubbish.

Reactions: 8
I can’t believe there is a thread on these two that I totally missed. I have to say that like many of you I do like Dolly, but I find Pandora a bit grating (and her writing atrocious).

I stopped listening to their podcast because I found they were starting to sound too preachy and it was turning all a bit pseudo intellectual. They were overthinking everything they discussed to the point that the joy was totally sucked out of it... fun tv shows were suddenly ruined and overanalysed. I feel like they try and sound intelligent but it’s so surface level, like first year university students. Plus on almost every show I heard something I knew to be factually inaccurate which got on my nerves.

Anyway I thought I would give this one another go after I saw they were ending it, and I don’t know if anyone else cracked up when they played May it Be and one of them was like... I could see this in a film. I mean it is literally the theme tune to the little known ... Lord of the Rings. I truly don’t think they google/fact check half the stuff they chat about.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
YES! have they even heard of Enya?!

Even if this was more obscure it would take a few seconds of googling the song to avoid... I thought they had a fact checker!

I can’t believe there is a thread on these two that I totally missed. I have to say that like many of you I do like Dolly, but I find Pandora a bit grating (and her writing atrocious).

I stopped listening to their podcast because I found they were starting to sound too preachy and it was turning all a bit pseudo intellectual. They were overthinking everything they discussed to the point that the joy was totally sucked out of it... fun tv shows were suddenly ruined and overanalysed. I feel like they try and sound intelligent but it’s so surface level, like first year university students. Plus on almost every show I heard something I knew to be factually inaccurate which got on my nerves.

Anyway I thought I would give this one another go after I saw they were ending it, and I don’t know if anyone else cracked up when they played May it Be and one of them was like... I could see this in a film. I mean it is literally the theme tune to the little known ... Lord of the Rings. I truly don’t think they google/fact check half the stuff they chat about.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
😂😂😂 I forgot about that part but I did also shake my head in disbelief at May It Be! Pandora has often said how clueless she is about music but this did make me laugh.

YES! have they even heard of Enya?!

Even if this was more obscure it would take a few seconds of googling the song to avoid... I thought they had a fact checker!
I was shaking my head in disbelief too! Enya is a very well known artist and the song May It Be is also widely known. Isn’t Lord of the Rings one of the most successful film series of all time?! Stick to regurgitating stories from The Week, Pandy! 😂

Reactions: 4
Haven’t listened for a while but really enjoyed the last episode, got quite teary at a few bits!

Did anyone else find Graham Norton totally boring on the podcast? I think he’s a much better interviewer than interviewee!

I’m really enjoying the last episode, they mention they’re doing it in person for the first time in ages (socially distanced), I wonder if Zoom impacted its brilliance slightly?

was sad Pandora said she’d suffered PND!

why do you think they ended it?

Reactions: 5
I enjoyed Graham actually..

Agree that the podcast seems to be a lot better when theyre in person recording

Did anyone else find Graham Norton totally boring on the podcast? I think he’s a much better interviewer than interviewee!

I’m really enjoying the last episode, they mention they’re doing it in person for the first time in ages (socially distanced), I wonder if Zoom impacted its brilliance slightly?

ironically since doing it on zoom, the audio quality seemed to improve tenfold 😂

I enjoyed Graham actually..

Agree that the podcast seems to be a lot better when theyre in person recording
I really enjoyed Graham, think it’s because he toned it down in this interview, perhaps we’re not used to it!

Reactions: 2
When I heard they were ending it I thought corrr they’ve got some confidence in their writing abilities 👀

Which sounds mean, I liked dolly’s first book - it wasn’t a masterpiece though. I cannot stand her weekly advice column and think it’s poorly written regurgitated crap and it really annoys me when she shares her advice on a weekly basis as if it’s profound and groundbreaking. I haven’t read Pandora’s book but have heard the critique and I think judging by her Twitter behaviour that she cannot take criticism so maybe needs to rethink public life.

all that being said THL was special and I’ll miss it.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Yeah i think the High Low ending definitely has a lot to do with the fact that they have both released their first books.

I liked Dollys and hope future books will improve. I didnt read Pandas as its not the type of thing that i'd read

I thought it was interesting that they shared a Telegraph article about the show on their social media that had a little bit of criticism in, about how the time is right for the show to end. It was overwhelmingly positive otherwise. Made me think that they agree with what's been said on here.

Reactions: 3

Me too. Had a real empathy attack for her there. Very rough year to lose a godson so terribly young and then suffer PND whilst having the most full on year of your career. Also makes sense when you think about how she veered away from current affairs and anything too depressing. Been there. It’s hideous. She’s done amazingly well.

I think maybe they considered finishing it earlier but it was such a big platform to give up the year both were publishing books. Also, it would maybe have been easier to carry on and maintain a bit of normality in what otherwise sounds like a terrible year.

I imagine Pandora is a 5 year plan gal and not someone who sits back to see how something will pan out (no pun intended).

I think Dolly is just thoroughly fed up and feels over-exposed. She’s mentioned in a few places that she no longer likes to give as much of herself away in her work. She’s come off Twitter and other socials and shows no signs of wanting to continue with podcasts. I think she might move more towards tv and film writing and write more novels.

I am very interested in what they will both do next.

Also, was it just me or did the philosophy book/ cards for kids sound like a paid promo? It was so wooden and crowbarred in.

DOLLY ‘ and is that all available on the -company name- website Panda?’
PANDA ‘yes it is Dolly,’

I shed a few tears listening. Mostly due to Pandora’s brief opening up and some of the listeners heartbreaking stories.

All in all job well done.

Reactions: 8
I thought the same thing re the philosophy thing - very much sounded like a script

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.