Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I saw! I think she is stunning and I love looking at her outfit choices but....yeah...very vain!
She looks different in real life. Her selfie face is good but watch any video of her she looks totally different irl

Did anyone see Dolly's stories of her outfit on instagram. The narcissism is just so insane. I don't see what a previous commenter said about Pandora's vanity and eye bleeping herself as compared to Dolly's. I suppose they need to self-promote which requires a certain level of narcissism but I find Dolly's smugness and thirst-trapping, delighted-with-herself posts really quite vile.

I didn't read the book, what happened to her in New York?
It wasn’t too embarrassing actually in NY she just went to a tinder date persons house in middle of night and he wanted group sex and she said no and she went to sleep and the flat mate woke up and screamed get out witch or something like that.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Did anyone see Dolly's stories of her outfit on instagram. The narcissism is just so insane. I don't see what a previous commenter said about Pandora's vanity and eye bleeping herself as compared to Dolly's. I suppose they need to self-promote which requires a certain level of narcissism but I find Dolly's smugness and thirst-trapping, delighted-with-herself posts really quite vile.
Those posts always make me cringe. It seems like she desperately tries to be something she's not, but only when she's had a few drinks.

Reactions: 2

I didn't read the book, what happened to her in New York?
I find it funny that Dolly the author is turning into a glorified clothes horse on Insta and former wardrobe mistress Pandora is positioning herself as the thinking woman’s writer.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I finished Dolly's memoir today and really enjoyed it. It seems like her talent definitely lies in nonfiction writing. I wish she'd write more memoirs (clearly, she hasn't moved past her narcissism!)

I was listening to a podcast with Pandora recently (can't remember which one exactly, but it was one of the recent ones where she's promoting her book). Anyway, apparently her sister asked her if she would've gotten her job as Wardrobe Mistress at The Sunday Times if she wasn't thin or white and Pandora seemed taken aback, like she'd never considered her privilege before. Just astounding ignorance.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
some nice Kardashian bashing here from Panda Pop, why is she so bloody judgmental

Reactions: 1
Thats her being a bit tongue in cheek - have you not got a sense of humour?

Reactions: 21
Did anyone see Dolly's stories of her outfit on instagram. The narcissism is just so insane. I don't see what a previous commenter said about Pandora's vanity and eye bleeping herself as compared to Dolly's.
I didn’t compare Pandora to Dolly; I’m not the least bit interested in Dolly. I’ve never opened her Instagram page, let alone read anything she’s written or listened to anything she has recorded.

I’ve commented that Pandora’s strengths lie in fashion, interiors and travel, and that part of that her appeal is that she seems to own her vanity which makes for fantastic fashion photography as she loves the camera.

Thats her being a bit tongue in cheek - have you not got a sense of humour?
Yeah, I really wouldn’t call that “bashing” - or even especially close to it. ‘Kardashian’s at the Met’ , do I need to explain the metaphor - ok it’s saying imagine the people known for make up and dressing up at their most made / dressed up...

they aren’t even the butt of the joke, her kid is.
personally I find it kind of contrived and try hard but I know that’s me being unfair because she gets on my nerves. But it’s harmless. You must see that ?

Pandora has always been incredibly vain.

In fact, I secretly admire her for not trying to disguise her immense vanity, instead her Instagram feed is a number of images of her eye bleeping the camera and loving herself sick.
Honestly THIS. I am a pre-HighLow PanDolly listener and if one looks at the way that woman harnessed social media likes on IG--she would tally HUNDREDS in an hour's time with new posts back in 2015-17--into some actual career lift, and now has the cheek to be smugly superior and dismissive of the platform, it is minorly enraging. Those two probably made a small mint on their live-speaking gigs, which was only possible via IG numbers.
A low point for these two was last December when they devoted an entire episode to puzzing over "why" the Victoria's Secret fashion show was no longer relevant, failing to mention that the brand was once part of Leslie Wexner's empire and therefore tainted by Jeffrey Epstein; the brand was deployed to lure underage women into auditions to become models.
I am still mad at myself for not using "Will Flirt for Dettol" as a user name when I signed up here because that early "Panny D" (eyeroll backbend) IG post of Dolly's seems to kind of sum up her fatuous self-absorption.

