Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Im not a big fan of weddings either tbh! Its okay not to love them you know!
Fair enough. Not everyone likes a party 🤷‍♀️ just think it’s a bit mean to constantly complain about them in public when clearly she has been to many of her pals’ weddings. And we know she loves being social so what is it about them?

Reactions: 3
I think maybe Dolly has been to so many, they are broadly the same day, let’s be honest. And they do remind you that you’re single! I think she took the piss out of hen parties a bit in her book too.

Reactions: 5
Funnily enough I’ve just seen a screen grab of her book on insta and it is a passage about marriage and the smugness of married couples 😅

Fine — I concede that not everyone likes weddings, apparently. 😉 But I’ll eat my hat if one day she doesn’t have a big ol’ wedding in some sort of flamboyant sixties wedding dress with kooky kohl eyeliner and a brigitte bardot hairdo.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Fair enough. Not everyone likes a party 🤷‍♀️ just think it’s a bit mean to constantly complain about them in public when clearly she has been to many of her pals’ weddings. And we know she loves being social so what is it about them?
I like a party. But its a party with a load of people you dont know and while they're a party its a very structured day, the strucutre ruins the fun.

Also they are an outrageously expensive day!

Reactions: 9
Im not a big fan of weddings either tbh! Its okay not to love them you know!
I don't like them either, especially the insane amount of money some people spend, but to liken them to a funeral is awful. So what does she do, just sit there sulking in a black dress?
:LOL:

Reactions: 12
I like a party. But its a party with a load of people you dont know and while they're a party its a very structured day, the strucutre ruins the fun.

Also they are an outrageously expensive day!
Yeah I love them for the fun factor but god recent ones I've been too have cost a damn fortune. And hen parties are so excessive. I like to go for the fun and to have a laugh but I would be happy with a local meal and night out for mine.

I’ll eat my hat if one day she doesn’t have a big ol’ wedding in some sort of flamboyant sixties wedding dress with kooky kohl eyeliner and a brigitte bardot hairdo.
Hahaha. So true. She seems like the type that would love just her own wedding as it's all about her.

Reactions: 7
I went to a wedding held on the Isle of Wight. The couple did not live there, nor have any connection to it. We booked a B&B, plus had to get a ferry there and back with a car + petrol. It was ok, but very expensive. Stayed for two nights. Food was available for the wedding lunch and then a BBQ that evening. The couple made a wedding list asking for money towards their honeymoon. It seemed strange to me that they got married so far away from their home and not where either of them grew up.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Funnily enough I’ve just seen a screen grab of her book on insta and it is a passage about marriage and the smugness of married couples 😅

Fine — I concede that not everyone likes weddings, apparently. 😉 But I’ll eat my hat if one day she doesn’t have a big ol’ wedding in some sort of flamboyant sixties wedding dress with kooky kohl eyeliner and a brigitte bardot hairdo.
I’d like to add ‘barefoot’ to your excellent prediction.

Also do you recall that ages ago when discussing Pandora’s wedding, dolly mentioned something about her dress and was being generally lovely about the wedding. They continued chatting and then pandora threw in a ‘don’t copy my dress though’ comment. It made me laugh at the time.

• Haha
Pandora of course had TWO wedding dresses/convertible single one because she is so fashiony. And I'm sure they were some sort of #SponCon because the magazines did a lot of coverage. Alice Temperley I think, likely connected through her excellent circle of posh-girl chums from boarding school. The church dress was long and Tory-pleasing, the second iteration removed the detachable skirt and made it short short short for soiree.
So Dolly has to wear a mid-calf one for her theoretical future wedding?

I’d like to add ‘barefoot’ to your excellent prediction.

Also do you recall that ages ago when discussing Pandora’s wedding, dolly mentioned something about her dress and was being generally lovely about the wedding. They continued chatting and then pandora threw in a ‘don’t copy my dress though’ comment. It made me laugh at the time.
I think she'll do a destination wedding on a beach, forcing all of her guests to fork out for flights/hotels etc

• Haha
I think she'll do a destination wedding on a beach, forcing all of her guests to fork out for flights/hotels etc
She’d be mad not to, the number of extended wedding celebrations she seems to have forked out for over the years.

• Haha
I've pre-ordered Dollys book and am really looking forward to it.

I like Dollys writing and think it will be an enjoyable few hours of reading

Reactions: 1
Did anyone read the extract of Dolly’s book in the ST Style this weekend? I honestly thought it was awful 🥴 everything was so overly described

Reactions: 6
Did anyone read the extract of Dolly’s book in the ST Style this weekend? I honestly thought it was awful 🥴 everything was so overly described
I agree. Could have been twice as good with half the descriptions.

I think Dolly is a good writer but fiction is a whole different ballgame to articles and memoir.

Isn't it interesting though that her book has an extract printed whereas Pandora's didn't get this honour? Speaks volumes about the quality of Pandora's writing (which I think was noted by someone else upthread)

Reactions: 7
I thought the references and explanation of ‘types’ on dating apps were trying a bit too hard. This is something I notice a lot in the light-hearted fiction written by (and for) 30-something women - multiple, ultimately pointless pop culture references which date very quickly.

I think Dolly is a good writer but fiction is a whole different ballgame to articles and memoir.

Isn't it interesting though that her book has an extract printed whereas Pandora's didn't get this honour? Speaks volumes about the quality of Pandora's writing (which I think was noted by someone else upthread)
Completely agree. I really like her writing and always read it but I was so disappointed by this - as a previous commenter posted a few pages back, it really does read just like semi trashy chick lit. There was a reference to sun-kissed toffee hair or something that just made me cringe!!!

Reactions: 4

Oh I really liked the extract! The only thing I didn't agree with was just those pigeonhole descriptions - they miss out my genre of preferred men entirely i.e. the foreigners!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Thoughts on this week’s podcast?
Overall I found it quite an enjoyable easy listen - seems they have their mojo back!
The only negative point for me was the skirting around the subject of miscarriage rather than have a real discussion.
100% think they either look on here or have people sending them things we say on her.

Thoughts on this week’s podcast?
Overall I found it quite an enjoyable easy listen - seems they have their mojo back!
The only negative point for me was the skirting around the subject of miscarriage rather than have a real discussion.
100% think they either look on here or have people sending them things we say on her.
More power to them if they’re using our comments as constructive criticism. I might even start listening to the podcast again.

Reactions: 8
More power to them if they’re using our comments as constructive criticism. I might even start listening to the podcast again.
I agree, maybe it’s a coincidence but the last few weeks I have found them a bit easier to listen to.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.