Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you all remember when Dolly was talking once about attending friends’ birthday parties? I remember Pandora saying it’s good etiquette to turn up and not cancel, and Dolly said sometimes you just HAVE to cancel. But her solution was to phone up the pub or venue and have a bottle of champagne delivered to the table. I’ve just revisited that and realised how bloody narcissistic that move is. Oh look at me, I’m amazing because the whole table will have to be interrupted as a bottle of Veuve is delivered — so although I can’t be bothered to attend your party, I’ll still steal the show.
sounds incredibly narcissistic ! Sounds like Dolly too though

It re
sounds incredibly narcissistic ! Sounds like Dolly too though
slightly different but it reminds me of people that wouldn’t volunteer/give time to a charity but instead throw money at it (anyone watch the hills back in the day ?. 😂)

Reactions: 2
Di
Do you all remember when Dolly was talking once about attending friends’ birthday parties? I remember Pandora saying it’s good etiquette to turn up and not cancel, and Dolly said sometimes you just HAVE to cancel. But her solution was to phone up the pub or venue and have a bottle of champagne delivered to the table. I’ve just revisited that and realised how bloody narcissistic that move is. Oh look at me, I’m amazing because the whole table will have to be interrupted as a bottle of Veuve is delivered — so although I can’t be bothered to attend your party, I’ll still steal the show.
Didn’t she get that from an episode of Sex and the City? *hides behind slogan cushion *

• Haha
Reactions: 7
haha, was literally thinking about that alexander petrovsky episode when he did that to carrie!
Hahahahaha oh god I have done this or something similar before, I live abroad and have missed almost every hen do I’ve ever been invited to because I’d rather take leave and pay for a plane for the wedding than the hen and I’m not made of money so usually can’t do both! 😂 Sometimes I’ve sent a bottle and other times just a little gift!

• Haha
Hahahahaha oh god I have done this or something similar before, I live abroad and have missed almost every hen do I’ve ever been invited to because I’d rather take leave and pay for a plane for the wedding than the hen and I’m not made of money so usually can’t do both! 😂 Sometimes I’ve sent a bottle and other times just a little gift!
Haha

I would say that’s a bit different though. It’s not some random night out.

Reactions: 2
Haha the latest issue of Private Eye completely skewers Pandora's book!

Reactions: 6
Just googled Pandora to see if anyone else was talking about the Private Eye article.

Look what Google told me!
C3F6E3F7-6B4C-4EA5-8CFC-E896163D331A.jpeg

• Haha
I won't share the full article as I don't think it's fair on Private Eye to share their content for free. (I'm a subscriber and it's definitely worth buying - only £2 per issue and there's a lot of other good Tattle fodder e.g. Meghan and Harry content)

The review essentially covers a lot of the points already made on this thread i.e. the arguments are flimsy, a lot of the contributors appear to be her media mates, questioning why Pandora presumes she can speak for millennial women, noting that, as Wardrobe Mistress for the Sunday Times, Pandora has possibly contributed to the problems with fast fashion and comparisonitis that she now bemoans.

My favourite bit is probably where the reviewer refers to the book as a collection of "essays" - yes, with quotation marks around "essays" - ouch!

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I won't share the full article as I don't think it's fair on Private Eye to share their content for free. (I'm a subscriber and it's definitely worth buying - only £2 per issue and there's a lot of other good Tattle fodder e.g. Meghan and Harry content)

The review essentially covers a lot of the points already made on this thread i.e. the arguments are flimsy, a lot of the contributors appear to be her media mates, questioning why Pandora presumes she can speak for millennial women, noting that, as Wardrobe Mistress for the Sunday Times, Pandora has possibly contributed to the problems with fast fashion and comparisonitis that she now bemoans.

My favourite bit is probably where the reviewer refers to the book as a collection of "essays" - yes, with quotation marks around "essays" - ouch!
Ouch! I’m definitely going to give it a read. I’d sort of forgotten about Private Eye.

its a relief that there is one publication that cuts through the sycophantic media crap.

I increasingly feel I have nowhere to turn in terms of book reviews as everyone is so scared of stepping out of line and then that’s echoed by legions of fans on twitter and Instagram.

Oh no, I can’t get the edition over here. The earliest for a subscription is the 28th August 😭

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I increasingly feel I have nowhere to turn in terms of book reviews as everyone is so scared of stepping out of line and then that’s echoed by legions of fans on twitter and Instagram.
Exactly this!! Too scared to step out of line and also seems everyone is too busy patting each other on the back no matter how good the book is just to make sure they get a good review for their cover in return.

