Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m concerned they won’t because they maybe don’t want to be labelled as podcasters anymore, being serious authors n all
I agree with this. I don’t see Dolly doing another podcast. She’s made clear she’s a writer and she’s always been very firm about not doing more Love Stories. Bold career move though as now she’s off social media she won’t really have much of a public profile. In a few years will the buzz about her still be going and will people still flock to buy her next book?
Pandora I think is much more likely to do something else if she can find the right project

Reactions: 6
Oh I feel very sad on listening this morning, it really is the end of an era. I haven't enjoyed it as much for a few months, but as a previous poster said it makes sense that their hearts maybe weren't in it anymore.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I wonder if it was a nod to tattle or twitter discourse when pandora said she will miss most of the listeners...

Ah I will miss the posh voices and intelligent conversation. Where will I hear the word parlance in regular conversation? Certainly not, say, in the at home with Anna and lily podcast. Maybe such insulting comparisons forced them to quit lol

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I do think it’s absolute tripe that they intended to end it now as early as last July. I’ll miss their recommendations, especially books and long reads.

Reactions: 8
I do think it’s absolute tripe that they intended to end it now as early as last July. I’ll miss their recommendations, especially books and long reads.
They’ve just tweeted saying they always planned for it to only be 4 years. I don’t buy it either, and wonder if they’ve had a falling out.

I like that they’re doing a charity episode too, I will definitely pay to listen to that.

Have to admit I’m really sad. Listening has provided some much needed escapism and great recommendations. During lockdown it’s been great to listen in to ‘girly chat’, especially when I haven’t been able to see my own friends. I’ve listened to loads of other podcasts, but none quite as interesting or fun.

Reactions: 13
I don't know if they would have had a falling out as they added that as a disclaimer to the episode and they still seem to get along well, but I do agree it's odd and a shame. I guess they both just feel like they could use the time for something else, maybe something more 'fulfilling' whether it's family time or writing time. I do wonder how well off they are that they can relinquish the ad money, I guess Dolly has done wildly well with her books but I don't know about Pandora truth be told? I guess she has family wealth, an executive husband, the occasional article and her book.

Reactions: 3
I don't know if they would have had a falling out as they added that as a disclaimer to the episode and they still seem to get along well, but I do agree it's odd and a shame. I guess they both just feel like they could use the time for something else, maybe something more 'fulfilling' whether it's family time or writing time. I do wonder how well off they are that they can relinquish the ad money, I guess Dolly has done wildly well with her books but I don't know about Pandora truth be told? I guess she has family wealth, an executive husband, the occasional article and her book.
I don’t think they’d admit to having a barmy though. It may be more of a drifting apart than a full on falling out. I just can’t understand why they’d end it otherwise? They clearly get loads of ad revenue and have benefitted from enhanced book sales too.

Reactions: 2
I don’t think they’d admit to having a barmy though. It may be more of a drifting apart than a full on falling out. I just can’t understand why they’d end it otherwise? They clearly get loads of ad revenue and have benefitted from enhanced book sales too.
It could be a million other things other than them not being close anymore and I really don’t think that is the case. As others have said, it seems like their hearts haven’t been in it for a while, both want to present themselves as serious writers rather than podcasters, both are busy with other projects and family life etc etc. Four years is a long time to be doing it so I guess it just seems like time. The shine had gone off it and their recommendations were starting to fall behind a bit, seems like the right time.

I also slightly get the impression that Dolly wants to have a less public profile now. She was on Shameless and talked about how dating has been really hard after publishing her book and I’ve also heard her say other things about not being comfortable with the way fans see her eg girls texting her saying they were doing lines of Coke off the back of her book as an homage. Don’t blame her if she just wants a quieter life

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I think they've had so much criticism over the last year, I don't blame them for wanting a lower profile. Particularly as a lot of the criticism has been on Twitter and from other journalists and writers.

They've also been held up as what's wrong with media (white, privileged) whereas they do actually seem to try and give space to diverse voices on the podcast.

I wish they'd reduced the frequency rather than just stopping it. I'll be paying for the final show as overall I've loved the podcast and think Dolly and Pandora are generally good people.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
It could be a million other things other than them not being close anymore and I really don’t think that is the case. As others have said, it seems like their hearts haven’t been in it for a while, both want to present themselves as serious writers rather than podcasters, both are busy with other projects and family life etc etc. Four years is a long time to be doing it so I guess it just seems like time. The shine had gone off it and their recommendations were starting to fall behind a bit, seems like the right time.

