Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder if Pandora will earn out her advance. There was I think an 11 way auction for the publishing rights, so the advance may have been large, which will have been nice for her but make it much harder to earn out in the face of rapidly falling sales.
What happens if an author doesn’t earn out their advance? Do they have to pay it back or does the publisher just take the hit?

What happens if an author doesn’t earn out their advance? Do they have to pay it back or does the publisher just take the hit?
The publisher takes the hit, and obviously they will be reluctant to publish the author again. So a big advance can be a poisoned chalice...

Reactions: 4
I remember reading it was a six-figure advance (frustratingly, can’t find the original source). I’m sure Penguin can afford to take the hit

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Did anybody hear D and Ps reactions to Pheobe Waller Bridge on Elizabeth Days podcast? She was discussing privilege.
She was basically saying she was incredibly privileged - she went to RADA, private schools etc and was comfortable financially to be able to take time out to write etc. (This was in relation to Fleabag by the way). The long and short of it was that privilege didn’t write Fleabag - SHE wrote it FROM a position of privilege. Which I somewhat agreed with, not everyone with privilege has talent etc.
D&P said they didn’t agree? Basically, their point was that many people could write something similar if they’d had the same opportunities (which I also agree with). But how can they then completely disregard their own privilege when it comes to book deals etc? Any criticism regarding their own privilege gets instantly dismissed. Found it quite hypocritical.
I find that really hypocritical. Especially since it seems like Dolly’s second book and Pandora’s first aren’t that great. So clearly it’s not the case that anyone can write if they have those opportunities. I do think privilege helps. Obviously. But if you don’t have talent, you don’t have talent and no amount of money will fix it.

Reactions: 6
I am dying... two minutes in to their triumphant return, Pandora loudly and clearly calls Dolly ‘Dolly Anderton’ and neither of them acknowledges it. So much for being the best of buddies, can’t even get her name right! I thought I might be missing an inside joke but they wouldn’t pass up the chance to have a good old guffaw about it together if that was the case, surely.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Wow the Waterstones reviews of Pandora’s book are terrible, very similar to the opinions on this thread!

Reactions: 1
They've officially lost their touch. They've had an entire month off and then come back with 10 minutes of them waffling on about playing Scrabble? Beyond parody.

Reactions: 3
I am dying... two minutes in to their triumphant return, Pandora loudly and clearly calls Dolly ‘Dolly Anderton’ and neither of them acknowledges it. So much for being the best of buddies, can’t even get her name right! I thought I might be missing an inside joke but they wouldn’t pass up the chance to have a good old guffaw about it together if that was the case, surely.
It's an in joke from a previous episode

Pippy d’Fuckington aka Sporadic User of IG couldn’t resist another Instagram photo opportunity to show off her £1.3m home whilst looking smug 😝

Reactions: 9
Shoes on sofas and chairs makes me itch. HATE.
Her book begins with her plonking her shoes on the counter of the local corner shop to prove they aren't slippers and have proper soles. Maybe there was a spirit of fun and mischief about this as she claimed, but it struck me as just a little bit rude!

Reactions: 2
Does anyone else hate the High Low theme tune? I feel it's never matched the show. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Does anyone else hate the High Low theme tune? I feel it's never matched the show. 😂
Yes x 10. I think it's supposed to convey a mood of "jaunty" but I cringe every single time. I think Will Flirt for Dettol aka Dolly ANDerton's writing partner Benny Lauren or Lauren B or whoever she is did it. You get what you pay for.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Yes x 10. I think it's supposed to convey a mood of "jaunty" but I cringe every single time. I think Will Flirt for Dettol aka Dolly ANDerton's writing partner Benny Lauren or Lauren B or whoever she is did it. You get what you pay for.
I always hated the theme and Lauren always looks like a third rate Amy Winehouse. You *wish* you had her talent babes

I do actually really enjoy the podcast... these days. I remember first listening to it and finding it very inaccessible but I might have made the mistake of starting on a book episode. Since reading dolly’s book and taking some of her privileges on the chin I decided to give it a go and I am now a faithful listener. I can’t even say I’m a hate listener but I do sometimes cringe at what is said - ‘nervy b’, ‘panny d’, Pandora loving the sound of her own voice and the affected sincerities.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.