Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Agree about this week’s episode too, it was a good discussion. I’m hoping they’ve got their mojo back... to be fair they have been broadcasting throughout the pandemic and recording over zoom etc which isn’t easy. Having a new baby is bloody hard work too, so it’s understandable that they may have had a plateau.

Reactions: 2
Yep, I read that on Sunday and it's been doing the rounds since. She is absolutely right, but it's also an answer clearly inspired by the literature she has read by the likes of Ruby Tandoh etc.

I was excited to hear Dolly was on Off Menu this week! But was disappointed for her to remark she was glad they had emailed ahead with the format, I would have thought she had listed before being a podcat!! I've just listened now, it was an ok episode, and I always prefer knowing the guest... but wasn't amazingly entertaining, didn't learn anything new. Except of course Dolly's dream menu which felt rather sad. It was an artichoke and dip to start, clam spaghetti for main, hot cheetos for a side, and cheese and quince jelly to finish, not even with bread or crackers :( Can not remember about bread lol.

Agree. Has anyone read Ghosts yet? Sorry if already discussed on this thread. I think I might give it a go, possibly the audio version
My pre-order is due to arrive tomorrow. Given the increased restrictions in my area i'm really hoping that it will make the weekend an enjoyable one!

Yep, I read that on Sunday and it's been doing the rounds since. She is absolutely right, but it's also an answer clearly inspired by the literature she has read by the likes of Ruby Tandoh etc.
I saw when she promoted this on her insta she linked Ruby's book and Just Eat it by Laura Thomas as books that helped her so definitely inspired by them!

Reactions: 4
Agree. Has anyone read Ghosts yet? Sorry if already discussed on this thread. I think I might give it a go, possibly the audio version
I have and a couple of others have, but yes it's discussed a few pages back.
I personally thought it was okay until it got to the end part, totally dragged the book down in my opinion. It's not an awful book though, enjoyable and possibly maybe more so via audio (I always find this depends on the narrator).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
@TGreece76 I've also read it. It's a very ok book. I read a preview copy a while ago and all I can remember about it now is how unbelievable I found the relationship the main character gets into (the man is never painted as desirable in any way for the feelings he brings out in her) and that it had her standard moaning about weddings in it. It's certainly not a bad book but it's also not particularly good.

Reactions: 1
I shall probably buy it if/when it goes on offer on Kindle.

It’s funny though, because when Dolly announced Ghosts, over a year ago now, I was SO excited and really looking forward to reading it. I expect I’m not the only one who went from enthusiastic fan to disengaged and critical of them both?

Reactions: 5
I’m actually confident that I would enjoy what dolly wrote, and I will read it when it’s out in paperback, but I think it’s a shame that the writing is only a clear reflection of dolly’s experiences if that makes sense. Like it’s a single writer who uses dating apps with little luck. Contemporary but not the most original.

Sorry to derail but does anyone remember the name of the cookbook Dolly recommended where there were beautiful stories all the way through?

Sorry to derail but does anyone remember the name of the cookbook Dolly recommended where there were beautiful stories all the way through?
I didn't listen but was it Midnight Chicken? Dolly gave a quote for it and it's by Ella Risbridger who (used to be, don't think is now) a big part of the same crowd on Twitter.

Amazon product

I hope Private Eye reviews Dolly's book- they have surpassed themselves with their recent reviews of Pandora Sykes and Caitlin Moran.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.