Does anyone hate their job? #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Advice please

Is it unprofessional to let your current employer know you won’t be able to attend today due to having a job interview.

(Background) I work in a school has a lunchtime supervisor, my current hours are around 8 hours a week so not ideal.
I am still in receipt of certain benefits due to being on a 0-hour contract.
Not only do I myself want more hours but the dwp also want more hours from me which is understandable.

Dwp asked me to apply for this certain job, so I did! I found out this morning that I have a job interview today, it’s more hours and I can finally come off benefits🎉

I rang the school where I work and explained I wouldn’t be attending today, they asked why and I explained I had a job interview that I needed to attend, not only for me but for dwp has I have commitments with them.
Initially they were fine.

5 minutes later the admin team rang me and lets me know from the ‘head teacher’ that I was unprofessional letting them know I have a job interview and that I am unprofessional for letting them know I am actively applying for jobs.

I explained that I have no choice with being in receipt of benefits, I have to apply for further employment. They then asked for my work coach’ number so they can ring them and “have my back” by letting them know I have a job at the school and that should be enough for them.

What do I do? And what did I do wrong?
No, they're just mad that you're potentially leaving.

Reactions: 5
Advice please

Is it unprofessional to let your current employer know you won’t be able to attend today due to having a job interview.

(Background) I work in a school has a lunchtime supervisor, my current hours are around 8 hours a week so not ideal.
I am still in receipt of certain benefits due to being on a 0-hour contract.
Not only do I myself want more hours but the dwp also want more hours from me which is understandable.

Dwp asked me to apply for this certain job, so I did! I found out this morning that I have a job interview today, it’s more hours and I can finally come off benefits🎉

I rang the school where I work and explained I wouldn’t be attending today, they asked why and I explained I had a job interview that I needed to attend, not only for me but for dwp has I have commitments with them.
Initially they were fine.

5 minutes later the admin team rang me and lets me know from the ‘head teacher’ that I was unprofessional letting them know I have a job interview and that I am unprofessional for letting them know I am actively applying for jobs.

I explained that I have no choice with being in receipt of benefits, I have to apply for further employment. They then asked for my work coach’ number so they can ring them and “have my back” by letting them know I have a job at the school and that should be enough for them.

What do I do? And what did I do wrong?
In your situation with the dwp I don't think you're wrong. Do you normally have to justify an absence with e.g. a sick note? My initial thought was that maybe they just needed to record why you wouldn't be in that day but this "it's unprofessional" is a bit odd to me and sounds more like someone is realizing that zero-hour contracts aren't what people are staying for. I also don't quite get why they would want to call your work coach, and quite frankly find that a bit alarming. Can you contact your coach yourself and explain the situation there? Dwp asks you to apply, which you did with good success, you got that interview already, so why would they need to call them now?

Anyway, wishing you good luck with the interview and don't think about your current job doing it!

Reactions: 5
In your situation with the dwp I don't think you're wrong. Do you normally have to justify an absence with e.g. a sick note? My initial thought was that maybe they just needed to record why you wouldn't be in that day but this "it's unprofessional" is a bit odd to me and sounds more like someone is realizing that zero-hour contracts aren't what people are staying for. I also don't quite get why they would want to call your work coach, and quite frankly find that a bit alarming. Can you contact your coach yourself and explain the situation there? Dwp asks you to apply, which you did with good success, you got that interview already, so why would they need to call them now?

Anyway, wishing you good luck with the interview and don't think about your current job doing it!
My current boss says it’s because I am taking time off work to fulfill my commitments for the dwp, I explained that i have to do what they say pretty much due to me being in receipt of benefits.
The dwp are happy I have some what of a job but realistically it’s not taking me off benefits so obviously they require more hours.

I mentioned this to my workplace and that’s why they want to speak to my work coach because they think that the dwp needs to lay off me due to me having a job, they don’t realise that it’s not enough hours.

Thank you ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thank you both, I’ve never experienced bullying like it not even in school, some of the things were obvious targets like my appearance or strategies I used with clients, but some of the more bizarre reasons on their list included “offers help when not asked”, “doesn’t say good morning loudly enough” and “eats lunch the wrong way”! If someone has the time to swivel in their chair, stare across the office until I’ve finished a yoghurt and then swivel back to critique I really don’t know what else I can do for them. I tried so hard to change every single thing about myself to please this group, I made myself ill with the stress of trying to figure out how to make it stop, they would target every single element of both my character and my work, and I was damn good at my job, I brought in four times as much revenue as all of them combined! I’ve woken up angry today can you tell 😂 they still work there and I can’t help wondering if they chose their next victim, it makes me want to speak out but after years I don’t think there’s much I can do?
@Meg78 Personally, I think it’s very telling that the issues are with them and not you. I mean they’re still in the same position that you moved on from years ago. You recognized that you could do better and you are thankfully not in that place anymore, and there’s nothing they can do to you anymore.

It is also very normal to still experience all this pain years later, and to get triggered by things. I left a toxic job more than 2 years ago and it still haunts me. For about a year, I used to get overly anxious about things my current team would do. Would they be snide and tear apart my work when giving feedback? Would they give me the silent treatment? Would they try to use my words against me if I ever did say something? While my anxieties were valid, I did realise that I was attributing the words of others to my new work colleagues (all of who are generally quite professional), which isn’t fair either.

I think as another poster has said, getting a bit more closure on this would help you. It benefited me to talk to a therapist about my previous endeavors too.

Reactions: 4
My boss is a stealthy 🐍 and has done a lot of shady stuff including reorgs to get rid of people he didn’t like. Now it’s become apparent he’s pitting me against a coworker as a distraction from his own failings. Unfortunately this person is falling for it and has been very combative with me off the bat and it dawned on me what he’s done.

He has a habit of playing favourites and previously gave one person a lot of power and it didn’t work out. He’s now trying to do this with them. I had a meeting where I got no support and this coworker was super hostile and openly laughing at my explanation. He sat there and agreed with them. But something after told me to revisit my job description and what I was saying was there in black and white. He’s essentially gaslit me in the meeting as he is diluting my role and promising them things behind the scenes.

I intend to mediate with the coworker to create a professional united front and hopefully they won’t be too blinded by his love bombing, but it is a big deal to switch my number one role in my job description without consultation, right? We didn’t collectively pull him in the last team which led to a restructure and him getting away with poor management, so I am documenting everything and going to follow through on this. My view is it’s untenable anyway as I’m not playing favourites and having my career balance on this.

Reactions: 2
I’ve got major Sunday scaries as I’ve been off for a week and for some reason, I always get scared that I’ll get the sack when I get back.

I know I’m underperforming currently which doesn’t help ease my nerves. Logged in to check my emails and a job I was doing has been taken away from me to go in house as it was for another office. It wasn’t necessarily a bad email, it was just an email stating that they’d get someone else to do it while I’m away as that office love a quick turnaround, but something within me honestly feels so ill like I’m going to get the sack or something once they realise how bad it was.

• Heart
Reactions: 1