If anyone has any good, honest book review websites/accounts would love to hear.

Reactions: 9
Exactly this!! Too scared to step out of line and also seems everyone is too busy patting each other on the back no matter how good the book is just to make sure they get a good review for their cover in return.

If anyone has any good, honest book review websites/accounts would love to hear.
I would too!

I’m also interested in the fan echo thing (it needs a name ). It’s almost the opposite of cancel culture whereby a person’s following is so strong and on message that no one dares to speak out or offer any form of criticism. I vaguely remember studying it back in the pre-social media world. I think it’s called ‘imagined audience’ and it’s where a publication/ persons ethos is emulated by their audience. The audience uses the same language, cultural shorthand etc as the person/ brand. Heat magazine did it brilliantly. Scott Mills is really good at it too but you see it everywhere now with social media.

I’m going to look up what I’m waffling about. Probably should’ve done that first and quoted accurately like a good girl.

Having v briefly looked it up it’s not quite what I mean. I think I mean a passive imagined audience. Their legion of fans all speak, look and act the same way and it’s in line with pandora and Dolly. You can hear it I’m the emails they read out (often painfully earnest -although often admittedly quite serious in subject matter - and always at pains to show how frightfully well read/ thoughtful and woke the person is). This comes from someone who has had an email read out. I was such a fan. Maybe I’m bowing out because I don’t read enough anymore to be part of the gang because I can’t find a fecking review I trust.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
you nailed it. I just finished Emma Gannon’s new novel because all the usual media types were raving about it. it was BAD. Like badly written teen fiction.

I would too!

I’m also interested in the fan echo thing (it needs a name ). It’s almost the opposite of cancel culture whereby a person’s following is so strong and on message that no one dares to speak out or offer any form of criticism. I vaguely remember studying it back in the pre-social media world. I think it’s called ‘imagined audience’ and it’s where a publication/ persons ethos is emulated by their audience. The audience uses the same language, cultural shorthand etc as the person/ brand. Heat magazine did it brilliantly. Scott Mills is really good at it too but you see it everywhere now with social media.

I’m going to look up what I’m waffling about. Probably should’ve done that first and quoted accurately like a good girl.

Having v briefly looked it up it’s not quite what I mean. I think I mean a passive imagined audience. Their legion of fans all speak, look and act the same way and it’s in line with pandora and Dolly. You can hear it I’m the emails they read out (often painfully earnest -although often admittedly quite serious in subject matter - and always at pains to show how frightfully well read/ thoughtful and woke the person is). This comes from someone who has had an email read out. I was such a fan. Maybe I’m bowing out because I don’t read enough anymore to be part of the gang because I can’t find a fecking review I trust.
I always assumed they made up the emails as they sound so much like they've been written in their "voice". Good to know it's not all contrived!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
you nailed it. I just finished Emma Gannon’s new novel because all the usual media types were raving about it. it was BAD. Like badly written teen fiction.
Oh, that's a shame. I thought that book looked quite interesting.

Reactions: 1
Emma Gannon is another one I don’t get. Her podcast is just quite dull? I don’t understand its popularity. I don’t mean to be bitchy, she seems nice and I like her fashion/sense of style.

Private Eye is good for scathing reviews - it's a tradition I think that nearly every book review they do is critical. They've definitely covered various mummy blogger books in the past too, although I can't remember which ones. They never attach a name to their reviewer which I think helps.

No idea about other book review sites, sadly - would also love to hear suggestions. I'd start one myself except as an aspiring author I don't want to annoy publishers and agents or people who might promote my book e.g. prominent podcasters... which I think is a big part of the problem!

Absolute drivel this book! I'm sure she only managed it because of the podcast and the success of the first book (although I have no idea how successful it was). This book felt like it was written by an inexperienced teenager, which would be fine if that was who she was but unbelievable that her publishers deemed this worthy to publish. She clearly cannot write.

Sorry I know this is off topic...

Reactions: 3
Private Eye is good for scathing reviews - it's a tradition I think that nearly every book review they do is critical. They've definitely covered various mummy blogger books in the past too, although I can't remember which ones. They never attach a name to their reviewer which I think helps.

No idea about other book review sites, sadly - would also love to hear suggestions. I'd start one myself except as an aspiring author I don't want to annoy publishers and agents or people who might promote my book e.g. prominent podcasters... which I think is a big part of the problem!
Maybe you could do an anonymous one if you are worried about putting off publishers and agents etc? Sorry if going off topic but I think there is definitely space for something like that!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.