I also slightly get the impression that Dolly wants to have a less public profile now. She was on Shameless and talked about how dating has been really hard after publishing her book and I’ve also heard her say other things about not being comfortable with the way fans see her eg girls texting her saying they were doing lines of Coke off the back of her book as an homage. Don’t blame her if she just wants a quieter life
I hope you’re right. One of the reasons I like Dolly so much is how passionately she seems to feel about her friendships. My own best friend emigrated to the other side of the world earlier this year, so I guess hearing Dolly and Pandora’s weekly musings has helped fill the gap a bit. I’ll miss it.

Reactions: 5

where did she say about the people doing coke in homage, i'd like to listen to that interview

Reactions: 4
Yes I had to laugh react that comment haha, never heard it before, it's quite hilarious (though I don't do coke myself). I've got my ticket for the final show too, looking forward to it already, will enjoy it with a glass of wine and I'm glad they're giving money to that particular charity.

That comment about Dolly and her friends though, however much I enjoyed her book (and wish I hadn't lost my copy!), part of it aggravated the chip on my shoulder because personally it seemed so many of her female friendships were a result of the privileged upbringing and education where she could meet people who were so similar to her? I don't feel like I can explain this well enough, but even at uni etc I just struggled to make friends because I didn't meet that many people similar to me, and I always felt like an outsider looking in at people like Dolly and Pandora just sailing (sometimes literally) through uni with friends from school, or friends of friends because they're all in the same privileged circles.

Reactions: 11
where did she say about the people doing coke in homage, i'd like to listen to that interview
It’s from her ‘in conversation’ style interview with Caroline O’Donoghue in the Irish Examiner https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40068521.html
It’s a good read of an interview anyway.

side note - Caroline O’Donoghue is fab and her two books are really great (especially her debut) and if you’re looking for podcast recommendations, she does Sentimental Garbage discussing books dismissed as chick lit which is really great!

Reactions: 6
I do buy that they planned to finish up this year. In retrospect recent podcasts, especially last week when they made it clear they could not be arsed even having a pre-podcast chat, have reminded me of the last weeks of a job you know you’re leaving.

It’s felt like they are going through the motions and as though they both feel they have nothing else to give. Pandora gets most of her news stories from The Week but only references the original source so that it sounds as if she has read everything rather than a condensed digest. Dolly has seems utterly fed up and they both must be exhausted from the endless book promo.

I think back to the earlier days and how passionate about news stories they both were and how I’d often come away from an episode feeing like my opinion had shifted on something and excited to seek out a recommendation. For me, it’s been quite a while since I’ve felt that spark and I’m glad they are pulling the plug because I would’ve kept listening regardless for ever more.

Reactions: 12
I think we have to all respect that people and their priorities change, perhaps they felt pressure to keep up with current topics and have an opinion on them, and wanted to try something new? cutting such a big revenue stream mustn't have been an easy decision!

I think they've had so much criticism over the last year, I don't blame them for wanting a lower profile. Particularly as a lot of the criticism has been on Twitter and from other journalists and writers.

They've also been held up as what's wrong with media (white, privileged) whereas they do actually seem to try and give space to diverse voices on the podcast.

I wish they'd reduced the frequency rather than just stopping it. I'll be paying for the final show as overall I've loved the podcast and think Dolly and Pandora are generally good people.
I’ve found particularly in the last 2 months that the podcast has been lacking, some weeks it hasn’t been released until the Wednesday, or late on the Tuesday.
It is understandable, though. Their content is usually somewhat intellectual and there must be some weeks when they have an already busy schedule and need to make sure to find the time read and watch tv in the hopes of finding something to recommend on the podcast.

Reactions: 5
Even though it’s lost its spark over the last few months and became quite monotonous, I will miss it. I think it’s a smart decision on their part though. Far better to go out on a high than continue flogging a dead horse. I’ll be really interested to see what they do next.

Reactions: 8
I’ve felt for a while now that Dolly doesn’t need the podcast, but I feel Pandora does? I remember after Dolly’s memoir came out THL listeners skyrocketed (they definitely had a fan base before but I do think the popularity of Dolly’s book grew THL). I feel Dolly is well known enough now to not need it but not sure how Pandora will go on? I know she has other work but you know.

Reactions: 4
I am really sad about the news! THL has always been my favourite podcast and there isn’t anything else quite like it. Will be interesting to see what Pandora and Dolly do next. Seems odd to end it surely an extended break or less frequent episodes would solve issues with finding recommendations/busy schedules? I don’t sense that they’ve fallen out though but who knows! I have my ticket for the last show- it will feel like saying goodbye to a friend!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.