Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Think a few people mentioned they wanted to read this from Private Eye just found a pic of it on my phone so sorry for the poor quality!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Think a few people mentioned they wanted to read this from Private Eye just found a pic of it on my phone so sorry for the poor quality!
I like that they highlighted her friends being on the cover talking about how good it is!

Reactions: 2
This is absolutely spot on! Doesn’t pull any punches, and having read a couple of the essays (admittedly not the whole thing) I completely agree. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: 3
Also definitely agree with this- I think it used to feel less formal and polished which made it more fun
I’ve found this with a few podcasts recently. I don’t know if it’s possibly because they aren’t doing them in person sitting together and just have notes and probably a rehearsal?

This has summed up every thought in this thread! Agree on reading being her ‘defining characteristic’. Despite working hard to distance herself (the boastful book stack posts etc) from her fashiony, Wardrobe Mistress days, she is known by most people as an Instagrammer, showing off the latest designer clobber from her walk in wardrobe. Walk in wardrobe pic now deleted of course ;)

Reactions: 6
I think that at least putting outfits together required independent thought. Her entire career now is just summing up the thoughts of others- whether it’s her literature review book or reading out the work of others on the HL. I think Dolly is very aware of the criticism the HL has been getting and has disengaged a little bit whereas Pandora, for all her faults, does have a very strong work ethic and wants to really push the HL. Dolly probably has more of a future career outside the podcast as well

I know someone who has met Pandora and apparently she is a complete witch. She turns up with an assistant and apparently just sat their stony faced the entire time, rolling her eyes. I find it very hard to listen to the high low and listen to her talk about her insecurities and trying to be so “woke” when I know she’s actually a complete cow. It’s a shame because I really, really like dolly.
I heard that too! She is really privileged and snooty, as are her sisters. They literally only ever provide societalite esque social commentary. Literally clueless about how the rest of us live. The circles and publications they write for make this clear - the elitist, judgey Manrepeller & Sunday Times Style. Hell, Pandora’s engagement was even in the Telegraph. We don’t need the perspective of these privileged gals - go tell your Tory friends over lunch at Liberty or wherever these types go!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Agree - Pandora’s writing is just not very good. I’m shocked she got a book deal! She’s obviously where she is because of mummy and daddy’s connections

I heard that too! She is really privileged and snooty, as are her sisters. They literally only ever provide societalite esque social commentary. Literally clueless about how the rest of us live. The circles and publications they write for make this clear - the elitist, judgey Manrepeller & Sunday Times Style. Hell, Pandora’s engagement was even in the Telegraph. We don’t need the perspective of these privileged gals - go tell your Tory friends over lunch at Liberty or wherever these types go!
I thought one of her sisters was a midwife. Are you think of Plum Sykes etc, who she isn't related to?

Reactions: 4
This weeks podcast sponsored by spotlight - is there any where i can go to get away from it?!!!

Would love to hear thoughts on Pandora’s article in the ST Style this weekend following the discussion about her BARGAIN lifestyle the other day... again, bragging about all the cheapo knickknacks she’s so cleverly found, little mention of the obscenely expensive items that make up the majority of her house and are what makes it look so lovely and expensive... I love a second hand find as much as the next person but I’m not going to pretend everything I have is vintage and affordable. It’s so ‘you commoners can get this look too! (If you also have £700 to spend on a single dining chair! 😂)’

Anyone not yet seen Pandora's vintage-decor shopping-tips article in today's Sunday Times? No mention of Scalamandre wallpaper or the Pierre Frey drapery. Just lots of pix of what looks like a (beloved) grandmother's tat. Pandy, thank you for informing Times UK readers on how to develop their own idiosyncratic style. For those readers who cannot afford to hire interior-design professionals to help them find their lewk.

• Haha
What’s the issue with her Times article? Whaddya mean, doesn’t your child have their own bathroom with a vintage sink and £150 per roll wallpaper? Aren’t the profits from your vintage bedside table going to help the homeless? Daaaahling! You need to read my book - you’re simply not ‘doing it right!’

Reactions: 1
What’s the issue with her Times article? Whaddya mean, doesn’t your child have their own bathroom with a vintage sink and £150 per roll wallpaper? Aren’t the profits from your vintage bedside table going to help the homeless? Daaaahling! You need to read my book - you’re simply not ‘doing it right!’
Stop- the vintage sink is in the child’s bathroom?! Omg I just can’t 🤦🏼‍♀️

Stop- the vintage sink is in the child’s bathroom?! Omg I just can’t 🤦🏼‍♀️
Well it’s not her main bathroom or her downstairs loo as both look completely different. Could be the en-suite to her bedroom but I think the child’s cup in the photo gives it away!

I cackled reading her article this morning when she went to great lengths to explain she grew up wearing hand-me-downs... I mean yeah, I’m sure you did. They weren’t bought from the High St originally though, were they?

Also quite amusing how a lot of her tips for secondhand furniture shopping revolved around travelling; skipping off to France for the weekend, buying antiques there, easy breezy.

Anyway, it’s nice Pandora is so concerned with the environment now, but I doubt many of us will be seeking out a Danish banana sofa and having a pal (Matilda Goad?) reupholster it.

Also, mega LOL at her “Mrs Christmas” coat. Only rich skinny white women can get away with something like that!

Reactions: 6
Yeah, the environmentally friendly angle (which feels half hearted anyway) is somewhat neutralised by jetting around to international flea markets.

• Haha
Well it’s not her main bathroom or her downstairs loo as both look completely different. Could be the en-suite to her bedroom but I think the child’s cup in the photo gives it away!
Totally agree!! Love the detective work

I cackled reading her article this morning when she went to great lengths to explain she grew up wearing hand-me-downs... I mean yeah, I’m sure you did. They weren’t bought from the High St originally though, were they?

Also quite amusing how a lot of her tips for secondhand furniture shopping revolved around travelling; skipping off to France for the weekend, buying antiques there, easy breezy.

Anyway, it’s nice Pandora is so concerned with the environment now, but I doubt many of us will be seeking out a Danish banana sofa and having a pal (Matilda Goad?) reupholster it.

Also, mega LOL at her “Mrs Christmas” coat. Only rich skinny white women can get away with something like that!
I just googled danish banana sofa and they average around £3k (second hand) .... thanks Panda another absolute bargain there!!!

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.