Reactions: 10
I haven't met a single person IRL who liked Dolly's book. When it was on Netgalley the publishers were offering signed copies of the book to those who gave it a good review
?? I loved the book. Most of my friends did too. You haven't met a single person who did?! woah

Reactions: 5
Wow, that's quite a deleting spree. Shame she's deleting evidence of her privilege while a quick Google reveals the home and fashion shoots. Clearly positioning herself as a "serious author"
Prince Phillip is the first mourner listed in the Times' obituary notice for Pandora's grandfather in 2009 (as per protocol? I'm in the US). That should tell you everything you need to know about her privilege. There's privilege then there's the Duke of Edinburgh-Pals'-level privilege.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Just reading Bryony Gordon’s new book... as per, Dolly is quoted on the back!

Anyway, it’s about Bryony’s alcoholism and the stories in it are utterly shocking. She’s really, really put it all out there.

A thought keeps popping in my mind as I read it, and I don’t want to put too much stock in this because it’s just conjecture, but given the way Dolly talks about drinking, I’m glad she’s read it. It has occurred to me that Dolly often sounds like younger Bryony, back when Bryony was writing in The Telegraph about her party adventures and laughing off her drinking.

Reactions: 7
?? I loved the book. Most of my friends did too. You haven't met a single person who did?! woah
yes, and my friends are all the target demographic. Some are podcast listeners, some are not. Some are writers themselves. All disliked it. I won’t share their reasons for fear of offending those on this thread who obviously love it

Just reading Bryony Gordon’s new book... as per, Dolly is quoted on the back!

Anyway, it’s about Bryony’s alcoholism and the stories in it are utterly shocking. She’s really, really put it all out there.

A thought keeps popping in my mind as I read it, and I don’t want to put too much stock in this because it’s just conjecture, but given the way Dolly talks about drinking, I’m glad she’s read it. It has occurred to me that Dolly often sounds like younger Bryony, back when Bryony was writing in The Telegraph about her party adventures and laughing off her drinking.
I see a lot of Bryony in Dolly, who’s drinking behaviour always sets alarm bells off in me (I had a drinking problem in my 20s, got sober in my 30s)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
yes, and my friends are all the target demographic. Some are podcast listeners, some are not. Some are writers themselves. All disliked it. I won’t share their reasons for fear of offending those on this thread who obviously love it

I see a lot of Bryony in Dolly, who’s drinking behaviour always sets alarm bells off in me (I had a drinking problem in my 20s, got sober in my 30s)
I’d actually really like to read what you / they didn’t like about it, if you have the time. I’m interested as while I enjoyed it as a quick read, I’m a bit older and I was trying to figure out how much of experience and views are those of her peers.

Reactions: 2
I’d actually really like to read what you / they didn’t like about it, if you have the time. I’m interested as while I enjoyed it as a quick read, I’m a bit older and I was trying to figure out how much of experience and views are those of her peers.
I really disliked it and couldn't finish it. I just found it so self-involved, snotty, classist and humourless. One of the few bits I remember is where she made fun of a hypothetical person for wanting to buy a new-build flat in Penge (south London). I think, in her mind, she was making fun of the upwardly-mobile type who wants a nice but boring house in the suburbs. Maybe that kind of joke was funny 30 years ago. Now, given her position in society, it just felt like she was making fun of those with less money than her who were trying to build a good life for themselves.

(I live in Penge. Maybe that's coloured my view.)

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Has anyone seen Dolly’s stories on insta right now? There’s a pic of her and two friends in the sea and guess what? Dolly is topless while her other friends have swimsuits on 😂

she has this real obsession with being seen as a coquettish nymph.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.