Dolly Alderton / Pandora Sykes #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to like EDā€™s podcast a lot, but now itā€™s seems to be 20 or so mins of her gushing over her guest and making chit chat before we get to the fails. She has had some amazing guests but now it just seems like a love-in with her wittering on endlessly about how much she loves this weeks guest and how inspirational they are, which is cool if they actually are accomplished or inspiring. But the other week she had a former participant from MAFs Australia. Give it a rest Elizabeth, she took part in a reality show, has an OF and now appears to be going down the influencer route, can we dial down the effusive praise?!

I imagine Elizabeth to be a lovely friend, very sweet in person, however no one climbs up the greasy pole of the literary luvvies by being just sweet and talented so I suspect much like her pals Panda and Dolly she was/is connected or has no qualms of working the already tilted in her favour system.

Reactions: 7
I used to love love love ED and I still do admire her for her openness about infertility and relationship issues in the pastā€¦ but HTF has run its course. It was a brilliant idea and had loads of great episodes, but I havenā€™t listened for ages as I just donā€™t care about any of the guests she has now. I hate to say it but sheā€™s starting to really annoy me. I donā€™t know what it is - perhaps that sheā€™s everywhere these days? I like her as an interviewer - I think sheā€™s very good. And I quite liked Magpie. But her insta personality is irritating.
My heart breaks for her. She broke down on the podcast when talking with her friend the therapist about infertility. I canā€™t imagine the pain of it, and while I had a grumble about her I feel bad now tbh as if I couldnā€™t have kids Iā€™d think Iā€™d be too bitter to leave the house. Infertility is so unfair. I know lots of things in life are, but to be denied something as huge as a child & then you to have to live your life surrounded by people talking about their kids seems really hard to me.
I have a friend struggling at the moment. I struggle to bite my tongue as it seems so natural to offer reassurance whereas the reality is I canā€™t.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Dolly and Pandora- keep together or new thread? I think each of us has one we prefer to chat about, but the threads are quite slow moving so should be okay :) But for example that few pages of chat about Pandora and EasyJet won't interest anyone here from EIKAL to discuss Dolly

If we're doing different threads are there any title nominations? :)

Reactions: 1
I canā€™t believe that the person who created this title didnā€™t do a quick google search to see if the name had been taken?! So sloppy!

Reactions: 7
I canā€™t believe that the person who created this title didnā€™t do a quick google search to see if the name had been taken?! So sloppy!
Itā€™s probs the wrong demographic šŸ˜† donā€™t think 20 year olds listened to the High Low

Neither of them are well known in America. They're not even that well-known here honestly - not household names at all.

Neither of them are well known in America. They're not even that well-known here honestly - not household names at all.

Reactions: 3

Thatā€™s why Dollyā€™s TV show did NOT reach America on her own šŸ™„ connectionnnnns

Are 20 year olds listening to Emily R though? Who is her target audience?
Emily R pretends to be a feminist but lives for the male gaze šŸ™„ constant naked posed photos, she knows her body is perfect

Reactions: 12
Itā€™s funny as I used to really intimidated by people like Dolly and Pandora (maybe itā€™s because Iā€™m working class or something) as their references of books and films would always make me feel inferior. I never grew up knowing the works of Joan didion or binged the films of Jean-Luc Godard. I do still like Dolly though.

It wasnā€™t my world - I was never encouraged to read at home when I was younger but Iā€™m definitely curious and know when something is good. I just find it funny the hype behind everything I know about love the series, it was good but nowhere near as great as it would like to be. In a nutshell I basically couldnā€™t afford to be that fucked up girl with no money as I didnā€™t have any parents with money to bail me out so I HAD to make it work haha
same. I think this resonates with a lot of people from humbler beginnings.

I was never a big partier, Iā€™d never have gotten a taxi to Liverpool, I always made sure to keep afloat, didnā€™t end up deep in my overdraft.

because I didnā€™t have the safety net Dolly and her ilk had. If I effed up and spent all my rent money, Iā€™d be homeless. There was no traipsing back to mummy and daddyā€™s nice big house in the burbs with my childhood bedroom and conservatory, knowing this would all be available to me if I needed it, if I missed rent for whatever reason.

even long term thinking; I knew Iā€™d never have the stability of a family home to go back to. My parents would never be able to contribute to helping me buy a house, or towards a wedding. If I wanted stability and nice things, then I understood from a young age that Iā€™d have to work thrice as hard as the dollyā€™s of the world to get them.

Iā€™m middle class now, I own a house. I have a good job and no regrets.

but I could never be irresponsible and carefree and self indulgent the way Dolly etc. Was/is. I could never take risks, I couldnā€™t afford to sit at home writing a blog in the off chance it would be picked up. A career in writing or in the arts in general was too risky for a girl like me. My choices were always limited; chose a safe career or face instability all your life. It was a non brained. I never ever entertained the possibility of something like writing, or acting, or music. Because as a working class girl that just wasnā€™t a realistic option for me.

Dolly simply doesnā€™t understand how her social background has afford her the privileges of freedom, of choice. Of not having to grow up too soon (or indeed, at all). Thatā€™s the difference between working class girls and the Hannahs from suburban north London.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
same. I think this resonates with a lot of people from humbler beginnings.

I was never a big partier, Iā€™d never have gotten a taxi to Liverpool, I always made sure to keep afloat, didnā€™t end up deep in my overdraft.

because I didnā€™t have the safety net Dolly and her ilk had. If I effed up and spent all my rent money, Iā€™d be homeless. There was no traipsing back to mummy and daddyā€™s nice big house in the burbs with my childhood bedroom and conservatory, knowing this would all be available to me if I needed it, if I missed rent for whatever reason.

even long term thinking; I knew Iā€™d never have the stability of a family home to go back to. My parents would never be able to contribute to helping me buy a house, or towards a wedding. If I wanted stability and nice things, then I understood from a young age that Iā€™d have to work thrice as hard as the dollyā€™s of the world to get them.

Iā€™m middle class now, I own a house. I have a good job and no regrets.

but I could never be irresponsible and carefree and self indulgent the way Dolly etc. Was/is. I could never take risks, I couldnā€™t afford to sit at home writing a blog in the off chance it would be picked up. A career in writing or in the arts in general was too risky for a girl like me. My choices were always limited; chose a safe career or face instability all your life. It was a non brained. I never ever entertained the possibility of something like writing, or acting, or music. Because as a working class girl that just wasnā€™t a realistic option for me.

Dolly simply doesnā€™t understand how her social background has afford her the privileges of freedom, of choice. Of not having to grow up too soon (or indeed, at all). Thatā€™s the difference between working class girls and the Hannahs from suburban north London.
I couldnā€™t afford to intern and wanted to work in the media which has short contracts so my CV was unrelated temp job, media job, unrelated temp job, media jobā€¦ I kept getting rejected because ā€œanother candidate had more experienceā€- unpaid internships that gave them bigger blocks of experience :(

• Heart
Reactions: 6
New thread:

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.